What's new

Can you do better? How would you design MK12?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
We've been criticizing NRS a lot good or bad they have made games and put stuff out either we agree or not.
In this thread, to anyone who answers it, picture yourself as in charge of designing MK12 system, meaning you have the freedom to decide how it plays, how it looks etc.

So how would you do it? Meaning what would it have according to your vision?

Error404

Noob
I'd make MKX ,but with longer stages and smaller character models , so that you can't cover the whole screen in a single run. That's all basicly.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I would attempt to have a more "full" experience with sort of a regression in the series. I am going to assume that WB ISN'T impacting my ability to change things.

1) I would opt for removal of the modifiers in the towers of time and instead focus on a new mode -- whether it is some form of tag team fighting, create a fighter, etc

2) I'd make a coherent, fully fleshed out story WITHOUT chapters instead it would be single fights, with story behind it instead of following one character

3) I'd make the majority of the system regress; although a somewhat hot topic, I think that the game should be heavy-combo based. I'd keep krushing blows, but all of them would lead to COMBOS. Of course there are zoners and mid range characters, but the bulk of characters do combos. I say this because it's one of my favorite things in fighting games

4) I would have a creative way(similar to soul calibur) of editting outfits for characters. You could also make your own dream fighter that uses the fighting abilities of a certain selected character. This way, Jacqui can be made a skin for jax, for example.

5) I'd remove fatal blows or super attacks and instead add 1-2 more fatalities per character

6) The Krypt would be set in stone, all one currency (coins) and all it is are custom parts for creation mode

7) I'd remove variations, have characters with glaring weaknesses and extreme strengths

8) I'd keep Kombat League, have filters for wifi, remove rewards and instead put in leaderboards and recognitions of character mastery (like Skarlet mastery level 10 would be the highest or something)

thlityoursloat

kick kick
  1. Variations removed
  2. Wakeup system rebalanced. Rolls are removed, u3s do more damage and are more plus on hit, u2 startup and hitboxes normalized to be more consistent across the cast for antiairing.
  3. Complete removal of half screen to full screen specials that keep the character in place.
  4. Forward advancing specials have no pushback on block.
  5. No meterburning launchers or advancing specials on block.
  6. Every attack has a hurtbox, including weapon attacks.
  7. No more free pushback on safe gapless strings, pushback to reset the neutral should either be attached to a risky gapped string, or a special that you have to spend resources on. Fuck this constant half screen string into pushback into half screen string into pushback nonsense, it's this game's equivalent to MKX plus frame oppression.
That's just off the top of my head rn.

I'd make MK11 but with the MK3 aesthetic. No sunday morning cartoon roster here. Wood elves? Forget about it. Shiny armor? Pssht.

Oh, and fatal blows would be toned down a bit.

MAN0

DevilApes
I'd keep MKX's base string combos rebalanced with no 5050 starters, armors and run button. I'd keep the flawless block system and replace breakouts with breakers. Artwork & aesthetics should be with MK1 in mind and no silly futuristic rainbow-ish skins, keep that shit to injustice.
Flawless block u2's and u3's hitbox should be fixed as well and not whiff, cause it's not fair to lose 2 bars on a good execution and get punished for that.
And dash canceling should be instant like in MK9.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
1 - Variations are gone. No more fragmented, incomplete versions of characters. Every character has their legacy moves as well as new moves/strings to make them feel fresh.

2 - All characters have at least one super solid anti-air that can be converted into a full combo. Jumping is also toned down greatly.

3 - Speaking of combos......BRING THEM BACK! MK11 COMBOS ARE DOOOOOGSHIT. No room for creativity whatsoever, save maybe Geras. This is the number 1 reason I can't stand playing or watching MK11. Just look at Kitana combos in MK9 or MKX compared to the borefest of MK11. Also, I don't care if you don't like her long combos. That's been Kitana since damn near MK2.

4 - Actually let Mick Gordon do the music this time. I've seen Mick say they turned him down because "it's not the direction we are looking to go in." Ok, great. I guess the direction they wanted to go was to once again make a game with completely forgettable music that you don't even realize is there. Just another bland aspect of MK11.

5 - Meter no longer auto-regens. It has to be earned.

6 - Breakaway is gone, never to return. Breakers are back but now require 3 bars of meter. 4 bars is max.

7 - Fatal Blows are one and done. They will not regenerate automatically. You whiffed it? That's too bad, get fucked. It was blocked? That's too bad, get fucked. They now work exactly the same as Rage Arts in Tekken 7. They are also now all close to mid range strikes to trigger the attack. No more horseshit full screen garbage that basically doesn't let you do ANYTHING if your opponent has FB loaded.

8 - The visuals of MK11 would return. I don't enjoy MK11 at all, but man is it a beautiful looking game. Just incredible what they've been able to do on current gen systems.

9 - All unlockable items can be obtained in any way you please. If you only want to play ranked, all items have a progression path to unlock them. Only want to play against the AI by yourself? Same deal.

10 - Throws no longer require a guess to tech. One button techs both ways. Throws are way too strong and yet another anti-hype aspect of the game.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure there's a ton more.

Last edited:

MuMuGuy

Noob
Besides what was listed already, I’d change how grabs work. Grabs being a 50/50 are a pain in the behind, especially since punishes are generally bad in MK11, forcing many players to use a grab as their punish.

Normal grabs may be teched with the normal grab input, a la Street Fighter. Grabs that punish the start-up or recovery of moves cannot be tech, a la Under Night. I’m not sure how well it’d work in NRS games, but having the Throw Reject Miss mechanic from ASW games would prevent people from mashing grabs, I’d modify it to maybe prevent players from attempting a normal grab, including teching for 12f.

MuMuGuy

Noob
I'd make it 3D. Just to change things up a bit. Let the past die.
This is the credited response. There are a bunch of 2d fighting games and the FGC needs another 3d fighting game to give Tekken legitimate competition.

With Dead or Alive 6 dying due to support ending (rightfully so due to consumer hostility) and Soul Calibur VI having really slow support and being an IP owned by Bandai Namco, what the hell else is there to challenge Tekken?

It doesn’t help that Tekken 7 was stale when it launched on consoles due to it not being much different than Tag 2 and having been in arcades for 2 years already.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
1. Get rid of variations.

2. Keep the meter system from MKX. You earn offensive meter, and stamina/defensive meter will auto regen. But no running. Instead defensive meter will be used for: push blocking, cancelling specials, wake-up up 2/3's, and teleporting certain distances.

3. I was gonna say no breakers at all, but I'm leaning towards 1 breaker per round. Also uses up both defensive meters

4. New rounds set both back in the middle screen, so you're not starting a round in the corner.

5. No interactables. (I've never personally been a fan of these) but I would add in stage transitions/fatalities

6. Keep fatal blows. But they're one and done. Hit or miss. Also some unique fatal blows or I guess supers. Using Sareena as an example, her fatal blow usage would go to summoning Kia and Jataaka, and they would both mirror her normals (so a standing 1 will turn into 3 hits, 3 hit string turns into 9 etc;.) And that would drain from her offensive meter.

7. Krushing blows stay, but they are mostly combo extenders.

All I can think of for now

Follow up: get rid of stance switch. Have it be a trait like button, so damage buff type, health recovery, that kinda stuff

Last edited:

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
There are a bunch of 2d fighting games and the FGC needs another 3d fighting game to give Tekken legitimate competition.
I wish Virtua Fighter wasn't dead.

Mostly I just think it'd be fun to see what MK could do under their current NRS team. MK already shares a bunch in common with 3D games (block button, string based attacks, stance switch). I'd love to see them try and make a crazy wild 3D fighting game.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Using MK11 as a template:

1. Adjust the defensive mechanics. Add recovery to breakaway, have only one delayed wakeup timing, maybe remove rolls in favor of push block. They wanted this game to have a heavy neutral focus but winning the neutral isnt super rewarding.

2. Replace Variations with Traits. Every character gets three and they dont always replace your core kit. Basically V-Skills

3. Add pushback to the ends of safe strings. This sets up more nuanced post block situations rather than just poke checking/throw

4. Fatal Blows are 100% invincible but have a startup animation to prevent you from just walking into them

5. Ranked mode is a traditional ladder like SF, DBFZ, and T7

6. Improve the combo game, have easy routes that deal solid damage and hard routes for swag and slightly more damage. Add on a bonus like additional meter gain for doing the hard ones (connecting X amount of hits post launch)

7. Normalize hitboxes

Last edited:

ScreamQueen

Rockin' Sindel since '95
There's a lot I like about MK11, but off the top of my head:

1. Fix Hit/Hurtboxes

2. No Variations. One great character, not three meh ones.

3. Fatal Blows, one and done, also, shorter FB cutscenes

4. PLEASE give it an exciting score. This poor man's MCU stuff is so cliche and un-hype. And "soft strings" for victory screens? The whole music direction needs scrapping and taking back to its roots, or in a new direction entirely.

5. Maybe don't give your grapplers teleports?

Last edited:

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
We've been criticizing NRS a lot good or bad they have made games and put stuff out either we agree or not.
In this thread, to anyone who answers it, picture yourself as in charge of designing MK12 system, meaning you have the freedom to decide how it plays, how it looks etc.

So how would you do it? Meaning what would it have according to your vision?
Close to Killer instinct (2013) as possible.
Perfect balance,
amazing visuals (personally i LOOVE MK11 visuals though)
Perfect Music
I.E ACCEPT MICK GORDEN AS THE COMPOSER RATHER THAN DENY HIM
If i had Advertised with customs, I WOULD NOT HAVE HAD TOURNEY VARIATIONS
I would add Motor Kombat, Chess Kombat, Custom Kombat TyM, A Better Krypt

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
BIG TIDDIES BULGING CROTCHES AND SPITTING EVERYWHERE.

Listen I'm not complicated, I just want GOOD customization with solid and fun gameplay. I can't believe I'm saying this, but combos in this game are just not satisfying and it's not because of their length, it's 'cause of their girth, you know what I mean?

Damage, where art thou???

No, I do not care what your character can do 40% damage, because you're going to show me 2 KB combos that cost 2 bars and frankly, fuck that shit. Fuck it all. I can already see it, Kung Lao weird-looking corner fuckery combo no KB no nothing. I know, I know. Even still, I do not want any of it.

I would build from MK9 system.

METER - I’d keep it the same, with the exception of how meter is built. Make it like 3rd Strike where you can build meter by whiffing normals. This would allow players to use other play styles, and take away the heavy meter advantage oppressive rushdown & zoning characters had.

X-RAY - Give each character 2-3 different x-ray moves to choose before battle. Give them different properties that offer incentive to use instead of breaker.

it’s not too much else I’d change.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'd simply re-release MK9, except with more polished graphics. Same roster, moves, mechanics, everything. That way people can finally have a game without balance issues, broken top tier and bottom tier characters, hitbox and hurtbox issues, and finally have complete characters again.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I'd simply re-release MK9, except with more polished graphics. Same roster, moves, mechanics, everything. That way people can finally have a game without balance issues, broken top tier and bottom tier characters, hitbox and hurtbox issues, and finally have complete characters again.
You'd need to re-work Kabal, Cyrax, and Sonya at the very least.