What's new

Match-up Discussion Batman Match-Up Discussion

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
From my matchup experience I had last night at VSM I can give a few pointers that I've noticed.

- Aquaman IMO might be in Batmans favor slightly. You can escape most of his pressure by back dashing and if you have bats release and punish because he has a lot of recovery on most whiffed projectiles. You can full combo him from full screen if you have bats out and release them on reaction to his Trident followed up by a ex grapple. His "from the deep" is very similar to freddys ground spike so once you block one you can do a few things, send out a batarang/ get your trait out/ dash forward to close distance/ check him with grapple. This is a very turtle based matchup, if you rush him down you will lose lol.

-Grundy is wacky lol. Avoid jumping at him because his AA uppercut is one of the better in the game and leads to some very good damage. f23 messes with his grab since you become airbone so he takes the damage and you don't get grabbed, so if you see it coming just check him with it, or you can NJ2 for full combo. His ex zombie grab can pretty much guarentee a full combo from just about full screen so be sure to be blocking low A LOT. Very similar to Aquamans from the deep, on block you have the same options available to you.

- Green Lantern is a character you never want to let breathe pretty much. Unless you have Bats he can check you with his lift from almost anywhere but point blank but typically I find when people see you have bats they just run away and go into crazy zoning mode. If you find the pattern and catch him going for an Air missle be sure to punish him with b2 EX sky hook before he hits the ground, he instantly recovers so you can't wait for him to touch the ground and b2 ex sky hook leads to 35%. My typical combo enders on GL are f23 so I'm right on top of him on wake up.

- Deathstroke can't get away with all his crazy shit vs us. While yes its still tough to get in you just have to be patient. Ducking and releasing bats works wonders vs instant air shots as he has to block or hes getting full comboed into ex grapple, so he can't go all gun happy. When you block a low you can dash in and block low again to cover space. Try to avoid jumping because that shit is just going to send you back full screen to restart the process. If you see him go for his trait, release bats instantly and dash in. Thats all I got for now.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
One of the things that is personally bothering me is it seems so many characters have moves that they can just abuse vs Batman if he doesn't have bats out. IE green lanterns lift - shazams superman - flashs superman (sorry i dont know the official move names yet). Sometimes 113 punishes both Shazams and flashes, sometimes they don't reach and since the first 1 can be ducked if it whiffs you just get poked into a combo..... As a Reptile player it just annoys me. I went from playing a character who had great reach but the slowest normals but was able to punish pretty much everything with his dash and now I have a 6 frame normal and I can't even use it and can constantly be checked with unsafe moves from almost any distance but point blank. While Batmans trait is very good its going to get very frustrating since I feel like the strat vs him is to see bats = run away, no bats = pressure the shit out of him. The bat rotation is critical to his gameplay.

Lab sessions must needed lol

YOMI Reno_Racks

I have a dream...
One of the things that is personally bothering me is it seems so many characters have moves that they can just abuse vs Batman if he doesn't have bats out. IE green lanterns lift - shazams superman - flashs superman (sorry i dont know the official move names yet). Sometimes 113 punishes both Shazams and flashes, sometimes they don't reach and since the first 1 can be ducked if it whiffs you just get poked into a combo..... As a Reptile player it just annoys me. I went from playing a character who had great reach but the slowest normals but was able to punish pretty much everything with his dash and now I have a 6 frame normal and I can't even use it and can constantly be checked with unsafe moves from almost any distance but point blank. While Batmans trait is very good its going to get very frustrating since I feel like the strat vs him is to see bats = run away, no bats = pressure the shit out of him. The bat rotation is critical to his gameplay.

Lab sessions must needed lol
You should play catwoman if you like to be able to punish things like Green Lantern's lift ect. Her dash can punish and combos. It's a dream come true for a reptile player. Not to mention she has top speed normals and good mixups.

dust.

Noob
Any advice against Nightwing? Having a hard time against the air wingdings or whatever those shits are called lol. Can't really zone him out either or outpoke him it seems.

Lime

Noob
How do I beat doomsday? As soon as he rushes me into the corner its pretty much GG

My biggest problem is that tracking move where he jumps up and splashes you - doomsdays just spam this on me all day
If he burns the meter is there any way to avoid it?

How do I beat doomsday? As soon as he rushes me into the corner its pretty much GG

My biggest problem is that tracking move where he jumps up and splashes you - doomsdays just spam this on me all day
best thing i have found is to meter burn a back 3 as soon as he dives in the air. you will armor the hit then ground bounce him for a good combo. if his trait is active he will not be bounced. but atleast it makes him play somewhat honest.

Adam Todd

Ana-R-chY
There's three matchups which have been giving me trouble so far, Aquaman, Catwoman and Deathstroke. I know you gotta play patiently against Deathstroke and use the Bats but it seemed like any time I'd summon them, I'd get shot out. Aquaman, I just gotta get used to all his high/low mixups but any other advice would help. And I have no idea how to get Catwoman off me lol also what's up with her full screen punishes? I haven't had much time against Catwoman yet.

blues686

Black lantern
I really seem go have trouble in the nightwing match up.. It seems his pokes straight up out beats batman even his air to air kick beats batmAns aerial attacks, anytips?

Adam Todd

Ana-R-chY
I really seem go have trouble in the nightwing match up.. It seems his pokes straight up out beats batman even his air to air kick beats batmAns aerial attacks, anytips?
Abuse the bats, play a mid-long range game with him that should frustrate the Nightwing into playing dumb, then rush in for those damaging combos.

Adam Todd

Ana-R-chY

The best way I've been avoiding that move is by simply dashing as fast I can towards his direction, then punish with a j.2 or a grapple depending on how far I got from the dashing.

Reptile Orion

A Fire Will Rise.
Solid info. It seems Batman matches up well against many of the characters. I've mainly gone up against Deathstroke, the Flash, Green Lantern, Sinestro, and Superman when playing online. I personally utilize a rush down style switching between high and low combos. I love Batman's dash speed and countering with Stay Down. His zoning isn't the greatest but it gets the job done if your put into that situation. Batman's cape parry also helps to keep opponents on their toes.

Adam Todd

Ana-R-chY
How should Bats go about the Grundy matchup?
I believe his batarangs beat his armor moves, I know they beat all of Bane's armor even at level 3 venom. Be careful with jump ins because of his AA grab but you could try faking a jump in with his scatter bombs. Scatter bombs feel under rated imo, they cause a nice hard knockdown which lets you set up pressure and it beats a good amount of air normals. You can also use the scatter bombs to delay your landing if your afraid of those hands from the earth Grundy summons. Hope this helps

Adam Todd

Ana-R-chY
Solid info. It seems Batman matches up well against many of the characters. I've mainly gone up against Deathstroke, the Flash, Green Lantern, Sinestro, and Superman when playing online. I personally utilize a rush down style switching between high and low combos. I love Batman's dash speed and countering with Stay Down. His zoning isn't the greatness but it gets the job done if your put into that situation. Batman's cape parry also helps to keep opponents on their toes.
So far, my biggest challenges online have been Catwoman, Superman and Green lanterns. The only reason I saw Superman is a problem though is if they pick a stage where they can throw stage hazards at you non-stop, ( Ferris Air, Watchtower, Hall of Justice Plaza, etc.), if not just predict when's gonna go in the air and be careful of his wake up upper cut/grab. With GL, you gotta get used to his block strings and punish any lantern's might he throws out, it's a fairly unsafe move and most GLs love to spam it lol. Catwoman's the matchup I quite haven't figured out and her Cat Dash MB is a damn fullscreen punish to almost everything you did at a distance.

Reptile Orion

A Fire Will Rise.
Great post Adam Todd. I need to start incorpating more of the scatter bombs into my game. I mainly use the grapple hook in combos. It seems like its a risky move to use in the heat of battle in the case its blocked. Any other ideas or suggestion to use it during a match outside of combos?

Adam Todd

Ana-R-chY
Great post Adam Todd. I need to start incorpating more of the scatter bombs into my game. I mainly use the grapple hook in combos. It seems like its a risky move to use in the heat of battle in the case its blocked. Any other ideas or suggestion to use it during a match outside of combos?
Thanks, I hope to be a regular voice here in the Batman threads. The only time I really use it outside of combos is if I have summon my bats out and they get a hit, I use the MB grapple for a free combo. Or sometimes I might throw the grapple out, with Bats still on, then if they block and try to punish it I release the bats at them. For the sky grapple as an anti-air, I prefer to use the up aiming Batarang and meter burn it for a combo.

Reptile Orion

A Fire Will Rise.
Thanks, I hope to be a regular voice here in the Batman threads. The only time I really use it outside of combos is if I have summon my bats out and they get a hit, I use the MB grapple for a free combo. Or sometimes I might throw the grapple out, with Bats still on, then if they block and try to punish it I release the bats at them. For the sky grapple as an anti-air, I prefer to use the up aiming Batarang and meter burn it for a combo.
I like your strategy about throwing the grapple out with the Bats still on as protection in the case its blocked. I'd like to play against you online if your on Xbox 360. Welcome to the boards. I'm fairly new as well but its a great community here.