What's new

Bryan Fury Thread

I don't know. I wouldn't consider Bryan to be a 50/50 character. At least no more than the generic 50/50 hop kick game that Tekken 6 has (due to the relative lack of hop kick punishment). The taunt is really good, especially on wake up, I think other characters have better 50/50 games with their resets. When I'm facing a Bryan who can taunt > jet upper, I pay close attention to my proximity to the wall. If I'm close enough to mess up the Bryan player's juggle, I will tech every time because the taunt > jet upper damage will be minimized. In this instance it's not a guessing game, at least in my opinion. The situation dictates how I react.

Maybe it's because Bryan is just a good all around character, but whenever I'm fighting a solid Bryan, the 50/50 is not what I'm worried about. Unless I'm fighting online, then all I'm worried about is whether or not I can block a 20-frame Snake Edge... :(
Okay, so basically, in case you didn't realise, this is how Bryan's 50/50 works:

After any juggle, he can B! and then use u/f+3. After that, as I'm sure you're aware, he can dash towards you to Taunt and catch your tech, and then use Taunt:JU to relaunch you for free. If he thinks you won't tech, he can dash and then pick you up with d/b+2 for a reset juggle (which gives him 39 dmg + wall-carry). So yeah, it's definitely a very large part of his game, especially as either option is safe, and if he Taunts and you didn't tech he can just cancel into a ground-hitting move (most likely qcb+4 for 20 dmg).

At the wall, if he lands Taunt:JU at an angle, he gets that low W!, right? Well he can still get a full juggle out of it. JU, W!, f,F+4, d/b+2, f+1, b+3~f,4,1,2
He'll do this along the side of the wall, and will likely get another W! at the end. Without the extra W! at the end the combo does around 85 dmg (well, that's with Taunt:b+4, JU, which is what Bryan should be doing at the wall anyway). You really should never tech at the wall against a Bryan that can use Taunt properly (although Bryan has options for that, too...)

Thing is, though, a good Bryan will be throwing 50/50s in your face all match, even while you're both standing. He'll keep Taunting in your face, and cancelling into things until you feel like you can't hit him out of his Taunt, and then he'll start Taunt:JUing your ass (or even just Taunt,f+2,1,4, which is bad enough). He can also cancel straight into 3+4 and f+3 from his Taunt, which makes the animations kind of meld together, making it extremely hard to tell that he's not Taunting and actually using a CH launcher.

I could go on, but yeah... That's a few of the many ways in which Bryan is insane, and why he's the greatest mixup character in the game.

REYTHEGREAT

i wish i was into tekken. i bought and was just smashing buttons really. I never took the time to learn it. but marshal law was is a beast tho! lol.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
i wish i was into tekken. i bought and was just smashing buttons really. I never took the time to learn it. but marshal law was is a beast tho! lol.
it took a while for the game to finally "click", thats when i stopped mashing buttons. i still suck at the game but i know kinda what im doing.

DrDogg

Noob
I very much understand Bryan and his 50/50. I played against Naps long before the console version was released. The fact that you mention Bryan has a 50/50 game when you're just standing there tells me that you need to play higher level competition. If you're freely using Bryan's taunt in open ground and not as a tech setup (I refuse to call it a tech catch), your opponent's simply aren't playing against Bryan correctly. It's very risky for a Bryan player to just run up and taunt like that against someone who knows how to punish him for it. Just like a Bryan player can't spam Orbital Heel, despite the fact that it's safe and crushes lows.

As far as Bryan's wall game, you completely misunderstood what I was saying. If Bryan is too close to the wall when he starts a juggle (either a reset or taunt > jet upper), he can't get a full juggle. If the Bryan player attempts the full juggle, I don't have to worry about wall teching at all. If the Bryan player recognizes he won't get the full juggle, I do have to worry about wall shenanigans, but the damage is still far less than if he got a full wall combo.

Many of the top players don't even view Bryan as top tier. He's very, very solid, but most place him at upper mid tier or high tier (depending on how you categorize your tier list).

Okay... Well first of all you mentioned that you feel other characters have better 50/50 resets than Bryan. Name one.

As for the wall part: I see what you mean now. You meant if you were B! near the wall and he then went for the Taunt_d/b+2 50/50. Fair enough, but he'd still get a full juggle. If he gets the pickup, he just shortens it to d/b+2, f+1,4, W! or whatever is applicable for the distance, then he can do b+3~f,3,4 into the whole Taunt stuff again. If you tech'd and he did Taunt:JU and it didn't W! you, he can just use f,F+4 to B! you and still get a decent amount of dmg + the Taunt setup.

As for Taunting in your face: The reason it's a constant 50/50 is because Bryan can cancel it at anytime. Okay, sure, it's not really a 50/50 because there are more than two options, but my point was just that a match with Bryan is one big mixup. Sure, you can try to CH Bryan out of Taunt, but if the Bryan expects it he can just Taunt straight into his own CH launcher (like 3+4 or f+3 as I said, or even a simple CH 4, if he thinks you'll attack straight away). If you just stand there then obviously you'll eat the Taunt. He doesn't even have to be at a risk, really, because he can just cancel into blocking as soon as he sees you do anything.

It's fine to say you've played Naps, and so you know how Bryan works, but you can't know him properly unless you've played the character yourself. Also Naps is quite a cautious player with Bryan's Taunt; I rarely see him Taunting in the opp's face. Have you not seen Knee play? He Taunts between everything he does, and the opp is left with nothing but a giant mind****. You can say it's risky to play that way, but don't suggest it's the wrong way.

Check this video:
(Knee is the Bryan in the Tapout shirt, despite what the video says).

You'll see him early-on cancelling Taunt straight into b+1. In the second match you see him Taunt-dash into f+3 and catch the other Bryan, because he'd have thought he was going to Taunt:JU (2:43). You see him in the next round Taunting in the opp's face and then cancelling into b+1, as well. I'm sure there's more, but you can find them yourself if you're interested, I'm sure.

EDIT: A great example at 1:20:

DrDogg

Noob
I think Bruce has a better 50/50 reset.

I mentioned playing Naps because he's the best Bryan in the US. There's a reason he's the best. I also mentioned that this was before the console release to indicate that I've been playing Tekken 6 longer than most people in the US. It's not like I'm new to the game and don't understand how it works.

I watched that vid you linked to. Who is Juanan? The fact that Knee is taunting in the guy's face doesn't prove anything. I didn't say it was bad to taunt in someone's face no matter what. I said you need better competition if the people you're playing against let you get away with it. If the people I'm playing against let me do 60 frame unblockables, I'll keep doing it. Doesn't make it a good tactic. Find a vid of Knee playing against solid comp who knows how to play against Bryan and taunting in their face. It's not a good idea if the person knows how to properly react, just like it's not a good idea to spam Orbital Heel. Doesn't mean using Orbital Heel is a bad tactic.

If you don't know who he is, look him up, he's decent. Hell, you can see from that vid that he's decent, it's just that Knee is better. That Nina was decent, too.

Knee and Naps had a FT5 mirror-match at SoCal ages ago, and they were Taunting in each other's face, and eventually Knee won with an open-ground Taunt:JU. I've explained it as best I can, really. I'm not saying you don't understand Tekken, or even Bryan, but apparently you don't understand the mental pressure that Taunt creates, and the very low risk involved when you can feel out your opponent properly.

As for Bruce's 50/50: The UB is seeable, so you can just choose not to tech. He can't cancel it, so you can punish it with a getup kick. Pretty sure the reset is punishable if you tech it, too, because he ends up BT. Also, Bryan's payoff is better, simply because he can create the exact same setup again either way.

~NAKM~

Tekken, SF4: AE, BB: CP, and Persona 4: Arena
Yoshimitsu comes to mind for decent oki resets, but that's only if he's on a wall stage. If Nina had her T5.0 assests then she'd be a candidate too.

Jandek

Noob
yeah as a Yoshi player I would say he has the most tech catches and things of that nature, though he is still garbage tier (though I love anyway)

and to those that don't know how to play tekken, it is the most rewarding fighting game to fully understand and play at high level IMO