What's new

Blue Beetle Match up guide

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
With EVO just around the corner and VS Fighting not soon after, tournament season has officially kicked in.

As such, I felt we would all benefit from a quick go to guide for all BB's MUs.

Members feel free to pick a character (or 5...) and go to town! (Both myself and Espio have already picked a handful) Video footage and GIFs are encouraged!

BB's main game plan revolves around the following:
1) Zone (and build meter) with energy cannon

2) Shield slam for block pressure (Safe on block, excellent range, safe, builds crazy meter. Did I mention it is safe???) It is however susceptible to lows.

3) Trait switch / 1,3 fly mix ups in the corner to open his opponents up.

Aquaman

Atrocitus (Espio) NEW
The basic gist of this match up is Blue Beetle's high mobility and zoning allow him to get around a great deal of Atrocitus' core gameplay. Most characters have to be constantly wary of his bloodnado puddle while Blue Beetle is capable of zoning him with ground and air fireballs(they recover so quickly that Beetle can jump and go airborne again before he can get one out if spaced correctly) and fly around the screen thus avoiding being counter zoned and harassed by Atrocitus entirely full screen.

When Atrocitus activates Dex-Starr, his character power, Blue Beetle's flight and high mobility allow him to bypass trait blasts and stall trait for a very notable portion of the match up. If Atrocitus does happen to get in and Blue Beetle doesn't wanna guess a mix up, he builds so much meter that pushblocking is almost always a viable option.

Atrocitus has great footsies so he can definitely force Beetle to be keenly aware of his spacing especially if he can catch him without meter and force him to guess. Overall though, Blue Beetle's mobility, safety, invincible wake up and zoning make this match up an irritating affair for Atrocitus

Bane (Pakman) Updated 27/08/2017
Full Screen
Zone him to death. Keep in mind raging charge level 3 negates any damage and he will go full screen. At this range however, you can guarantee one energy cannon blast (2 if you have the dexterity). Try and keep him here for as long as possible - even if he ducks to avoid EC, you are at the very least building meter. Also be mindful of his dash forwards - he covers a lot of ground very quickly.

Mid screen
At this point, you have two options: Fly, retreat to pressure/meter build with EC. Or, Fly, advance to close in to zone 1-2 for block pressure and combo damage. Be wary of venom strike (cancel fly into retreat to avoid it).

Up close
Optimal spacing at this range is zone 1-2 - here you are just outside of his main footsie range and can whiff punish/block pressure/react easily. Bully with shield slam, but be mindful of his command grab, raging charge and elbow drop reversal guessing game that force you to block, or back dash.

Corner
Your back against the wall is where Bane wants you to be - he has overhead and low mix ups (with d1 being safe) Venom uppercut to catch you flying, and his command throw. Having said that, all of his special moves are block punishable.

Espio's notes:
Shield slam makes command grab whiff and you recover at roughly the same time if not a bit sooner and can down 1 check him into shield bash for safe pressure and his post blocked shield bash meta is pretty weak. Beetle also seems like he breaks Bane's armor pretty reliably up close with things like down 1 shield bash and such too.

Bane's floaty jump makes it unattractive to jump at many angles and makes it even easier to zone him than others because he has to walk/dash or risk getting knocked down and sent to square one much more easily. His floaty jump makes it easier to anti-air him too

Summary: You can pretty much stay in gun stance the entire match (even up close, due to Shield Slam being so useful and Bane not really being able to do much about it post block). BB has all the tools to keep Bane out - use them. If you are low on health and/or meter, consider fly, retreat, repeat until full screen and maintain that distance until you're in a more comfortable position.

Batman

Black Adam

Black Canary (Espio)

Blue Beetle

Brainiac

Captain Cold (Pakman)

Last edited:

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
Captain Cold (pakman)

Catwoman

Cheetah (espio) NEW 27/08/2017
A very high paced and fast match up that pits two highly mobile characters against each other with very different gameplans. Cheetah wants to get in and start her shenanigans while Blue Beetle wants to zone, fly around and space her out with his superior footises and safety.

While Cheetah can do her lunge to go under all types of ground fireballs including MB projectiles, her pounce jump arc is highly vulnerable to Blue Beetle's diagonal air projectiles that stuff her out of pounce in attempts. His ground projectiles also recover very quickly so he can catch her with his projectiles and catch her airborne into a combo conversion off of it. The fast speed and recovery can even catch her doing close lunge as a bait.

Cheetah has limited answers to shield bash on block, especially if he back dashes. In order to check him, she has to make hard reads that put her at major risk to stop him from running away. His back dash and backward walk speed allow him to space her out super well and his down 3 is almost as irritating as hers for checking advances and pressure attempts since it outranges all of her fast buttons. Forward 2 and back 1 are also great buttons for keeping her in check.

She has the ability to catch poorly spaced flights and projectiles with pounce into jump normals and her primal rage is effective in checking reckless flight.

When she knocks down Beetle, she has the ability to low profile shield bash with her sweep/down 1 plus her MB forward 3 kills armor attempts making her oki pretty strong. The caveat to that is low profiling requires very precise timing so if she is off at all, he gets up and sends her away where she doesn't want to be or is forced to block and has minimal options to check him post blocked shield bash.

Her comeback potential is really good and against a large portion of the cast, she can lame out really well, but she can't keep Beetle out since his mobility easily keeps step with hers. Keeping a life lead is easier for him than it is for her.

A competitive match up that is fun and requires great spacing on the part of both players.

Jump 1 in mace stance AND Blade stance is one of your best anti-air/counter to jump 3 and jump 1 which are the most common used by Cheetah players. Additionally, Back 1 shield bash is especially effective because sweep cannot reach and forward 3 will whiff if you back dash, allowing a check or punish with forward 2 if you're ready/on point

Cyborg (espio)

Darkseid

Deadshit (pakman)

Doctor Fate

Firestorm

Last edited:

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
Flash (espio)

Gorilla Grod

Green Arrow

Green Lantern

Harley Quinn (pakman)

Joker

Poison Ivy

Red Hood

Last edited:

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
Scarecrow

Starfire

Sub zero NEW 27/08/2017
Full screen:
We can counter zone and instigate it for the most part due to how fast our projectiles cover the screen. Consequently his ice blasts are easier to react to and jump out of the way than ours are for him. The threat of ice Klone is always present however, this grants him the ability to temporarily halt your game and the neutral itself. When it is up, he has three options: Continue ice blasting the hope of freezing you, throw it at you allowing him to close the distance (we can avoid this by neutral jumping), or advance (slide or otherwise)

Mid screen:
Slide is his main threat here - it is recommended to always have one bar of meter in this match up just for this one move - you know he's going to use it and we build it like mad anyway. If you don't have meter, he is -23 on block so feel free to block punish.

Unless you get a read on ice klone, resist the tempting urge to neutral jump air energy cannon and pop shot him - we don't have the frame data to get away with that, and good sub zeros will slide on reaction, recover and d2 our ass.

Be mindful if he starts jumping as he is probably fishing for air frost hammer (overhead). Regular version is -13 on block, but he will likely be using the mb version which is safe.

Up close: TBC

Back against the wall: TBC

Summary: TBC

Supergirl (pakman)

Superman (espio)

Swamp Thing (pakman ?)

Wonder Woman

Last edited:
In the bane mu, I think its worth noting his wake up option is really oppressive and catches jump ins with armor. That is why we are zoning him, and we cant jump in/fly in the corner.

As such, I wonder if b1 re-stand or the b23 cross up becomes better in this MU than other MUs..... one hell of a hard cross up to block, puts you back at range-ish, and I think is safe....

Bane (and less so, super girl) have wake ups that make me think my regular approach to BB needs to be heavily modified....... pressure tools........ opening them up........... combo enders.......... etc

With super girl, I've started jumping over her, fly cancel, jump away, shoot/punish her for doing the rising punch to try and hit me. Not the most damage (even with mb), but its pretty easy for me to bait out.

Espio

Kokomo
My match up posts won't include numbers because I don't care and don't wanna argue numbers cause they don't explain anything lol. Atrocitus will probably sound super basic and simple, but that's only because I feel like it's a pretty straight forward match up.

Cheetah match up write up is hella long, lots of fun nuances and I play both so I feel I have a lot to say.

Everyone let me know if these are helpful or kind of crap/useless, I take no offense, just wanna make useful posts.

@Pakman

Atrocitus:

The basic gist of this match up is Blue Beetle's high mobility and zoning allow him to get around a great deal of Atrocitus' core gameplay. Most characters have to be constantly wary of his bloodnado puddle while Blue Beetle is capable of zoning him with ground and air fireballs(they recover so quickly that Beetle can jump and go airborne again before he can get one out if spaced correctly) and fly around the screen thus avoiding being counter zoned and harassed by Atrocitus entirely full screen.

When Atrocitus activates Dex-Starr, his character power, Blue Beetle's flight and high mobility allow him to bypass trait blasts and stall trait for a very notable portion of the match up. If Atrocitus does happen to get in and Blue Beetle doesn't wanna guess a mix up, he builds so much meter that pushblocking is almost always a viable option.

Atrocitus has great footsies so he can definitely force Beetle to be keenly aware of his spacing especially if he can catch him without meter and force him to guess. Overall though, Blue Beetle's mobility, safety, invincible wake up and zoning make this match up an irritating affair for Atrocitus.

Cheetah:

A very high paced and fast match up that pits two highly mobile characters against each other with very different gameplans. Cheetah wants to get in and start her shenanigans while Blue Beetle wants to zone, fly around and space her out with his superior footises and safety.

While Cheetah can do her lunge to go under all types of ground fireballs including MB projectiles, her pounce jump arc is highly vulnerable to Blue Beetle's diagonal air projectiles that stuff her out of pounce in attempts. His ground projectiles also recover very quickly so he can catch her with his projectiles and catch her airborne into a combo conversion off of it. The fast speed and recovery can even catch her doing close lunge as a bait.

Cheetah has limited answers to shield bash on block, especially if he back dashes. In order to check him, she has to make hard reads that put her at major risk to stop him from running away. His back dash and backward walk speed allow him to space her out super well and his down 3 is almost as irritating as hers for checking advances and pressure attempts since it outranges all of her fast buttons. Forward 2 and back 1 are also great buttons for keeping her in check.

She has the ability to catch poorly spaced flights and projectiles with pounce into jump normals and her primal rage is effective in checking reckless flight.

When she knocks down Beetle, she has the ability to low profile shield bash with her sweep/down 1 plus her MB forward 3 kills armor attempts making her oki pretty strong. The caveat to that is low profiling requires very precise timing so if she is off at all, he gets up and sends her away where she doesn't want to be or is forced to block and has minimal options to check him post blocked shield bash.

Her comeback potential is really good and against a large portion of the cast, she can lame out really well, but she can't keep Beetle out since his mobility easily keeps step with hers. Keeping a life lead is easier for him than it is for her.

A competitive match up that is fun and requires great spacing on the part of both players.

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
Awesome stuff guys. Agree with espio regarding mu numbers (why I haven't bothered with them myself yet and won't be doing so in future)

Will update the MU posts very soon! Keep the good stuff coming!

Vs characters that you have to space, because bb cant play toe to toe, such as bane.... you need to comit to max damage, end in range, combos. Or b1 ender into a ffmb reset attempt..... that way even if they block, its still ue turn

Any Beetle players have thoughts on the Wonder Woman MU? Feels like it's in her favor. Parry is so effective at dealing with his projectiles and shield bash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Espio

Kokomo
Any Beetle players have thoughts on the Wonder Woman MU? Feels like it's in her favor. Parry is so effective at dealing with his projectiles and shield bash.
I don't think so. If you're wrong on parry, projectiles can punish the whiff recovery or up close you get launched for a full combo if you parry at the wrong time. I feel that parry is definitely oversold in this match up. You can also do fake out normals to make players think they need to parry and punish them for errant parries or get at a range you want to be at versus her.

The match up only plays out linearly if the Blue Beetle player is very linear, if not Beetle handles her well. Also, poorly spaced shield tosses are vulnerable to shield bash punishes so you have to be on point to keep that ideal spacing at all times. Both can counterzone each other well. Beetle's zoning reaches further too. You can't parry and shield toss you have to pick and choose your shots, you're not killing me with parry unless I screw up and get out played.

Not to mention he keeps in step with her footsies up close and has great anti-air versus her.

It's all reads in the end and the risk/reward is pretty fair for both characters. A lifelead causes problems for both characters. Her mix isn't particularly concerning and she has quite a few exploitable gaps too.

I don't think so. If you're wrong on parry, projectiles can punish the whiff recovery or up close you get launched for a full combo if you parry at the wrong time.
His projectiles can be parried on reaction at most ranges, I'm definitely not gonna parry a whiffed normal at half screen. We should run the MU ourselves once my WoWo is a bit more polished because I'm starting to think I'm basing my opinion on the MU off of a set with an opponent who didn't fully grasp their character.

Agree about the footsies 100%

So hard to just find BB out in the wild. Wish the one I fought played longer so I could test my other characters against him.

Espio

Kokomo
His projectiles can be parried on reaction at most ranges, I'm definitely not gonna parry a whiffed normal at half screen. We should run the MU ourselves once my WoWo is a bit more polished because I'm starting to think I'm basing my opinion on the MU off of a set with an opponent who didn't fully grasp their character.

Agree about the footsies 100%

So hard to just find BB out in the wild. Wish the one I fought played longer so I could test my other characters against him.
We can play for sure, I'd be glad to shed some light on the mu. I don't claim to be anybody special, but I can show the match up decently I think.

<----My PSN

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
My match up posts won't include numbers because I don't care and don't wanna argue numbers cause they don't explain anything lol. Atrocitus will probably sound super basic and simple, but that's only because I feel like it's a pretty straight forward match up.

Cheetah match up write up is hella long, lots of fun nuances and I play both so I feel I have a lot to say.

Everyone let me know if these are helpful or kind of crap/useless, I take no offense, just wanna make useful posts.

@Pakman

Atrocitus:

Atrocitus has great footsies so he can definitely force Beetle to be keenly aware of his spacing especially if he can catch him without meter and force him to guess. Overall though, Blue Beetle's mobility, safety, invincible wake up and zoning make this match up an irritating affair for Atrocitus.

Cheetah:

This was a great write up. I'm really loving that starfire profile picture btw. Damn she fine!

Espio

Kokomo
Added Espio's Atrocitus and Cheetah MU info.

Keep up the good work guys!
Sweet, I may add a couple things to those when I learn more. I'll be on the look out to add the others to the mix when I get more experience to see what Beetle struggles against and what he does well against other characters.

This was a great write up. I'm really loving that starfire profile picture btw. Damn she fine!
Thank you on both counts. When I finally acquire enough knowledge I wanna do a match up vault type of thread like I did with Hawkgirl in Injustice 1. Except for the quality and analysis will apply to the whole cast. No match up numbers though because people like to argue that instead of what you're saying, it's just a needless distraction.

I absolutely cannot wait for Starfire honestly. It's probably my favorite fan depiction of Starfire it's sexy, but classy. It also reminds me of this song lol.

I still think the bane mu could have more info about what you do once he is in.... such as, b1 ender into a ffmb cancel (safe) reset attempt.... if his whole game plan is spacing, then he should have the meter to spend.

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
I still think the bane mu could have more info about what you do once he is in.... such as, b1 ender into a ffmb cancel (safe) reset attempt.... if his whole game plan is spacing, then he should have the meter to spend.
All of the MUs will be updated as and when :)

Nothing's set in stone, and I will most definitely go back into Bane's and expand after I get some more experience in the match up.

Look at this gem i just found. Add it to the match up data!

I deleted it from my youtube channel and broke the link, but I was mashing d3 through blocking Green Arrow's df1 mb. Beetle low profiles the GA's mb hit, if BB hits he green arrow good, if blue beetle also whifs, he recovers in time to block GA's follow up.

Last edited:

Espio

Kokomo
Also add this for the Bane match up @Pakman shield slam makes command grab whiff and you recover at roughly the same time if not a bit sooner and can down 1 check him into shield bash for safe pressure and his post blocked shield bash meta is pretty weak. Beetle also seems like he breaks Bane's armor pretty reliably up close with things like down 1 shield bash and such too.

Bane's floaty jump makes it unattractive to jump at many angles and makes it even easier to zone him than others because he has to walk/dash or risk getting knocked down and sent to square one much more easily. His floaty jump makes it easier to anti-air him too.

For Cheetah: Jump 1 in mace stance AND Blade stance is one of your best anti-air/counter to jump 3 and jump 1 which are the most common used by Cheetah players. Additionally, Back 1 shield bash is especially effective because sweep cannot reach and forward 3 will whiff if you back dash, allowing a check or punish with forward 2 if you're ready/on point.

Im gina practice a bit with spacing. But i did a b2 df1 today, that avoided capt colds wake up entirely. I just poked right through the ice wall

Also, mikosu pointed out that i ruin any supergirl breath mix up. By just mashing d3 while blocking. I guess its worth mentioning.