What's new

Video/Tutorial - Hellfire Blockstring mixup exploration

MAN0

DevilApes
Thanks for the tips! I already got R1 as block when I'm on pad, learnt a fair while ago that it's just much more responsive than R2. I'll definitely do that when I practice the block strings, I had less trouble with them - the FBCs in combos is what I'm struggling with, eg (21xxFBC s4xxTP k B3xxFBC B12). I'll just stick with it I guess.
Same rule applies for fbc combos as well, give it some time until muscle memory starts kicking in. It's still too early if it's only been a couple of days since you picked him up.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Same rule applies for fbc combos as well, give it some time until muscle memory starts kicking in. It's still too early if it's only been a couple of days since you picked him up.
Just wanted to say you were right brother, thanks for the reassurance! The encouragement from you and knowledge that it can take quite a while to perfect, really helped make it less stressful and frustrating for me and also gave me motivation to try again. I flattened out the muscle memory a bit for an hour or two today, and now I feel like I've really got a grip on the (21xxFBC s4xxTP) cancel, and I'm now at a point where I can land a couple of BnBs (214xxTP, 21xxChain, FjP F4xxFA, 21xxFBC s4xxTP + JiKxxTP, 21xxChain, FjP F4xxFA, 21xxFBC s4xxTP) multiple times in a row! Still a bit awkward and I flub the muscle memory every now and again and do something random, but the more I do it, the more natural it becomes, a month or so of doing it and I'm sure it will be second nature. I'm now the opposite of disheartened as I feel that if I can get this, I can definitely get the rest of the character, there is definitely a heavy execution barrier here, but it'll be worth it.

Sorry if I've derailed your thread Trip, great thread by the way and this explanation is what got me to pick up Scorp, this is exactly what I'm looking for in a character.

MAN0

DevilApes
Just wanted to say you were right brother, thanks for the reassurance! The encouragement from you and knowledge that it can take quite a while to perfect, really helped make it less stressful and frustrating for me and also gave me motivation to try again. I flattened out the muscle memory a bit for an hour or two today, and now I feel like I've really got a grip on the (21xxFBC s4xxTP) cancel, and I'm now at a point where I can land a couple of BnBs (214xxTP, 21xxChain, FjP F4xxFA, 21xxFBC s4xxTP + JiKxxTP, 21xxChain, FjP F4xxFA, 21xxFBC s4xxTP) multiple times in a row! Still a bit awkward and I flub the muscle memory every now and again and do something random, but the more I do it, the more natural it becomes, a month or so of doing it and I'm sure it will be second nature. I'm now the opposite of disheartened as I feel that if I can get this, I can definitely get the rest of the character, there is definitely a heavy execution barrier here, but it'll be worth it.

Sorry if I've derailed your thread Trip, great thread by the way and this explanation is what got me to pick up Scorp, this is exactly what I'm looking for in a character.
Glad I helped mate, keep it up! It is indeed heavy execution but it gets really satisfying in the long run!

I GOT HANDS

Glad I helped mate, keep it up! It is indeed heavy execution but it gets really satisfying in the long run!
Day 3 off Hellfire now, is it safe to say [B3xxFBC, B12xxFA] is the creme de la creme of the cancels? I haven't practiced it for a long time just yet, but this one seems really hard. I guess I'll try nail it tomorrow. I've got my BnBs consistent with mid combo cancels and nailing the flame aura links, and I can do 3 reps of 214 loops, but this B3 FBC seems like the hardest one yet. I can get [B3xxFBC, 21xxFA] and as far as I can tell, 21 does the exact same damage, same start up, and same reach as B12? Are these two interchangeable here, or is there some advantage from going B12? I'll grind it out either way I guess.

And you are absolutely right. Nailing it is super satisfying. Getting more and more consistent feels good as well. This guy really seems to have the exact toolset that I want out of a character, I know a lot of people jumped ship when he was changed, and I don't blame them I wouldn't want to unlearn and relearn these cancel timings. But other than that he seems very solid and I may be wrong here, but it feels like people really underrate him since the nerf.

MAN0

DevilApes
Day 3 off Hellfire now, is it safe to say [B3xxFBC, B12xxFA] is the creme de la creme of the cancels? I haven't practiced it for a long time just yet, but this one seems really hard. I guess I'll try nail it tomorrow. I've got my BnBs consistent with mid combo cancels and nailing the flame aura links, and I can do 3 reps of 214 loops, but this B3 FBC seems like the hardest one yet. I can get [B3xxFBC, 21xxFA] and as far as I can tell, 21 does the exact same damage, same start up, and same reach as B12? Are these two interchangeable here, or is there some advantage from going B12? I'll grind it out either way I guess.

And you are absolutely right. Nailing it is super satisfying. Getting more and more consistent feels good as well. This guy really seems to have the exact toolset that I want out of a character, I know a lot of people jumped ship when he was changed, and I don't blame them I wouldn't want to unlearn and relearn these cancel timings. But other than that he seems very solid and I may be wrong here, but it feels like people really underrate him since the nerf.
B3 is definately one of his stronger tools and sometimes I like to use f4xxfbc after restands to mix it up with the classic f4xxEx spear, and keep opponents on blocking. B12 is also great for ending blockstrings cause people have to respect it otherwise they eat b121 and you get guaranteed ex hellfire. I barely use it as a starter cause even on hitconfirm b12xxfbc can't connect with another 214xxtp etc..

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Smh I can't get B3 xxFBRCxx to work & it's been pissing me off. I've been trying to land combos from it for months & I've yet to get it. It's bothering me so bad. AND I need this combo. Not even with 114.

Matix218

Get over here!
Smh I can't get B3 xxFBRCxx to work & it's been pissing me off. I've been trying to land combos from it for months & I've yet to get it. It's bothering me so bad. AND I need this combo. Not even with 114.
Really?? Like it has not linked 1 time?

Maybe you are inputting run too late?

I literally input the run input immediately after the db1. Are you on stick or pad?

Edit: is the string just coming out to late to connect? Meaning the auto block bot can block the string after the run cancel?

JDE

Really?? Like it has not linked 1 time?

Maybe you are inputting run too late?

I literally input the run input immediately after the db1. Are you on stick or pad?

Edit: is the string just coming out to late to connect? Meaning the auto block bot can block the string after the run cancel?
I'm using pad.

Matix218

Get over here!
I'm using pad.
If you are not getting scorp to actually cancel the fireball with a run at all then most likely you are not holding in the 1 button after the db1 input. Although for any of the run cancel stuff you have to hold down 1 so I doubt that is your problem but just throwing it out there. If the auto block bot is just able to block the string after the run cancel you are just either cancelling into run too late or inputting the string too late, those are the only things that could keep it from linking.

JDE

If you are not getting scorp to actually cancel the fireball with a run at all then most likely you are not holding in the 1 button after the db1 input. Although for any of the run cancel stuff you have to hold down 1 so I doubt that is your problem but just throwing it out there. If the auto block bot is just able to block the string after the run cancel you are just either cancelling into run too late or inputting the string too late, those are the only things that could keep it from linking.
Yeah idk. I've been doing this for the last 7 months. Still haven't gotten this combo down. lol smh

JDE

I'm getting the run & the fireball, but I keep getting blocked when I input the follow up after the run cancel

Hey. I am suffering inputting FRBC fast enough to connect combos. I think I am not capable of doing this. It is too fast for my fingers or idk.
I like this variant but without proper FRBC it is quite luxury to use.
Should I forget hellfire then? :)

I GOT HANDS

Hey. I am suffering inputting FRBC fast enough to connect combos. I think I am not capable of doing this. It is too fast for my fingers or idk.
I like this variant but without proper FRBC it is quite luxury to use.
Should I forget hellfire then? :)
I'm only nearly a month into Hellfire but I'll give you my opinion, tho if someone else posts maybe listen to them because they've been playing the character so long.

In combos it's usually only a couple of % so it's not massive I guess, although it's probably something that will definitely help. I think the real problem is if you can't do the mid combo FBC that you won't be able to do the block string FBC which is harder

I'm only nearly a month into Hellfire but I'll give you my opinion, tho if someone else posts maybe listen to them because they've been playing the character so long.

In combos it's usually only a couple of % so it's not massive I guess, although it's probably something that will definitely help. I think the real problem is if you can't do the mid combo FBC that you won't be able to do the block string FBC which is harder
Yes, you might be right. And I already feel that this tool is missing from my arsenal. Without that one of the best tool is missing from the character. I like scorpion very much and his other tools and generally how he works but fast execution hurts me. :)
As I saw other characters need Run cancels too for better play/combos so it should be a must to learn for proper use. But that FRBC seems extra difficult (especially after a B3 which is very good - there are not too many low starters for scorpions).

But as we talked too much about that I decided to practice it and don't give up that fast (I haven't practiced too much yet) - at least run cancel will be easier in the future as I am familiar in it.

Do you have any extra tip for doing it?
As I learnt (I write it in details to see if I think something wrong):
1. inputting string + Fireball (with hold 1)
2. When I feel that Fireball move started I input RUN (F F + R2 as smooth and fast as possible - watching for not doing just a dash)
3. somehow release 1 immediately when I inputted RUN
4. input string I want to do (eg. 2) or block.

I do not say I couldn't do it fast (eg. I could block sub zero reversal slide after 214) just it should be done even faster.

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
I've always found it best to think of FBC of one long input instead of two quick short ones. For example, instead of thinking of B3 cancel as do B3 then the FB input think of it like this.

B3-DB1+R2->>

Think of it in the same way for the others and then they should click. The primary ones to work on for me were B1, B3 and F3 as without the cancel you lose out on a lot of damage.

I've always found it best to think of FBC of one long input instead of two quick short ones. For example, instead of thinking of B3 cancel as do B3 then the FB input think of it like this.

B3-DB1+R2->>

Think of it in the same way for the others and then they should click. The primary ones to work on for me were B1, B3 and F3 as without the cancel you lose out on a lot of damage.
Sure it is the best way to use meta combos/moves. I try to build up the meta combo piece by piece. And see if my fingers are fast and precise enough.
I have problems with execution (in general) despite the fact that I know the combos in my head. :)
My controller usage is not the best sometimes the directions messed up just because my finger movement (eg. 214 tele 21 spear - I often mess up spear and in the training mode i just see i cant input direction properly, especially the "right" direction).

JDE

I often get d+1'd out of 214 FBRC now. I still use it because the opponent still just can't aimlessly hit buttons. I've been trying to use it to bait out attacks. Is it because I'm doing it too slow? Also, the B3 FRBC is no issue to me.

JINAMOUNAINAI

He who is on fire is not troubled by the smoke
I often get d+1'd out of 214 FBRC now. I still use it because the opponent still just can't aimlessly hit buttons. I've been trying to use it to bait out attacks. Is it because I'm doing it too slow? Also, the B3 FRBC is no issue to me.
What move do you follow with after fbc and get d1? F3 and b12 should be quick enough to not get poked out of, and pretty much your go to options as well

SwagMountains

Yes we Kahn
So I can get the b3 into combo but my cancels don't seem that plus. Like I can get the two runs in a row. I have the speed. But I couldn't beat out sub slide which is only 9 frames? Did they patch his pressure?
edit:214 patch, got it. So are fbrc's even useful for pressure?

Last edited:

JINAMOUNAINAI

He who is on fire is not troubled by the smoke
B3 isnt plus on fbc, it just becomes a hit confirmable low with fbc. f3 fbc, 21fbc and 123 fbc all are plus with decent metagame off fbc's. 214 fbc is also plus but its only good in the corner