What's new

General/Other Behold mine spikes of villainy! - Ares General Discussion

4x4lo8o

Noob
Starting Ares after reading a bit. I think I have the idea quick question though is there much use for overhead axe/sword I couldn't think of much while messing with him in training.

He seems kinda fun I love the mb godsmack set ups.
Not really. The OH trait can be used as a cheap mix up and OH sword is a standing reset if you use it as a combo ender. Not super useful, especially with how comparatively useful axe and sword are for zoning and how sword is needed for a launcher

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Starting Ares after reading a bit. I think I have the idea quick question though is there much use for overhead axe/sword I couldn't think of much while messing with him in training.

He seems kinda fun I love the mb godsmack set ups.
agreed.i love the gimmicky play style of ares,unlike alot of the cast u can be very creative with him.

ryublaze

Noob
so umm can any1 help me with Ares' oki game (i think that's what you call it)? On stages with bg bounce I end combos with bg bounce invis then either do MB F3 or Godsmack but characters with multi hit wake-ups beat me everytime so how do u deal with characters like that? do u just end combos normally? and on stages without bg bounce do u just do normal combos or are there any hard knockdown enders like with d3?

EDIT: Is 112, d4, ji2, b23, d3 25% a good d3 ender combo?

Last edited:

4x4lo8o

Noob
so umm can any1 help me with Ares' oki game (i think that's what you call it)? On stages with bg bounce I end combos with bg bounce invis then either do MB F3 or Godsmack but characters with multi hit wake-ups beat me everytime so how do u deal with characters like that? do u just end combos normally? and on stages without bg bounce do u just do normal combos or are there any hard knockdown enders like with d3?

Depends on the character. If they don't have option select wake ups you can try crossing up their controls. After a bgb you can dash under or you can dash and not go under so that can make it harder for them to wake up. Do as much as you can to make it ambiguous so they can't even get the wake up out.

If you're playing against Batgirl or Deathstroke who have invincible, multi-hitting, option selecting wake ups you have to get more creative. You can try to bait out unsafe wake ups and just block, but most of your oki is slow enough to react to. If one wake up is unsafe and you know they're just gonna mash out a wake up you can try to option select them into the unsafe wake up and punish that way(like if you think Batgirl is going to mash out Cartwheel dash under so it turns into Uppercut which you can block and punish).
Other than that you have to look at wake up specific punishes, like with Deathstrokes Sword Spin you can neutral jump it and punish so you can try throwing in neutral jumps sometimes.

Other than that, you can just opt for optimal damage. Usually my go to plan when resets and oki shenanigans aren't working is to drop them. No point in using something that isn't working, especially if you're dropping damage to try it

Ares has hard knockdown off of d3, uu4, f12, and 223. He doesn't get too much off of them though. I think he was intentionally given shitty hard knockdowns because of the GS resets, and it really hurts him. There's a few set ups off of d3. You can do something like starter, b23, d2, d3 for a cross up set up that's good against characters that are vulnerable to that kind of thing on wake up. There's videos floating around somewhere on the forums

Last edited:

InFlames

dead

EDIT: Is 112, d4, ji2, b23, d3 25% a good d3 ender combo?
After a BG I just finish my combos. d3 enders I only use against characters without option select wake-ups otherwise I finish my combo for damage.

I don't like b23, d3 since it leaves you too close where you can't mix-up your jump ins. If I go for a d3 ender I always use d2, d3.

Mr Aquaman

Protector of the Realms
Lead Moderator
his oki game is MU based. there are alot of characters where your only option is to end your combos to put your opponent away from you, sad to say but it's true. corner excluded <3 i dont give a damn what character your playing, in the corner ggs

4x4lo8o

Noob
223 isn't a hard knockdown
fuck. I even stopped and thought about that one before I posted it "Is 223 actually a hkd or is that the one that for some reason people always say is a hkd even though it isn't? Oh well, it probably is"

I don't ever use 223, but for some reason I always see a ton of online players using. I'm not sure why.

4x4lo8o

Noob
ive seen 1,1 hit behind his head like aquamans b1,3's phantom hitbx
Yeah, he like winds his arm back and hits behind him. Unfortunately the hitbox in front of him is terrible. I'm certain this move wasn't buffed. The second hit can whiff after the first hit connects and it constantly drops during air juggles.

InFlames

dead
fuck. I even stopped and thought about that one before I posted it "Is 223 actually a hkd or is that the one that for some reason people always say is a hkd even though it isn't? Oh well, it probably is"

I don't ever use 223, but for some reason I always see a ton of online players using. I'm not sure why.
I know what you mean. I see a lot of Ares players online doing 223 into Godsmack which is pure gimmick. If you tech roll and they do Godsmack it's an easy full combo punish, you can't counter the tech roll with far Godsmack like other setups since they stand up really fast so its pretty useless.

ryublaze

Noob
I only end combos with 223 if it'll end the round cuz it is easy to land. I hate ending with 112 fireball, so inconsistent :(

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Is anyone here dedicated to finding tech with this character or has everyone given up hope?

Lots of things about this character remind me of Arrow.... Including the forums..

4x4lo8o

Noob
Is anyone here dedicated to finding tech with this character or has everyone given up hope?

Lots of things about this character remind me of Arrow.... Including the forums..
I'm out of ideas and motivation, for the most part. My local scene is dead, I can't convince myself online is worth playing, and spending time in practice mode is hard if you never get a chance to take it out of the lab. I have tried to post threads and do what I can to keep the forums alive, but often even when I do post stuff there aren't many people who comment about it. There's just not enough people to bounce ideas back and forth with.

There a still a few ideas I have to explore and stuff I know I'm using that hasn't been posted about much but they're all fairly minor and motivation to post about them is at an all time low.

I'm also not really a tech guy, so that doesn't help. I have no idea how one goes about finding tech. Those guys who are constantly churning out tech are amazing to me, I have no idea how they do it.

It also hurts that we have no high level representation, our character never shows up on streams, and the only time anyone mentions Ares is to claim that he's secretly high-mid tier.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I'm out of ideas and motivation, for the most part. My local scene is dead, I can't convince myself online is worth playing, and spending time in practice mode is hard if you never get a chance to take it out of the lab. I have tried to post threads and do what I can to keep the forums alive, but often even when I do post stuff there aren't many people who comment about it. There's just not enough people to bounce ideas back and forth with.

There a still a few ideas I have to explore and stuff I know I'm using that hasn't been posted about much but they're all fairly minor and motivation to post about them is at an all time low.

I'm also not really a tech guy, so that doesn't help. I have no idea how one goes about finding tech. Those guys who are constantly churning out tech are amazing to me, I have no idea how they do it.

It also hurts that we have no high level representation, our character never shows up on streams, and the only time anyone mentions Ares is to claim that he's secretly high-mid tier.
Didn't know your scene was dead.. That sux. I wouldn't have as much motivation either if that happened to my scene.

I've been trying to find someone to bounce off ideas with. I found a lot of minor stuff with Arrow but it all adds up. Since I see similar potential in Ares I was hoping people were motivated with him. I know Martian is top tier and I like him but he always drains my motivation. Everything seems direct, this works or it doesn't ever work. I put like 5% of my time into him and like 90% into Arrow. (And yet I still do better with Martian.. lol)

Ares seems more like my type of character than Flash, even though I love his kancels. (Sadly that's all I do and against jumping characters it's not good.)

The things I've found with Arrow seem to sort of translate to Ares as well.

Usually tech guys just spend a lot of time testing one thing and then each thing leads to another. At least that's what happened to me and I'm not sure how much of a tech guy I am...

I'm hoping Ares, really is better than he seems. He looks like he has a mixed bag of tools and while I kan definitely see how he kan get overwhelmed he has answers that other characters don't. And like Arrow, it looks like he requires quite a bit of konditioning as well.

ryublaze

Noob
I used to think of myself as a tech guy in MK9 :oops: but anyways InFlames is the tech guy for Ares (but he said that 4x4lo8o found all the corner stuff so idk). When I try to find tech in Injustice it seems so bare bones and so far I haven't found anything new with Ares. I don't think there's much left to find for this character sadly.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I used to post stuff like tech or setups in ares threads but i stopped because the lack of intrest.
Also it doesnt help when there arent many ares players, not on the forum or not on stream.
I wish i had more motivation to post stuff in ares forums, cause i really love this character and still have fun with him.

Anyway what happened to the quickstand setups, isnt there a thread specially for this?
Im currently finding a way to mix up quickstand setup with teleport setup midscreen, so they have to be aware they cant just mash wakeup when they see me go for quickstand setup.

InFlames

dead
I'm currectly trying to find interactable setups for him. So far I've only explored the top of the Batcave. He has OTG's(kind of useless but a cool gimmick, RedRaptor10 this is why I kept trying to put you in the corner lol), character dependent traps, and plenty of Godsmack 50/50's. After I explore the bottom level I'll upload them and then make an "interactable setups" thread. I'll try to make one for every stage.

Last edited:

ryublaze

Noob
I'm currectly trying to find interactable setups for him. So far I've only explored the top of the Batcave. He has OTG's(kind of useless but a cool gimmick, RedRaptor10 this is why I kept trying to put you in the corner lol), character dependent traps, and plenty of Godsmack 50/50's. After I explore the bottom level I'll upload them and then make an "interactable setups" thread. I'll try to make one for every stage.
your setups were gdlk. so from what I saw, you end a combo with f23 that reverses sides then do the interactable missile? that is pretty neat. I just did b1 into interactable lol.

ryublaze

Noob
Anyone having trouble hit confirming a jump 2 after d4? I'm not sure if it his hit confirmable. I am doing 112 d4 on the AI set to random block and I can't react in time to do a ji2. A lot of times when I do this in a match and d4 gets blocked I end up jumping in and getting AAed. I'm thinking about doing 112 dash forward f23 axe/dark energy...

I'm also liking ending combos with axe then going in with in front teleport.

InFlames

dead
Anyone having trouble hit confirming a jump 2 after d4? I'm not sure if it his hit confirmable. I am doing 112 d4 on the AI set to random block and I can't react in time to do a ji2. A lot of times when I do this in a match and d4 gets blocked I end up jumping in and getting AAed. I'm thinking about doing 112 dash forward f23 axe/dark energy...

I'm also liking ending combos with axe then going in with in front teleport.
The trick to hit confirming d4 is by holding forward jump and letting go when the sword hits them. If they block you will just stand there, if it hits you will jump. Try it out.

4x4lo8o

Noob
Yeah, the move has a ton of recovery on block but almost none on hit. You hold up immediately after inputting it so that if it hits you jump, if it doesn't hit you're in recovery won't jump and you let go of up before you finish recovering. It's sorta like you're presuming it's gonna hit and you're block confirming instead of hit confirming.
F3 is the same way. Throw it out and hold up, let go of up if they block it

ryublaze

Noob
The trick to hit confirming d4 is by holding forward jump and letting go when the sword hits them. If they block you will just stand there, if it hits you will jump. Try it out.
Yeah, the move has a ton of recovery on block but almost none on hit. You hold up immediately after inputting it so that if it hits you jump, if it doesn't hit you're in recovery won't jump and you let go of up before you finish recovering. It's sorta like you're presuming it's gonna hit and you're block confirming instead of hit confirming.
F3 is the same way. Throw it out and hold up, let go of up if they block it
ok I'm slowly getting it down still kinda hard for me though. The F3 one seems the easiest. Also I noticed that if I do 112 (blocked) d4 then I can't connect the jump 2 no matter what unless they try jumping out. Not sure if this is hitbox dependent cuz I'm doing it on Ares and it won't work. So I think this is where dashing forward and doing f23 comes in?