What's new

Black Canary Match-Up Discussion

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Let's do this boys and girls. It's time we start fleshing out her MUs and what we think so far. Things are subject to change so let's discuss in a civil manner and please give reasons on why you think she loses or wins the matchups you post. Here we go!

Here's mine far from who I've played against. Not adding actual numbers rn cus I'm not really sure how definitve thinks just based off sets I've played against them w good players.

Bad
Aquaman- His trait basically counters her in every way. He out ranges her and matches her damage.

Batman- J2 and bats zoning is tough. Add the pressure he can have up close and it gets better for him.

Deadhsot-Obviously his zoning, but the real issue is when getting in his b1 and b2 can match her 50/50 shenanigans but the difference is he's safe and generally she is not

Dr. Fate-zones her out pretty well. She can D3 his mid ball for low profile, but he can still do his bf1. He also has the ank zoning as well. You can get in, but you'll have to deal with his push as well.

Harley Quinn- Her zoning,overall space control with her j2, and her trait keeps canary on her heels. Harley can handle her pretty well when played correctly.

Even
Superman(Possible favored for him)- She can deal with his zoning somewhat, but his f23 really gives her problems in neutral. But as i said before about fate, she can also d3 supes F23 and low profile it with b12.

Atrocitus- This feels like it comes down to who starts their offense first and keeps it going. Making smart reads and applying the mindgames w each other can def call the set between these two.

Winning
Darkseid- Here is a zoner she can manage well. She can flip through his laser pretty easily. He has the other ones but they don't give her that much of a hard time. She can easily get in and stay in. His buttons up close are inferior to hers imo and i personally never had an issue w darkseid and I've played tonssss of good ones.

Supergirl-She out damages her and keeps the meter advantage most of the time. Her lasers aren't too much of an issue since she can flip though them and her 6f S1 punishes all of her unsafe moves save for a well spaced breath. This one is a heavily debated one, but for now I feel it's in Canarys favor. I usually don't care if supergirl touches me 2-3 times because she doesn't hurt much at all. 2 combos from canary and Superbae is dead. #buffsupergirl

Swamp Thing- Admittedly I have not played a ton of Swamp boys but man if feels terrible for them when I did. She's faster, does more damage, and his offense again isn't really scary for her. Lvl 3 scream punishes the vine grab fullscreen as well

That's from who I've played so far. If you have your own feelings please share and let's talk about this together

Last edited:
From my experience, Deadshot could be argued as even. Her lvl3 trait seems to stop his zoning and her mix alone will beat him. But yeah, his 50/50s are irritating so I agree that it is largely seen as a losing mu

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
I'll say Scarecrow is in her favor as of right now. While he has ridiculous range with that chain, you can parry all of those moves and work your way in. I don't think he really has the tools to keep pressure on her, I've never felt threatened while playing a Scarecrow.

Robin feels like it's in her favor too. His Batrang's little twirl gives you time to Canary Cry if you have it charged and actually punish him for trying to zone you (as opposed to getting your trait stuffed when trying to trade with other projectiles). He can't do a whole lot from keeping Canary out, and as long as you don't cartwheel into his trait, you can blow him up.

I can agree with what else was said, these are the only two MU's I've played enough besides that I can comment on.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Is she any good?
I can't decide between her or cheetah right now
She's easy to play and is a great character if you are good at reading opponents. Getting hit isn't THAT big a deal, because she can take off half a life bar with 1 meter no problem. But, she is hella unsafe, and you will get blown up if you aren't mixing things up. And she struggles against zoners; her Level 3 trait can hit fullscreen, but it disappears when she gets hit. So if you try and trade with a projectile that is faster than the scream, you don't get a hit and you lose your trait for a bit. I've said it a few times around the site, she is one of the better designed characters in the game: she has very clear strengths and very clear flaws.

shura30

Shura
Superman(Possible favored for him)- She can deal with his zoning somewhat, but his f23 really gives her problems in neutral. But as i said before about fate, she can also d3 supes F23 and low profile it with b12.
you can somewhat reduce the f23 pressure with the high parry

f23xxtrait into any followup which isn't waiting or backdashing will result in canary catching supes
I've noticed inconsistencies against his d1 but in the case he whiffs, BC still recovers in time
lvl3 trait punishes above mid height eye lasers from full screen

From my experience, Deadshot could be argued as even. Her lvl3 trait seems to stop his zoning and her mix alone will beat him. But yeah, his 50/50s are irritating so I agree that it is largely seen as a losing mu
I dont' think so
while BC can flip through the projectiles and duck db3MB with a MB roll there's still chances she gets hit by a blue and sent back to square one so all that work, meter included, is straight up wasted
also, it's a fight to not reverse sides, if you hit him with a drop, meter is mandatory to launch and reverse again

Dr. Fate-zones her out pretty well. She can D3 his mid ball for low profile, but he can still do his bf1. He also has the ank zoning as well. You can get in, but you'll have to deal with his push as well.
I don't like at all how zoning is designed in this game especially fate's
he can launch too many projectiles and the MB one is absolutely stupid in timing..too wide of a window to enhance it and catch the next steps while preparing the 'ball' and continue to go back
that free wakeup is also silly, restores too much space and b1 isn't an option
again here, even if BC catches him, it's a battle to not switch sides which is clearly uphill

lvl3 trait is kinda useless in a trade..if it's full screen no way BC is allowed to combo, there's a few situations in which she can MB dash to get in, but then another bar is needed to increase the damage and not send a zoner away again with bf2
also, too many trades I lost while being hit by a projectile but the soundwaves of the scream were clearly upon the opponent who didn't even wall bounce
takes too much to charge and in general is an overrated tool

in general, starterxxbf2 is too low in damage and sends the opponent away
so, beside aquaman that is an overpowered character in general, any opponent that can exploit BC's meter management and range in general, is a bad matchup

there's a lot of supergirls around as of now so it's easy to win in general against the weakest ones..a decent one would never get close to BC and let the difference in damage output become significant
SG can shoot lasers while flying away and reload the trait, ofc she's not deadshot but has enough projectiles and freedom in movements to dictate the flow of the match

x TeeJay o

you can somewhat reduce the f23 pressure with the high parry

f23xxtrait into any followup which isn't waiting or backdashing will result in canary catching supes
I've noticed inconsistencies against his d1 but in the case he whiffs, BC still recovers in time
lvl3 trait punishes above mid height eye lasers from full screen

I dont' think so
while BC can flip through the projectiles and duck db3MB with a MB roll there's still chances she gets hit by a blue and sent back to square one so all that work, meter included, is straight up wasted
also, it's a fight to not reverse sides, if you hit him with a drop, meter is mandatory to launch and reverse again

I don't like at all how zoning is designed in this game especially fate's
he can launch too many projectiles and the MB one is absolutely stupid in timing..too wide of a window to enhance it and catch the next steps while preparing the 'ball' and continue to go back
that free wakeup is also silly, restores too much space and b1 isn't an option
again here, even if BC catches him, it's a battle to not switch sides which is clearly uphill

lvl3 trait is kinda useless in a trade..if it's full screen no way BC is allowed to combo, there's a few situations in which she can MB dash to get in, but then another bar is needed to increase the damage and not send a zoner away again with bf2
also, too many trades I lost while being hit by a projectile but the soundwaves of the scream were clearly upon the opponent who didn't even wall bounce
takes too much to charge and in general is an overrated tool

in general, starterxxbf2 is too low in damage and sends the opponent away
so, beside aquaman that is an overpowered character in general, any opponent that can exploit BC's meter management and range in general, is a bad matchup

there's a lot of supergirls around as of now so it's easy to win in general against the weakest ones..a decent one would never get close to BC and let the difference in damage output become significant
SG can shoot lasers while flying away and reload the trait, ofc she's not deadshot but has enough projectiles and freedom in movements to dictate the flow of the match
Supergirl can't shoot lasers all day and walk back. Shed corner herself and she doesn't want that. She simply cannot deal with the damage that canary does and canary can S1 her out of her b12 xx breath stuff. Lvl 3 can keep supergirl out of the air midscreen with that float stuff too. She also can flip through those lasers to cover space . Supergirl is my secondary so I play her a ton, when I play good Supergirls they pretty much can't do enough damage. They touch me 2-3 times with a bnb and I still have tons of health to where infant take her life bar with one bnb and a reset.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Supergirl can't shoot lasers all day and walk back. Shed corner herself and she doesn't want that. She simply cannot deal with the damage that canary does and canary can S1 her out of her b12 xx breath stuff. Lvl 3 can keep supergirl out of the air midscreen with that float stuff too. She also can flip through those lasers to cover space . Supergirl is my secondary so I play her a ton, when I play good Supergirls they pretty much can't do enough damage. They touch me 2-3 times with a bnb and I still have tons of health to where infant take her life bar with one bnb and a reset.
I'll also point the obvious in that her lasers are tied to her trait, she can't just spam them. Her teleport also gets blown up by the D2 or the D3. My personal experience would have it at a 5-5 only because I still get blown up by that cross-up F3, but I could see it being in Canary's favor

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
I would like to play any black canary if you guys are on PlayStation 4. I personally don't know the MU so I would be glad to hash it out with anyone. I use Joker add me Vengeance135

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Just played a Batman that definitely has me thinking it is in his favor. I blocked everything he threw at me, but really struggled to finding an opening to hit him. Thank god he wasn't a fan of mixing in throws, or I would have gotten blown up worse than I did

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
How do you guys feel about the Cheetah match-up? I've yet to play a Cheetah who threatened me. Once you learn the mix-ups, I really don't see that match in Cheetah's favor

How do you guys feel about the Cheetah match-up? I've yet to play a Cheetah who threatened me. Once you learn the mix-ups, I really don't see that match in Cheetah's favor
Cheetah is super annoying. Her d3 is obnoxious and hard to counter poke. Her d2 is so good it's hard to jump over her d3 range or do any flip shennanigans because she just d2's you mid flip. She can basically match damage especially with trait so I think it's a tough match. Don't know who wins but it's a fun one at least.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Cheetah is super annoying. Her d3 is obnoxious and hard to counter poke. Her d2 is so good it's hard to jump over her d3 range or do any flip shennanigans because she just d2's you mid flip. She can basically match damage especially with trait so I think it's a tough match. Don't know who wins but it's a fun one at least.
I feel like Cheetah and Canary are similarly designed characters.

x TeeJay o

Cheetah is probably even, i could see canary winning cause of lvl 3 trait shutting dowbn pretty much the entire screen for her. I Played full auto's cheetah and didn't have any issues. I also played Error's cheetah in a decent set, still didn't see anything too annoying. I would lean towards even though

im starting to realize WonderWoman can keep Canary out quite easily in sweep distance with b2, her whip special, j3, and iaShield. also shield being mid makes it hard.
Yeah the more i play WW, the more i see how fucking annoying she can be lol. But i still don't really know atm

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
The shield doesn't bother me so much so as the fucking whip special. I keep trying to parry it because I see the whip and think "gotta be the b2"

You can use b12 as a low profile also.

Deadshot mu seems 5-5 on some arenas. Like batman cave. Where you can react to low gunshot with a jump into interactable and go over him or just canary drop his ass.

Last edited:

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
How so? What does she do against an extremely defensive black adam?
Taking f12 away from him just because your hurtbox is messed up is huge, she can test and beat your divekicks with u3 off backflip on reaction, D3 anti airs everything(even his crossup j3 is it?) And you can super super reliably AA MB divekick with D3. Reg divekick is a lot harder. Once I have lvl 3 I can just walk at him until I find my favorite space to be in, and lvl 2 trait lets me control a lot of space in neutral really well. He also can never ever use black magic when you have lvl 3, or lvl 2 close enough to him, since that's just asking to get punished and die.

Combine that with him having to hold a 50/50 into 40%, which puts you in the exact same situation, EVERY time he gets knocked down(which is going to happen a lot with her D3), and most BAs only able to do D1 palpatine as a punish... The risk reward for her 50/50s is heavily skewed in her favor, and the punish game is also heavily in her favor. She can cartwheel out of a lot of his stuff too.

Her D3 really is the best move in the game and it shines heavily here. D1 on hit into f12 or walk back f12(which is something all BAs love to do) can't even get him enough + frames to stop me from mashing d3, since even if you hit me, D3 is still going to low profile everything you do and put me in an amazing spot. Or your f12 might just go all the way over top of me while I'm crouch blocking, and now you're in the corner lmao.

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
How so? What does she do against an extremely defensive black adam?
Oh also, Canary's midscreen game is so ridiculous that the entire stage is her corner, so she keeps the fight midscreen. If you block my 50/50 I'm in a much better situation than I would be if I was another character(like flash or smth), simply because I'm never going to be near the corner which means I never have to deal with his ridic corner mixups.