What's new

Match-up Discussion Batman vs. Aquaman MU

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
So me and a buddy of mine play all the time together, and I usually win. Today seemed different though, he decided to start using Aquaman, and this leads to my question. How do I beat an Aquaman that turtles in the corber and spams from the sea (upper trident) over and over? I tried blocking and rushing in but his fucking reiculously long trident connects before my ji2 or ji1 does. I also tried not jumping in, and the same problem occured, trident pokes resulting in a reach advantage. Whenever I did manage to get a juggle going he would just trait out and punish me, usually resulting in a reset. He's not landing any combos either, I really am pretty frusterated. I want to learn to beat him with bats and not scream "ZOMG Nerf AQuAManz" Any pointers guys?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I main AM...

Dont jump in. That's how I kill all the Batman's I play. Batman's pressure game is the key to winning. You need to get tricky with your strings and mixups and usage of armor. For instance:

Use the Bats to begin free pressure(BUT DONT JUMP IN). You could start with B3, or a 112~MB batarrang, followed up by either B1, or MBF3. The F3 will launch so AM cant use his trait. If AM traits out of B1, end the string with 2 instead of 3 to stay safe.

The 113 string and 223 string are fairly useless in this matchup so start conditioning the AM player to just straight up B23, and then switch it up to B2-slightpause-B11...It's a mixup that isnt always easy to block.

The main thing is to attack when AM's trait is cooling down. If you learn to use good mixups in those windows, you can win. Keep pouring on the pressure. No one can block perfect all day.

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
Thanks for the reply, this all seems like great information. Much appreciated bro.

coolwhip

Noob
Jay Rupp

Yeah this is definitely one of Batman's toughest match-ups. I still don't think I play it correctly so don't take my advice as gospel, but here is what I learned:

Never do naked jump ins or even cross-ups (unless you want to get cute and use his glide every once in a while). Bats are essential to this match-up, and if you do want to use them to jump in, try to make sure you have 3 bats out (I get anti-aired by his D2 if I release one bat and jump in). Use the bats for pressure, and try to mix things up as much as you can. His trait, range, and D2 are awful to deal with. His D2 gets under your 6 frame jab, so use B1 and especially, B2 a lot more. Your B23 string is pretty much the only useful string that has some range, so abuse it, but don't get predictable and throw some high/low mix ups.

A neat little trick that I saw REO do is use B1...followed by another B1 (he even followed it by a third one), instead of continuing the string. After B1, your opponent will most likely fuzzy guard the rest of the string in standing block in order to avoid the potential overhead ender, so doing another low is smart. Plus, even if he blocks it, B1 is neutral on block. If you're able to land two B1's in a row, your opponent will probably crouch block, and that will allow you to throw in your F3 overhead (which is useful in this match-up since it launches right away, but it's not quick enough to abuse since Aquaman has some pretty fast normals). You can MB it to be safe, but beware, Aquaman's trident scoop and trident rush will beat your armor since they have multiple hits.

Punish his D2 on block with B113, but keep an eye on his trait. If he activates it, don't finish the string, and instead go for a mix-up/more pressure.

Don't zone from full screen with batarangs alone, as you don't want to trade with his from the deep. If you want to zone (if you have a life lead or something), do it more from mid screen while using bats for help, and try to close in on him right after that. Use MB batarangs for frame advantage. I think this is one of those match-ups where Batman has to use meter. Try doing 112 into MB Batarang for a free jump ins (you don't get to jump in a lot in this match-up so take it while you can).

Aquaman's wake ups can all be beaten a jump in, so finish your combos with up grapple for a hard knockdown and try to jump in on him if you read a wake up attack. But again, keep in mind, some Aquaman players will just mash uppercut as they're waking up (they use it like it's a true wake-up attack, lol) so time it well.

Instant air glitter can help (make sure you don't mess up the input or you'll eat an anti-air) since Aquaman players are quick to mash D2 when they see a jump in. But make sure not to whiff it, as Aquaman can punish it with scoop as you're still in the air.

Most importantly, you need to find a way to get him to the corner, where your B23 string becomes annoying for him and you get to use the rest of your arsenal.

This is all I have for the moment. I play this match-up a lot and I still struggle immensely.

I believe DarthArma once had a thread about this match-up, I wonder if he's been able to come up with some new tech/strategy against Aquaman.

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
Jay Rupp

Yeah this is definitely one of Batman's toughest match-ups. I still don't think I play it correctly so don't take my advice as gospel, but here is what I learned:

Never do naked jump ins or even cross-ups (unless you want to get cute and use his glide every once in a while). Bats are essential to this match-up, and if you do want to use them to jump in, try to make sure you have 3 bats out (I get anti-aired by his D2 if I release one bat and jump in). Use the bats for pressure, and try to mix things up as much as you can. His trait, range, and D2 are awful to deal with. His D2 gets under your 6 frame jab, so use B1 and especially, B2 a lot more. Your B23 string is pretty much the only useful string that has some range, so abuse it, but don't get predictable and throw some high/low mix ups.

A neat little trick that I saw REO do is use B1...followed by another B1 (he even followed it by a third one), instead of continuing the string. After B1, your opponent will most likely fuzzy guard the rest of the string in standing block in order to avoid the potential overhead ender, so doing another low is smart. Plus, even if he blocks it, B1 is neutral on block. If you're able to land two B1's in a row, your opponent will probably crouch block, and that will allow you to throw in your F3 overhead (which is useful in this match-up since it launches right away, but it's not quick enough to abuse since Aquaman has some pretty fast normals). You can MB it to be safe, but beware, Aquaman's trident scoop and trident rush will beat your armor since they have multiple hits.

Punish his D2 on block with B113, but keep an eye on his trait. If he activates it, don't finish the string, and instead go for a mix-up/more pressure.

Don't zone from full screen with batarangs alone, as you don't want to trade with his from the deep. If you want to zone (if you have a life lead or something), do it more from mid screen while using bats for help, and try to close in on him right after that. Use MB batarangs for frame advantage. I think this is one of those match-ups where Batman has to use meter. Try doing 112 into MB Batarang for a free jump ins (you don't get to jump in a lot in this match-up so take it while you can).

Aquaman's wake ups can all be beaten a jump in, so finish your combos with up grapple for a hard knockdown and try to jump in on him if you read a wake up attack. But again, keep in mind, some Aquaman players will just mash uppercut as they're waking up (they use it like it's a true wake-up attack, lol) so time it well.

Instant air glitter can help (make sure you don't mess up the input or you'll eat an anti-air) since Aquaman players are quick to mash D2 when they see a jump in. But make sure not to whiff it, as Aquaman can punish it with scoop as you're still in the air.

Most importantly, you need to find a way to get him to the corner, where your B23 string becomes annoying for him and you get to use the rest of your arsenal.

This is all I have for the moment. I play this match-up a lot and I still struggle immensely.

I believe DarthArma once had a thread about this match-up, I wonder if he's been able to come up with some new tech/strategy against Aquaman.
Thanks for the notes bro, I stixkied this. I saw that REO vs TB match also, I think REO won because of his bat management. Im still learning and blowing up MUs :)

A trick I have learned to use against AM players is just rushing and right when I get to him just stopping and blocking. Most AM players are going to think that I'm going to jump so they throw out the D2 anyways opening themselves up to a combo such as B113(which will get them in the air) then I 22, DF1 MB, 1,2,trait cancel (at this point most AM are going to block low because the end of 1,2,3 combo is a low I beleive haha) after trait cancel I MB F3 which will open them up for another bnb combo of your choice. Now they could still trait and I usually see them pop it at the time where I trait cancel and in that case the MB F3 on block will still give you advantage to then release the bats keeping them under pressure for a mix up because by that time there flustered to know if they should try d2 again. This does require alot of meter usage but I too believe that this fight requires more meter then most just on the basic stuff.