What's new

Blowing up superman rising grab wakeup

South

I'd rather SHOW than TELL ~ Poison Ivy
So I'm new to GL. But I been labbing for safe ways to get out trait mostly ending in 223 for a hard knockdown. So I came across the
B13, OCL mb, LM mb, b3, dash, 223, trait setup! It's plus (even without special canceling) I tested on the "jump" test...
but after that I put superman I (rising grab wakeup) without special canceling trait superman doesn't hit you and you can D2 whiff punish. But! If you cancel into OCL it blows up superman wakeup 8/10 times. I'm guessing my timing was off 2/10 times. I'm not sure if this is known tech from the OG GLs but it's possibly something to look forward to!
Combos also leading to setup
- 12, OCL MB, 223, trait
- 12, LM MB, b3, j3, 223, trait
- 12, OCL MB, B13, LM MB, B3, dash, 223, trait

- B23, OCL MB, slight walk forward, 223, trait
- B23, OCL MB, B13, LM MB, b3, dash 223, trait

-B13, OCL MB, LM MB, b3, 223, trait

@Orochi @Buttsanchez @Poser Paul @Fred Marvel
@OFIDYAN @GOL GuyInGreen
@all other GL players

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Thanks for the contribution but I'm a bit confused - what do you mean that it blows up his wake up? Do you just mean you have time to block and punish, or are you option selecting it somehow (applying offense without putting yourself at risk of getting hit by it)? If it's the former, then you don't need any special setup - pretty much all of his regular combo enders allow this.

South

Well @Paul the Octopus thats what I'm trying figure out because I if superman wakes up we get a combo punish, if he doesn't we get a OCL that hits almost meaty, and they can't backdash

South

Ah I think I get it now, that's an interesting idea. Basically the OCL hits superman after the invincibility on rising grab runs out?
Yes and if he doesn't wakeup we are completely safe this also works for more characters I just need to test more thoroughly

South

Batman slide doesn't care about this tech though so be wary of that.

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
So I'm new to GL. But I been labbing for safe ways to get out trait mostly ending in 223 for a hard knockdown. So I came across the
B13, OCL mb, LM mb, b3, dash, 223, trait setup! It's plus (even without special canceling) I tested on the "jump" test...
but after that I put superman I (rising grab wakeup) without special canceling trait superman doesn't hit you and you can D2 whiff punish. But! If you cancel into OCL it blows up superman wakeup 8/10 times. I'm guessing my timing was off 2/10 times. I'm not sure if this is known tech from the OG GLs but it's possibly something to look forward to!
Combos also leading to setup
- 12, OCL MB, 223, trait
- 12, LM MB, b3, j3, 223, trait
- 12, OCL MB, B13, LM MB, B3, dash, 223, trait

- B23, OCL MB, slight walk forward, 223, trait
- B23, OCL MB, B13, LM MB, b3, dash 223, trait

-B13, OCL MB, LM MB, b3, 223, trait

@Orochi @Buttsanchez @Poser Paul @Fred Marvel
@OFIDYAN @GOL GuyInGreen
@all other GL players
What are you doing the set up off of? Like after lift or after 223 or what

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
After the 223 cancel into trait then you cancel trait into OCL
Okay I tried it on a bunch of wakeups. I found out Traiting into it makes it to fast to meaty but does keep you safe to most wake ups. Ocl after lift is also pretty good for certain wakeups along with after 223 for the meaty but some can sleep and punish so it's on a read or check. Both work the same way, One is just more meaty and the other is just more safe

South

Okay I tried it on a bunch of wakeups. I found out Traiting into it makes it to fast to meaty but does keep you safe to most wake ups. Ocl after lift is also pretty good for certain wakeups along with after 223 for the meaty but some can sleep and punish so it's on a read or check. Both work the same way, One is just more meaty and the other is just more safe
Do you find it viable? I thought it was pretty neat and didn't see a thread on it so I wanted to check with all y'all

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
Do you find it viable? I thought it was pretty neat and didn't see a thread on it so I wanted to check with all y'all
Yeah it's pretty viable. Some will say it's not cause you're wasting a trait cancel into something that's not guaranteed but it's a pretty good way to bait a wake up and remain safe. Non traited ocl after 223 or lift is pretty viable too. I think it's great tech so thank you for the find

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
Okay so I played a set today and used 223 trait ocl and it was the best thing ever. I see myself using this often

South

I was helpful yay! I'm thinking of picking up lantern I really love his feel i think I'm in the discord already.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Am I doing the setup wrong? When I do it, it does blow up both rising grab and rush punch, which is great, but if superman wakes up with nothing, the OCL doesn't make contact. E.g. it only hits meaty if they actually wake up with something. This is still useful, but wanted to see if I was doing it wrong.

In contrast, if you just do b13, 4, LM, 223 then micro walk forward into close lantern, this blows up both wake ups and also meaties him if he wakes up with nothing, netting you some chip. This setup does less damage clearly, but it's meterless. It's also safe to superman attempting to whiff punish the whiffed exploding lantern with f23 - im not sure if the original setup is safe to that (didn't test it). Original setup may also be reactable I'm guessing? Didnt test it but can't they see the trait and then decide not to wake up?

Not trying to shoot down this tech at all by the way - it's a very innovative and useful find, just talking through the pros/cons and different variations.

South

Am I doing the setup wrong? When I do it, it does blow up both rising grab and rush punch, which is great, but if superman wakes up with nothing, the OCL doesn't make contact. E.g. it only hits meaty if they actually wake up with something. This is still useful, but wanted to see if I was doing it wrong.

In contrast, if you just do b13, 4, LM, 223 then micro walk forward into close lantern, this blows up both wake ups and also meaties him if he wakes up with nothing, netting you some chip. This setup does less damage clearly, but it's meterless. It's also safe to superman attempting to whiff punish the whiffed exploding lantern with f23 - im not sure if the original setup is safe to that (didn't test it). Original setup may also be reactable I'm guessing? Didnt test it but can't they see the trait and then decide not to wake up?

Not trying to shoot down this tech at all by the way - it's a very innovative and useful find, just talking through the pros/cons and different variations.
Well this tech was just a starting piece I'm figuring to something that may be a huge find. I'll lab it out more.