What's new

Question Best time to MS, 2?

Jayroc

Hat tier ftw
When is the best time to MS, 2? I saw Gamerblake mention this is a great strategy, but when should it be used. If the opponent is already expecting pressure when they see MS, they should be blocking already. How does it normal connect on an opponent? Or should MS 2 be done naked without a d4, 21, 112, etc ... Please, someone help clarify...

Jayroc

Hat tier ftw
When is the best time to MS, 2? I saw Gamerblake mention this is a great strategy, but when should it be used. If the opponent is already expecting pressure when they see MS, they should be blocking already. How does it normal connect on an opponent? Or should MS 2 be done naked without a d4, 21, 112, etc ... Please, someone help clarify...
This maybe a noob question but I found the answer randomly looking for high level Sonya play. A good example of this tech is at 1:21 of video linked

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
It has range, hits mid, and is safe so pretty much the ranged game like that when you feel they're not going to throw a projectile.

Be careful though it's 16 frames AFTER the military stance. 16 Frames is good. Really good in fact. 16 frames is as fast as Sektor's B1. But it has more range than that!

The problem is you have to add MS before it so that's 10 more frames. If you're usually throwing out MS from that range then it kan katch people off guard.

If you're going to use this you probably will need to do a few MS from that range and kancel them.

It looks similar to Ground Pound Kancels in terms of strategy and safety.

Disclaimer: This is theory fighting. So try it out for yourself. It also seems match up dependent.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Military stance 2 is a great tool that can be used in a variety of ways..... usually in footsies and not off of a string or poke though. In footsies what you want to do is go into military stance (ten frame startup, and fairly minimal recovery and you can block out of it or dash out of it to avoid being punished for the most part. So you can go into ms and check them with ms2, since it is really fast and covers tons of ground.... once your opponent starts respecting they will be blocking and you can dash cancel out to check with a d4 and start sonyas d4 ms game, or if you are content to control the game from that range, you can dash out and go back into military stance and start the setup over again. Or you can throw a projectile, forcing them to try and duck or avoid it. If they jump at you can dash cancel and antiair, you can just block a projectile, you can jump at them if you are feeling that, or you can even throw out a kiss (yes it works to control space versus a small part of the cast). So in summary, your ms2 is your move that you use to check your opponent at long range, then once they respect it, sonya can start her other mindgames easier.

Vagrant

Noob
Just dash block in. Ms 2 is hella whiff punishable against good players and not worth the trade. this nonsense about it being a great way to get in against Kabal is a joke.

EDIT: It's matchup dependent and does have it's uses.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
It has range, hits mid, and is safe so pretty much the ranged game like that when you feel they're not going to throw a projectile.

Be careful though it's 16 frames AFTER the military stance. 16 Frames is good. Really good in fact. 16 frames is as fast as Sektor's B1. But it has more range than that!

The problem is you have to add MS before it so that's 10 more frames. If you're usually throwing out MS from that range then it kan katch people off guard.

If you're going to use this you probably will need to do a few MS from that range and kancel them.

It looks similar to Ground Pound Kancels in terms of strategy and safety.

Disclaimer: This is theory fighting. So try it out for yourself. It also seems match up dependent.
Yes it is very similar to jax's ground pounds, except, if they do throw a projectile you can block out of ms so it is better in that respect.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Yes it is very similar to jax's ground pounds, except, if they do throw a projectile you can block out of ms so it is better in that respect.
Ground Pounds would duck under projectiles, or you kould kancel into a d3 to avoid them, or you kould EX dash punch though it. So yeah.

Jayroc

Hat tier ftw
Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate it. Cant wait to test it out some more. It looks good with footsies to be out of the opponent's range but still in Sonya's range. Although like Red Reaper and Vagrant said not good to deal with projectiles. Anything whiff is bad. Recently, I randomly played CDjr online and he back dashed my wake up cartwheels and full punished them without blocking. So dirty but it was a good lesson to learn. I'm new here so if you guys know that already its whateves. If not watch out for that shit and don't tell the Sonya haters lol.

Vagrant

Noob
Her armor doesn't last for the whole CW. She can be spaced out and punished for it. Dizzy does this to me all the time lol.

Jayroc

Hat tier ftw
First time I saw him do it, I laughed too lol. Vagrant, I hope u kick some ass at FR with all the practice at GGA. Wish I had a spot like that in Tampa.

Vagrant

Noob
First time I saw him do it, I laughed too lol. Vagrant, I hope u kick some ass at FR with all the practice at GGA. Wish I had a spot like that in Tampa.
Thanks man. Showtime and Blake will also be there so Sonya will be repped well between the both of us. First major for me as well