What's new

Question Best combo option with shang against botched kitana fan lift?

Goofart

Mr. Sexy Pants
Ok, I'm sure everyone's been in this predicament. Say you're shang and your opponent playing as kit pulls off an unsuccessful fan lift. Whether you had it blocked or not, what is the best combo or move you can think of quickly to pull off maximum damage in either case of being a) in front of your opponent & b) behind your opponent? (same applies to behind baraka's blade fury)

A) Morph into sub quickly and icefreeze? (setting up jumpkick into ground slick> uppercut)
or morph into kit and reverse fan lift?

B) Morph into Jax. Forearm hammer to dizzy, then crossover jumpkick into gotcha grab
or morph into Lao. Spin and then jumping punch, whiff into another spin, then dive kick into hat? (or is this one impossible due to the startup time of the initial spin?)

Oh and when I mean what is the best combo/move I'm asking theoretically. I don't mean what's the best one YOU have actually pulled off ;)

I'd assume it's the morph to kitana and fan lift or the lao kombo(if it's possible to get the first spin out). The jax combo would take a huge amount of damage too but for some reason I feel the kitana fanlift combo takes off more.

honestly,i dont see that situation as a combo opportunity (maybe i should). i view that as a "get the hell out of there" or "now i have an opp to morph and do what im gonna do next" opportunity. if you block the kit fan lift as shang, you better morph as fast as you can and have an idea of what you wanna do. you could turn into subby real quick and then freeze and deep freeze until morhp back into shang and then morph into desired character for a combo. you should set up a few scenarios and remember them for these instances. you could have a "set-list" for that situation. now that you mentioned this,ill have to work on that as well,hahaha.

but i would also agree with vassago that turning into kit is fast and efficient, plus she provides access to quick 3,4 hit combos in fan lift (not in corner) in corner upwards of 7 hits online (my friend in real life "can_i_bus-" is the only person i ever seen doing 7 hit kitana corner combo ONLINE!!, i watched him do it on seriouz-biz yesterday at his house,ask seriouz) that MUST be the highest hit i have ever seen online,no doubt.the combo is almost impossible not being online!!

i would do what vassago mentioned, i also wanna look into this as well. good thread goo.

If you're in the corner, and if you can land it.....scorp jk, lp,lp, spear, rh, rh, rh....I think its possible to do another lp, lp after the spear, but I have never done it. Otherwise, the infinite death punch.

Bo_DK

Noob
Quickly, i would just do the flying kick and follow it with 3 fireballs for a 4 hit combo wich would do alot of damage, half a bar right. I dont morph TO make a combo, i just make a combo with whom ever i am at the moment...

Bo_DK said:
Quickly, i would just do the flying kick and follow it with 3 fireballs for a 4 hit combo wich would do alot of damage, half a bar right. I dont morph TO make a combo, i just make a combo with whom ever i am at the moment...
wait,im confused. how would you do that combo if your not in the corner and if you are just standing when you cancelled the fan lift? unless your at the closest range and then block and before they finish fan lift you jump over kick,but how would you follow with 3 fireballs? to me this question refers to not being in the corner when this is happening. i dont see this as a combo opportunity, i see this as an opportunity to get out of that situation that got you close to the fan lift in the first place.

bo is always getting me with the jump kick into triple fireball combo midscreen, you don't need to be in the corner to pull that off.

IceyTruth said:
bo is always getting me with the jump kick into triple fireball combo midscreen, you don't need to be in the corner to pull that off.
jump kick triple-fireball? im not a liu player but im pretty sure i have never seen anyone do 3 fireballs after a jump kick. i definitly wanna see that because im curious, or maybe i have seen it but it doesnt ring a bell

dookiebrain said:
IceyTruth said:
jump kick triple-fireball? im not a liu player but im pretty sure i have never seen anyone do 3 fireballs after a jump kick. i definitly wanna see that because im curious, or maybe i have seen it but it doesnt ring a bell
Sometimes I wish it didn't work cos Bo_DK always gets me with it. He does a jump crossover kick into 3 fireballs, its pretty sweet :)

IceyTruth said:
dookiebrain said:
IceyTruth said:
Sometimes I wish it didn't work cos Bo_DK always gets me with it. He does a jump crossover kick into 3 fireballs, its pretty sweet :)
jump kick high fireball,low fireball,low fireball? that's awsome, i dont wanna get nailed with that,lmo. must have to be a super deep kick at first. that is definitly pretty sweet

X820

Noob
Assuming you blocked the fan lift, not in corner..

Jax's overhead hammer then CJ, gotcha-grab is massive damage and easy to pull off.
3 of these and you're dead (not DED LOL).

Lao's Spin whiff is impossible unless they jump on top of the spin, on female ninja's it's not possible though:)

To take it up a notch:

Morphing into Kitana, fan lift-combo is good for severe damage

Morping into Mileena, CJ-kick, roll, JP-SAI is nice also and good for intimidation :D

The easiest and IF used at all is Sub's: Sweep, ground freeze, uppercut.

Most people just uppercurt after they blocked a fan lift.

X820

Noob
Oh and under IDEAL circumstances (and a shitload of TALENT),

Morph into reptile; Forceball, aaP infinite! LOL

X820 said:
Oh and under IDEAL circumstances (and a shitload of TALENT),

Morph into reptile; Forceball, aaP infinite! LOL
Man, I remember those crazy UMK3 infinites that ded_ and Shock showed with the dashes in between the aaHP's. I'm not much of a UMK3 player but that shit was cool.

dookiebrain said:
IceyTruth said:
dookiebrain said:
IceyTruth said:
jump kick high fireball,low fireball,low fireball? that's awsome, i dont wanna get nailed with that,lmo. must have to be a super deep kick at first. that is definitly pretty sweet
I'm pretty sure he's talking about Shangs triple fireball. not liu kang

Goofart

Mr. Sexy Pants
Bo_DK said:
You're talking about shang deep jumpkick into 3 flaming skulls right? I think this is possible for instance A) (in front of your opponent) if you can time your jump as soon as fan lift animation ends, but highly difficult for B) since you would have to position yourself for the jump behind the opponent and I can't see shang being that further away from a back turned kitana (unless you were previously kitana and squared waved behind your opponent to get into position before they started the missed fan lift).

X820 said:

Lao's Spin whiff is impossible unless they jump on top of the spin, on female ninja's it's not possible though:)

To take it up a notch:

Morping into Mileena, CJ-kick, roll, JP-SAI is nice also and good for intimidation :D
You're right about lao's spin requirement for whiff, totally forgot about that. Is it possible to morph into mileena quick enough after a blocked fan lift? Plus with the crossjump, wouldn't kitana already recover by then? if not, that would be a nice combo to pull off in this situation. Maybe dookie should try this out.

Yes, sorry guys iwas talking about shang not liu. if you get the kick low enough like on the shins when doing a crossover you can get a 3 fireball hit.

dookie, if that liu combo is possible it would be amazing :)

X820

Noob
X820 said:

To take it up a notch:

You're right about lao's spin requirement for whiff, totally forgot about that. Is it possible to morph into mileena quick enough after a blocked fan lift? Plus with the crossjump, wouldn't kitana already recover by then? if not, that would be a nice combo to pull off in this situation. Maybe dookie should try this out.
[/quote]

Mileena's combo on kitana is pretty hard to do in mid battle, it has to be timed exactly right (the kick before the roll) or otherwise you'll knock her to far away for you to be able to catch her in the air with a JP.

While morphing into mileena it has to be done: Block fan -> morph or it will be (most likely) be blockable..

:)

S

scheissn

Completely wiffed fan lift = Sub morph, it is very consistent and you can zone with Sub, which is what you want if you are playing as Shang vs Kit.

Blocked fan lift = close hp (elbow) and throw three fireballs while they recover.
Generally leads to chip damage and possibly 3 x fb if they try to tp out of it + leads to zoning again.

If Kit is that close to you when you are Shang, then you need the distance.

X820

Noob
ScheissNussen said:
Completely wiffed fan lift = Sub morph, it is very consistent and you can zone with Sub, which is what you want if you are playing as Shang vs Kit.

Blocked fan lift = close hp (elbow) and throw three fireballs while they recover.
Generally leads to chip damage and possibly 3 x fb if they try to tp out of it + leads to zoning again.

If Kit is that close to you when you are Shang, then you need the distance.

I disagree with you here man, most kitana players jump a lot and do CJ's for a CJ-fan combo..

Shang is one of the best upclose, jab pressure and his uppercut are lethal.
Whenever I'm shang I always get in there for close-kombat, upclose against kitana I find shang tsung to be most effective :)

Bo_DK

Noob
Goofart said:
Bo_DK said:
You're talking about shang deep jumpkick into 3 flaming skulls right? I think this is possible for instance A) (in front of your opponent) if you can time your jump as soon as fan lift animation ends, but highly difficult for B) since you would have to position yourself for the jump behind the opponent and I can't see shang being that further away from a back turned kitana (unless you were previously kitana and squared waved behind your opponent to get into position before they started the missed fan lift).

I had blocked the fans as kitane started them, then i backjumped flying kick and 3 fireballs. It said in the example that i could block. And its not that hard to pull off, just wait to press hk when jumping until you are a split-frame from landing :)