What's new

Match-up Discussion Becoming the Pope - The General Zod Matchup Thread

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Dicuss matchups here.

D3 will avoid Ares' MB fireballs

By neutral jumping Raging Charge, you can punish Bane with Ground Blast MB or trait grab. By neutral jumping and doing fast air Kryptonian Rifle MB, you will also punish Raging Charge

M2Dave:
Blocked black magic guarantees trait activation and lightning strike can be jumped on reaction full screen away. More importantly, lightning strike no longer connects on an instant aerial force ball. Black magic still does but not on reaction. The point is, you can fill the screen with aerial force balls and there is little Black Adam can do. They can do preemptive black magic, which, again, guarantees trait activation when blocked.

At mid range, the aerial charge, which is noticeably slower but still has great priority, shuts down any dive kicks and aerial movement. Phantom strike also outranges b+2 and lightning storm. b+2,3 followed by d+1 is parriable. Parry wisely, though.

I just do phantom strike against well-spaced dive kicks. If you punish, good. If not, Black Adam must still block.

Smarrgasm:
Zod wins 6-4 because of jump back zod ball and thats literally almost all you have to do until trait is back. Then you get to just mix me up for free or just chip me a bunch.

Hitting him out of jump back zod ball with Black magic and not trading is extrememely hard. He just outzones and out chips Adam all over the board.

The only way to really take control is to force Zod to the corner and hope he doesnt escape, he does to Black Adam what Black Adam does to 90% of the cast.

M2Dave:
You carefully zone with gunshot, slow force ball, and instant aerial slow force ball and run away with aerial charge. If you are nearing a corner, you activate trait, mash the 4 button, and aerial charge to the other side of the screen. Zone and run until you are nearing a corner again. Rinse and repeat. This is the basic strategy in this fight. At no point should you ever attempt any offense other than a throw.

The Grundy player cannot react to gunshot with the MB swamp hands. But to force a bait, fake the gunshot using standing 1 and crouch block. If there is a slow force ball already on the screen and the Grundy player connects MB swamp hands, he cannot combo because he cannot dash to get to you in time. If the Grundy player uses walking corpse to avoid the zoning, you should not panic. Grundy still takes full damage on all projectiles, so you are winning. Only MB swamp hands is a threat full screen away. Besides, walking corpse, even when canceled, gives a guaranteed escape with aerial charge if you are in the air. You can also go for a throw if the player is canceling the walking corpse predictably.

EpitomicaL

I play for FUN!
I'm having trouble viewing the spoilers also what if we have a match video/online gameplay can we post it here?

Zod vs Lantern definitely feels in Zod's favor to me. Hal can't keep up with Zod at full screen and he definitely cannot air projectile spam out of fear of Zod Charge. His b1 string can be parried if he does an overhead and Zod seems to easily escape his pressure in general. If you play the full screen game and get a life lead on Lantern he's pretty screwed.

Zod vs. Hawkgirl also seems in Zod's favor. Hawkgirl's d1 pressure can be parried and the crux of her gameplay in the air can be taken away with IA Zod Charge.

EpitomicaL

I play for FUN!
Well I'm not sure if this goes here or not but below I've match footage of Zod vs. Superman vs. Flash. Now the individuals who were playing Flash and Superman did a terrible job at keeping Zod in check thus the matches were ended pretty quick and fast. Overall I feel like the Superman match-up is a tricky one and Flash not so tricky unless is a really good Flash.

So far I see Catwoman Deathstroke Raven and Scorpion as his bad matchups. What they all have in common is the ability to blow by his zoning with little effort.

It feels like Zod goes 6-4 against Superman. Superman's offense is quite susceptible to Zod's parry and he can either stall in the air with Kryptonian Rifle to avoid Supe's zoning or snatch him out of his jump with Zod charge. After a knockdown on Superman it's pretty easy to get your trait out safely.

Hawkgirl and Bane seem like his most favorable matchups to me so far.

I'm working on a rough matchup chart compiled from my online experiences, training mode experimentation and theory fighting.

Ok this is a rough MU Chart I devised. I'm not saying it's perfect but I think it's a good starting point for Zods and people wanting to know how to fight Zod to see how their characters might measure up. Please let me know what you guys think.

Version 3

zodmu.jpg

The numbers represent how many fights Zod would win out of 100 assuming equal skill and matchup knowledge for both players.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
killer frost mu is not 5-5 at all.. she can parry our trait slash, punish our trait grab from full distance, slide under fbs, punish trait startup and fbs on reaction with iceberg,, might be his worst mu..
Also i say deathstroke is even.. he doesnt do any chip anymore so you can just wait for trait and get damage..

From what ive seen his bad mus are:
doomsday
killerfrost
aquaman
and batgirl

I havnt played all characters though

killer frost mu is not 5-5 at all.. she can parry our trait slash, punish our trait grab from full distance, slide under fbs, punish trait startup and fbs on reaction with iceberg,, might be his worst mu..
Also i say deathstroke is even.. he doesnt do any chip anymore so you can just wait for trait and get damage..

From what ive seen his bad mus are:
doomsday
killerfrost
aquaman
and batgirl

I havnt played all characters though

Killer Frost doesn't seem that bad to me. As crappy as Zod's strings are I still think they're better than Frost's. She's one of the only characters he can really fight up close and do decently. Blocking slide isn't the worst thing in the world. She has options afterwards but so does Zod. I also think it's closer to 5-5 bccause of the volatile nature of vortex characters in general. It all depends on how well you can guess.

Batgirl makes Zod play more honest but that doesn't mean it's a bad MU necessarily. It's not like she can do whatever she wants, she has to respect Zod Charge and Parry. If you manage to get a life lead against her and just hold down it's VERY hard for her to get in because her approach is linear and predictable. Just chill and make her have to take all the risks.

Doomsday is another character that makes Zod play really honest. The problem with Doomsday is that there are universal tools in the game to fight him with. MB b3, d1, and just blocking in general all screw Doomsday over. Doomsday's charge is his best way to get in and it can be parried. If he decides to jump Zod can fight him in the air and it's even possible to snatch him out of his Sheeva Stomp with Zod Charge if you see it coming. I think the smarter player will win more often than not.

I do agree that the Deathstroke MU might not be as bad as I thought but I still think Zod is at a disadvantage...

Deathstroke can fight Zod in the air reliably and he can force Zod to come to him a little easier than Zod can do to him. Even if you do manage to get in his face Deathstroke has better strings to fight with and it just seems tough to do reign him in. I don't think it's a terrible MU but slightly in DS's favor.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
What does zod do against Bane? =_=
As long as Zod has meter he has the advantage in that MU, just shoot ex side arms and ex fast Kryptonian rifles and he will have a difficult time getting in. Without it though things change because Bane's armor gets him in for free. You can't parry his charge anymore, and all of his specials are armored. You can also deal with his armor pretty well if you have trait. If you get it out and he tries to armored charge, it's as simple as using side arm followed up by trait. It's also good to spend a lot of time in the air in this matchup. Bane can't use charge to get in on Zod so long as he's in the air, he has to do it the old fashioned way. Once he gets to you though it's about playing smartly.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Killer Frost doesn't seem that bad to me. As crappy as Zod's strings are I still think they're better than Frost's. She's one of the only characters he can really fight up close and do decently. Blocking slide isn't the worst thing in the world. She has options afterwards but so does Zod. I also think it's closer to 5-5 bccause of the volatile nature of vortex characters in general. It all depends on how well you can guess.
Imo KF is definitely Zod's worst MU, it's manageable, but it's probably 4-6 in KF's favor. She can slide under both projectiles unless you do a low EX iaKR, and iceberg shuts us down pretty hard too. She doesn't have to be afraid of trait either. It's really hard to force her to respect you because she doesn't have to, and you don't want her getting close. Your normals have more range but they are way slower. She doesn't really have a lot she has to worry about because Zod doesn't do anything to really make her worry or think about what she wants to do. She can play her game just like she would against non zoning characters and be fine.

I'd rather face 10 Killer Frosts in a bracket than 2 good Catwomans.

Catwoman actually has solid strings and better ways to open you up than KF and does better damage. Her MB Catdash blows through ANYTHING Zod decides to do and imo is way scarier than Killer Frost's slide. Not to mention if you want to take the fight to the air Catwoman's j2 can stuff most of the things Zod wants to do in the air as well. In order to beat Catwoman you have to work super hard and probably make some miraculous reads along the way.

In order to beat Killer Frost I think you just need to be patient and have solid blocking. Not saying she doesn't force Zod to play a different game than he's used to but I feel confident that if the Zod player is better than the KF he will most likely win.

Gurimmjaw

Earthrealm
Been messing with Zod lately and a very great character to use and is my secondary. I faced Raven with him and that seems to be one of his bad match ups.

frost not good, black adam might be 6-4 adam, its too early noone has untapped zods potential from a rushdown and zoning standpoint, but frost will definetly be bad and probably his worst matchup she bodies his trait and his zoning, not sure how he contends with superman in the footsie game but he definetly counter-zones him...

I'd rather face 10 Killer Frosts in a bracket than 2 good Catwomans.

Catwoman actually has solid strings and better ways to open you up than KF and does better damage. Her MB Catdash blows through ANYTHING Zod decides to do and imo is way scarier than Killer Frost's slide. Not to mention if you want to take the fight to the air Catwoman's j2 can stuff most of the things Zod wants to do in the air as well. In order to beat Catwoman you have to work super hard and probably make some miraculous reads along the way.

In order to beat Killer Frost I think you just need to be patient and have solid blocking. Not saying she doesn't force Zod to play a different game than he's used to but I feel confident that if the Zod player is better than the KF he will most likely win.
shes got like an 18-19 frame low and the same speedish oh

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
imo alot of bad mus are popping up for this character...
Idk about raven but ive been hearing a lot its a bad mu and some people say catwoman too though i dont believe it but lets see:
Doomsday
raven
catwoman
blackadam (pretty damn sure about this one)
KI
Aquaman

who else?

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
Any tips for the NW matchup?

Cant seem to close in and zone against a NW.
Can I parry the D1 staff spam?

insignis

Noob
imo alot of bad mus are popping up for this character...
Idk about raven but ive been hearing a lot its a bad mu and some people say catwoman too though i dont believe it but lets see:
Doomsday
raven
catwoman
blackadam (pretty damn sure about this one)
KI
Aquaman

who else?
Don't see why doomsday,raven and catwoman are bad mu...

I thought Batgirl is awful for Zod but after I rewamped playstyle into more baiting to whiff, bf3 at mid range and tried to hold the whole fight at mid range, I ended up pretty well.

I believe an ability to perform iaRifle will change KI and Black Adam mu in a much better way.

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
Im really having a hard time against the nightwing matchup. Any tips on what I should be DOING and NOT DOING?

These videos are against 2 different NW players

Thanks!