What's new

Best Kustom Variation?

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
I was hoping there'd be some replies in here. I'm just now trying to use Sub Zero (been mainly playing Noob & Johnny Cage) so I'll be watching this thread closely.

From what I can tell so far, I really like Ground Ice for its reset/50-50 potential. It obviously has a very slow start-up but from what I can tell, it's still practical. Another move I like (just from messing around for about an hour) is the Death-Cicle Barrage. I like that it's a multi-hit projectile and it's pretty quick. I'm not sure how Sub mainers/experts feel about it but it seems good to me. I am wondering what people think of Frigid Storm however.

From what I can tell, he's a very fun character to play. It's weird that he doesn't have an Ice Clone though.

Perk

coffee now
take this as a grain of salt since 95% of my time in game is spent playing ranked but when I mess around in the lab with customs, from my testing I actually enjoy the Thin Ice build, but for Kustoms I trade in ice wall for rising ice. I'm still playing around with combo variety but amplifying rising ice after a b2xxxice ball jump in 1, b2xx to amplified rising ice is pretty fun.

I played around with ground/creeping ice and they seem fun for the mix up loops, but ultimately can get beat by opponents punishing. also since you mentioned: icicle barrage is IMO one of subs more underrated moves. its really useful for making things semi-safe and taking a back step after block strings to catch opponents with it, just not that when the icicles that you stick into your opponent pop, they take less from them if you freezings the opponent after the barrage.

Perk

coffee now
as people start figuring out how to keep sub out, utilizing air axe at the right angles is going to be important I think. seems sort of tiger-knee able too, not sure how useful it will be though. I also make sure to throw an axe every time I jump in with a kick. Lots of people end up thinking the kick is blocked and will land and they start a combo which often goes completely under sub.

Syd Barrett Lives

Italian Psychopath
Between the two slot moves I think I'm going with MB Ice Ball, it's the most useful online against spammy opponents, even though ground freeze it's really fun for the setups and mind games.

I was thinking what to choose as a second move...Rising Ice is fun and leads to more damage but with it the good combos cost two bar of meter and I want to always have a bar left for the MB Ice Ball. Creeping ice is fun for mixups but it's not like there aren't better options for that.

I don't know, advices?

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
Kustom Kabal rushdwn is one of best ToT chars imo...better damage than sub imo

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
Also Frost custom is a lot of fun use zoning with icezone move, and rushdown with lunge and close freezing move..a lot of fun :)...
also sub with ex ice ball and air axe :)

I like the Arctic Trap ability. Combine it with the Air Polar axe and you can just sit behind it and throw things at them and then hit them with a slide when they get pissed off. That is if they don't just inadvertently walk into it for no reason and get frozen.

mrapchem

Noob
By far, Sub-Zero's most potent kustom variation consists of Rising Ice and the Ice Trap. The Rising Ice alone maximizes his mid-screen damage, but then along with the Ice Trap, he becomes Grandmaster 2.0 without the limit of being in the corner. With that variation, I do Ice Trap setup combos that create a 33/33/33 mix-up mid-screen.

Perk

coffee now
By far, Sub-Zero's most potent kustom variation consists of Rising Ice and the Ice Trap. The Rising Ice alone maximizes his mid-screen damage, but then along with the Ice Trap, he becomes Grandmaster 2.0 without the limit of being in the corner. With that variation, I do Ice Trap setup combos that create a 33/33/33 mix-up mid-screen.
how do you go about setting up the ice trap? 99% of my time is spent in kompetative but would love to lab some stuff for kasuals

mrapchem

Noob
how do you go about setting up the ice trap? 99% of my time is spent in kompetative but would love to lab some stuff for kasuals
You do any of Sub's openers into iceball, and then do B32-Ex Rising Ice, then wait slightly and then do B2-Ice Trap. You and the opponent will recover at roughly the same time with an ice trap between you, which allows you to dash up and do low/overhead/throw.

SubZeroIce

Runway
I use Thin Ice because the F2,Slide mixup is my goto. It's so fast and works so effectively. Also dashing forward and db2 to bait a U3 or U2 is a great mixup too.

Only move I don't use at all is df2... wish I could use Rising ice or ground spikes.

Curious if anyone's found any obvious reason to choose one of these moves vs. the other:

Arctic Trap vs. Ground Ice

Rising Ice vs. Kreeping Ice

And if either of the ones in the first pair combines especially well with either of the ones in the second pair.

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
Artic trap plus rising ice works in theory because if you catch someone jumping you might be able to do more damage with meter, but need more match exp...personally...

mrapchem

Noob
Curious if anyone's found any obvious reason to choose one of these moves vs. the other:

Arctic Trap vs. Ground Ice

Rising Ice vs. Kreeping Ice

And if either of the ones in the first pair combines especially well with either of the ones in the second pair.
This is an excellent question! If you want tremendous damage mid-screen off a setup and a bona fide way to stop people from rushing you down to death, the Arctic Trap is ideal.

If you want to put your opponent in a 50/50 re-stand situation off of any touch that is only escapable with an U3, then you'd want Ground Ice.

Rising Ice should be equipped in EVERY SINGLE kustom Sub-Zero variation because it maximizes his mid-screen damage and allows you to get your 124 KB anywhere on the stage.

Kreeping Ice is good for....mix-ups???? And perhaps some corner combo shenanigans, but by no means should you equip it over Rising Ice.

I hope I've answered your question thoroughly.

mrapchem

Noob
Artic trap plus rising ice works in theory because if you catch someone jumping you might be able to do more damage with meter, but need more match exp...personally...
That is my exact combination. It is very good at stopping opponents from rushing you down as long as you set it up safely. What I do is I hit any of Sub's combo starters into iceball, then I do J2, B32-Ex Rising Ice. Once the opponent is airborne, then I do B2-Arctic Trap. This will put the trap right between you and your opponent, making them either block in place or retreat, which allows for a backward throw or an Ex-Slide respectively. You could also still do your 50/50 if the opponent isn't moving away.

RM_Jago

Noob
Just spitballin’ here; would Arctic trap and Rising ice together be a solid load out for Sub-Zero? I see potential and a long road ahead with that load out still testing it out. Curious if any one else has tried this combination yet, if so plz send drugs.

mrapchem

Noob
Just spitballin’ here; would Arctic trap and Rising ice together be a solid load out for Sub-Zero? I see potential and a long road ahead with that load out still testing it out. Curious if any one else has tried this combination yet, if so plz send drugs.
This variation is still pretty good, but since Arctic Trap was nerfed, it isn't Sub's best variation by a longshot. I would instead recommend, Rising Ice + Air Axe + Kreeping Ice, for maximum damage, air control with a safe projectile and safety off his overhead.

mrapchem

Noob
what was the Arctic trap nerf
NRS cut its duration from 5 seconds to 3 and made it go away when you throw the opponent. In the beginning of the game, I created a setup combo that safely placed a Trap between me and the opponent and they had to guess between 50/50 mixup or throw midscreen. Now, the throw part is gone.