What's new

Brainiac Living Guide Thread

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Only thing that would make this not work is execution error, possible fuzzy and a good wakeup but u can bait wakeups so id say its pretty much legit.
I've been doing something similar. The instant dive kick is easier if you hold the beta bomb for a split second. You can also mix it up further with cross ups (jump forward instant dive kick crosses up but neutral jump instant dive kick does not). Crossing up ends the vortex though because they get pushed out of the corner.

A very easy to execute but less tight corner mixup is also beta bomb into cross up j2 (mixed up with fake cross ups).

OmGxBdON

I'm going to make Fate top ten
I've been doing something similar. The instant dive kick is easier if you hold the beta bomb for a split second. You can also mix it up further with cross ups (jump forward instant dive kick crosses up but neutral jump instant dive kick does not). Crossing up ends the vortex though because they get pushed out of the corner.

A very easy to execute but less tight corner mixup is also beta bomb into cross up j2 (mixed up with fake cross ups).
I like the idea of holding the beta bomb, definently alot easier. Also good things to add to the mix. Once u establish they cant press buttons holding the beta bomb will be nice

So i picked up brainac cuz he looked cool and i thought that he might be able to cover fates bad MUs supes in particular. definently better than playing fate. Anyways i saw a vid of the corner pressure concept and i decided to work on it a bit. took me a few days but ladys and gentlemen, the brainac vortex. If the opponent has no wake up then there is literally no way out but to guess right.

After the tentacle strike ender in the corner u summon a beta bomb and from there u have enough time to do an instant dive kick or d3 to mix ur opponent. You are so plus the opponent cannot poke out or do anything but block.

From here after both mix options if u have a meter, you do another instant divekick mb, F3, 3DF2. Too loop in the same situation. If u want to cash out the damage u just do the db2 ender instead.

If you dont have meter u just do 12df2 or 3df2 to get the loop going again or if ure a robot u can do d2bf3 12df2 for more damage into the loop.

It took me a while but im hitting it alot more consistently now. IMO its really hard vortex to do consistently but its definitely worth it.

This vortex does a shit to of damage btw.

Getting the second divekick to connect is the hardest part then connecting the f3 is hard too. Have fun.
I have been doing something similar to that, it is a pain in the ass to connect d3, beta bomb hits, instant divekick mb, etc. Doing it after the divekick, beta bomb hit seems much easier. I also end combos in f23xxbeta bomb to set this up even better but for less damage.
Also the corner is where I end combos in b23 sometimes. After that if you neutral jump their wake ups will be reversed, j2 will cross up, db1 tentacle swing will take you out of the corner if they input the wake up backwards, and you can punish it with divekick. Inputting divekick above the opponent after these string creates hell of a cross up.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Damn, I just got Brainiac's tentacle harpoon, have no idea why Brainiac doesn't have it as a base tool. He really needs something to extend damage on the ground. And the trait not going away on block would be nice)
Agreed on the harpoon. You still need to burn meter on it to get any decent damage so I really don't know why it's not part of Brainiac's base kit. I'd love to actually use the move. So much potential lost behind these stupid "gear only" abilities.

Last edited:
Agreed on the harpoon. You still need to burn meter on it to get any decent damage so I really don't know why it's not part of Brainiac's base kit. I'd love to actually use the move. So much potential lost behind these stupid "gear only abilities.
I mean, give him that or the sky laser (which also needs to be mb to extend combos), something besides divekick. It is great but like look at other characters like Adam or Darkseid, they have both air combo starters and ground ones. Why the hell did they decide to limit Brainiac so much. It is like Shinnok all over again, when he came out without his overhead and ability to mb hellsparks on block. Why doesn't nrs work on the boss characters thoroughly??!!They are the most important ones to the story and always the center of attention))

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I don't think he needs the harpoon, when you have meter it's the best thing to do out of b12, it's a nice alternative wakeup and it gives him restands

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
I mean, give him that or the sky laser (which also needs to be mb to extend combos), something besides divekick. It is great but like look at other characters like Adam or Darkseid, they have both air combo starters and ground ones. Why the hell did they decide to limit Brainiac so much. It is like Shinnok all over again, when he came out without his overhead and ability to mb hellsparks on block. Why doesn't nrs work on the boss characters thoroughly??!!They are the most important ones to the story and always the center of attention))
Well, the flip side to that is Shinnok eventually became beastly. Keep the faith. When Brainiac is inevitably buffed and the monsters like Bladam and Deadshot are brought down a peg, you'll be able to play Brainiac without anyone calling you a tierwhore :p

Well, the flip side to that is Shinnok eventually became beastly. Keep the faith. When Brainiac is inevitably buffed and the monsters like Bladam and Deadshot are brought down a peg, you'll be able to play Brainiac without anyone calling you a tierwhore :p
That was the case for me with Shinnok as well)

What´s the point of having a "general discussion" and a "living guide"?
That´s only make lost of info.
Let´s make one thread for discussion, one thread for combos and one for MU.
For all chars.
Please TYM
Quick question why would you go for that when you can end with db2 into the bomb drop still being plus and do more damage?

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
He ditched the character, has said multiple times he doesn't plan to use him anymore, unfortunately, so this thread has kind of just been left up in the air
Okay, thank you.

I'm going to close this thread then and will sticky the general discussion, combo and tech and MU discussion threads (if there are threads for those 2 topics).

So people can move all discussion to those threads

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Sorry guys, had to go on vacation with an easy character until my first tourney was done.

I'm all yours.

#BrainiacBoys
So wait does this mean that you haven't given up on Brainiac and this guide? He's easily the least used character I've come across and I really want to learn him.