What's new

Question Can someone explain scorpions vortex in detail?

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
Recently picked him up now that his apparent shenanigans are gone, but I quickly realised his damage and unsafe moves make him... well... not very good. I'm guessing his vortex is useful, so can anyone explain it? Or link me to a thread/video explaining it? Much appreciated.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
scorpions vortex leaves your opponent standing at the end of a combo then after a regular Teleport punch you are left with advantage so your opponent has to guess whether you are doing an overhead or a low.

It is moot now because scorpion is unsafe on almost everything now.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
TheIrishFGCguy as mentioned to start scorpions vortex you end a combo on a standing opponent with telepunch ,generally 112~telepunch
generally you do this with MB spear but you can also use trait off a b3/stage interaction if you have no meter.

because of the normalazations to scorpion alot of his vortex options were taken away aswell as some made worse.
one of the best things thats isnt possible anymore was instant j3, this will now whiff because of changes to j3 hitbox.
of course wanting to end any mixup in MB telepunch is the standout thing that got worse because of changes.

if you want any kind of damage off the vortex you going to have to do something unsafe and even then the risk/reward in opponents favor vs alot of the cast.

unsafe mixup options
- b1 (low) -9 on block
-b1~trait -4 on block but trait can be stuffed after the b1
*b12 -12 on block (B12~flipskick is safe vs a few characters to be fair but its mu dependent)
- b2 (overhead) -7 on block
- instant overhead 1~telepunch, full combo if wrong
- hellfire - this is not guaranteed after a vortex even though alot of people put it in there combos,full combo if wrong
- any form of telepunch mixup, full combo if wrong

safe options
- df1 (low) 0 on block +10 on block, not hit confirmable so you must yolo a special cancel
*2u3 (mid,overhead) +4 on block,launch on hit, hard to hit confirm after just 2nd hit hitting but alot easier than df1 lol
- crossover j3 (overhead) you can to time a crossover j3 well well now or the opponent can just duck it or you have to do it so late theres no mixup of its a crossup over not.
-use 212 to try setup up a unsafe 21~MB telepunch mixup

* there are stars next to this two because as of v1.05 2nd hit of these strings whiff on certain characters, hopefully the 2u3 gets a fix soon as its a overhead so its the more important of the two but id like both too get fixed eventually,
anyway i made a chart of who they both do and dont currently whiff on...
http://testyourmight.com/threads/2u3-b12-hit-whiff-data-on-block-full-cast.35741/

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
TheIrishFGCguy as mentioned to start scorpions vortex you end a combo on a standing opponent with telepunch ,generally 112~telepunch
generally you do this with MB spear but you can also use trait off a b3/stage interaction if you have no meter.

because of the normalazations to scorpion alot of his vortex options were taken away aswell as some made worse.
one of the best things thats isnt possible anymore was instant j3, this will now whiff because of changes to j3 hitbox.
of course wanting to end any mixup in MB telepunch is the standout thing that got worse because of changes.

if you want any kind of damage off the vortex you going to have to do something unsafe and even then the risk/reward in opponents favor vs alot of the cast.

unsafe mixup options
- b1 (low) -9 on block
*b12 -12 on block (B12~flipskick is safe vs a few characters to be fair but its mu dependent)
- b2 (overhead) -7
- hellfire - this is not guaranteed after a vortex even though alot of people put it in there combos,full combo if wrong
- any form of telepunch mixup, full combo if wrong

safe options
- df1 (low) 0 on block +10 on block, not hit confirmable so you must yolo a special cancel
*2u3 (mid,overhead) +4 on block,launch on hit, hard to hit confirm after just 2nd hit hitting but alot easier than df1 lol
- crossover j3 (overhead) you can to time a crossover j3 well well now or the opponent can just duck it or you have to do it so late theres no mixup of its a crossup over not.

* there are stars next to this two because as of v1.05 2nd hit of these strings whiff on certain characters, hopefully the 2u3 gets a fix soon as its a overhead so its the more important of the two but id like both too get fixed eventually,
anyway i made a chart of who they both do and dont currently whiff on...
http://testyourmight.com/threads/2u3-b12-hit-whiff-data-on-block-full-cast.35741/

I've notice that whiff thing quite often now, especially with b12 as it's my go to option for the vortex and it's extremely annoying when it whiffs. The worst part about this is I doubt they'll fix it, I have a feeling scoprion will just be left alone from now on. Hopefully i'm wrong, due to how bad they've made him they could AT LEAST give us his j3 back. :( Although his j3 is still pretty good as it is.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
The mixup vortex in injustice wasn't with B2, it was about J3, J3, or J3~MB Tele j3 again. all these moves where heavily nerfed.
Well yeah I'm talking post-nerf. I'm saying now that j3~tele isn't 99% of what he does, is he supposed to make you guess a low (b12 spear) or high (b2, ff...) or are those options unable to be made safe?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Well yeah I'm talking post-nerf. I'm saying now that j3~tele isn't 99% of what he does, is he supposed to make you guess a low (b23 spear) or high (b2, ff...) or are those options unable to be made safe?
no scorpion move were buffed after the nerf.

The reason his mixup game was in the air is because his low and overhead option on ground were slow, post nerf, they're still slow. Enjoy the YOLO and stay positive:) as Rampage254 would say ^^

D

Deleted member 28105

I'm almost certain that this stands as a mere reminder, but I scarcely see scorpions doing these, so I figure I'd throw this out there.

It is commonly interpreted that Scorpion has 3 main options when beginning his vortex, low, overhead, and cross up. However, this is completely ludicrous, as Scorpion has a plethora of options that come as a direct result of the jump 3 cross up misconception. The fact of the matter is, a formidable/knowledgeable opponent will standing block the cross up as soon as they see that scorpion is airborne, which opens up a variety of gimmicks that can be put to good use.
  • Neutral jump 3/1, when your opponent blocks cross up after perceiving the jump, you hit them same side with the neutral
  • Fake jump in, into low (b1, df1, etc.), fake a cross up jump in into a low starter, or neutral jump into a low starter to extend the effectiveness of your mind games
  • Fake jump in, into instant overhead jump 1, this can be done after your opponent experiences the previous mixup, fake the cross up, and as your opponent blocks low, his them with an instant overhead. Once again, this can be done same side as well
  • Teleport cancels, probably the most effective IMO, fake a cross up and while your opponent standing blocks, cancel into a MB teleport into the vortex to hit the opposite side. This can be done with a jump, an actual jump in attack, or a wiffed attack. Once again, this can be done with a neutral jump for mind games that will turn your opponents cranium into scrambled eggs
Just a friendly reminder that Scorpion is not in fact, reduced to a mere 3 options while operating a vortex, he has an abundant amount more than that.