What's new

Bring back Reptile to his former glory!

Kishido

Noob
Yes I am drunken a bit but still I have to say it out loud for once...

Reptile not getting any love by Boon and Co and by the new generation fans is making me sick.

Reptile was, is and always be iconic for being the original secret character and 3rd ninja... and of course for his amazing potrayal in the GOAT movie.

But what have they done... Since 4 they try hard to make him a reptile... Yeah i got he is one... But the amazing thing was still that he was disguised as human... Instead they went even further in Deadly Alliance making him look like shit. Call me crazy... But for me a fighter named Reptile using a disguise as human is far more better than a fighter namked Reptile who even looks like a Reptile.

Why isn't Scorpion as Scorpion or Rain a raincloud? Come on.

But they had to correct it in MK 2011 and X... But now they again tried in the reboot to make him reptilian looking, which I have to admit looked far better, instead of going back to his true story... On top of that he is an absolute jobber in the stories and with all this mixed no one cared about him that much. He was the least used person in MK2011 and X... And that's how they destroyed an icon.

All other ninjas got more love in their redesigns and yeah even in the story like for example Smoke, who got an whole chapter, and of coruse Noob Saibot. Ermac and Rain are debateable but still they look true to themselves while still very unique.... And hell even Tremor looks far better and was potrayed far better.

So why Boon and Co doesn't understand what people liked about Reptile and how iconic he actually is instead of making him a mindless reptilian looking creature with no story purpose?

And with MK11 we have reached the top... He isn't even there!!! In Deception they tried to give us a reason but now... Nope nothing... Instead we get all of the Special Boring Forces

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
"And hell even Tremor looks far better and was potrayed far better."

Imma stop you right there... tremor looked better? TREMOR?! The dude with a garbage sack on his head for a hood looked better than reptile with bone armor? Nah man.

I agree that they've kinda shat on his character and made him too much of a jobber, but I thought he looked cool af in MKX.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Reptile's appearance isn't the problem. He looks the way he should, imo. His role in the games, however... that's something I think should be changed. The part where he reveals Mileena's true origins to Kotal and the others in MKX is the most he's done since... ever, really.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
I think he looked fine in mkx, it was a good balance. Lore wise he was degrading over time into more of a reptile & wasnt ever really in a disguise.. either way he was never anything but a henchman, even in the movie he had a build up then got bodied. His moment in the sun was being the dragon kings host & thats about it for him.

BlunderGod

The Kollector wants your lunch money
Reptile's never been cooler than in MKX and the tie in comic though. He turned into my second favorite Ninja almost overnight, being voiced by the GOAT Steve Blum helped.

He can turn invisible anyway, he doesn't need a human disguise.

What Reptile needs is a plot point other than tagging along with the game's main villain in a vain hope that he will bring back the raptor race. He needs to either do it or leave it the next time we'll see him in story mode.

Zaccel

Noob
My hope is that, with Kotal saying "I'll send my scouts to track Shao Kahn," Reptile's his best man for the job.

It would make sense--he's worked under him for centuries and knows all there is to know. And having the chance for Reptile to make a hard choice between Kahn/Kronika (who may have power sufficient to restore his race) or Kotal, the one real friend he's probably ever had, would finally give the guy some pathos.

Last edited:

PoloExpress

The Luckiest Unlucky player you'll ever meet.
I liked D'vorah's plot-line in mkx with her being desperate to survive and to save her race, but it should have been explored on reptile since he had that whole "lone survivor" thing from the beginning

Kishido

Noob
I think he looked fine in mkx, it was a good balance. Lore wise he was degrading over time into more of a reptile & wasnt ever really in a disguise.. either way he was never anything but a henchman, even in the movie he had a build up then got bodied. His moment in the sun was being the dragon kings host & thats about it for him.

Far more interesting than someone who is just called Reptile looking like a Reptile... Made him dar more interesting

Espio

Kokomo
Well for one all these palette swaps existed due to the lack of memory/ability to add more unique characters to their games so it's not like human Reptile was ever the 100% full realized version of the character. Reptile in Mk9 and MKX looks great and is a pretty realized version of the character. I can see not necessarily liking Deadly Alliance (even though I do), but the others?

Scorpion doesn't look like a Scorpion and Rain doesn't look like a rain cloud for the obvious reasons. Even in Reptile's original bio it is stated he is a horrid Reptilian creature. Scorpion has always been a humanoid/specter and Rain has always been Edenian so that statement also makes no sense. Reptile is a code name since his actual name is Syzoth. Who is he fooling with the name Reptile? If his playable name was Syzoth, I might be like "what can the lil homie do?" but that isn't the case. The story explanation was just a convenient reason for why Reptile looked like Scorpion/Sub-Zero.

Also who is he disguising himself for now? All the Earthrealm heroes know what he is and what he can do and it's not like he is undercover infiltrating Earth's defenses or posing as an Edenian etc. If you prefer the palette swapped Reptile that's fine of course, but it was never intended to be his final look.

Reptile just needs some progress made on his species resurrection plot and they could/will hopefully bring a redesigned realized version of Khameleon back to help facilitate that.

Xelz

Go over there!
I also miss the time when Reptile was the mysterious bad ass assassin that inspired fear in the hearts of warriors. It feels like he got demoted to jobber henchman in MK9 and MKX story modes.

And frankly Reptile isn’t the only victim of becoming a second rate villain. In the games (not talking about the comics here) NRS doesn’t write second tier villains or Outworld's supporting cast in a way that builds their hype. Ermac, Ferra Torr, Erron Black, Rain, Barraka, etc. just felt like goon squad trash fighters for their respective Outworld overlords. Only D'Vorah stood out because she royally f'ed over key Outworld leaders - Mileena through one of the most memorable MK death scenes, and by deceiving Kotal for so long.

Hopefully NRS does a much better job in MK11 creating suspense and hype prior to fighting these warriors who are still supposed to represent the most impressive fighters in all of Outworld. It looks like NRS has doubled down on Barraka's role as a prominent military leader/general. I’d like to see them do that with the rest of the jobber gooners, Reptile and otherwise.

Kishido

Noob
Well for one all these palette swaps existed due to the lack of memory/ability to add more unique characters to their games so it's not like human Reptile was ever the 100% full realized version of the character. Reptile in Mk9 and MKX looks great and is a pretty realized version of the character. I can see not necessarily liking Deadly Alliance (even though I do), but the others?

Scorpion doesn't look like a Scorpion and Rain doesn't look like a rain cloud for the obvious reasons. Even in Reptile's original bio it is stated he is a horrid Reptilian creature. Scorpion has always been a humanoid/specter and Rain has always been Edenian so that statement also makes no sense. Reptile is a code name since his actual name is Syzoth. Who is he fooling with the name Reptile? If his playable name was Syzoth, I might be like "what can the lil homie do?" but that isn't the case. The story explanation was just a convenient reason for why Reptile looked like Scorpion/Sub-Zero.

Also who is he disguising himself for now? All the Earthrealm heroes know what he is and what he can do and it's not like he is undercover infiltrating Earth's defenses or posing as an Edenian etc. If you prefer the palette swapped Reptile that's fine of course, but it was never intended to be his final look.

Reptile just needs some progress made on his species resurrection plot and they could/will hopefully bring a redesigned realized version of Khameleon back to help facilitate that.
Again... I get he is a reptile and that the tech was limited in the past... Still it was for more interesting lore wise that he disguised himself as human than simply being a... reptile all the time.

But as you said... To each their own. And why I like his MKX version I still think they can even at least use his human formas official alt even for story purpose

Kishido

Noob
I also miss the time when Reptile was the mysterious bad ass assassin that inspired fear in the hearts of warriors. It feels like he got demoted to jobber henchman in MK9 and MKX story modes.

And frankly Reptile isn’t the only victim of becoming a second rate villain. In the games (not talking about the comics here) NRS doesn’t write second tier villains or Outworld's supporting cast in a way that builds their hype. Ermac, Ferra Torr, Erron Black, Rain, Barraka, etc. just felt like goon squad trash fighters for their respective Outworld overlords. Only D'Vorah stood out because she royally f'ed over key Outworld leaders - Mileena through one of the most memorable MK death scenes, and by deceiving Kotal for so long.

Hopefully NRS does a much better job in MK11 creating suspense and hype prior to fighting these warriors who are still supposed to represent the most impressive fighters in all of Outworld. It looks like NRS has doubled down on Barraka's role as a prominent military leader/general. I’d like to see them do that with the rest of the jobber gooners, Reptile and otherwise.
I discussed this way back in MK2011. The main problem is that ONLY the heroes get some chapters and need some villians to be beaten. If it would be a mix of chapters with villians... not only the villians could get some more story about them but also take some wins.

Stryker beating both Ermac and Reptile is still a huge FU in the face

Kishido

Noob
I have faith that he'll show up in mk11 and will get an amazing design.
Only hope is DLC... Or a super secret character not even a leaker has known about.

The other question is... Will people use him actually... Or ignore him the 3rd time straight

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
If Reptile went back to disguising himself as a human, I would actually like him. Currently I can’t stand his reptilian bird-beak look and slithery voice. It reeks of trying too hard.

Surprise is best. In the originals when he’d look human, but then take off his mask to reveal the reptilian head and tongue... that’s the reptile I want.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Only hope is DLC... Or a super secret character not even a leaker has known about.

The other question is... Will people use him actually... Or ignore him the 3rd time straight
Secret character, DLC, still could be one of the unrevealed slots too, whatever. Mileena, Ermac and Reptile deserve to be back.

Kishido

Noob
If Reptile went back to disguising himself as a human, I would actually like him. Currently I can’t stand his reptilian bird-beak look and slithery voice. It reeks of trying too hard.

Surprise is best. In the originals when he’d look human, but then take off his mask to reveal the reptilian head and tongue... that’s the reptile I want.
So much this... Even if I think the reotilian look could be his alt or the other way around. But at least one where he is disguised as human.

And that's why I said... nothing is much interesting about a ninja called Reptile who loks like Reptile when his debut have been something else... Tech limits or not.

Last edited:

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Reptile is what Kahn called him. He was only hidden in the form of a human to spy on the tournaments. After mk2 there wasn’t any reason to hide as a human.

Plus I think there is a part of the story where he started devolving or something like that. I don’t mind the reptile part but I don’t like the primal bone armor stuff. He should still dress like a ninja because that’s what he is.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)

Reptile was always my favorite from MK1/2.
I will always use Reptile but honestly I didn't like his MKX look despite some here liking it. Too much leather and no real cloths, it looked like his cloths where picked out of a toxic trash.

Anyways I despise reptile looking like a reptile. I also love the Ninja look, I also loved that only when he performed a fatality you would see him shapeshift into his true reptilian form. I prefer the Ninja look and I hope that he makes it into MK11 because of the customization of this game. We would see both Ninja & Reptile versions of him with multiple styles and flavors of personal taste in the best graphics I've seen in fighters in my life!

I vote reptile goes back to the way he was in the original games not the 3d era.

Saint Op Omen

Far more interesting than someone who is just called Reptile looking like a Reptile... Made him dar more interesting
yeah that was retconned in deception to he devolved because he was far away from his race & matriarch, so he couldn't pass as a human anymore. So it wasnt a disguise it was just what his race does. A lot of stuff from the first few games is later changed or just wrong/didn't happen..I get that they are just trying to explain/write off tech limitations. but, it's probably all Kronicas fault.

Kishido

Noob
yeah that was retconned in deception to he devolved because he was far away from his race & matriarch, so he couldn't pass as a human anymore. So it wasnt a disguise it was just what his race does. A lot of stuff from the first few games is later changed or just wrong/didn't happen...it's probably all Kronicas fault.
I know that but still it was more interesting and scary.

Further more in 2011 they had the chance to bring him back as human because of the reboot but nope. Full reptilian

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
So much this... Even if I think the reotilian look could be his alt or the other way around. But at least one where he is disguised as human.

And that's why I said... nothing is much interesting about a ninja called Reptile who loks like Reptile when his debut have been something else... Tech limits or not.

And yeah it's too try hard... While I love Noob and the recent gameplay trailer I think his voice and evne look is too much "try hard" as well
I was excited about him having his “classic” costume available in MKX, only to be 100% disappointed that it was not his classic look at all. It was an ugly non-classic costume overtop his ugly non-human self. Complete with a mask that opened up right along with how bird beak mouth.

They did Scorpion right in MK11. Human look, flaming skull when necessary. Perfect.

Saint Op Omen

I know that but still it was more interesting and scary.

Further more in 2011 they had the chance to bring him back as human because of the reboot but nope. Full reptilian
Yeah unfortunately its one of Shauns favorite characters & he likes the reptilian thing so it probably won't ever change...