What's new

Question BLOODY HOT! - The Skarlet Gameplay Discussion Thread

Mosp

Noob
I prefer to do 114 EDC into the f2 string on a blocked jip. There's a good chance you can jail them standing and you can keep repeating the f2121+2 if they are still stand blocking, you also build a lot of your meter back. I don't like doing jip into f2121+2 because I feel like it kills your pressure because there is not many options after it but I guess it's a matter of preference.

ryublaze

Noob
I think it depends on how you want to spend your meter. If I have 2 or 3 bars of meter then yeah 1,1,4,ex dagger but if I have 1 or less then I might do f2,1,2,1+2. or if my opponent's low on health then 1,1,4,ex dagger. Also if the opponent gets hit by the jip then 1,1,4 doesn't launch into any big combo but f2,1,2,1+2 does or you can hit confirm jip f2,1 into red dash~down slash.

Mosp

Noob
I think it depends on how you want to spend your meter. If I have 2 or 3 bars of meter then yeah 1,1,4,ex dagger but if I have 1 or less then I might do f2,1,2,1+2. or if my opponent's low on health then 1,1,4,ex dagger. Also if the opponent gets hit by the jip then 1,1,4 doesn't launch into any big combo but f2,1,2,1+2 does or you can hit confirm jip f2,1 into red dash~down slash.
True but I don't think that trade off is worth it. I mean if you think the jip might hit (i.e. jumping over kenshi SC or kabal saw) why not do f4? I don't think in high level play you are gonna catch random jip's consistently enough to where that trade off is in your favor.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
True but I don't think that trade off is worth it. I mean if you think the jip might hit (i.e. jumping over kenshi SC or kabal saw) why not do f4? I don't think in high level play you are gonna catch random jip's consistently enough to where that trade off is in your favor.
Actually, f21 rd ds does the same damage as f4 rd ds. And it is easier to hitconform if the jip lands. I promise you this. Hit confirming f4 is a pain in comparison

Mosp

Noob
Actually, f21 rd ds does the same damage as f4 rd ds. And it is easier to hitconform if the jip lands. I promise you this. Hit confirming f4 is a pain in comparison
Yes hit confirming f4 is a pain but who would let go of block after they block a jip? I mean I hardly every land a random jip and I assume the opponent is going to block it so I go into something that will jail and give me meter and chip damage.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Yes hit confirming f4 is a pain but who would let go of block after they block a jip? I mean I hardly every land a random jip and I assume the opponent is going to block it so I go into something that will jail and give me meter and chip damage.
I guess my point is that if your going to land a jip, going for f212 is better than going for f4 because many times you don't know if the jip will hit. If it does, f212 is easier to hit confirm than f4 and if they block it, your still good for 3/4 of a bar of meter and can easily hit confirm to a 35% reset if they let go of block.

You never know if a jip will hit really

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
Another reptile player picking up skarlet here. This thread has been incredibly useful to me, so I wanted to thank everyone in the Skarlet community for being so forthright and organized with your information. I doubt I'll be able to contribute anything relevant to the community, but know that you've converted another one (which has at least as much to do with the extensive guides and conversations as it does the character herself, if not more).

Something I've been stressed out about with my sparring partner is the usefulness/uselessness of instant air daggers. Even from fullscreen, I get zoned out or denied by a big part of the cast. What is the actual use of this tech? His Sonya, Lao, and 'Rax all shut this down pretty hard.

Also, every match seems do-able so far except for the Lao match, which is a real struggle. It seems a lot of his pressure can't be EXreddashed through and punished, and he can just block and punish if he makes the read. When I DO get in, EXTP blows me up. How the fuck am I supposed to win this matchup consistently?

I'm willin to grind out the matches and get better with some motivation haha. Thanks in advance for everything you guys have already done in terms of furthering the knowledge of this game.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Hey there, here is some conditioning advice that may help you up a bit:
1- Practice your dagger cancels every time you can, skarlet can't trade at all against everyone in the cast, but she can cancel the rest of the animations by D3 imediatly after she cancels a regular dagger.
2- learn do iaD, is important, even if you don't get to hit consitently, making the 1st one consistently is a pretty big deal, is +25 on hit.

3- Conditioning your muscle memory to be in sync with your eyes reaction, this will help you to condition yourself to not downslash or upslash after a ex dash, specially when they bait it for you do ex dash into upslash or downslash, knowing how fast or cancelable a move can recover from also helps.
I normally take other options to not fall for the temptation, which is empty dash into F4 pressure/punish, or 114, or yet f212,1+2 blockstring when they expect a downslash.

KL has a very tiny hitbox, his aproach must be very carefully and you need a good spacing and a very high fast reaction skills to punish his actions on reaction, like teleport low hat and 24,1+2 or 24,lowhat.

You can duck under teleports and uppercut it, it helps a lot, in case he uses with meter, you need to know where he will come out later, the KL teleport is tricky, without meter he will always getting out behind you facing the place where he took off.

With meter, he will always come out where he left, which means he will be in the same position, only near your for a full punish, if you notice this quickly you can step away correctly from the teleport, he can grab early to have armor and start stringing with it, be careful with this..

Kung Lao has a F3 that brings him up, avoiding even iaDs, be sure to keep those in check.
His D3 is 9 frames, and not 7, take advantage of that, bait spins by faking that you're committed to the rushdown game.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Another reptile player picking up skarlet here.
Look through the skarlet forums for the skarlet vs. threads. Weve discussed skarlet vs sonya and skar vs kung lao in depth there. We should do cyrax too sometime soon.

I dont think any of these 3 are worse than 5-5 for skarlet... well it could be debated... they are all super good characters though who need to be handled uniquely.

Sent from M-Class Star Freighter USCSS Nostromo

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
Another reptile player picking up skarlet here. This thread has been incredibly useful to me, so I wanted to thank everyone in the Skarlet community for being so forthright and organized with your information. I doubt I'll be able to contribute anything relevant to the community, but know that you've converted another one (which has at least as much to do with the extensive guides and conversations as it does the character herself, if not more).

Something I've been stressed out about with my sparring partner is the usefulness/uselessness of instant air daggers. Even from fullscreen, I get zoned out or denied by a big part of the cast. What is the actual use of this tech? His Sonya, Lao, and 'Rax all shut this down pretty hard.

Also, every match seems do-able so far except for the Lao match, which is a real struggle. It seems a lot of his pressure can't be EXreddashed through and punished, and he can just block and punish if he makes the read. When I DO get in, EXTP blows me up. How the fuck am I supposed to win this matchup consistently?

I'm willin to grind out the matches and get better with some motivation haha. Thanks in advance for everything you guys have already done in terms of furthering the knowledge of this game.
Kung Lao
F4 stuffs teleport
When he ex teleports I mash d3 but with meter I f4 ex dash to beat out the armor watch out when doing red dash pressure he has 2 and spin

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
Thanks for the advice everyone! I did some serious grinding and now the matches all feel a lot better. When I started doing more than just downslash/slide/grab from red dashes, the game opened up a lot more, and I've had much success using ex red dash into combo on reaction to certain moves. I think improving my footsies game in general with her has made playing with her and making reads infinitely easier, because knowing WHAT you can blow a meter to consistently blow up for big damage + reset seems to be one of her most useful traits (along with her absurd chip pressure).

I've heard that Kabal and Skarlet are the two characters that can destroy your controllers in the process of learning them. Can someone confirim/deny, and explain this to me? Thanks. I'm a Smoke main if anyone's curious :)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I've heard that Kabal and Skarlet are the two characters that can destroy your controllers in the process of learning them. Can someone confirim/deny, and explain this to me? Thanks. I'm a Smoke main if anyone's curious :)
Skarlet can destroy your controller, she is a extremely heavy execution character, the more you play perfect the more your controller suffers from it and dies slowly.

Skarlet can destroy your controller, she is a extremely heavy execution character, the more you play perfect the more your controller suffers from it and dies slowly.
Darn. I was really interested in picking her up. Both her gameplay and character are so interesting. Perhaps when I'm richer and can afford more controllers :) . Thanks, Eddy.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Darn. I was really interested in picking her up. Both her gameplay and character are so interesting. Perhaps when I'm richer and can afford more controllers :) . Thanks, Eddy.
Sorry man, its just the truth, but this doesn't makes me stop playing her though, she is a lot of fun once you start to understand how she is supposed to work ^^

And my Controller still lives, just can't perform at 100% though but 80% is enough lol.

Perhaps I'll pick her up someday when controllers are cheaper. How about playing her using a fightstick? Would it still be too much for a fightstick?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Perhaps I'll pick her up someday when controllers are cheaper. How about playing her using a fightstick? Would it still be too much for a fightstick?
I play on D-Pad i dunno how Skarlet is on a Stick, however the best performance you can get for a Skarlet is by using a Hitbox, it doesn't kill the Hitbox and is perfect to play her at the max potential, since everything that is practically hard becomes easier on the Hitbox

I play on D-Pad i dunno how Skarlet is on a Stick, however the best performance you can get for a Skarlet is by using a hitbox
I'm working on a project to turn a keyboard into a sort of hitbox for SF. I'm really comfortable playing SF on a keyboard on my PC. Do you think that should work the same?

AssassiN

Noob
i've never tried a Hitbox before but Ninj or AssassiN[be] should be able to answer your question ^^
I've never used a Hitbox, I'd like to though.
If I could play MK on a Hitbox or Keyboard, I would do it without a doubt. Would be able to play at my best.
Coming from someone who grew up playing MK on his PC and I never gotten really used to the D-pad.

Talking about breaking controllers. One of my Xbox 360's controller d-pad literately popped off while playing with her, the d-pad of a PS3 controller is barely working anymore while my other PS3 and Xbox 360 controller are starting to show the same effects.