What's new

Black Manta Trait Usage

ryublaze

Noob
Here are some ways to use Black Manta's trait offensively.

1. Float Cancel Pressure
This video shows how to use Float in blockstrings after conditioning the opponent with overheads.

2. Air Float Pressure
This one goes over Air Float and how to use it to punish anti-airs, for j3 Float pressure, and instant air Floats.

3. Using Float to Beat Counterpokes
Last video shows how to use Float to whiff punish counterpokes for a full combo.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
These are some great videos..

For the first video, with how early you're doing it, I am not sure it hits krouching opponents, especially those with a low hitbox.. The air attacks hit mid with early timing..

I also didn't know you picked up the character.. Are you sticking with him?

Last edited:

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Uhm. Is there a way to form this thread and REOs thread into one big thread?
Or just a flat out tech/video thread?
What's the point in having scattered information?

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
This is great stuff Raptor. VERY nice man. I'm SO glad to see Manta starting to take shape and his trait showing what its capable of. There has been so much.. I dunno, disappointment? I guess, surrounding his trait with people thinking its just a pointless gimmick or has no real use outside extending a couple combos and building some extra meterless damage, but see it used for pressure after conditioning, or to establish conditioning, along with the stuff like the d1 punish.. Its awesome.

I feel like Manta just keeps getting stronger.

This is great stuff Raptor. VERY nice man. I'm SO glad to see Manta starting to take shape and his trait showing what its capable of. There has been so much.. I dunno, disappointment? I guess, surrounding his trait with people thinking its just a pointless gimmick or has no real use outside extending a couple combos and building some extra meterless damage, but see it used for pressure after conditioning, or to establish conditioning, along with the stuff like the d1 punish.. Its awesome.

I feel like Manta just keeps getting stronger.
Manta reminds me of yoshimitsu from soulcalibur, who could go into helicopter-stance/pogo-stance during string gaps, and punish the whiffed low into a combo.

His trait is good. But, as similar as it is to blue beetle's trait (my main), Its COMPLETELY different. he has like 0 cross up potential, which is why people are dismayed I think. But jetpack is FAR from useless, his jump normals are great (just not my cup of tea).

What I am interested to see, is which strings/moves manta can cancel into trait with. Blue Beetle can do 13 flight cancel because it has airborn properties, and this sets up a lot of fun aerial intractable uses by just doing 13 <intractable input>.I imagine Manta has moves that work similar (having airborne properties that allow for trait cancel) and has some similarly swaggy intractable shenanigans because of it.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Manta reminds me of yoshimitsu from soulcalibur, who could go into helicopter-stance/pogo-stance during string gaps, and punish the whiffed low into a combo.

His trait is good. But, as similar as it is to blue beetle's trait (my main), Its COMPLETELY different. he has like 0 cross up potential, which is why people are dismayed I think. But jetpack is FAR from useless, his jump normals are great (just not my cup of tea).

What I am interested to see, is which strings/moves manta can cancel into trait with. Blue Beetle can do 13 flight cancel because it has airborn properties, and this sets up a lot of fun aerial intractable uses by just doing 13 <intractable input>.I imagine Manta has moves that work similar (having airborne properties that allow for trait cancel) and has some similarly swaggy intractable shenanigans because of it.

B11u3 is the only string that's coming to mind that has airborne properties.

fireborg

Noob
Ok guys seriously, i do not know whats the deal. I seen this reos vid

but trait + up direction does not work at all .

when i try it and trait + switch stance ( L2 is the button in the move list for canceling float )it does not help as well.

First of all i have to press switch stance twice to cancel and then he falls down to the ground so quickly, that im not able to do any air normal

Any advice with this? Inputs? Or was this somehow nerfed

Ps : not sure if this is the thread to be =D

Last edited:

fireborg

Noob
@Noble Raptor hey man question regarding the first vid:

Did he got nerfed or something? When i do float j3 into grab into training mode i always can interupt, furthermore if the opponent is crouching while blocking the laser does not even hit him

Thanks if u find time

Peace

fireborg

Noob
I believe j3 float cancels aren't plus enough to guarantee a grab, only a d1. It would have to be +5 or more in order for the grab to be uninterruptable because grabs are 10f. The mixup is to do j3 float cancel -> d1 or d1 laser, then when they respect the d1 or laser then you go for throw.

I think it's character specific, but if they're able to crouch under the j3, then you would have to hold back during the float and do the j3 later.
Thanks man, appriciate it!