What's new

Black Manta General Discussion "I brought a hook to hang you from."

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Yea but don't abuse it unles you plan to MB it. Or against someone you know for sure is gonna mash d1 after they've blocked a few of yours.
Anyone with common sense has read that -17.

Chip. I'll essentially always mb it unless I have a super strong read they aren't gonna punish. It's excellent chip.

And as for players always taking the MB hit, no.. no they won't. And if they want to, then I'm guaranteed damage. It's not much damage for a bar, but Aquaman and Deadshot come to mind as two characters who burn bar for chip/small damage constantly. I'm not saying he has deadshot meterbuild obviously, but I mean, if I meet a player that's gonna eat a blockstring into laser chip then ALWAYS mash and get tagged with the MB.. I mean.. really? Ok. Please, everyone do this when playing vs Manta. Mash for that 40% and always take the MB hit.

But I understand what Drib is saying though, he wants the character to be strong and viable a month from now, and two and three, vs us building the wrong habits and making assumptions based off things that simply won't work as people learn what's going on with him.

Last edited:

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Am I the only person who feels like Manta is a better version of Robin?
Also has anyone been utilizing his jet pack to anti anti airs?
Gets a hefty combo off too.

Tweedy

Noob
Welcome to another episode of DLC that isn't obviously broken or completely braindead is bad. It's week 1 guys it's literally impossible for any of us to have great success with him already.

I know a lot of you are optimistic but i'm just coming off of reading Blackfelow's post.

Reauxbot

Welcome to another episode of DLC that isn't obviously broken or completely braindead is bad. It's week 1 guys it's literally impossible for any of us to have great success with him already.

I know a lot of you are optimistic but i'm just coming off of reading Blackfelow's post.
Glad you said it my dude. 3 days after his release people said he either sucks or his trait is garbage. Which is incorrect according to REO whose already shown some cool tech.
+10 on block? I'll take it.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Ok....listen....the hell with the tech shit, lets talk REAL TALK!

This character is super unique in many ways with huge potential to be a high tier character.

1 question....ask yourself...is he a fun character to use? The answer is YES! And you cant deny that fact.

Does he have anti zoning moves? YES

Does he have fast pokes? YES

Not only is his character design the wackiest of the bunch, but he's a bad ass character from the Vitory pose, to his dialogues. His sound effects to his moves are way different than anybody else, kinda like a cartoony vibe. And its hilarious whooping somebody's ass while hearing that big WHOOSH! Overall, hes a good character, that should not be downplayed.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Am I the only person who feels like Manta is a better version of Robin?
Also has anyone been utilizing his jet pack to anti anti airs?
Gets a hefty combo off too.
I haven't been jumping in with him... lol... So I haven't felt the need to anti-anti-air...

But no, he's not a better Robin.. Robin is a character that revolves around his 50-50s, either with red trait from range or up klose with D3. Robin also has a projectile that's really plus; so against Robin, you want to zone him out if you kan to stop him from getting that out. Against Manta, it's the opposite; you want to be kareful about zoning him.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I've come to the conclusion trait "pressure" is a complete bill. Even more reactable than just canceling into a rocket..

This character defines "opens people up because they're not familiar with him yet"
Not really, it depends on what you read... I tested it and even against characters with great AA's like Flash, you kan trait kancel into Down Back and J3 Punish him for trying to D2. You just have to change your timing depending on what you expect.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
vs someone like black canary you can build meter jump harpooning and shit
I'll try it out more.... Usually against her though, I prefer to go in, out footsie her, and rush her down while she still doesn't have level 3... Once she has that, no way am I air harpooning on her.

I'll try it out more.... Usually against her though, I prefer to go in, out footsie her, and rush her down while she still doesn't have level 3... Once she has that, no way am I air harpooning on her.
i play her if you wanna work on the matchup, theres def some parry opportunities bm has to worry about tho

I was more underwhelmed by this character in the lead up to the release than any of the other DLCs yet, but after playing him, I was surprised to find that he really is a whole lot of fun. You do have to get gear to change him from the default helmet in order to take the guy seriously, though. There's a hammerhead shark one that's really cool.

His pressure is great and the flying thing is neat and he teleport makes for a great antiair. I like this one a lot.

EntropicByDesign

Yeah. I understand where he's coming from, though I don't agree that his laser is some day 1 gimmick/a bill/whatever, but regardless, I don't really see how Many could be *bad*. I know that tools on paper don't always equal out in reality, I get that, but they do have a correlation and on paper, he's a solid mid tier with a decent 'core' and a decent number of tools. We obviously have zero idea what his MU chart is going to look like, but looking at the tools he has, I don't see it being terribly polarizing.

This is pure speculation, but based on EARLY EVIDENCE he seems like the type character that's not going to massively blow other characters away, but won't be massively blown away himself.

I' feel pretty damn confident that he's at minimum a solid mid-tier character with room to climb some as we learn him and figure out what really does and really doesn't work.

Reauxbot

If Robin could work. Manta can work. We have better options. So I doubt Manta is anywhere bad.
People must have forgotten the classic fighting games where mixups weren't keys to victory

Reauxbot

Bad example to mention Robin for your argument, because he has mix ups... lol. But I agree.
I mean They're both pretty good whiff punishers with good j3s. By they way j3 is becoming one of my favorite pokes.
He kinda has mixups. Unless I'm missing something noones really getting hit by low trait.
The Robins I play against use sweep as their low and mostly try teleport shenanigans.
Hell I just played one a few hours ago. He mainly used teleport. Even for string Enders on block.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I mean They're both pretty good whiff punishers with good j3s. By they way j3 is becoming one of my favorite pokes.
He kinda has mixups. Unless I'm missing something noones really getting hit by low trait.
The Robins I play against use sweep as their low and mostly try teleport shenanigans.
Hell I just played one a few hours ago. He mainly used teleport. Even for string Enders on block.
Online Robins are really scrubby but red trait does work. Depends on the set up and character.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
I still haven't found a practical time to use trait during pressure/footsies with Manta. My opponent will just block and I'll be left in basically the same neutral situation as a blocked F213 or MB Laser.

I've seen REO's video on this subject, but the huge gap when going for a float cancel on block doesn't seem worth it when my reward is usually just a throw.

EntropicByDesign

I feel like we're either missing something with trait, or it wasnt implemented very well and just isnt that good. Maybe its meant to try and force whiffs and build punish opportunities more than it's meant to be used offensively? Shrug.

I think he's solid with the option to become quite good as we work things out with him, but trait is kind of a head scratcher for me.

Im confused. His movelist is showing that he has zero plus frames on anything. How are we getting plus 10 stuff Im seeing? And what is this tech thing

Reauxbot

I still haven't found a practical time to use trait during pressure/footsies with Manta. My opponent will just block and I'll be left in basically the same neutral situation as a blocked F213 or MB Laser.

I've seen REO's video on this subject, but the huge gap when going for a float cancel on block doesn't seem worth it when my reward is usually just a throw.
It's called conditioning. I played a guy called SU Megafox. Apparently at the top of the leaderboard. I got a few mixes in on him. However I didn't execute well. You gotta be ok point and mixing it up.
The float cancels and rockets work fine for me.
And the float, in my opinion, is actually good and has uses.
Y'all tripping.