What's new

Beginner's Guide to Guilty Gear Strive

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
The Guilty Gear section is now live, and what better way to kick it off than with an exceptionally informative video from the one and only Rooflemonger!

If you're thinking about trying out Strive, please use this thread to post all your beginner questions.

Arqwart

Resident "Subhuman Piece of Trash" Edenian Player
Strive will be my first real foray into any fighting game that isn't MK or KI. I'm excited as hell but damn am I intimidated. I've also never seen a fighting game base roster that has me excited to try so many different characters. Ky, Millia, Anji, I-No, Nago, and Axl all look fun as hell. Will likely dabble with Sol and Giovanna as well.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Strive will be my first real foray into any fighting game that isn't MK or KI. I'm excited as hell but damn am I intimidated. I've also never seen a fighting game base roster that has me excited to try so many different characters. Ky, Millia, Anji, I-No, Nago, and Axl all look fun as hell. Will likely dabble with Sol and Giovanna as well.
Were you able to check out the beta?

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
On YouTube, yeah. ;):( Sadly am a PC-only guy currently so no console to access the beta.
Bummer.
I think you will enjoy it. While GG has a high ceiling, it is surprisingly easy and intuitive to get into as a beginner. And the games “personality” for lack of a better term, makes it addictive.

As a few has said, GG:Strive will be my first GG game. Enjoyed the little time I got with the Beta, so looking forward to the next one.

Feels like it might be quite a movement hectic game compared to MK!

Thingy

Send the Wolf
Also really considering checking out Strive. Never got into anything other than NRS games, so if the Beta is fun I may preorder. I just wanna play Faust. That is seriously the coolest character I have ever witnessed.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I think the reason I never got into this series is that half the fight is with getting moves to come out
Might be thinking something else

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
I'm gonna give the beta a shot, but I've never gotten into Guilty Gear. Most of the characters in the roster actively repel me.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I get everything so I'm sure I'll get in there. I tried the last beta. Kind of wild it was most of the game. Never played a person, but still got to mess around in training and play the CPU quite a bit.

Got a friend a spare PS4 that has been interested. Been trying to get him into fighters, and he hasn't quite caught fire yet but interested enough to give the beta a whirl.

It would be good to create a community around the game in these forums! I always drop games because don’t have regular people to play with, especially those who want to level up.

Arqwart

Resident "Subhuman Piece of Trash" Edenian Player
It would be good to create a community around the game in these forums! I always drop games because don’t have regular people to play with, especially those who want to level up.
Definitely. Can't speak for the console players, but I'll guaranteed be trying to get things together for any PC players for us to play semi regularly.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I want to get into this game I think but I don't know where to begin, who to play, etc. Even after watch Rooflemongers vid :laughing:

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
I want to get into this game I think but I don't know where to begin, who to play, etc. Even after watch Rooflemongers vid :laughing:
The devs have already shown that there's going to be a super robust mission mode that teaches you a lot of mechanics of the game (even stuff like kara cancel) so you don't have to worry too much about being confused. I think each character has their own arcade/missions too and they teach you combos (if the older games are any indication) so you can do those too to get a feel of which character does what :)

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
The devs have already shown that there's going to be a super robust mission mode that teaches you a lot of mechanics of the game (even stuff like kara cancel) so you don't have to worry too much about being confused. I think each character has their own arcade/missions too and they teach you combos (if the older games are any indication) so you can do those too to get a feel of which character does what :)
The game is surprisingly intuitive at the beginner level. You can even set macros to make air dashing etc easier/faster.