What's new

Tech Brad and Cage's Lobo Safe Jump Guide

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Well, if DD were to wake up with Up Venom, you can do Jump 1 to avoid it and whiff punish with low hook and resume the knockdown pressure on him. But nothing is stopping DD from waking up with either Supernova or Air Snatch. And as for most Teleporters, if they don't wakeup with teleport, they're most likely getting bodied for not waking up with their invincible wakeup. Zatanna will get bopped if she wakes up with any of her special attacks that aren't one of her 40,000 teleports that leave her at random locations that you can't read and punish like say Shazam.

Basically, if they don't wakeup with their teleport/anti-air throw/move that shits on this free, chances are, they're getting bodied for not using the most sensible wakeup they have.
Makes sense.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
@Cage Redfield

Another question. A few scenarios you have "must use j2 in bnb rather than j3." Why is this exactly? It's weird that doing a certain move before your ending string~special affects the outcome after the knockdown. Not that's a big deal or anything. Just curious on the science behind it.

@Cage Redfield

Another question. A few scenarios you have "must use j2 in bnb rather than j3." Why is this exactly? It's weird that doing a certain move before your ending string~special affects the outcome after the knockdown. Not that's a big deal or anything. Just curious on the science behind it.
When you use J2, they float higher in the air and it lessens the combo gravity, and this makes the knockdown on Hook Charge last longer. Doing this allows Lobo to jump at the opponent and not get anti-aired by whatever wakeup they might have when attempting to punish their wakeup with a jumping 1/2/3. It's kinda hard for me to put into words, but it should make sense if you test it out yourself.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
When you use J2, they float higher in the air and it lessens the combo gravity, and this makes the knockdown on Hook Charge last longer. Doing this allows Lobo to jump at the opponent and not get anti-aired by whatever wakeup they might have when attempting to punish their wakeup with a jumping 1/2/3. It's kinda hard for me to put into words, but it should make sense if you test it out yourself.
So the amount of combo gravity can actually change the hit advantage of a special move? Seems extremely inconsistent. Wtf.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
There must be something I don't understand. I've only tested a couple characters so far. I'm finding more and more. Maybe there's some trick to it I don't understand, so I'll just list my findings as I go.

Option 1
Aquaman: j1 works on everything
Bane: j1 works on everything unvenomed
Batgirl: smoke bombs beats j1, batwheel avoids j1
Batman: sky grapple beats j2, slide kick avoids j2
Black Adam: dash forward nj1 works on everything
Catwoman: up whip beats j2, cat dash avoids j2
Cyborg: power fist, sonic disruptor, and up sonic disruptor beats j2
Flash: lightning charge and flying uppercut avoids j1/j2, lightning kick avoids j1, sonic pound avoids j1
Green Arrow: savage blast and stinger avoids dash up nj2, up haven blast beats dash up nj2
Green Lantern: j1 works

So at this point I'm not going to go through every option of every character because my findings seem to be a bit inconsistent with yours. I have to be misunderstanding something completely so I'll wait to continue testing after I find out if I'm wasting my time.

Last edited:

Yoaks

A spaceman
There must be something I don't understand. I've only tested a couple characters so far. I'm finding more and more. Maybe there's some trick to it I don't understand, so I'll just list my findings as I go.

Option 1
Flash: lightning charge and flying uppercut avoids j1/j2, lightning kick avoids j1, sonic pound avoids j1
Green Arrow: savage blast and stinger avoids dash up nj2, up haven blast beats dash up nj2

So at this point I'm not going to go through every option of every character because my findings seem to be a bit inconsistent with yours. I have to be misunderstanding something completely so I'll wait to continue testing after I find out if I'm wasting my time.
Same thing here. I'm not saying Cage or Brad are wrong. We can simply be doing something wrong. I'm still gonna mess around with this though.

Option 1

For some characters, we only tested their known wakeups and not all of them, like Catwoman, which would explain why some of the info in the OP may be wrong.

For Catwoman, you can use J1 to stuff her Up Whip and it will avoid Cat Dash (but she can MB the dash to trip guard you). J2 works to punish Cat Dash, you just have to time it.

The reason why Flash is listed is because all of his wakeups are avoided. You can't punish and he can't so the only good thing about waking up in Flash's case is being put full-screen or half screen away, and a lot of his options from a distance aren't as amazing compared to when he's in your face.

Batman's Slide Kick avoiding J2 is a joke. If he wakes up with that, you get a low hook punish and can resume this setup on him. Sky Grapple was something we didn't test, because who the fuck would wake up with that move, but I guess it works for batman in this scenario, which is fine considering he's still fucked if we knock him down, even if you take away this anti-wakeup setup. Another thing to note about this is that it's an anti-wakeup setup; it works against characters with above average wakeups. Batman is almost never going to wakeup unless he is 100% sure the wakeup will hit, so going for it on him is kinda pointless.

I don't know why nj2 was listed for Arrow, but dash up J1 against Savage Blast works, but doesn't punish; it's blocked, so you get a guaranteed b1 into whatever. Up Haven Blast loses to J1, but if you mistime it, you can trade with it.

For Cyborg, you can use J1 to avoid Power Fist and beat out Disruptor, but like Batman, Cyborg is one of those characters that are just fucked infinitely once you knock him down, so you don't really need to apply this to him.

you guys aren't wrong, there was just a teensy bit of misinformation in the OP. Keep in mind, we listed all of the characters but that doesn't mean you should use it on them all. Batman, Cyborg and a small handful of other characters have garbage wakeups, so its best to just knock them down and apply the standard oki on them.

Captain Oxygen

The end of one combo is the beginning of another
Against Batmein, if you wakes up slide and your J2 avoids it you can dash up Czar Toss for free.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I was fooled by the "Please note that these options cover EVERY wakeup"

Not trying to seem critical. I was just thinking this list was absolute. There seems to be a lot of caveats that could use explaining. I'll work on testing this myself and posting specifics.

Last edited:

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
So for option 1/4 how are you guys dealing with MMH push? I can't get j1 to work for that at all but it works for his teleports. Maybe there's a trick to the timing? I ask because when you say you tested against their "known" wakeups... I would imagine push would be one of those "known" wakeups. @Cage Redfield @SonicBoomBrad your thoughts?

My previous way of blowing up push after hook charge ender was to just dash up and mb b3/f3 into combo. Is there a way I can do this meterlessly?

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
If you're getting hit by certain wake ups you're not timing it right. For Martian you have to jump 1 at the earliest possible time to get over push. I haven't used Lobo in a while so you'll have to test it yourself.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
If you're getting hit by certain wake ups you're not timing it right. For Martian you have to jump 1 at the earliest possible time to get over push. I haven't used Lobo in a while so you'll have to test it yourself.
Thanks. It became a no brainer after I tested it more =P

insignis

Noob
Just noticed the thread and tried to test it...Great tech oO
I wasn't able to perform it at MMH and WW, but noticed that vs Superman you do late j1 (like in the video) to bit breath and early j1 to bit the air grab. After early j1 you will bit grab and will be able to convert it into toss etc.