What's new

Match-up Discussion Becoming the Pope - The General Zod Matchup Thread

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher
Im really having a hard time against the nightwing matchup. Any tips on what I should be DOING and NOT DOING?

These videos are against 2 different NW

Watched first video. I feel like you are trying to hard to get in NW's face where he is at an advantage. All those blocked zod charges could have been full combo punished against at a better player. Control the air more and make him push buttons farther away so you can spend more time getting the trait out. You had a couple of good f2s and I think instead of charging into his face you could footsie him at f2 and palm strike range before NW gets to start his pressure game. Also the random super is on the do not list lol.

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
Yes, the NW players are still unfamiliar with the Zod matchup.

Control the air more - noted
I think instead of charging into his face you could footsie him at f2 and palm strike range before NW gets to start his pressure game. - I always tend to rush them down after a conbo to get that ambiguous neutral jump crossup. I guess I need to be more careful of that.
Also the random super is on the do not list lol - THAT WAS A FRUSTRATION MOVE LOL.

Thanks!

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
imo alot of bad mus are popping up for this character...
Idk about raven but ive been hearing a lot its a bad mu and some people say catwoman too though i dont believe it but lets see:
Doomsday
raven
catwoman
blackadam (pretty damn sure about this one)
KI
Aquaman

who else?

Very curious why people think Aquaman is a bad match up.

I've been using Zod since he came out, but just this week started to break down his match ups, and I started with Aquaman. I think Zod has alotta options in this match up, and shuts down or straight up punishes Aquaman for trying to do anything.

Can you let me know why you think it's bad, then I will present my case of findings and why I think it's good.

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher
Very curious why people think Aquaman is a bad match up.

I've been using Zod since he came out, but just this week started to break down his match ups, and I started with Aquaman. I think Zod has alotta options in this match up, and shuts down or straight up punishes Aquaman for trying to do anything.

Can you let me know why you think it's bad, then I will present my case of findings and why I think it's good.
After several sets with a strong offline Aquaman player, I think it's in his favor.

Full screen: it is tough to convince him to come to you. His zoning is faster and he can stuff zod's trait start up on reaction. From the deep has antiair properties so iazb get stuffed as well. Aquaman controls the pace at this distance.

Half screen distance: Zod seems to do better here. He can pressure and control the match a bit more. However Aquaman's normal's range is too good.

Up close: f2 can punish a blocked low scoop which is nice, and Zod can win at this range but.....
If you manage to get trait out, he will put up his own trait while holding back and trait time is too short to hit him with a second low. Obviously you don't want to ever try a crossup. Aquaman's b1 and f1 allow him to maintain pressure.

I don't think the MU is that bad, but definitely feels uphill for Zod.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
After several sets with a strong offline Aquaman player, I think it's in his favor.

Full screen: it is tough to convince him to come to you. His zoning is faster and he can stuff zod's trait start up on reaction. From the deep has antiair properties so iazb get stuffed as well. Aquaman controls the pace at this distance.

Half screen distance: Zod seems to do better here. He can pressure and control the match a bit more. However Aquaman's normal's range is too good.

Up close: f2 can punish a blocked low scoop which is nice, and Zod can win at this range but.....
If you manage to get trait out, he will put up his own trait while holding back and trait time is too short to hit him with a second low. Obviously you don't want to ever try a crossup. Aquaman's b1 and f1 allow him to maintain pressure.

I don't think the MU is that bad, but definitely feels uphill for Zod.

By AM zoning being fast do you mean his from the deep?

Because at half screen and in on a blocked one ZodCharge hits him before he can block, half screen out you can do lazer eye check which hits low and they have to block which if they do you can MB to make safe, you can also get Trait out on a blocked from the deep.

There is no reason to jump or try doing IAZBalls. Aquaman can't wake up against Zod, and thats pretty huge.

I'm still fully exploring this, but I believe it to be in Zods favor, and I will do a write up once I have all my findings organized and tested.

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher
By AM zoning being fast do you mean his from the deep?

Because at half screen and in on a blocked one ZodCharge hits him before he can block, half screen out you can do lazer eye check which hits low and they have to block which if they do you can MB to make safe, you can also get Trait out on a blocked from the deep.

There is no reason to jump or try doing IAZBalls. Aquaman can't wake up against Zod, and thats pretty huge.

I'm still fully exploring this, but I believe it to be in Zods favor, and I will do a write up once I have all my findings organized and tested.
At full screen I mean the purpose of zoning and threatening with trait won't force Aquaman to come to you. I see AM at the advantage.

At half screen I agree completely, but AM wouldn't dare throw out from the deep. Zod has a good chance at this range but both players are viable here imo.

Any write up you could do would be helpful. I'm definitely not qualified to call MU odds and there are better players making better use of his options than me. So a breakdown would be good to start thinking about other approaches.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Im really having a hard time against the nightwing matchup. Any tips on what I should be DOING and NOT DOING?

These videos are against 2 different NW players

Thanks!

I did about 45 matches tonight w a night wing for the frst time w ZOD

ZOD MU feel vastly different than sinestro .....anyway, ill do my best to upload some

ZOD players need to throw a lot
Trait a ton
Cross up 3 12 combos
Tick your strings w trait such as ...124...f21 combo or b12 combo . Also I had great success w ji3 blocked 124...f2 throw
In the NW MU IAZB aren't very good IMO so far cause ground pound hits u. I love trait w ground laser and jump in the air 3/4 away w m ZOD balls slow mixed w ground laser into trait combos (41-47%)

Remember throw a lot

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
I love trait w ground laser and jump in the air 3/4 away w m ZOD balls slow mixed w ground laser into trait combos (41-47%)
Thanks Pig, but I didnt quite get that sentence lol.

And yes please, upload the NW matchup videos!

From my understanding, Zod is to be played like a zoner. Where does he fall int eh zoner category in this game? is he mid, low or high tier? What makes him different from other zoners like Sinestro and Deathstroke?

Pig Of The Hut

Thanks Pig, but I didnt quite get that sentence lol.

And yes please, upload the NW matchup videos!
3/4 screen away jump high in the air and MB ZOD balls slow. 2nd ball will hit them As an overhead on their feet when u land throw out a trait and low laser MB . While laser hits hit 444 then after they launch overhead grab to b3 combo

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Hates NRS for making me not like Superman
Batman matchup, in my mind, is not that good. Zod's zoning isn't enough to really stop Bruce from summoning and following behind bats. Bruce can fire the bats while ducking, allowing him to counter IAZBs and Side Arm fire. I know there's a controversial esc saying that Bruce gets in for free, and against Zod, I am prone to agree. Not to mention the frequency of the bats trumps the frequency of the Wraith, which I tend to have some hard time getting out anyways.

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
My opinion so far

Aqua 5-5
Batman 4-6
Dd - 5-5
Lantern 6-4
Sinestro 5-5
Cyborg 5-5
Flash 5-5
Arrow 6-4
Grundy 5-5
Bane 6-4
NW 5-5

So far batman is light years harder on pro level to eat w ZOD than any
What about the GL match up puts it in our favour? For me it feels pretty even, but I haven't played it a lot.

Pig Of The Hut

What about the GL match up puts it in our favour? For me it feels pretty even, but I haven't played it a lot.
Parry b12
Zoning keeps him out and controls pace of match due to GL shitty movement
Trait grab punishes all ducked rockets, air rocket, turbine, jumps
ZOD just controls pace greatly from my exp

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
Parry b12
Zoning keeps him out and controls pace of match due to GL shitty movement
Trait grab punishes all ducked rockets, air rocket, turbine, jumps
ZOD just controls pace greatly from my exp
You can parry B1?! Or do you mean parry in between B1 and 2? If that's the case, then I just won the GL match up.

LEGEND

YES!
My opinion so far

Aqua 5-5
Batman 4-6
Dd - 5-5
Lantern 6-4
Sinestro 5-5
Cyborg 5-5
Flash 5-5
Arrow 6-4
Grundy 5-5
Bane 6-4
NW 5-5

is your experience in the Sinestro MU coming From Zod's side or Sinestro's?

Pig Of The Hut

What would this be? I don't have much Sinestro experience myself so am confused
Duck FB shoot side arm
W trait you get a free grab combo on blocked/whiff boulder
ZOD charge sinestro trait charge or side arm
When u hear boulder u can get a free ZOD charge in and while sinestro recovers get a free combo
Basically stay in mid range and sinestro can't do anything
Punish mid range FB on block w Zc

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher
My opinion so far

Aqua 5-5
Batman 4-6
Dd - 5-5
Lantern 6-4
Sinestro 5-5
Cyborg 5-5
Flash 5-5
Arrow 6-4
Grundy 5-5
Bane 6-4
NW 5-5

Just curious what makes the Flash 5-5. I only play 1 Flash but he is able to ignore so much of what I throw out. Any thoughts on controlling the match?

Pig Of The Hut

Just curious what makes the Flash 5-5. I only play 1 Flash but he is able to ignore so much of what I throw out. Any thoughts on controlling the match?
ZOD punishes MB torpedo hard
Slow ball to MB ground laser controls pace and space
Parry for d2 traps
Trait disables flash d2 AA and allows offense
Trait >rms
Delayed MB FB also helps control pace

LEGEND

YES!
I've played over 60 games vs ZOD w sinestro and haven't lost one

However when I play the MU I see a ton those zod's aren't doing
Duck FB shoot side arm
W trait you get a free grab combo on blocked/whiff boulder
ZOD charge sinestro trait charge or side arm
When u hear boulder u can get a free ZOD charge in and while sinestro recovers get a free combo
Basically stay in mid range and sinestro can't do anything
Punish mid range FB on block w Zc
i feel like Zod is somewhat like the GL MU in that Sinestro's options up close are very limited and/or risky but he can build trait with a fair amount of safety and can out zone him to begin with

Also, Zod with trait up Vs Sinestro with trait up is hilarious

From my understanding, Zod is to be played like a zoner. Where does he fall int eh zoner category in this game? is he mid, low or high tier? What makes him different from other zoners like Sinestro and Deathstroke?
He isn't like a runaway style zoner really. You can only play him like hat in certain matchups due to the slowwwwww startup of iazb.sidearm has to be used a lot more than you'd want to in some matches unless you want to get our iazb punished.

My general ameplan revolves around running away in the beginning to see if they can handle the zoning first. If they can't, keep doing that. If they can, get a slow iazb on th screen and follow it for the mixup. Stall until you et trait out and either zod charge in for the pressure, overhead/low them from 3/4 screen (do this first to see if they're in the know, some people get bodied by this),
or something I like doing a lot is controlling their movement with 4's which frees you up for any interactables on the screen to throw. Getting trait out can often guarantee a 20 percent unblockable