What's new

Best Kabal Kustom Variation

17792 for combo dmg.

17793 for some mix game (one of the third variation weakness)

17794 for restand or some neutral reset, i can maybe try the slight gas instead of the gas blast

EDIT : I just tested slight gas, it has some really good potential BUT keep in mind this special move will kill the "safe OS" kabal has when performing a jump-in 4 into nomad dash on hit

Last edited:

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
There won't be a "Best" variant. There are optional tools configurations, giving advantages in different departments .

It will all come down to style preference, and opponent style/tools Kabal is going up against.

Sure, some tools will remain unworthy, but that's not the case here.

Saltea Moonspell

Kabal has definitely benefited from the patch. Can’t wait to use him more

Unless the Jetpack Kabal will have legitimate pressure (shades of Upgraded) the damage heavy setup is going to be a slight upgrade to the Spins, with ndc cancel. On one side of coin, that's awesome, you get to mimick MK9 Kabal, but on the other side of the coin, you got other top characters, with massive damage/mixup buff. So are you really going to burn your defensive bars, and leave yourself open, or rather play smart, safe and follow the solid damage way out?

Other then that, there isnt 3rd option. I've been labing those customizations for over 2 weeks now. I might have missed something - I really wish :)

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
EDIT : I just tested slight gas, it has some really good potential BUT keep in mind this special move will kill the "safe OS" kabal has when performing a jump-in 4 into nomad dash on hit
It doesn't tho. If your opponent blocks your j4, you air dash into another j4 and still keep the safety. If they get hit your air dash carries you far enough to very easily hit confirm a j2/4 into Nomad Dash. The OS is still there

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
I'm sad the parry is gone. They made it so its just a 90 damage parry, no combo possible from meterburning it. Used to able to get about 280 damage for it. Now I see no other custom to use other than air dash and the hook grab for combo extension.

Without the two slots air gas dash takes, I'd maybe use low buzzsaw and low hook grab, for mixups. Still, despite losing the parry, Kabal is still in the top.

It doesn't tho. If your opponent blocks your j4, you air dash into another j4 and still keep the safety. If they get hit your air dash carries you far enough to very easily hit confirm a j2/4 into Nomad Dash. The OS is still there
You are right, it gets a little "trickier" since you need more commitment lol but its good

It's so mashy, but I love doing jump kick into air, into jump kick into nomad dash then full combo. That's like 31% or so off a safe jump kick which is crazy.

Saltea Moonspell

It's so mashy, but I love doing jump kick into air, into jump kick into nomad dash then full combo. That's like 31% or so off a safe jump kick which is crazy.

When you look from damage perspective, it is. If you from character perspective, by focusing, even partially on "jump kicks", feels so frcken low, to a point it starts to bother you later on.

But only assuming You did play Kuhbal prior MK11. In other words, what he was built upon, and how poor the game plan ended....
But hey, this just might get the win!

So what is the best kustom variation now that the smoke has settled? I've been looking to try this character our for a while now.

With whatever you guys suggest could you give me a line or two why?

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
So what is the best kustom variation now that the smoke has settled? I've been looking to try this character our for a while now.

With whatever you guys suggest could you give me a line or two why?
I'm not a big fan of the gas air dash, so with that said I like: low Rolling Buzzsaw, dash cancel, and hook grab combo launcher.

Low rolling buzzsaw is better than the low hook grab in my opinion because its safer on block up close and is a good zoning tool full screen. The krushing blow of low hook grab, well, I just never get it online.

Dash cancel is good surprise pressure, you can fully commit to a f22 dash or b12 dash and cancel it if they block, the go right back into it. Its punishable but a great stagger/mixup for pressure.

Hook grab for combo extension is pretty self explanatory. With that you can easily get 30-36 percent combos off hit confirmable strings.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I'm not a big fan of the gas air dash, so with that said I like: low Rolling Buzzsaw, dash cancel, and hook grab combo launcher.

Low rolling buzzsaw is better than the low hook grab in my opinion because its safer on block up close and is a good zoning tool full screen. The krushing blow of low hook grab, well, I just never get it online.

Dash cancel is good surprise pressure, you can fully commit to a f22 dash or b12 dash and cancel it if they block, the go right back into it. Its punishable but a great stagger/mixup for pressure.

Hook grab for combo extension is pretty self explanatory. With that you can easily get 30-36 percent combos off hit confirmable strings.
Im kinda suprised by that. I tought low rolling buzzsaw was much slower or even interuptable then low hook. Deffinetly gonna try it out next time.
Im really loving the airgas and hookgrab. Insane +400dmg combo fir 1 bar together with the mobility and double crossups. Me gusta

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Im kinda suprised by that. I tought low rolling buzzsaw was much slower or even interuptable then low hook. Deffinetly gonna try it out next time.
Im really loving the airgas and hookgrab. Insane +400dmg combo fir 1 bar together with the mobility and double crossups. Me gusta
I'm not sure if it is interruptible technically, but I do know that I never get interrupted by anyone online though--or punished when I MB it up close.

Yeah the air gas is cool, it's just not my bag.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Pretty sure it's interruptible between the first and second saws, and they can jump it
Yeah. I def dont throw it out all the time, just to keep people honest and scared, like the b12 (where the 2 is overhead) switch to b1lowbuzzsaw. You get that plus better zoning with low buzzsaw. If you're not using air gas dash I think it's a good 3rd ability to use for the zoning alone.

Yeah. I def dont throw it out all the time, just to keep people honest and scared, like the b12 (where the 2 is overhead) switch to b1lowbuzzsaw. You get that plus better zoning with low buzzsaw. If you're not using air gas dash I think it's a good 3rd ability to use for the zoning alone.
The problem with low buzzsaw is that b1 low saw does not combo. Nor does f22 low saw. If you want a better mix low hook is needed. Both low hook and low saw can be punish. But low hook at least combos off the strings I mention.

I don't think Kabal needs more zoning tools. He doesn't low profile opponents projectiles when using low saws. So he still trade hits. The air diagonal saw is good enough to anti zone because it creates a knockdown.

I have more success with hook grab, dash cancel and low hook because it fix the problem where he would otherwise have problems opening people up. High/low mix with cancel pressure. The 3 best tools from his 3 rank variations.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
The problem with low buzzsaw is that b1 low saw does not combo. Nor does f22 low saw. If you want a better mix low hook is needed. Both low hook and low saw can be punish. But low hook at least combos off the strings I mention.

I don't think Kabal needs more zoning tools. He doesn't low profile opponents projectiles when using low saws. So he still trade hits. The air diagonal saw is good enough to anti zone because it creates a knockdown.

I have more success with hook grab, dash cancel and low hook because it fix the problem where he would otherwise have problems opening people up. High/low mix with cancel pressure. The 3 best tools from his 3 rank variations.
He has everything he needs to open people up. Relying on low hook which is an uber shitty tool is kinda counter productive.

Saltea Moonspell

He has everything he needs to open people up. Relying on low hook which is an uber shitty tool is kinda counter productive.

No, no he doesn't. How AM I supposed to open anyone without the coin flip offense? They just keep blocking, and when I try to throw they d2 me and I die. Dude, you no Kabal player, you not know anything.

Saltea Moonspell

I've decided lately to look into the bnbs that I have, and the way I play, due to the fact I don't primerly use low buzzsaws (ex), and occasionally use ex gas blast, I tend to maintain offensive bars at full capacity, with that I build up alternative bnb set.

Now, the general rule when it comes to Kuhbual combos, is to apply hook grab before you go for spin. We're talkin about 5-7% boost per confirm.

Now, as punisher I go for 23, exhb, 23 dash, 4 hs.

Next is 22 exsaw, f4 exhg, 4 dash, 4 hs.

Now, the b12 is tricky, because it's space dependent. If it's at max range, you gotta go with classic follow up. If you manage up close, you go for b12 exsaw, f4 exhg, 4 dash, 4hs.

I have not explored f22, but that shit seem to scale and I don't use that string enough, dus I cannot add anything to it, for now.

Let me know what you think. I am happy, because I get to hit like a track from time to time.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning

I agree with Hook grab and dash cancel, but not low hook.
Low buzzsaw's point is not to combo, it's to open people up and stop blocking everything just like low hook. Both lowbuzzsaw and low hook arent for damage, they do mediocre damage. And you only lose the b1 link by using low buzzsaw instead of low hook, because if you cant hit confirm f22 then you shouldnt play Kabal. Its much easier to stagger people with lowbuzzsaw too as it has a regular version and an amped version. You'll get punished every single time by getting low hook blocked, but low buzzsaw is much harder to block as you can amp it or not, and if they block both amped buzzsaws then its -9 with pushback.

I agree with Hook grab and dash cancel, but not low hook.
Low buzzsaw's point is not to combo, it's to open people up and stop blocking everything just like low hook. Both lowbuzzsaw and low hook arent for damage, they do mediocre damage. And you only lose the b1 link by using low buzzsaw instead of low hook, because if you cant hit confirm f22 then you shouldnt play Kabal. Its much easier to stagger people with lowbuzzsaw too as it has a regular version and an amped version. You'll get punished every single time by getting low hook blocked, but low buzzsaw is much harder to block as you can amp it or not, and if they block both amped buzzsaws then its -9 with pushback.
Low buzzsaw has a 27 frame startup. Its not hard to see it coming. When people know you can punish low buzzsaw it wouldn't matter if you amp it or not. They punish you once they block the first buzzsaw.

Low hook is 15 frames, harder to react and being able to combo off of b1, f22 and f4 overheads means if they block and are unable to fuzzy the last hit, they'll get hit if they guess wrong. Most people I fight are willing to get hit by the low hook because the overhead leads to a full combo. If I take low buzzsaw they are also willing to stand guard the entire time. But the difference here is that they are given 12 more frames to react to low buzzsaw. So they block that in time and punish.