What's new

Guide - Brood Mother Brood Mother General Discussion Thread

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Better to have a thread for each variation, makes it easier to find info then going through one general discussion thread. Post all tech/strats/combos here.

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
So I finally found a use for krawler besides throwing it out on knock down. This combo is probably known, but I found it tonight in practice mode and thought I'd share:

212~krawler f34 f44~ovi

32% mid screen, no meter. There's all kinds of enders you could do, but this is the most damaging I found, plus it puts them in your optimal footsie range. The cool thing is that the last hit of f2 is an overhead and the krawler is a low, so you're training your opponent to stand block until they see the krawler come out and then crouch block. But you can choose to cancel into krawler after the second hit of the 212 string to catch them stand blocking anticipating the last overhead.

@Blind_Ducky @Vak Phoenix

I got a setup you guys can test. I haven't tested it as it is late at night for me and uhh..yeah.

It appears to high/low at the same time and regardless of the jumping part, nothing a run cancel f2 can't solve.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
I really like this variation, seems to be useful in widest variety of matches. I'm working on tech and combos for it, let me know if there is anything specific I should look for.

I've got two meterless combos for us, both use the Krawler so watch your timer on them to make sure you can use them. Does anyone have specifics on cooldown for the krawler?
This is highly situational, but if someone corners you and does something punishable you get great damage and turn the tables

Zoidberg747

So the only strings krawler can be cancelled into are 212 and f44?
Also, are there any df1 dash/run cancel properties in this variation like in SQ?
You can do dash cancels in brood mother as well.

Here are some interesting things with Krawler that I found-
If you end your combo in b21 and throw out a krawler, you can jump in and the krawler and jip will hit close to the same time. Probably loses to EX wakeups but I will check.

I also like to throw out a krawler and run in for dash cancel pressure if I can.

Also, the krawler is a restand if used as a combo ender, but it puts the opponent like dash distance away from you.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
You can do dash cancels in brood mother as well.

Here are some interesting things with Krawler that I found-
If you end your combo in b21 and throw out a krawler, you can jump in and the krawler and jip will hit close to the same time. Probably loses to EX wakeups but I will check.

I also like to throw out a krawler and run in for dash cancel pressure if I can.

Also, the krawler is a restand if used as a combo ender, but it puts the opponent like dash distance away from you.
b21 krawler is sick for setups, I'm making a vid about it for tonight or tomorrow. if they wake up backdash it keeps coming for them.

Zoidberg747

I really like this variation, seems to be useful in widest variety of matches. I'm working on tech and combos for it, let me know if there is anything specific I should look for.

I've got two meterless combos for us, both use the Krawler so watch your timer on them to make sure you can use them. Does anyone have specifics on cooldown for the krawler?
This is highly situational, but if someone corners you and does something punishable you get great damage and turn the tables
5 secs from when it hits, so I would advise against using it in combos because of how valuable it can be for oki.

Malec

Noob
I can't believe that in a week, there are only 8 posts in this thread ;_;

I like D'Vorah BM, but everyone is using SQ lol
I also dont get it, is SQ so much more powerfull? Or is it just the higher and meterless damage

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
I'm Venomous all the way, but I'll start playing Broodmother just to get people on it. Is it actually any good for zoning, or does she shoot too slow?
Depends on who you're fighting, if it's someone who is usually susceptible to getting zoned out anyway (like Cassie or Kotal) then you absolutely can. Every hit with bug blast gets you another free blast or spawning puddle. They can run all the way in if they read the puddle. I think its the best mind games variation, especially against meter dependant characters who need to armor through krawler setups. They blow all their armor on wakeup, giving you plenty of pressure and mixups when they're out. She (they, as she would say) is really good at that in any variation though. I'm working on tech, need to record videos!

So I really do want to sub this character, but having trouble justifying picking her over Swarm Queen.

What setup are you using for oki?

The only setup into b21 xx df3 I can find is using EX db1 such as

212 xx EX db1 > nj.P > run > b21 xx df3

I was about to write something very different right here, but I just noticed that by delaying the nj.P until far into falling, you can pretty much eliminate the 2 problems I was having. 1) You can space yourself after this for the followup. 2) You actually stall long enough to get another krawler out making this somewhat loopable with meter!

So now my main grievance is hit confirms.

How can you confirm into a setup like this off other starters? A high/low starter would be nice but I don't think they exist outside Swarm Queen because Brood Mother's dash cancels are just far too slow?

EDIT: You can actually do this meterlessly (but using stamina still)

213 xx df[1] > run > b21 xx df3

Only 18% damage on its own and if you want to loop oki, you will need to spend meter on following combos.

Last edited:

Malec

Noob
So I really do want to sub this character, but having trouble justifying picking her over Swarm Queen.
having the same problem with Venomous, would like to play D'Vorah, but it just feels like I would limit my self to much picking something over SQ variation and SQ seems boring to me :/

Zoidberg747

Is Brood Mother just that bad that this thread is dead?
I don't see it being viable until they make the cooldown on krawler shorter or gone. That is pretty much the only way this variation could be good, unless they make her shot cancels have better frames closer to wasp cancels.

Sublime

Stop blocking my hits with your face!
What are our options when cornered by TG Raiden? i tryed ex "legs" that i call them lol or breaker but still i tend to get cornered.

We got some fast normals that we could stuff some of Raidens strings?

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Somewhat guide incoming!!!

I've mained Brood Mother since launch, but haven't really had time to share my notes, although I have pages and pages and pages that I've gathered for myself. Last weekend I got 48th at Combo Breaker with just Brood Mother :) I know 48th isn't that great but it was my first major and got top 64 in a tourney with almost 300 people. I lost to Darth Arma and Michaelangelo in my pool but made it to loser's semis first beating everyone I played besides those two, can't be too mad about losing to Arma and Michaelangelo ;)

My main combo I use is:
f34, d1, f34, d1, f44, Low Bug... This is the staple tactic, the go to when you can get it. It leads to all things good.

Then run up for another f34. With the low bug hitting the same time as your overhead, you are hitting twice so you beat most armor, except punchwalk and xrays. You can time it so the bug hits low first or your overhead making it a really good hard to blockable. Not only this, but you can do this setup, but then run in and f2, wasp cancel, then 50/50 with b12 or f22, or throw, whatever you like with WC shenannigans. Now, if you land the first combo, then your vortex combo, you've taken about 60% of their life, but your low bug isn't ready again by the time you finish your second combo, so you can go for damage by ending with ovipositor, or I like ending with f42 to cross under, setting up great spacing to jump over on their wakeup (try it, its gross, you'll like it).

Alternate endings:
f34, d1, f34, d1, f42... For crossunder perfect jump distance
f34, d1, f44, low bug... To maintain corner position
f34, d1, f34, d1, f44, ovipositor... For damage if your low bug hasn't reset yet
f34, d1, f34, throw... For throw resets, or for that sick brutality

From a NJP:
NJP, d1, f34, d1, f44, low bug

One more variation I use is to just end it early to make the setup happen before they have time to think about it. In this case I'll use f34, d1, f34, d1, low bug. This makes them land close, and with your bug out, you can cross up over them while they wakeup and make them block the bug and your overhead crossup at the same time. Tech roll gets them farther back to prevent crossup, but not out of range of your jump punch, so win win for deborah, you will incubate my young.

All this f34? f3 is 18 frame? You really land that slow ass overhead? In this variation yes. You put low bugs out and make them guess if your overhead step is going to hit first or the bug. This variation puts f34 to work.

Fastest punish:
11b2, d1, f34, d1, f44, low bug

212 mixups:
212 has the great mixup built in with 2 being over head, and 21 leaving you at 0 frames so you can do b12, so this is a string you'll want to use for pressure. When the overhead hits I like to follow with f34, d1, f44, low bug

What about their wakeup options?
Now, this setup alone can do work, but, people will tech roll and jump out and use wakeups that go over it, so you need to be ready to put your setup out there, then adapt when they use these options. Put the bug out then block their wakeup, or put the bug out and run in to chase down a tech roll and jump. Maybe just put the low bug out then use puddle to put them in block. The nice thing is that your low bug forces action. Remember that even if they find a way out of this setup, it still forces action, don't panic, you forced action, now find a way to capitalize on it and hurt them for it. Even if you don't get a pure vortex, they find way to get out, forcing them to play your game is incredibly valuable, now you do what dvorah wants rather than planning your own mixups.

Conditioning low:
You absolutely have to condition low in this variation, so use tons of d4 pokes, d4 into puddle, b12throws, and b14. Destroy their ankles. People will want to just high block to not take overheads because overheads lead to the setup. If they want to give away lows for free, take them. I mained skarlet for 4 years and listened to people say just stand block all day to avoid eating the overhead, I have no problem being cheap AF by taking the lows and never getting my big setups, as long as I'm getting the wins. If they want to stand for everything, I'm coming for your ankles, ggs.

Best tools:
You must use her good tools outside of f34, because no one is gonna just sit there and eat f34 the whole match. Her best tools in my opinion are still her f11 and d4 pressure tools. You still want to use these heavily. Use these, and when out of range use puddles to force block or knock down, when they get knocked down from puddle put a low bug out and run in for pressure. If you score a combo from this your low bug will have recovered by the time your combo is over so use an appropriate ender that allows you to setup your low bug game again. Always look for safe place to put low bugs out. Low bugs equal screen control.

Combos from pee puddle:
You must get damage or setups from the low puddle. Swarm queen gets easy combos from puddle, and those are great, but puddle in the other variations still get damage. Learn to maximize your touches from puddle so its not an all or nothing vs swarm queen. I think there's another thread that has variationless combos, so I'm not gonna go into depth with them here, but just wanted to say, if you want to be a Brood Mother, you need to maximize your touches without the swarm queen puddle.

Mid screen if puddle hits options:
d4, ovipositor... easy peazy get a little damage
d1, f44, low bug... a little harder but you get the setup

These are what I consider to be staple tactics for Brood Mother, and I'm positive more tech will come out. I'm experimenting with other enders like b21 and 112, and I think viable options will come from them, so lets keep working at it. As is, with this game plan, I always have a massive surplus of meter, so I'm looking for ways to actually spend it, cause as is I just keep it for breaker and xray, which is really nice, but I'd like to spend it to pour it on. Oh, since I said xray, I remembered, xray combo:

f34, d1, f34, d1, xray... does great damage

I love this variation and plan to stick with it. This is by no means a finished guide, but I've gotten mileage out of it as a starting point to build off of. This is a core toolset that anyone can use to get started, then start finding more tech and level up that spacing and footsies.

Last edited:
Sick guide! On most wakeups i found that tech roll is literally the only way out or trying to block. I'm talking about the setups that end in that perfect range after doing whatever then ending in f44 df3. Most of the time, it'll stuff armored moves if you follow up the krawler with f34 or f22. If someone has an x-ray, you can blow that up by following the bug with b14. It works in most cases but there's always things that can beat it like goro's MB punchwalk.

Johnny2d

Sick guide! On most wakeups i found that tech roll is literally the only way out or trying to block. I'm talking about the setups that end in that perfect range after doing whatever then ending in f44 df3. Most of the time, it'll stuff armored moves if you follow up the krawler with f34 or f22. If someone has an x-ray, you can blow that up by following the bug with b14. It works in most cases but there's always things that can beat it like goro's MB punchwalk.
Yup, forgot to mention it cause I'm just so used to doing it I forgot to say it, but these setups hit twice so they beat most armor. I'm gonna go back and write it in. Thanks :)

Johnny2d

What setup are you using for oki?

The only setup into b21 xx df3 I can find is using EX db1 such as

212 xx EX db1 > nj.P > run > b21 xx df3

I was about to write something very different right here, but I just noticed that by delaying the nj.P until far into falling, you can pretty much eliminate the 2 problems I was having. 1) You can space yourself after this for the followup. 2) You actually stall long enough to get another krawler out making this somewhat loopable with meter!

So now my main grievance is hit confirms.

How can you confirm into a setup like this off other starters? A high/low starter would be nice but I don't think they exist outside Swarm Queen because Brood Mother's dash cancels are just far too slow?

EDIT: You can actually do this meterlessly (but using stamina still)

213 xx df[1] > run > b21 xx df3

Only 18% damage on its own and if you want to loop oki, you will need to spend meter on following combos.
I love you. These are sick. Spending the meter isnt a problem cause i have a surplus in this variation, but using b21 with no meter is sick sick sick. So swag, much b21.