What's new

Question - Jax Best complementary character for Jax

igogorek

Noob
I am thinking about learning second character (I now play Wrestler Jax) and it made me wonder what character and variation would be best in covering Jax's weaker sides. I basically would like to know who your sidekick is and why? =)
I predict that people would say that Jax has all the tools needed, which may be true. It's still interesting to hear people's opinions.

I personally have most troubles with zoners. Jax's run is not bad, you can advance through projectiles with mb dash punch (if they are not multihitting), d12 low profiles and advances (risky against most mb projectiles). Still it's often hard (and annoing) for me to deal with zoners.

So i want to pick another character with this characteristics:
  1. I need to like it stylistically, and as a character =). Current favourites are: kotal khan, reptile, kano, raiden, predator, kenshi, ferra/torr and cassie.
  2. I would like it to have different game strategy as Jax. In Jax's strategy i believe cornerstone element is pressure. So maybe more 50/50 oriented character, one who rely on setups more or even a zoner :confused:.
  3. Good against zoners. =)
  4. Complementary to Jax matchup wise
  5. Not as execution heavy. Honestly i kinda like Jax's execution heaviness but my left thumb gets tired of all ODP, command grabs and run cancels. =) Right thumb strangely never gets tired. =)
So after making you read all this, what i want to know is - who your sidekick is and why? =)
And maybe some advice on the best pick from above list? I personally lean towards reptile, he seems to qualify on 3 first criterions:
  1. I like him
  2. From what i've seen his gameplay seems to revolve around force ball setups and 50/50s
  3. Force ball + spit + slide + dash should be enough to give you good chances to advance against zoners
All that in theory though since i didn't play him much yet. And i can't say anything about 4 and 5

Shaikhuzzaman

magicmeerkatman
My second is Kenshi(balanced) . Just because I like the character. You have to put a lot of work in though.

Reptile seems like a good pick. You have ex slide and loads of your own projectiles to counter or out zone others

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
HQT from your list. Going beyond, I think Quan Chi and Erron Black. QC because of his zoning and EB because Jax is the ultimate chase character and EB is the ultimate hit and run character.

Desperdicio

Tell me, do you bleed?
Wrestler really has everything a character needs to be good. If you're having trouble with zoning and want ease of execution, Reptile might be a good pick. He can punish projectiles from full screen distance, at least the slow ones, and he has some very nice projectiles of his own.

Have you tried Pumped up Jax? He deals with some keep away characters like Sub Zero better than Wrestler. I would suggest HQT if you want to learn a whole new character. He deals with other zoners well. The only character I can see being a problem for Jax and Predator is Tanya.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Impostor shinnok? Hellsparks, and a teleport that has buffed follow up options now. Piercing mileena is also super strong now

Desperdicio

Tell me, do you bleed?
Learn hes two other variations
Since he didn't like run cancels because of execution, I don't think he'd like Heavy Weapons. He wouldn't like Hish Qu Ten, either. Pumped Up might be a good choice, unless it's too boring for him to use two variations of the same character.

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Kotal main here who subs Jax. Kotal has better footsies and super easy to use. If you struggle vs zoners, pick Blood God and enjoy yourself lol. EX Pizza will start eating projectiles March 1st. War God is also good enough you can beat almost every character with him and he deals with Sub Zero better than Jax. And... Kotal is dat nigga! :cool:

Oh and #9fMidBoyz

Osagri

Fear the blade of Osh-Tekk
Since he didn't like run cancels because of execution, I don't think he'd like Heavy Weapons. He wouldn't like Hish Qu Ten, either. Pumped Up might be a good choice, unless it's too boring for him to use two variations of the same character.
Ye didn't notice dislike of cancels sry. I have learned two characters all variations and I'm not bored :)

Osagri

But I play kotal as my secondary and hes rly good. U like 50/50 then wargod is your go to variation. He has pressure and great footsies. He's 50/50 aren't safe thou.

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
If you mix it up well enough, no one will ever block them lol. B1 EX OH Sword and B12 DB2 are dirty! Plus some characters cant punish any of his 50/50s cuz of the pushback.

igogorek

Noob
Ye didn't notice dislike of cancels sry. I have learned two characters all variations and I'm not bored :)
I think i didn't clarify enough. What i don't like about Jax's execution is that my hand gets tired. =) If i play for more that an hour my left thumb gets tired, gets slower and i start to mess up 3-directional inputs bad. It happens especially fast if i started with practicing combos in training mode. The fact that it's challenging i actually enjoy. And i definitely plan of learning HW, i have already tried it and using run cancels looks interesting. They look more interesting than Lui's of Johnny's because they have more strategic purpose than just getting more plus frames. But learning it now will only put more strain on my left arm.

That's why i'm searching for another character, with easier execution. Here by easier execution i mean - less buttons =) So i can switch to him and give my hand rest when it gets tired. Characters that are trivial to play i don't actually like. Played Cryomancer Sub-zero before Jax - it gets boring.

And playing different variation of one character for me is also appealing. If they differ significantly. Because you can change playstyle and still rely heavy on muscle memory you already have of that character's inputs. That's actually main flaw i see in Reptile. It seems that his 3 variation don't differ much.
Kotal is way more interesting in that sense, because his 3 variations are really different. So i'm considering him heavily as well. Except Sun God cause hi is a grappler as well as Wrestler (3-directional inputs - more strain on left thumb). He is mad cool also. =) But i don't think that hi has any more advantage againt zoners than Jax. That's why i'm still thinking mostly.

Last edited:

Osagri

I think i didn't clarify enough. What i don't like about Jax's execution is that my hand gets tired. =) If i play for more that an hour my left thumb gets tired, gets slower and i start to mess up 3-directional inputs bad. It happens especially fast if i started with practicing combos in training mode. The fact that it's challenging i actually enjoy. And i definitely plan of learning HW, i have already tried it and using run cancels looks interesting. They look more interesting than Lui's of Johnny's because they have more strategic purpose than just getting more plus frames. But learning it now will only put more strain on my left arm.

That's why i'm searching for another character, with easier execution. Here by easier execution i mean - less buttons =) So i can switch to him and give my hand rest when it gets tired. Characters that are trivial to play i don't actually like. Played Cryomancer Sub-zero before Jax - it gets boring.

And playing different variation of one character for me is also appealing. If they differ significantly. Because you can change playstyle and still rely heavy on muscle memory you already have of that character's inputs. That's actually main flaw i see in Reptile. It seems that his 3 variation don't differ much.
Kotal is way more interesting in that sense, because his 3 variations are really different. So i'm considering him heavily as well. Except Sun God cause hi is a grappler as well as Wrestler (3-directional inputs - more strain on left thumb). He is mad cool also. =) But i don't think that hi has any more advantage againt zoners than Jax. That's why i'm still thinking mostly.
Kotals command grab is db2, not dbf2 :)

Reactions: GAV

igogorek

Noob
Kotals command grab is db2, not dbf2 :)
You tricked me man. =) His command grab is 2-directional, but Sun God still has crucial 3-directional specials. =)
Still i tried Kotal and he is really cool. He also has projectile parry, projectile with a knock down, crazy d4, good advancing mids and protection totem in Blood God, so maybe he is doing not bad against zoners at all. I guess i would try more him and Reptile both and see what clicks. And i actually should just learn to run-duck under projectiles anyways. =)
Thanks for all the answers.

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
Kitana is a good character. But she has the most awkward fighting stance I have ever seen. When I look at her I have only one question - Why? :)

HQT is really interesting, but input heavy.
Cause you can't see perfection. In all it's booty-flying, face-running, ab-kicking, head-chopping, body-splitting, none Staff Grab Brutaility glory. Shame.

byAidan

I'm just looking to level up, ya feel?
Kitana has some sort of mixups and good zoning. I'd recommend her for zoning. And plus frames after EX Fans is nice.