What's new

Question BLOODY HOT! - The Skarlet Gameplay Discussion Thread

I recently picked up a couple MadCatz SFxT Fightpads and I'm wondering if any Skarlet mains have used them before. Would they make playing this execution-heavy character easier, and would it damage the Fightpads at all?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I recently picked up a couple MadCatz SFxT Fightpads and I'm wondering if any Skarlet mains have used them before. Would they make playing this execution-heavy character easier, and would it damage the Fightpads at all?
Having a Hitbox or a Stick, you should be able to have all her options covered and be ready to what to do because of your finger tips being all over the place.
zaf told me this once, and i really looked into it, so far i still don't have a Stick, but i plan to get at least one to improve my punishments in this game, so far my reads are perfect, the D-Pad is holding me back.

I've never used a Skarlet on a Stick or Hitboxs, but surely its been proven that makes iaD much more easier to pull of, and will all finger tips on every button it gives much faster opportunity to Anti-Air with the correct move without dealing with the D-pad main problem

"I'll keep him away of a dash distance ready to whiff punish with F4" Opponents Jumps in "Shit, now i have to AA with Standing 2 instead of F4" On D-Pad this is a problem because only the thumb of one finger its used to go trough all options, sometimes switching up its losing frames until you go to the right option to punish your opponent.
Ninj uses a Custom made Hitbox
AssassiN uses a Hitbox as well
RedRaptor10 L0rdoftheFLY @FCP/ EMP SCAR and myself are all D-pad tiers

AssassiN

Noob
Having a Hitbox or a Stick, you should be able to have all her options covered and be ready to what to do because of your finger tips being all over the place.
zaf told me this once, and i really looked into it, so far i still don't have a Stick, but i plan to get at least one to improve my punishments in this game, so far my reads are perfect, the D-Pad is holding me back.

I've never used a Skarlet on a Stick or Hitboxs, but surely its been proven that makes iaD much more easier to pull of, and will all finger tips on every button it gives much faster opportunity to Anti-Air with the correct move without dealing with the D-pad main problem

"I'll keep him away of a dash distance ready to whiff punish with F4" Opponents Jumps in "Shit, now i have to AA with Standing 2 instead of F4" On D-Pad this is a problem because only the thumb of one finger its used to go trough all options, sometimes switching up its losing frames until you go to the right option to punish your opponent.
Ninj uses a Custom made Hitbox
AssassiN uses a Hitbox as well
RedRaptor10 L0rdoftheFLY @FCP/ EMP SCAR and myself are all D-pad tiers
I do not use a hitbox, I've said this before :p.
I'd like to use one, but I don't have one. I'm a padwarrior in MK and Injustice.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
So dead forum is dead i decided to refresh the discussion since i kinda missed it a bit.

From my recent matches (in past couple months) I've noticed that at sweep distance the f31 string is dose well against Cyrax that drops bombs. I honestly feel this string is underrated - its true that it has slow start up and long whiff animation but its forward advancing string with: good combo option and huge hitbox on the knee.

Another couple things I've noticed:
With someone who is good a fuzzy guarding the 50/50 option (specially against Cyrax) is a suicide attack. Unless it is another character I am better off playing safe offense.

The IAD wont be as accurate as Kabals IAGB which ultimately brought me to point where I use "burst fire" technique - meaning, The best way to hit opponent successfully with those daggers is to throw 2-3 and then advance with single ground dagger.
As long as I keep single shots on the ground I am able to fully control the situation - though soon or later if I dont advance with dash-in I will get blown with: bomb/net or worse - invisible bomb (that rarely happens - but it dose).

I've also learn to hit confirm d4 into up slash. This is good because if You stay close (in range of 1,2,f4) opponent may feel insecure and hesitate to jump - the d4 variant works like a bait. Since I am having a further reach with d4 I can stay further away and lure opponent for jump in.

D1 work fine as well, however its not as good as Ermacs or Cage but still its really all based on timing. D1 into upslash is good way for me as it leaves the opponent airborn high enough to land a combo with high standing rest.

I've been also working on mixup her basic pressure and it seems that 11 is a good mixup starter. All that came from opponent getting use to 11f4 shenanigans. So the mind game begins after blocked 11 then the mind game begins. I do 11,11,11f4 or 11,b11f4 and so on. The reason is I think this works cause there are to major factors: One - opponents mentality is to hold block and wait for 11f4. Second: the fact that 11 blockstring has minimal pushback and decent startup on to of that there is short whiff duration which minimizes the risk of getting crossed.

Another thing against Cyrax (and other zoners) is that sometimes there are times where circumstances force Skarlet to maintain zoning possession to build meter and chip down opponents life bar with daggers. And here is the silly part - ex dash through projectiles (even if it means blockstring option) is still good to go with. I do that when I see no opening - this grants me f21 blockstring and further pressure and mixup opportunity. Bottom line is I'd rather maintain the zoning and chip as much as I can and then get-in and apply pressure, even if it means doing it without meter. Because even if the opponent has short projectile recovery he is still force to block my string, So I am trading only about half a bar. This is really character specific.
I've done that with Cyrax, Reptile and Kitana. I am not sure how this would turn out with the rest of the cast.

I've also start to use more frequently deep jump in kick into d1~rd, up slash combo.

What You guys think of all this, please share Your opinion and suggestions.
@Eddy Wang @Ninj @AssassiN @AK L0rdoftheFLY

ryublaze

Noob
So dead forum is dead i decided to refresh the discussion since i kinda missed it a bit.

From my recent matches (in past couple months) I've noticed that at sweep distance the f31 string is dose well against Cyrax that drops bombs. I honestly feel this string is underrated - its true that it has slow start up and long whiff animation but its forward advancing string with: good combo option and huge hitbox on the knee.

Another couple things I've noticed:
With someone who is good a fuzzy guarding the 50/50 option (specially against Cyrax) is a suicide attack. Unless it is another character I am better off playing safe offense.

The IAD wont be as accurate as Kabals IAGB which ultimately brought me to point where I use "burst fire" technique - meaning, The best way to hit opponent successfully with those daggers is to throw 2-3 and then advance with single ground dagger.
As long as I keep single shots on the ground I am able to fully control the situation - though soon or later if I dont advance with dash-in I will get blown with: bomb/net or worse - invisible bomb (that rarely happens - but it dose).

I've also learn to hit confirm d4 into up slash. This is good because if You stay close (in range of 1,2,f4) opponent may feel insecure and hesitate to jump - the d4 variant works like a bait. Since I am having a further reach with d4 I can stay further away and lure opponent for jump in.

D1 work fine as well, however its not as good as Ermacs or Cage but still its really all based on timing. D1 into upslash is good way for me as it leaves the opponent airborn high enough to land a combo with high standing rest.

I've been also working on mixup her basic pressure and it seems that 11 is a good mixup starter. All that came from opponent getting use to 11f4 shenanigans. So the mind game begins after blocked 11 then the mind game begins. I do 11,11,11f4 or 11,b11f4 and so on. The reason is I think this works cause there are to major factors: One - opponents mentality is to hold block and wait for 11f4. Second: the fact that 11 blockstring has minimal pushback and decent startup on to of that there is short whiff duration which minimizes the risk of getting crossed.

Another thing against Cyrax (and other zoners) is that sometimes there are times where circumstances force Skarlet to maintain zoning possession to build meter and chip down opponents life bar with daggers. And here is the silly part - ex dash through projectiles (even if it means blockstring option) is still good to go with. I do that when I see no opening - this grants me f21 blockstring and further pressure and mixup opportunity. Bottom line is I'd rather maintain the zoning and chip as much as I can and then get-in and apply pressure, even if it means doing it without meter. Because even if the opponent has short projectile recovery he is still force to block my string, So I am trading only about half a bar. This is really character specific.
I've done that with Cyrax, Reptile and Kitana. I am not sure how this would turn out with the rest of the cast.

I've also start to use more frequently deep jump in kick into d1~rd, up slash combo.

What You guys think of all this, please share Your opinion and suggestions.
@Eddy Wang @Ninj @AssassiN @AK L0rdoftheFLY
I think it depends on your playstyle. I know some Skarlets like Scar like to do F3 and other strings that aren't used much, but I personally don't like to do them. Like u said it's slow, and the strings u can do after it (F33, F312) don't give a lot of cancel advantage so ur opponent can interrupt out of red dash. F4 has similar range to F3 and gives good enough advantage.

1,1 string is ok but it's -4 and whiffs on crouch. So after u do 1,1 opponent will just go into crouch and ur next standing 1 will whiff. You're probably better off just finishing the string and going into red dash mix-up. I do however sometimes like to do standing 1 then b11f4 red dash or throw since standing 1 is -0 on block.

For deep jump kick u should do the air dagger option select so you input jump kick df1 close to the ground and on block the air dagger won't come out but on hit it'll combo. This makes it easier than going for raw jump kick and confirming into a combo since her normals don't have very good range besides f4. I think it does more damage too.

AssassiN

Noob
F31 does good against D4 as well, incorporating F31 is something that I've preached some time ago.
Why F3 can be better than F4 is because F4 tends to whiff against moves that lower your opponents hitbox. While that ain't the case with F3.

Against Cyrax I would never used DS, always go for full damage and knock him down. Depending on the life lead I would keep him close or full-screen.

Chipping opponents with daggers? They do no chip, that is one of the things that needs to be clear. Skarlet doesn't really have zoning, they are merely tools for building meter.
If her daggers did chip and more damage on hit, then yeah she would have zoning tools.

Her D1 isn't that good of an AA, you really need to be on point with D1.
D2 is her best AA and should be used when you need to keep the opponent out.

I don't like using 11 as a mix-up, If I reset someone I might go for some 2 or 212 shenanigans.
2 has good start-up, loads of cancel advantage and is neutral on block.

Agreed with Raptor when it comes to deep jump kicks, she has a nice option select with her dagger.

ryublaze

Noob
I agree with @AssassiN . After standing reset her standing 2 gives u lots of options cuz 21 ex dagger jails on stand block, 212 red dash for crouch block, 21 hit confirm into red dash up slash, standing 2 cuz 0 on block and throw mix-ups. I suck at doing this so that's why I just do 114 after standing reset.

I think her d1 is decent for anti-air, seems like the standard d1 but not like Scorpion d1. but yea her d2 is good too but u can't combo off of it.

AssassiN

Noob
I agree with @AssassiN . After standing reset her standing 2 gives u lots of options cuz 21 ex dagger jails on stand block, 212 red dash for crouch block, 21 hit confirm into red dash up slash, standing 2 cuz 0 on block and throw mix-ups. I suck at doing this so that's why I just do 114 after standing reset.

I think her d1 is decent for anti-air, seems like the standard d1 but not like Scorpion d1. but yea her d2 is good too but u can't combo off of it.
That's why I'm suggesting using her D2 if you got the lifelead and you don't want to take any risks by screwing up her AA or getting JK'ed.
I understand that risk is a part of her game, but in that scenario it would be wise to play a safe game.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Always go for full combo punish whenever you have the chance, against cyrax, if you go for a reset, always cancel 112, with ex dagger and imediatly go for a blockstring, Cyrax Hitbox is a bit large so this blocksting is guaranteed, the problem is that after this you might be way to close of him. So from a reset i just do 114 and i have that so needed spacing back.

The main purporse of the Dagger in This MU, is to prevent Cyrax do flood the screen with bombs, if he start flooding you will be in bad sheets, so throwing daggers when your full screen ONLY on reaction to a bomb prevent cyrax to throw more bombs, but tickles him to trade with a net, so a good cyrax will want to trade a net with the dagger, since the ground dagger cancel has a lot of useless frames, even if you cancel them with D3, the net will still catch you.

I know lots of ppl doesn't like iaD, but in this MU having iaD is a MUST have specially because a good cyrax will trade a net with your dagger, when you get 2% he gets 70% off this trade, so, having iaD allows Skarlet to Throw a Dagger win the trade, do more damage, and block the net at anytime from mid to full screen. Throwing mindesly ground daggers in this matchup will only get you killed. Specially if the Cyrax player reads a ground dagger you consider yourself done.

Using Downslash with Skarlet is a risk in any matchup, i can only do it because i've developed a habit of reading how ppl intend to block my mixups, when they're so focused on avoiding blockstrings it can be a good chance to throw off a overhead in the mix, but careful because you still have to see they block patterns according to what is happening, the rules for the downslash are:
1. Ex Downslash ONLY if you have all 3 bars
2. Downslash if you have 2, or nearly 2
This gives a chance in case they block and punish you can still break and start building from defensive because you're meterless now.
If they stand or fuzzy between the mix, grab them, or just try to catch them blocking standing between fuzzy and do a standing blockstring loop.

i dunno about F31, there is a lot of reasons why i stay away from this string, 19f Startup is a lot, and any move faster than this will always whiff punish this move.

There is one thing most of you keeps forgetting, F4 is a Whiff Punish tool and a mid punish tool, to throw a F4 you have to force your opponent into whiff some stuff, like:
Jump ins.
Strings in the winds (wide open whiff)
Read a true High attack and go under with F4
Avoid a true high Special Attack
And you can punish blocked Specials like kabals, NDash, Blocked Teleports, etc..

The best whiff punish tool Skarlet has is Red slide is just 1f slower than F31 but throws off A LOT out of their concentration, has more range covering, is safe on block hits low and has a chance of using a 13 overhead instead inside the same range in case they're expecting a slide, you can even punish whiffed D4s, throw off ppl concentration once they whiff something just by getting in there with a red dash.

AA is a master peace, sometimes is not even good going for the D2 either, when i get caught on a crossup i didn't expect, i D3 on reaction to whiff their jump in, depending of the character you can Whiff punish their next attack with Ex Dash or F4(character especific)

AA is also a good reason do have iaDs, if you are good at iaD from different heights, you will hardly have ppl jumping onto you because they might get caught by a Dagger which grants Skarlet a full combo.

Anyway, any problem with Any MU just post here i will try to help you guys out, ive grinded all of them and i know exactly what to do, just don't play hasty with your skarlet, the best results from her comes from a very well built patient game, where you can switch gears like a balance with two sides (offense/defense). there are moments to heat up with a good rushdown mixup and there is moments to cool down the heat, and force ppl to commit mistakes, this incluses sitting on lots of meter, having life lead, and letting the time slide.

Saltea Moonspell

Its nice that all of You responded. Since I have couple of sparing partners I am still able to play the game and enjoy Skarlet.
One thing when I said (chip them down) I mean to take life away with daggers on hit (not block) sorry - my bad.

In deed, rd slide is great whiff punisher that I forgot about to mention :)

Regarding Mu use to have problems with Reptile but once I understood the core game I am able to nail him down.

I do use f4 to punish whiffed strings like (Cyrax's 12) though I dont have the habit like Eddie to punish whiff jump-ins with f4. I always AA with either standing 1 or f4/4/d4, I do like to use d2 when I wanna bring in some rage out or Toasty Boost or perhaps a reverse d2 juggle. The d3 anti-cross up gimmick dose work however its not guaranteed, so I do really prefer to use d1 (at least I know why I am taking the risk) or I do reverse ex dash into up/blockstring.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Its nice that all of You responded. Since I have couple of sparing partners I am still able to play the game and enjoy Skarlet.
One thing when I said (chip them down) I mean to take life away with daggers on hit (not block) sorry - my bad.

In deed, rd slide is great whiff punisher that I forgot about to mention :)

Regarding Mu use to have problems with Reptile but once I understood the core game I am able to nail him down.

I do use f4 to punish whiffed strings like (Cyrax's 12) though I dont have the habit like Eddie to punish whiff jump-ins with f4. I always AA with either standing 1 or f4/4/d4, I do like to use d2 when I wanna bring in some rage out or Toasty Boost or perhaps a reverse d2 juggle. The d3 anti-cross up gimmick dose work however its not guaranteed, so I do really prefer to use d1 (at least I know why I am taking the risk) or I do reverse ex dash into up/blockstring.
chip damage means taking damage while blocking;)

Skarlet D3 is probably the best in the game, the Hitbox is the lowest of the game, she becomes even lower than someone already crouching, like kung lao, that can avoid a LOT of things, many ppl are unaware but D3 is a game changing tool, specially if you hate ppl that jumps, the only jump D3 doesn't avoid is deep jump kicks.

Saltea Moonspell

Eddie, brother I am aware of those properties.
Its good though that You pointed out, as shown in this match footage is used against pressure and in between close kombat.
As way to escape cross ups I guess I'd rather other option, unless there is nothing else I can do.
But that is a personal preference. I guess it all depends on your confidence in timing and execution and based on that You prioritize your AA options. Same goes for different level BnBs.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Eddie, brother I am aware of those properties.
Its good though that You pointed out, as shown in this match footage is used against pressure and in between close kombat.
As way to escape cross ups I guess I'd rather other option, unless there is nothing else I can do.
But that is a personal preference. I guess it all depends on your confidence in timing and execution and based on that You prioritize your AA options. Same goes for different level BnBs.
I do Suck at using D1 so i never thrusted that move much because doesn't lower Skarlet's Hitbox. So if i get caught by an unexpected Crossup, even if i can't punish it, and i still can avoid it D3 is my tool of choice to avoid those.
Also it works better than backdash, characters with a good backdash to avoid crossups besides johnny Cage i don't it has one.

Saltea Moonspell

Well, You cant be awesome at everything You do You know....:)
For Me the d3 option works but not as well as I would like it to. So i prefer to work out my d1 option when I am not able to reverse ex dash out of it.
Like I do really enjoy ending combos with d2 and just right after the end animation I am buffering BDD3 for TB. Unless I am in disadvantage I go with d2 ender :)