What's new

General/Other Behold mine spikes of villainy! - Ares General Discussion

ryublaze

Noob
ok and what do you guys think about 3d2 b4? It seems like with 3d2 4 trait cancel you have to commit to the dash but with 3d2 b4 u can confirm to release the axe or dash cancel backwards. But this combo compared to the 22 dark energy combo only does 2% more and you lose axe trait but it sets ur opponent full screen so idk.

EDIT: Nvm the backdash is punishable. Lamesauce.
EDIT: or maybe not? Depends on how fast you react and backdash.

Last edited:

4x4lo8o

Noob
ok and what do you guys think about 3d2 b4? It seems like with 3d2 4 trait cancel you have to commit to the dash but with 3d2 b4 u can confirm to release the axe or dash cancel backwards. But this combo compared to the 22 dark energy combo only does 2% more and you lose axe trait but it sets ur opponent full screen so idk.

EDIT: Nvm the backdash is punishable. Lamesauce.
EDIT: or maybe not? Depends on how fast you react and backdash.
I think it's a pretty decent idea, actually. Axe is often used as a combo ender anyway, since if you use it you're only losing access projectile as opposed to a combo starter. The axe is a lot less valuable in the neutral game and for combo damage so using it isn't really a big deal. You can get 19% or 20% damage off of 3d2~axe depending on the character and when you release it(goofy, inconsistent hitbox stuff comes into play). I use axe all the time to end my other midscreen combos, and it only adds a couple percent there too.
It looks like Flash's reversal Lightning Charge will punish a back dash. I don't know if that's a reasonable punish though, and I can't think of many other moves or characters that can do that. If Flash goes for the Lightning Charge(or any reversal, or presses buttons) and you just release the axe he'll get stuffed. Technically it's punishable if they block the axe, but there's enough pushback that most characters won't ever be able to punish. Also, you can forward dash out of axe and be safe on block or combo on hit just like with sword.

Also, I disagree with InFlames about not using the sword to extend that combo. It's difficult enough to land a 3d2 as is and Ares doesn't get much damage out of the 50/50. If it does hit I want to squeeze out all the damage I can. I'm usually going to take that 6% while it's free, rather than hoping that I'll get another chance in the next 9 seconds to combo or mix them up again

Last edited:

4x4lo8o

Noob
Didn't know your scene was dead.. That sux. I wouldn't have as much motivation either if that happened to my scene.
Yeah, Cole just contacted us about attempting to do that 5v5 again and I don't know where we're gonna get 5 people. There's definitely going to be at least 1 or 2 people on the team that haven't been playing the game at all recently. Maybe this'll jump start our scene, but right now it seems like me and Alex are the only people that are actually interested in playing the game. It's getting harder and harder to round people up to play and we're long past the point where I can just say "casuals at my place on Thursday" and expect anyone to show up.

I used to think of myself as a tech guy in MK9 :oops: but anyways InFlames is the tech guy for Ares (but he said that 4x4lo8o found all the corner stuff so idk). When I try to find tech in Injustice it seems so bare bones and so far I haven't found anything new with Ares. I don't think there's much left to find for this character sadly.
InFlames is definitely the tech guy. I posted all the corner in that thread, but a bunch of it wasn't stuff I found(I think my biggest contribution was the teleport cross ups, anything else I came up with was just fleshing out or modifying stuff other people found) and a lot of that came from him. He's also amazingly consistent. Everything he puts out is high quality.

ok I'm slowly getting it down still kinda hard for me though. The F3 one seems the easiest. Also I noticed that if I do 112 (blocked) d4 then I can't connect the jump 2 no matter what unless they try jumping out. Not sure if this is hitbox dependent cuz I'm doing it on Ares and it won't work. So I think this is where dashing forward and doing f23 comes in?
yeah, when d4 hits outside of a combo you often can't use j2 afterwards. Sometimes you can j1, b13 follow up but a lot of the time the best you can follow up with is a fireball.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Yeah, Cole just contacted us about attempting to do that 5v5 again and I don't know where we're gonna get 5 people. There's definitely going to be at least 1 or 2 people on the team that haven't been playing the game at all recently. Maybe this'll jump start our scene, but right now it seems like me and Alex are the only people that are actually interested in playing the game. It's getting harder and harder to round people up to play and we're long past the point where I can just say "casuals at my place on Thursday" and expect anyone to show up.
I'm hoping the 5v5 does jump start your scene. It was pretty fun last time we went down there.. If it's just two of you guys then you kan at least get together and try to bring more people in by kontacting everyone you know around the area and kreating a thread on here. It sux that the map thing on here didn't get going. In my opinion it was very beneficial for this sort of thing.

InFlames

dead
Also, I disagree with InFlames about not using the sword to extend that combo. It's difficult enough to land a 3d2 as is and Ares doesn't get much damage out of the 50/50. If it does hit I want to squeeze out all the damage I can. I'm usually going to take that 6% while it's free, rather than hoping that I'll get another chance in the next 9 seconds to combo or mix them up again
If you want to go for max damage you can do:

3d2, trait cancel, 22d4, forward dash, j3

It does 2% more than the Dark Energy ender.

4x4lo8o

Noob
If you want to go for max damage you can do:

3d2, trait cancel, 22d4, forward dash, j3

It does 2% more than the Dark Energy ender.
Whoah, I like that one.
The knockdown and spacing are strange if they don't tech roll. It doesn't look like it's going to be the end of the combo. Gives enough advantage for a Godsmack reset and leaves you in position for a mb f3 to stuff a wake up. And sets up a cross up Godsmack if it pushes them to the corner(actually you can probably combo better if they're in the corner). I'm gonna try this one

Breakin Wordzz

Best Rengar NA, also ares of world
I used to post stuff like tech or setups in ares threads but i stopped because the lack of intrest.
Also it doesnt help when there arent many ares players, not on the forum or not on stream.
I wish i had more motivation to post stuff in ares forums, cause i really love this character and still have fun with him.

Anyway what happened to the quickstand setups, isnt there a thread specially for this?
Im currently finding a way to mix up quickstand setup with teleport setup midscreen, so they have to be aware they cant just mash wakeup when they see me go for quickstand setup.
i play ares

4x4lo8o

Noob
It doesn't jail, they can crouch the Dark Energy. Also, I think DE has pushback so you can't throw or d1

Edit: Nvm, it jails

Last edited:

4x4lo8o

Noob
I swear I've tested that before and it didn't jail. I know I've thought of it. Oh well... Glad I tested now.

It does have enough pushback that you can't hit them with anything other than b1, f3, or d4 afterwards. None of those are fast enough to be guaranteed at all. It's good for chip and meter building I guess. I'm not sure how else to use it

ryublaze

Noob
Some topics we should discuss after watching @Mr Aquaman 's Ares amazing performance:

f23 trait cancel mid combo - is there a reason to use this if opponent knows to tech roll?

112 mb invis / tele in the corner - wow really nice I really like the tele into neutral jump 2. Is mb invis worth it?

Meter management

What players should know before fighting Ares

Is Ares bottom 2?

4x4lo8o

Noob
Some topics we should discuss after watching @Mr Aquaman 's Ares amazing performance:

f23 trait cancel mid combo - is there a reason to use this if opponent knows to tech roll?

112 mb invis / tele in the corner - wow really nice I really like the tele into neutral jump 2. Is mb invis worth it?

Meter management

What players should know before fighting Ares

Is Ares bottom 2?

I want to see what one of the guys who've been using it successfully say, but as far as the f23 tdc cross up set up thing I think it's pretty useless if they tech roll. I've tried using it a bit but most of my training partners are former Marvel guys who seem to mash like crazy while they're getting combo'd and will tech roll every single time and I haven't found any obvious way to make it work or seen any reason for me to keep trying it in my normal envoirnment.
Lots of people don't tech roll like that though and even some who do usually tech roll could miss it if they're not expecting the combo to end.

Those corner set ups are definitely worth it. I've been using both of them for a long time and they're in my corner set up thread because they're really good.
They're sort of match up specific(mb invis isn't great against characters with a hard to avoid, safe way to check you and the tele set up can suffer against character with strong option select wake ups) and I usually go for cross up godsmack set ups or mb f3 to stuff wake ups because they tend to be more consistent and less likely to accidentally get blown up by and opponent doing random shit but I think they're both worth having in your repertoire.

Meter management is a problem. I never have enough meter for Ares. Lately I've been focusing hard on polishing up and expanding my unclashable combos and set ups because any time the opponent clashes is usually a disaster(dat feel when the opponent clashes themselves out of the corner and regains 25% health...). I definitely find myself doing tdc's as much as I can, turning invis on and off, and far teleporting more often than I want to just to gain meter.
I feel like we could go into a lot of depth talking about Ares and meter. It could be it's own thread.

Know before playing Ares?
2 rules for Godsmack:
-if you're standing when you see it, nj and full combo punish
-if you're on the ground when you see it, wake up
Block low until you see the overhead.
Don't let him teleport for free. Attemp to punish by mashing throw if you have to. If he's using far teleport a lot or predictably(like waking up in the corner) at least attempt to punish it(jump ins and throwing shit work well) - it's more punishable than you think
Back dash a lot. Always tech roll
Don't try to jump over Axe unless you know how to jump over Axe(many characters can jump it consistently, but even if yours can you'll screw it up if you haven't practiced)
His invis goes away if you make him block an attack
Most normals/strings into low sword have an interruptable gap and the ones that don't often jail, so mashing d1 if you suspect it's coming isn't a terrible idea
I could probably go on a lot longer with this...

Is he bottom two?
I probably wouldn't rank my match up chart like that(if you're going to use a numbered list you need a specific, systematic method for determining placement between a lot of the characters) and I don't know enough about the other lower tier character and their match ups and advanced tools to really make a judgement, but I don't think Ares being that low is out of the question. I honestly can name two characters that I feel are definitely worse than him right now.

ryublaze

Noob
@4x4lo8o

I agree with f23 tdc not working too well against players who tech roll. But if it works and your opponent doesn't know about it then it can be useful. Personally I wouldn't use it.

About 112 tele in the corner - it seems like if the opponent tech rolls then your neutral jump 2 will always hit on the same side. I am thinking that it might be better to just go straight into f23/b23. Depending on which side ur on you'll either get a f23 or b23.

About 112 mb invis -this could go along with meter management. While it's really good for mindgames, you have to burn a bar of meter for it.

What do you think about D3 ender in the corner? It gives you an ambiguous cross-up. I am doing: combo starter~d4, j2, f23, f23, d3, walk back, jump in 2. Off this you can do f23/b23 and hit confirm it. Block confirm ji2 f2 into 3 or dd4, or block confirm ji2 b21 mb tele (frametrap and puts opponent back in the corner). Also opens up options for godsmack and mb f3. I know @InFlames has something similar to this using mb invis.

For meter management, sometimes I feel like I waste meter on mb tele. I mean it's good for catching opponent off guard or escaping, but if u use it to get in and do anything after that u can still be interrupted. I am feeling that meter is better spent on godsmack, f3, and dark energy. Also I think this is known but confirming godsmack into mb godsmack is good meter management (pressing mb button at the very end of godsmack animation).

Mr Aquaman

Protector of the Realms
Lead Moderator
f2,3 tdc

i didnt do this in tournament but theres one big thing that changes why it might be bad. there is a counter tech roll option, pure and simple, godsmack, always on first attempt to the regular cross up option. If they tech roll they will tech roll the next one, almost gaurenteed. Do f2,3 or 3, d2 same thing, tdc or forward dash then immediately and mid godsmack, hits at the end of the tech roll beautifully. its a wonderful mind game to keep them guessing and worried at ALL times.

Mr Aquaman

Protector of the Realms
Lead Moderator
secret, i gave up on d4 godsmack the day I saw it in your combo video haha, d4, de 4 life T_T also on most stages a d4 into dash j1 is a great otg interactable on air ones <3

InFlames

dead
Random question, but was d4 faster when the game released? I'm asking this because of this combo:

This is impossible to do, and it looks faster in general.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Random question, but was d4 faster when the game released? I'm asking this because of this combo:

It doesn't look faster to me...but I can see it not working on smaller characters.

4x4lo8o

Noob

The video was uploaded April 15, which means that was from the pre-day 1 patch. The same version of the game where ftd was -7 and half the strings in the game had huge 10 frames holes in them.

Since Vanilla I don't think trait has changed. There was 1 patch that changed the frame data on it, but I tested at the time and it was just a correction to the frame data, the move itself wasn't actually changed