What's new

Match-up Discussion Batman Matchup Chart Post Evo 2014

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Me and alot of other Batman players have been discussing his matchups in a PM for a while now, and I think after all these latest tournaments (UFGT MLG CEO EVO) we finally came to a conclusion on his matchups. Batman is a solid unique character with a ton of 5-5's and few struggles but still pretty good. I made explanations for fighting each character as well, these explanations are subjectable to change and are not set in stone:

Aquaman 3-7
Ever since day 1 of Injustice's release this has obviously been Batman's hardest matchup. Aquaman's defense is just too great and he has all the perfect tools for countering Batman. His normals and pokes are much better footsie tools than ours and his d2 stops Batman from using one of his best tools j2. So Aquaman keeps Batman at bay and stops him from coming in with b12 b2 d1~trident rush etc. AND keeps us out of the air with j2. It's really hard to get in on a patient Aquaman player that does nothing but zone and chip. Even when Batman does get in all his mixups can be reacted to so opening up Aquaman is very difficult task. Even when we do finally open him up he has that trait as a life saver, and none of Batman's attacks instantly launch Aquaman except for b3 or f3. If we hit Aquman with a trait bats or even a lucky random grappling hook, he can always trait out and runaway for 12 seconds until his trait comes back.

Batman can sometimes punish trident rush on block from player 2 side (right side of the screen) if he has his trait bats out. Also with his trait bats out you can predict a FTD from across the screen, release bats dash forward and b3 for an instant launch punish. If Batman has a significant life lead he can zone but all it takes is a couple FTDs for Aquaman to turn the tide so you have to be careful zoning. Both characters have pretty bad wakeups but Batman's are still alot worse.

Ares 6-4
You have to rush him down non stop, don't give him a chance to breathe so he can zone.

Ares doesn't really have good anti-airs, so you can jump all over him and not worry too much about it. The risk reward is def in your favor. Do alot of 12 pressure to get you free jump ins. The only thing he can really do to beat your jump-in pressure is jump back 1, but there are ways of definitely punishing his j1 like trait or grappling hook. You can uppercut alot of Ares jump-ins tho if he's right above your head, not if he jumping from far out.

When he's zoning you can duck or jump over all his swords and dark energy. MB dark energy obviously you have to block or jump over. Even his axe you can duck sometimes if you're lucky, but you can double jump and glide over his axe 100% of the time. Look out for his teleports also while he is zoning, if you ever feel like a teleport is coming just stand still and react to it with a 123. If he teleported next to you he will get full combo punished, if he teleported far away from you Batman will just whiff a 12 which isn't too bad. I don't believe Ares can whiff punish your 12 from that far away.

You can react to alot of Ares mixups. Alot of Ares will try to mix-up his low sword and overhead MB dark energy, for example they might do 112~low sword or 112~MB dark energy. Just block low until you see him pull his hands back, then you know he is going to shoot a dark energy then block high. You can also interrupt alot of his pressure with trait. If he does d1~sword you can interrupt with 123 and make him waste his trait sometimes.

An important thing is DON'T fall for godsmack gimicks. There is not string of Ares that has enough block advantage or hit advantage to grant a free godsmack. You can always react to the godsmack and jump out. There are no hard knockdowns that guarantee a free godsmack, you can always wakeup out of them

Bane 5-5 (debatable 6-4)
As long as Batman stays on his feet and away from Bane he wins, but once Bane gets a single knockdown..... Your entire life bar can be gone. Especially once he gets you in the corner, then it's ggs. Having some of the worst wakeups in the game gives Bane a HUGE adavantage when he finally gets in on you.

When he has venom up you have to be scared to be near him, ever. He can armor out of all your frame traps, and if he does a safe attack (for example Double Punch, -5 on block) on block and you try to go in for pressure, he can armor out of it. Basically you wanna play the zoning/keepaway game as much as possible against this character.

Batman does have saving graces in this matchup, for example he can parry in between Bane's d1~double punch and other things. But for the most part you want to utilize your trait and batarangs to keep him at bay until he is on cooldown from his trait, that is when you want to go in and do work. Batman's b23 is also a really good tool for punishing Bane's forward dashes and at the same time be able to run away and continue zoning. An important thing to remember is Bane's jump is very slow and floaty so sometimes you can react to his jump-ins and easily punish with trait to b3

Batgirl 5-5
Batman can zone her out pretty well with batarangs and trait. If you ever throw a batarang and she goes for her teleport to try to punish you, you can just MB the batarang so Batman recovers instantly then block the teleport for a full combo punish vs Batgirl. I still cannot give this matchup in Batman's favor because Batgirl's vortex is just an extremely good tool, so all she has to do is get in once and it can be ggs. Her corner-carry game is excellent and her corner damage itself is really good. I can't even tell you how many times I've played young SonicFox and had a huge lifelead on him, only for him to hit me with one lucky read and vortex my life away..

Batman 5-5
This matchup is pretty even, unless it's my Batman vs another one. Then it's probably 7-3 or sometimes a hard 6-4 in whichever Batman I'm usings favor. You can try to zone me out with batarangs and trait, but my rushdown is too good so eventually I'll play patient and get in. My zoning is probably better than yours anyways so if I felt like chillin and sitting back I could beat you in a zoning war as well. Honestly zoning is one of your best bets, because my knowledge of Batman's frame data and rushdown up close proves to be too much at times and I overwhelm other Batmen in the close range fight. My defense is also too good and no Batman will ever open me up, I know Batman too well and block all his mixups on reaction so have a fun time trying to open up this fortress. But I can probably open you up though. My j2's are stronger than yours, I will win the trade off majority of the time in the air to air. I guess your best possible option would be to put your controller down on the floor like some people do against me, because they know they don't really have a chance and they don't want to prolong their suffering. I've never lost in this mirror match in a tournament set or money match and I don't ever plan on it, but whoever feels like trying to end that streak is more than welcome to do so. In the words of Batman, whomever lost to me and wants to rematch me can "TRY AGAIN"

Cyborg 6-4
Cyborg's zoning can be annoying and tedious but he is not that great of a character up close, so when Batman eventually gets in he can give him alot of trouble. Batman's crouching hitbox is alot lower than many other characters in the cast and forward dash is pretty decent, which helps when you are trying to bypass zoning. If the Cyborg player has his IANB on point really well Batman has to walk crouch walk crouch walk crouch, but eventually Cyborg will get cornered. Nobody zones perfectly all the time though so Batman can actually forward dash to move under many air projectiles.

When Cyborg does finally get cornered he can grapple hook out which can suck or he can get you into the corner where he excels, but overall I don't see too much of a problem for Bats in this matchup.

Black Adam 6-4
Batman controls the pace in the mu, Black Adam cannot really zone because Batman can threat a punish for a black magic or lightning bolt by calling out trait and walking forward n letting go if he sees either of them. Also it's hard to anti-air Batman with Adams d2 for instance Batman can do 12 on block then jump in for free best bet is probably an air to air jump 1 but then that's also a risk. Batman simply controls the pace with his trait and Adam honestly just has to wait and be patient alot.

Catwoman 5-5
This is honestly one of my least played matchups of all, possibly my very least played. So it's hard for me to give an explanation for this matchup but I'll try, and might edit this eventually and put more in. Batman can zone her out decently but her MB catdash eats up batarangs and trait with its two hits of armor so you have to be careful. Play very patiently with trait out and punish anything possible with it such as low whip, whiffed catdash etc. It's really scary when Catwomen gets in because her mixups and her normals outreach Batman's. Also Catwomen has an annoying low hitbox that makes alot of Batman normals whiff over her head for example B1(1)2 or 11(2).

If Catwomen scores a knockdown she can possibly take your whole life away because she can come mix you up and all her combos end in a hard knockdown. Batman's wakeups are terrible so waking up with slide is very risky, Catwomen will lose a couple percent for eating a slide but will score 30% into a hard knockdown if she guesses correctly and make Batman guess again

Deathstroke 5-5
Pretty fun matchup. Deathstroke wins the zoning war, but it isn't too hard for Batman to get in. Batman wins upclose but not by much. Deathstroke has better mixups and deadlier corner game but Batman has better mobility and controls the upclose fight more. When Deathstroke gets you in the corner it can be hell with b2/b1 mixups into vortex, and Batman's wakeups are pretty ass. But actually when Deathstroke starts trying to mix you up with crossover f3 you can just starting reacting to the f3 with wakeup parry. Batman can't jump at Deathstroke too much because his d2 actually beat's Batman's j2 clean alot of the time. Pretty even, I might have more to say on this matchup later after I grind it out more.

Doomsday 6-4
The only time this matchup is bad is when Doomsday knocks you down or Doomsday gets you into the corner. But besides that Batman has the upperhand. You can't really jump at Doomsday at all because of that air grab, but by releasing trait bats you might get a couple safe jumps every now and again. One of the most important things you need to be able to do in this matchup is block Earthshaker consistently, at least like 80% of the time or more. Every time Doomsday hits you with an Earthshaker it gives him free pressure and oki, which is not what you want at all. But you also have to keep in mind that Earthshaker is only -1 on block so blocking it really doesn't guarantee you anything, except maybe release bats and safe j2.

In this matchup I like to play the neutral game, like right outside of Doomsday's d1 range. You can react to shoulder charges with parry and anti air his jump attacks with up-batarang, trait bat, b3 for a decent combo. Being right next to Doomsday right in his face isn't bad either, it's just hard to get to that area because Doomsday's normals outrange yours and his grab stops you from jumping. But if you can get in his face and pressure him your golden. Also after blocking Doomsday's MB shoulder, the cape parry can be used to beat out Doomsday's d1. After doing this once or twice that will make the Doomsday player think twice about mashing d1 after MB shoulder, which now gives Batman more options.

Another important thing you have to understand in this matchup is how to negate Doomsdays trait. If Doomsday traits up anywhere near you, I suggest you immediately rush him down with your pressure in the start-up frames of his trait activation. J2, 112~MB batarang, b3, b23 is a really long blockstring and Doomsday has to block all of it. After blocking all this Doomsday's trait is almost over. If you have any trait in your stock you can cancel the b23 into summon bats, so you that you can additionally use you bats to keep Doomsday at bay until his trait is over. B23 is a really good string against Doomsday because it fucks up his trait's hyper armor and puts him in hit stun for a long duration, making time waste for his trait to go away. Even when Doomsday doesn't have trait b23 is an amazing string against him because after Doomsday blocks b23, Batman is at the perfect distance to react to shoulder charges with parry and react to jump ins with up-batarang.

As long as the Dark Knight plays this matchup patiently and blocks most Earthshakers, keeps Doomsday in check with parrys, and utilizes long uninteruptable block strings when Doomsday has trait up, Batman should come out on top.

Flash 5-5
I feel like this is one of those matchups that Batman wants to run away as much possible the whole match. Flash is too powerful up close, and he also has an amazing anti air in d2 which beats Batman's j2 clean every single time. Batman's wake-ups are so bad and Flash's oki is so good that you NEVER want this character to knock you down, especially in the corner. His damage output is alot higher than Batman's and mixups are alot better as well.

As strong as Flash is up close, Batman always has answer for everything. I think zoning is Batman's saving grace in this matchup. If you have mechanical bats out and you are zoning Flash with batarangs, he is going to be scared to dash in because at any time you can release your bat traits after Flash blocked your batarang. If the Flash player decided to dash forward after blocking a batarang and you just so happened to decide to release your bats after he blocked the batarang, you will achieve a full combo punish on Flash. Yes it's true he can just shake all your batarangs so they go through him, but than if he does that he is just staying in one spot and not advancing towards you at all, which is what Batman wants (unless Flash has the life lead and time is running out.) So basically Flash is just walking towards you blocking batarangs, having to guess after blocking each batarang if you are going to release bats or not. Throw in a couple up-batarangs every now and again and you should be keeping Flash at bay for while. If you don't have your trait bats out though Flash can easily block dash your zoning and get from full screen to in your face in just 2 seconds

Another tool that is very nice for Batman in this matchup is his cape parry. I feel like his cape parry is being under-utilized. Yes it is very unsafe, but it keeps the Flash player on his toes and keeps him from doing very habitual things. You can parry ALL of Flash's special moves, which is pretty big. If you have that last speck of life and you know he is going to lighting charge at you from full screen, BAM. Cape Parry.

Alot of Flash players like to do cross-over mixups with their sonic pound. For example B22~far sonic pound on block might cross up, while B22~close sonic pound won't cross up. This can be a problem because Flash is capable of getting 60% combos off of his sonic pound with trait, and there is no way of knowing if the Flash is going to cross up or not; you cannot react to it. BUT, you can react to the sonic pound itself, and use your cape parry in the middle of their blockstring so you don't even have to guess the crossover or not. So for example if Flash uses B22 and you block it, then you see them cancel their b22 into a sonic pound and your like "oh shit, is this going to cross over not cross over? :eek:" Well guess what it doesn't matter, just activate cape parry after blocking Flash's B22 and it doesn't matter if the sonicpound crosses over or not, Flash's ankle is getting snapped.

Green Lantern 4-6
I used to think this was a 5-5, but GL with that b1 is just a footsie monster. He wins the range game for sure. He probably wins the zoning war as well because rockets travel faster than batarangs AND take out more damage. Batman has the advantage when he is right in GL's face, but it's hard to get there. GL's d2 is amazing for negating j2 and keeping Batman out of the air. GL's j1 also beats Batman's j2 90% of the time. Green Lanturn's wakeups are pretty bad so if you knock him down you can put some work in, but still Batman's wakeups are even worse. GL's mixups and hard knockdown pressure is better, but Batman's mobility is better. Their damage output is about equal

Green Arrow 6-4
So here is some stuff about green arrow for now. In my opinion Batman wins the upclose rushdown game pretty bad, the zoning war is like a 5-5 if they are using fire arrows. Arrow really cannot keep out Batman for long, trait-bats are just tooo good of a tool for helping Batman get in. If ga doesn't have any trait-arrows loaded than releasing bats and dashing in pretty gets you in for free every single time, and up close all your strings are faster than his. His mixups may be tough at first but once you fight green arrow enough you start reacting to his mixups he basically sucks ass. His f2d13 string is only good for so long. If green arrow tries to mix up F2d13 and f21~low arrow, the overhead (3) is alot faster than the low arrow. You can react to the low arrow in a block string. So after fighting green arrow enough you should be able to block his f2d1 low, than block his 3 high and if he shoots a low arrow instead of 3, than you just react and block low. If he goes to shoot a jump overhead arrow you should be able to react to that too and block high. So essentially once you get used to green arrow, he should NEVER be able to open you up with a 50/50 ever. So if you just keep rushing him down and blocking all his mixups, your going to end up winning. And if you have the life lead you can just sit full screen and trade his fire arrows with your batarangs and trait bats and MBbatarangs

Harley 5-5
Basically what will make this match hard for your "typical Batman" is that Batman is forced to play very patient due to the strong nature of Harley's zoning game. Your "typical Batman" who thinks they can just trait up & rush in without a logical approach will easily crumble at the feet of a good Harley (evil laugh). What also makes just rushing in like the "typical Batman" tough is that since Harley will spend most of this fight shooting & throwing cupcakes at you she will almost always have meter to just PUSHBLOCK you away in the event you get in or have Bats at your disposal.

From full screen Harley has the edge in zoning & will easily beat out any Batarang zoning since I will hit him with my gunshot & still have time to block or even avoid the Batarang all together. Now Batman however can easily avoid MB Cupcakes due to his double jump (I still like to use em so you end up full screen anyway). Basically Batman will have to make reads on my zoning & maneuver his way through an obstacle course to get in but it is not all hopeless as it seems.

Excellent Bat management & usage is super key on making your approach. You can use the Bats to cover your approach to make it to me safely but you must be smart about it otherwise Nimble & Small Harley Quinn will just make the Bats miss by either overhead gunshots or crouch under them (from a certain range). Now when it comes to Jumping in on Harley.

Your "typical Batman" loves his J2 & abuses it like it's the greatest thing on God's green earth. In an air to air exchange Harley's J1 will crush Batman's J2 every time unless you pull J2 SO EARLY that your making a read on my air to air (which if you guess wrong prepare to eat a B22 to a full combo punish). You want to use J1 for air to air vs Harley & mix in the Glitter when you jump so that way you can trick her from time to time.

In a ground spacing battle with normals Harley will out range Batman due to her B2 but you can use it against her & jump in if you think she will use it since her recovery on whiff from B2 is bad. Batman can also easily punish Tantrum Stance 1 with his Standing 1 combo starter to whatever it is you wanna do.

Hawkgirl 5-5

Joker 6-4

Killer Frost 5-5

Lex Luthor 5-5

Lobo 5-5

Martian ManHunter 4-6

Nightwing 5-5

Raven 5-5

Scorp 6-4

Shazam 6-4
This matchup can actually be very tough if played up close and personal, this is another match Batman is meant to zone in. Shazam has combos that end in Achilles Clutch which puts Batman in a hard knockdown state, and if Shazam immediately times a Herculean Might as Batman is standing up...........

I'll finish this when I get back on

Sinestro 6-4
I have played this matchup a thousand times with playin2win. It's all about patience. Sinestro wins the zoning game obviously but you need to be patient and get in. Being impatient and dashing in randomly will make you eat fear blasts and lose your trait and push you even farther away from Sinestro thus helping his zoning.

Batman has a really good thing going for him in this matchup, which is his low crouching hitbox that makes Sinestro's fear blasts whiff over your head from about 3/4's of the screen away. Most characters need to be like 1/2 of the screen away to make fear blasts whiff over their head. What I like to do to get in is call out bats and slowly inch closer and closer to Sinestro, crouching all his fear blasts so they go over your head and not standing up too soon so just in case he delayed MB fear blasts they will whiff as well.

Once you get to a close enough range (about a dash distance away) Sinestro has to be scared of zoning at all because all of his zoning tools can be punished by trait-bats at that distance. So there is your time to go in and do some damage.

When playing footsies with Sinestro remember that his b12 is -5, so if you have trait-bats out you can punish it but if you don't you get free pressure. If you block b13 you get a full combo punish on Sinestro with standing 1. Even if he tries to cancel his b13 into arachnid, our standing jab is fast enough to hit him in between b13()arachnid. You can't jump much at Sinestro with his good uppercut unless you launch some bats at him first to make a safe jump. Sinestro has pretty bad wake-ups as well which can be used to our advantage. The only time I feel like Sinestro is a huge problem is when he has his trait out

Solomon Grundy 6-4

Superman 5-5

WonderWoman 5-5
This is definitely a very even matchup. Batman wins the zoning war and honestly this is another character Batman should just be zoning as much as possible nonstop. But WoWo wins up close with her deadly damage output and corner game. Her mixups are much better than Batman's and she never has to use meter. Her mobility is very good and she can hit Batman with tiaras from far away just to get rid of his trait. When she scores a knockdown on Batman she can go ham because her oki is amazing and Batman's wakeups are booty cheeks. She has a low hitbox that makes all of Batman strings whiff over her head and she can full combo punish with like 40%. Her d3 lowers her hitbox even more to avoid batarangs and other things. Batman is alot faster up close with normals tho and can antiair her floaty jumps alot with up-batarang into trait into combo.
I've known this for a while but I always forget about it and never use it in actual matches, but Batman has a very useful option select vs Wonder Woman's b2~lasso. If you have trait bats out and WW approaches you and tries to play footsies with b2~lasso, you can block the b2; hold down and mash 4. What this does is an option select. If the WW does b23, the mechanical bats won't come out and Batman blocks the string. If the WW did b2~lasso instead Batman will block the b2, while ducking the lasso and release bats to achieve a full combo punish on WW

Zatanna 5-5
I've played this matchup with Deg kind of alot. We usually go back and forth, literally. All of all sets end up being like 15-14, 10-9, 20-20, or something like that by the time we're done. So that's why I put it as 5-5. Zatanna can zone out Batman pretty decently and her trait can be really annoying for Batman when she's full screen. But Batman starts rushing her down and gets past her zoning it's fairly easy for him to just pressure her all day up close. Her upclose footsie game is really weak compared to his. Zatanna's gameplan is basically to zone Batman out until she gets some kind of vortex attempt, Batman's gameplan is to rush rush rush get in unless she uses her trait, then you kind of have to sit back and try to hit her with batarangs or trait-bats to try to get rid of her trait

Zod 4-6
Zod can run away like a pussy the whole match, there is no reason for Zod to ever even approach Batman. He forces Batman to rush him down constantly and make impatient mistakes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alot of these explanations need to be fixed or improved or started on and I plan on getting them done eventually. Discuss

Winning matchups: 10
Even matchups: 16
Losing matchups: 4

Last edited:
I'd like to hear why you think Batman-Raven is 5-5. I think it's 6-4 Raven advantage.
This has actually been quite a discussion in our PM. A couple of us believe its 5-5 and some believe its 4-6 for batman. We understand that we can NOT cross up raven at all as long as she is walking back. Raven pretty much dominates the zoning war and forces batman not to make any reckless dashes but batman has a decent walk speed and will be in your face before you know it and you will be cornered where batman excels at (unless you have trait and you teleport but we have ways around that too). When you are corned pretty much all we need to do is stay at least midscreen distance and lock you down with batarangs and trait. Also, if a batman player makes a read as to where pillars are going to be placed we can just dash to avoid it, release bat and confirm with grapple. Then at that point you are either gonna be put in a reset state or a knockdown and raven has ass wake ups. I'm still a firm believer in 5-5 but that's just my opinion and sorry if i can't really explain some MU's well b/c i suck at explaining MUs lol

OG Mannimal

OG "OG Mannimal" Mannimal
This has actually been quite a discussion in our PM. A couple of us believe its 5-5 and some believe its 4-6 for batman. We understand that we can NOT cross up raven at all as long as she is walking back. Raven pretty much dominates the zoning war and forces batman not to make any reckless dashes but batman has a decent walk speed and will be in your face before you know it and you will be cornered where batman excels at (unless you have trait and you teleport but we have ways around that too). When you are corned pretty much all we need to do is stay at least midscreen distance and lock you down with batarangs and trait. Also, if a batman player makes a read as to where pillars are going to be placed we can just dash to avoid it, release bat and confirm with grapple. Then at that point you are either gonna be put in a reset state or a knockdown and raven has ass wake ups. I'm still a firm believer in 5-5 but that's just my opinion and sorry if i can't really explain some MU's well b/c i suck at explaining MUs lol
You mentioned walk speed but if you're walking forward you cannot react to soul crush. Also Raven not having wakeups doesn't really matter because there is virtually no way for Raven to get hit by Batman on knockdown with his lacking mixups. I can just block on wakeup lol.

The way I see it you have only one way to approach us safely, mb batarangs. Release bats dash can be punished easily by d1 lift. I just don't see how I'm getting hit in this MU. My j2 beats out your j2 all the time. I outfootsie you, outzone you, and outdamage you. I don't see how this MU could be even. Sure you could make a read and grapple me, but even then, what do you do after? You can't reset me because you've already hit me with the grapple, the neutral just goes back to square one. I'm sure my open could be swayed but I just don't see it.

You mentioned walk speed but if you're walking forward you cannot react to soul crush. Also Raven not having wakeups doesn't really matter because there is virtually no way for Raven to get hit by Batman on knockdown with his lacking mixups. I can just block on wakeup lol.

The way I see it you have only one way to approach us safely, mb batarangs. Release bats dash can be punished easily by d1 lift. I just don't see how I'm getting hit in this MU. My j2 beats out your j2 all the time. I outfootsie you, outzone you, and outdamage you. I don't see how this MU could be even. Sure you could make a read and grapple me, but even then, what do you do after? You can't reset me because you've already hit me with the grapple, the neutral just goes back to square one. I'm sure my open could be swayed but I just don't see it.
Mmmmm to each their own then.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
i agree with 5-5 for flash, one thing though is that regular sonic pound crosses up, not far sonic pound. far sonic pound whiffs and is a very good tool if you're trying to bait cape parry since it whiffs and you cape parry you can kiss your life bar goodbye. it also has the benefit of catching your back dash if you try to back dash the close sonic pound. your counter is if you catch me whiffing you can get a punish with b23 if you're fast enough.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
The BG mu isn't the easiest but I agree with 5-5, and I agree with WoWo being 5-5 too

Mr Aquaman

Noob
Lead Moderator
Great chart and great analysis king, ill later give some more input on the mu but yeah just dont let ares breathe cause he becomes even when he can. Ares d1 goes under bats and it can even make j2 whiff. Something I am still experimenting with.