Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Piercing

Votes: 85 84.2%
  • Ethereal

Votes: 13 12.9%

• Total voters

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
In your honest opinion, what do you think Mileena's best variation is and why?

More information is appreciated =)

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
What makes piercing better than the others? I don't know Mileena at all. Inquiring because she is top tier now I believe...
B12 is an amazing tool in the neutral. B1 is I believe 10-11 frames on startup and B12 is -1 on block. The power comes from staggering the string because of its very low recovery frames. You can constantly harass people with B12 because it's a great mid and advances Mileena forward. Also, because she uses the sais in this string, her hurtbox doesn't carry over to the sais, making it even more difficult to deal with.

She also has low sai in this variation, enhancing her zoning quite a bit (shades of Liu Kang). Another thing is that she gets good combo enders in this variation, some even leading to restands.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
B12 is an amazing tool in the neutral. B1 is I believe 10-11 frames on startup and B12 is -1 on block. The power comes from staggering the string because of its very low recovery frames. You can constantly harass people with B12 because it's a great mid and advances Mileena forward. Also, because she uses the sais in this string, her hurtbox doesn't carry over to the sais, making it even more difficult to deal with.

She also has low sai in this variation, enhancing her zoning quite a bit (shades of Liu Kang). Another thing is that she gets good combo enders in this variation, some even leading to restands.
Ahh, ok! Thank you :)

I wished you could vote multiple times because I would've voted for Ravenous as well as Ethereal. D1 + High Pounce is good tech to have in some of the tougher matchups and only a few characters can get out of it.

Ethereal... getting safe 50/50s and pressure with the expense of one bar of meter is just golden and should NEVER be taken lightly. The mixup game in this variation is just impeccably good.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
I wished you could vote multiple times because I would've voted for Ravenous as well as Ethereal. D1 + High Pounce is good tech to have in some of the tougher matchups and only a few characters can get out of it.

Ethereal... getting safe 50/50s and pressure with the expense of one bar of meter is just golden and should NEVER be taken lightly. The mixup game in this variation is just impeccably good.
It's funny how I'm the only one who voted for Ravenous. Look lol

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Currently, it's piercing. Best Neutral and tools out of the three. Ethereal is still good, but piercing is on a whole other level (tier?)

Ethereal doesn't give you safe 50/50s. Cancelling an unsafe overhead into EX fade to make it safe isn't even a thing.

It's piercing. It's always been piercing.

Last edited:

Nu-Skoool

Feel the nerf of despair
I can see Ethereal. One of the biggest concerns about this variation is how inherently meter thirsty it is. Sai buff gave her the ability to build that bar faster. Also ex fade is a great wakeup tool that's much safer than ex roll. With +4/7 ex fade strings she doesn't even have to consider using ex roll/low sai mixups.

It's always been said damage isn't great but @TakeAChance put together a great guide and her BnBs do less about 3% less than what we see Foxy doing with piercing. With access to a special that works on so many levels and is safe on defense, that's a fair trade. One of my favorite things about ex fade was watching Saltface phasing through pressure strings and whiff punishing.

My only concern about this variation though is against characters who stop her from being able to build bar.

Well she only has one cancellable OH and that is a low crushing OH thats +2
Yep, and it doesn't get used from a 50/50 situation where cancelling it into EX fade would mean it's safer.

Ethereal can give you an extra pressure string for a bar. it does NOT give you "safe 50/50s" like people are saying here.

Like people have said, you need a lot of meter to make ethereal good anyway. string into EX fade? cool. You just used meter for another pressure string. Have a second meter bar? cool, you can do another string into a 50/50 with your EX roll (provided your follow up string has a low hit in it.)... just like both of the other variations can already do anyway.

It basically gives you a safer confirm off of a low / mid for the cost of a meter bar and another pressure string if you don't hit.. that's all the variation does.

Yep, and it doesn't get used from a 50/50 situation where cancelling it into EX fade would mean it's safer.

Ethereal can give you an extra pressure string for a bar. it does NOT give you "safe 50/50s" like people are saying here.

Like people have said, you need a lot of meter to make ethereal good anyway. string into EX fade? cool. You just used meter for another pressure string. Have a second meter bar? cool, you can do another string into a 50/50 with your EX roll (provided your follow up string has a low hit in it.)... just like both of the other variations can already do anyway.

It basically gives you a safer confirm off of a low / mid for the cost of a meter bar. that's all the variation does.
I agree really. I havent disagreed that Ethereal is meter dependent but i will say ex fade isnt just about safe/jailing pressure. The best use of ex fade is in gaps or whiff punishing. Ethereal has always been too meter dependent for me but the variation has its uses

I agree really. I havent disagreed that Ethereal is meter dependent but i will say ex fade isnt just about safe/jailing pressure. The best use of ex fade is in gaps or whiff punishing. Ethereal has always been too meter dependent for me but the variation has its uses
true. Ex fade to set up wiff punish situations is pretty damn good. I'll give it that.

Skedar70

Noob
Probably piercing because b12 and low sai help you a lot in the neutral. However mileena is soo good that her other two variations are also pretty strong.

SwegZero

GO NINJA GO NINJA GO
Now, it was an ordeal to pick between Piercing and Ethereal. They are both very good, Piercing with B12 and Ethereal with resets and can easily get out of corner pressure. I gave it to Ethereal because I think that it's tools are very helpful and it's fun to play. I think they're equals, but you can't pick 2 so I picked the variation I like.