What's new

Blue Beetle Meter Gain 101

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
In this thread, we're gonna learn just how much meter BB actually gains off all his moves. Once this is known, we can then work out his most optimal meter gain options and combos and then try to incorporate them into our game plan. This will also help provide further insight as to how and why he is designed the way he is.

So without further ado le's get right into it!

Each bar/segment of meter = 55, with 4 bars totalling 220 (nrs, why not just use whole numbers - at least round up to 60...). Blade stance doesn't affect meter gain and switching into it doesn't build any meter either. All of these moves were tested on Superman.

Input/action, meter gain: whiff, block, on hit
Notes:
normals do not build meter on whiff, only specials.
As a general rule, you build around 3x more meter on block than you would on hit.

1 series
1 - 1/15, 1/55
1,1,1 - 1/4 ~, 1/11
1,3,2 - 1/4 ~ ,1/11
B1 - 1/12, 1/22
B1, 3 - 1/7~, 1/12
D1 - 1/15, 1/55

2 series
2 - 1/14th, 1/37th~
2,1 - 1/7th, 1/23rd~
F2,3 - 1/7th~, 1/23rd~
B2,3 - 1/6th~, 1/10th~
D2 - 1/13~, 1/39~

3 series
3 - 1/13~, 1/22~
3,3 - 1/7~, 1/14~
B3 - 1/8 ~, 1/12
F3 - 1/8 ~, 1/12~
D3 - 1/12 ~, 1/16~

Jump series
1 1/13, 1/22
2 1/12, 1/16
3 1/11(?),1/10

Fly - 1/20 (just for inputting db2 in mid air! He doesn't gain any meter for ascending, retreating, advancing or descending, however. Still, if you have the dexterity, you can fly, retreat, fly continuously and rack up some decent meter)

Ground Energy Cannon - 1/13, 1/5, 1/7

Air Energy Cannon - 1/13, 1/5, 1/8

Shield slam - 1/13, 1/5, 1/7

Df1 - 1/13, 1/5, 1/7

Db1 - 1/13, 1/6, 1/6

Mandible strike - 1/13, 1/5, 1/6+

Optimal block strings:
1,1 xx shield slam - 1/3+ (builds over a third)
3 xx shield slam - 1/3+
2,3 xx shield slam - 1/3+
1,3, Fly cancels -
Fly, air energy cannon -

Tbc

Tl;Dr 1 Shield slam every chance ya get!
Tl;Dr 2 This helps explain why his trait stance is designed the way it is: His meter gain (and frame data) stay the same

Last edited:
So, the multiple fractions are for meter gain off block/hit..... What about the ones near the bottom with 3 values?

Lokheit

Noob
Well, I've been studying the meter building formulas of the game and it turns out, it's dependant on the % of damage that you deal to your opponent (so both defense and health are factored) so the exact amount changes from one character to another. Using the move always gives the same meter, but dealing damage is dependant on the opponent. That said, not by a lot and the most effective meter building moves will always be the most effective, the only thing that changes is the overal gain of all methods against specific characters. You can still rank them but the exact amounts will vary.

Well, I've been studying the meter building formulas of the game and it turns out, it's dependant on the % of damage that you deal to your opponent (so both defense and health are factored) so the exact amount changes from one character to another. Using the move always gives the same meter, but dealing damage is dependant on the opponent. That said, not by a lot and the most effective meter building moves will always be the most effective, the only thing that changes is the overal gain of all methods against specific characters. You can still rank them but the exact amounts will vary.
Thats interesting, cause BB seems to have a whole lot of meter, and not a lot of dmg.

Lokheit

Noob
Thats interesting, cause BB seems to have a whole lot of meter, and not a lot of dmg.
Using specials perse adds more meter than dealing damage, so that's a bigger factor. Being hit increases meter more than dealing damage too. I don't know what's BB gameplan to be honest as I'm not familiar with him but I assume he uses many specials.

An interesting note about meter building through damage done being dependant on the real % of damage is that against multiverse mega bosses, you can really tell that you're building almost no meter from that source.

I actually find interesting that in this game dealing damage gives you meter as that wasn't the case in MKX.

I still think this game would be much more hype to watch, if meter gain wasnt so heavy on ranged specials.

And just to clarify, bb gains meter off of jump 1. He gains meter off of fly cancels. but if he fly cancels, then jumps 1 out of it, only the fly cancel gains meter?

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
I still think this game would be much more hype to watch, if meter gain wasnt so heavy on ranged specials.

And just to clarify, bb gains meter off of jump 1. He gains meter off of fly cancels. but if he fly cancels, then jumps 1 out of it, only the fly cancel gains meter?
All normals build meter on block and or hit. Specials build meter on activation (i.e just by pressing the command and the move actually coming out), on block and or on hit.
So fly cancel into jump 1 would build meter for fly and again should the jump 1 connect (block or hit)

This is why 1,3 into fly corner pressure (and fly in general) is so totally worth implementing in your game as BB - it builds meter like crazy!

Fly cancel doesn't seem to net a lot of meeter. But knowing how quickly BB can shoot, no wonder espio always has meeter.

Dr4che

i will fix the bug ;)
Fly cancel doesn't seem to net a lot of meeter. But knowing how quickly BB can shoot, no wonder espio always has meeter.
actually 13 fc backjump canon deals crazy amount of meter and is the source to get ur mixup game started. If they respec it u can fc d,2 into next 13 fc etc etc or just 13fc,d,2,1,b2df1
i know its not a blockstring and theres a gap after 1 but after enough 13 into backwards air canon u will be able to sneak it in :) and ur sitting on enough meter for even bounce cancel combos

Parasurama

Dragon
actually 13 fc backjump canon deals crazy amount of meter and is the source to get ur mixup game started. If they respec it u can fc d,2 into next 13 fc etc etc or just 13fc,d,2,1,b2df1
i know its not a blockstring and theres a gap after 1 but after enough 13 into backwards air canon u will be able to sneak it in :) and ur sitting on enough meter for even bounce cancel combos
Cant they just d2 after 13?