What's new

Beginners to the Tekken Fundamentals

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Alright. So i've noticed a bunch of people are curious about these. I am as well, as i've played the game, but not at a level to compete.

I think some of the more veteran guys would really do all of us newer folks a solid and just give us a few things to really focus on to get us going.

Nothing too detailed. Just enough so that we can ask intelligent questions among each other, and not super broad questions.

Crathen

Death is my business
Well first knowing how to move , backdash is good in tag 2 and proper use of BB can make ur opponent think twice about mindlessly throw out normals with short range , learn to backdash quickly bb n db n b n db while mixing your sidestepping and look for an opening to either get in or make your opponent whiff something.

Then you start learning wich way to sidestep each character along with on block / on hit frame data for their most useful moves , wich ones you can interrupt / duck & punish and eventually start using moves with crush properties in the right moment then it's all about mindgames based on your reactions / guesses.

Punishing stuff - this is a must , learn your characters best punishers from 10 to 17 and know the character frame data on block , don't miss your chances for free damage when you can.

Start training your throw breaking , if you can't tech throws you'll take damage and many times you're in for post throw Okizeme options.

Learn how to get up , remember to mix that up too , don't be afraid to take some damage when you're on the ground or you could be relaunched on a right read.

Flagg

Noob
I havent played Tekken since Tekken 3, how much has the series "evolved" since then, or are the mechanics still pretty much the same?

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
is it normal that backdash gets you about 1cm away from the opponent? someone already said the backdash is good but i try to use it to put space between opponent or to escape an attack and im still in range or still in blockstring or still at a disadvantage

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
I don't know if anyone here has seen any of Maximillian's videos, but I've always found his stuff to be very helpful. Recently, he posted a tutorial on TTT2's Tag System:

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Ah ok. I use a pad tho so it depends on what you're using. Notation I use is:

b~b, db~b, db~b, db~b...

The db after the inital backdash (b~b) cancels the recovery of the backdash to a crouch. Since you are using down 'back' to cancel it, if you follow it immediately with another 'back' it will go into another backdash. So your cancelling the recovery of the backdash and inputiing the first step to another backdash all in one input. With practice it will become smooth and not even really seeing yourself go to crouch.

NKZero

Noob

b~b, db~b, db~b, db~b...

The db after the inital backdash (b~b) cancels the recovery of the backdash to a crouch. Since you are using down 'back' to cancel it, if you follow it immediately with another 'back' it will go into another backdash. So your cancelling the recovery of the backdash and inputiing the first step to another backdash all in one input. With practice it will become smooth and not even really seeing yourself go to crouch.
With non-sway characters i.e. most of the cast, can't you basically do b~b, qcb~b, qcb~b etc.? I heard that would be easier than db~b.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
With non-sway characters i.e. most of the cast, can't you basically do b~b, qcb~b, qcb~b etc.? I heard that would be easier than db~b.
Its whatever you prefer. Since I use a pad I find that way easier. Stick players usually use qcb.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance

b~b, db~b, db~b, db~b...

Thank you very much sir!

Sent from Cyberdyne Systems