What's new

General/Other - Kenshi Buffs Kenshi Desperately Needs.

Do you think these buffs make sense or these aren't what's wrong with Kenshi at all?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

carrion4worm

king of the underground
Kenshi players want their one move offense (like MK9) and they won't be happy until they get it. All these other buff suggestions are subterfuge. We already have a brain-dead, linear, one-move character in MKX...tele hell sparks, anyone?

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Kenshi players want their one move offense (like MK9) and they won't be happy until they get it. All these other buff suggestions are subterfuge. We already have a brain-dead, linear, one-move character in MKX...tele hell sparks, anyone?
To be honest hell sparks are not even close to how braindead MK9 spirit charge was. Lets be serious here.

Levaranoia

War God
People like Kenshi. He's certainly cooler than whatever obscure character from Shaolin Monks/Mythologies/3D MKs you have a hard on for.

And yes, I know Kenshi came from the 3D MKs. One of the few good ones.
Who said I like those characters lol? Im a fan of the "ninjas" and cyborgs. But seeing as characters like Havik and Reiko made big impact on the comic story those guys deserved spots in this game.

carrion4worm

king of the underground
To be honest hell sparks are not even close to how braindead MK9 spirit charge was. Lets be serious here.
damn! how did you know I was referring to spirit charge?lol!! You're right, but I think Hell Sparks is the single most annoying move in MKX. Doesn't hold a candle next to that bullshit Kenshi had though.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Well, this is a small patch, nothing compared with the previous one. Let's have hope for the next one.
Nah, I doubt they'd give him any meaningful buffs any time soon. Maybe in 2 months or so his teleflurry will have 2 less recovery frames or whatever.
I'll still play Kenshi tho, only when I'm feeling masochistic.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Nah, I doubt they'd give him any meaningful buffs any time soon. Maybe in 2 months or so his teleflurry will have 2 less recovery frames or whatever.
I'll still play Kenshi tho, only when I'm feeling masochistic.
I'm a full time masochistic I mean kenshi main... The terms are interchangeable since they have the same definition

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
I get what you mean, but sometimes you gotta let shit go. Kenshi in MKX might just be one of those things.
I will continue playing Balanced in any case, and also FC Cage. Both are too cool to be dropped!
Balanced variation forces you to play perfectly, making the opponent do mistakes, and I like that.
But I know picking them always will require me to play at 200% to win if buffs don't come. I'll take it as a challenge xD

By the way...why so many people against Kenshi buffs? Look at the poll...my god xDD

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
I will continue playing Balanced in any case, and also FC Cage. Both are too cool to be dropped!
Balanced variation forces you to play perfectly, making the opponent do mistakes, and I like that.
But I know picking them always will require me to play at 200% to win if buffs don't come. I'll take it as a challenge xD
Nah you need to play at 1000% and have lady luck on your side at all times

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
I'll still use Kenshi too, but at the same time I don't want to limit myself. I'm not a tier whore but I don't think using Kenshi is a viable choice since all good players know the matchup. I'll stick with Kenshi in case he does get serious buffs but that is very unlikely. You'd probably win more with goro before the 8/31 patch than with Kenshi now.

I Am The LK

Here my battle cry (Meow)
Why would be need a damage buff? He gets plenty of damage meterless in stunt double and in a list he trades damage for pressure and in fisticuffs he trades damage for chip. I think he could use a couple buffs but I don't see the damage buff. I wouldn't mind if be did I would just like you to explain to me why he would need a slight damage buff? I'm curious and you have peaked my interest, and I'm not sure how I feel about nutpunch potentially being a low, I'm not saying it is a stupid idea I just need time to think about it, since I think fixing the gaps in his strings and giving him a faster poke should be more of a priority, since if I am mistaken his fastest normal is I believe 9 frames which is his d4 is it not? Correct me if I'm wrong.
You seem like one of the rare ones that doesn't shit on someones opinion. Thank you. So here's my thoughts.23% midscreen without meter is awful. I honestly don't care what anyone says he needs a damage buff. His corner damage is average because he can get to 33% without meter. When most characters that have a corner gamer can break 40% with 1 bar. Liu Kang can. Predator. Reptile. JAX. And a few others that have a strong midscreen game. I don't find that fair. Now as for Stunt Double. Stunt Double does great damage BUT hitting the overhead on a smart opponent is very difficult. And he loses his zoning with slower projectiles given in this variation. You shouldn't use the clones for zoning since they will be used for pressure. Also Cage in Stunt Double can barely setup his clones safely without putting himself in a PUNISH ME situation. And when he has no clones he has the safe overhead which will get blocked. And the F34 string thats safe now thank god. But he then loses all pressure and zoning abilities when the clones are gone. 7 seconds is to long. A LIST is great. But needs to pack on a bit more damage as I explained before. Fisticuffs is just terrible. Interruptable b1212 string. WITH WAY TO MUCH PUSHBACK. No true pressure without putting himself in a PUNISH ME situation with the interruptable string. And his 'chip buff' is way to slow. WAYYYY TO SLOW. His pokes should be faster which I hope they to fix. His d4 is amazing though. So this is my thoughts.

I dont know much about kenshi other than he isnt used often. His bullshit in mk9 left me with a negative view of him as a cheap character. I wouldnt mind some changes, but he doesnt need to be an inpenetrable (is that a word?) tank like he was in that game where 80% of the cast cannot get near him

I also dont agree with the op complaining that his specials are unsafe on block up close. Most of the cast is like that with only some exceptions.

ismael4790

You seem like one of the rare ones that doesn't shit on someones opinion. Thank you. So here's my thoughts.23% midscreen without meter is awful. I honestly don't care what anyone says he needs a damage buff. His corner damage is average because he can get to 33% without meter. When most characters that have a corner gamer can break 40% with 1 bar. Liu Kang can. Predator. Reptile. JAX. And a few others that have a strong midscreen game. I don't find that fair. Now as for Stunt Double. Stunt Double does great damage BUT hitting the overhead on a smart opponent is very difficult. And he loses his zoning with slower projectiles given in this variation. You shouldn't use the clones for zoning since they will be used for pressure. Also Cage in Stunt Double can barely setup his clones safely without putting himself in a PUNISH ME situation. And when he has no clones he has the safe overhead which will get blocked. And the F34 string thats safe now thank god. But he then loses all pressure and zoning abilities when the clones are gone. 7 seconds is to long. A LIST is great. But needs to pack on a bit more damage as I explained before. Fisticuffs is just terrible. Interruptable b1212 string. WITH WAY TO MUCH PUSHBACK. No true pressure without putting himself in a PUNISH ME situation with the interruptable string. And his 'chip buff' is way to slow. WAYYYY TO SLOW. His pokes should be faster which I hope they to fix. His d4 is amazing though. So this is my thoughts.
Totally agree with you. I made a thread about Fisticuffs where people shared his ideas about buffs/fixes for him (it was called "What changes would you do to fisticuffs"). Nrs ignored everything, but hey, we can still talk, maybe one day our voice we will be heard and taken into account xD

I'm so lucky btw, in the last two patches all the characters I play got practically ignored! I should play lottery.

Manatee_Warrior

Kenshi buffs plz
I would like to see his low pokes a lil faster on start up, DB4 faster and a luanch or more low/overhead combos, close db4 on block need to be same as normal db4 for balanced. Kenjutsu needs his variation strings safer and he needs to be a bit more meterless combo friendly. Idk about possessed i dont play that variation.

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
I can't speak for Balanced and Possesed but I've played Kenjutsu a lot and I think most changes to make him competitive are on DB1:

- The damage penalty is currently 0.85 and then another of 0.8 for a total of 0.68

2 damage penalties on a single hit, specially one that is HARD to connect into a combo, makes ZERO sense. Most launchers range from 0.8 to 0.85 and are way easier to connect.

- It should be easier to connect a combo. Make it like Balanced rising karma so you have to use stamina for a small run, but you should be able to connect a 4,3 combo from it.

- The hitbox should be bigger to be a reliable antiair. Right now it's worthless to try to antiair with it.

- If they have to compensate by making it the most unsafe move ever, I don't care, I will be careful when using it so go for it and make it -10000000 on block. Kenjutsu needs this move to be useful.

Make all these changes to this single move (in other words: make the move what it should've been instead of a piece of crap hard to connect and applying a titanic damage penalty that prevents you from breaking the 30% barrier without meter and makes spending meter worthless as the increase will be scaled down a lot) and suddenly Kenjutsu jumps into the competitive scene without being OP.

I would try to make B2 better too, at least to make all VARIATION EXCLUSIVE moves worth using. I think with how hard the animation seems to hit, it should be neutral or even plus on block. Being soooooo slow and with worse properties than F3 or spinning blade, there is zero reasons to use it right now and being plus on block would make it at least not crap even if you wouldn't use it too much because of how slow it is.

Maybe make it launch like Quan Chi's hold B2. But I really think that applying the mentioned fixes to his DB1 rising blade would be enough to make him decent and competitive.

I Am The LK

Totally agree with you. I made a thread about Fisticuffs where people shared his ideas about buffs/fixes for him (it was called "What changes would you do to fisticuffs"). Nrs ignored everything, but hey, we can still talk, maybe one day our voice we will be heard and taken into account xD

I'm so lucky btw, in the last two patches all the characters I play got practically ignored! I should play lottery.
Im so happy to be acknowledged by you. I so badly want to play fisticuffs but it SUUUUUCKS. Do you even win with Fisticuffs? Is it possible

ismael4790

I can't speak for Balanced and Possesed but I've played Kenjutsu a lot and I think most changes to make him competitive are on DB1:

- The damage penalty is currently 0.85 and then another of 0.8 for a total of 0.68

2 damage penalties on a single hit, specially one that is HARD to connect into a combo, makes ZERO sense. Most launchers range from 0.8 to 0.85 and are way easier to connect.

- It should be easier to connect a combo. Make it like Balanced rising karma so you have to use stamina for a small run, but you should be able to connect a 4,3 combo from it.

- The hitbox should be bigger to be a reliable antiair. Right now it's worthless to try to antiair with it.

- If they have to compensate by making it the most unsafe move ever, I don't care, I will be careful when using it so go for it and make it -10000000 on block. Kenjutsu needs this move to be useful.

Make all these changes to this single move (in other words: make the move what it should've been instead of a piece of crap hard to connect and applying a titanic damage penalty that prevents you from breaking the 30% barrier without meter and makes spending meter worthless as the increase will be scaled down a lot) and suddenly Kenjutsu jumps into the competitive scene without being OP.

I would try to make B2 better too, at least to make all VARIATION EXCLUSIVE moves worth using. I think with how hard the animation seems to hit, it should be neutral or even plus on block. Being soooooo slow and with worse properties than F3 or spinning blade, there is zero reasons to use it right now and being plus on block would make it at least not crap even if you wouldn't use it too much because of how slow it is.

Maybe make it launch like Quan Chi's hold B2. But I really think that applying the mentioned fixes to his DB1 rising blade would be enough to make him decent and competitive.
Amen. I'm starting with Kenjutsu and I totally agree with what you are pointing here. He seems like unfinished. It's sad, but let's have hope!

Im so happy to be acknowledged by you. I so badly want to play fisticuffs but it SUUUUUCKS. Do you even win with Fisticuffs? Is it possible
You can win with every character, of course. But now there are very few cases where picking Fisticuffs over, for example, A-List, benefits you.
I play FC since day one and I'm used to it. But getting openings with him is much harder. He has less damage, less pressure, less everything. But hes cool and that's why I still play him. I would never recommend him for competitive environments as he is now, though.

I Am The LK

Amen. I'm starting with Kenjutsu and I totally agree with what you are pointing here. He seems like unfinished. It's sad, but let's have hope!

You can win with every character, of course. But now there are very few cases where picking Fisticuffs over, for example, A-List, benefits you.
I play FC since day one and I'm used to it. But getting openings with him is much harder. He has less damage, less pressure, less everything. But hes cool and that's why I still play him. I would never recommend him for competitive environments as he is now, though.
Whats your stratagy with fisticuffs? I MUST KNOW

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
This thread got completely derailed.

I agree with these buffs to Kenjutsu. Kenjutsu lacks a decent anti-air and the damage scaling on DB1 is royally fucked.