What's new

Breakthrough Batman 25/25/25/25 set-up in corner after MB grapple

Vocket

Day 1 Phenomenal Teth-Adam Player
The setup is actually only an extra 50/50 if you fail an initial 50/50 (not sure what that means probability wise) and it is character specific.

With the bad news out the way lets go into the good news. The way you start this set-up is to end any combo in MB grapple in the corner. Height does not matter much, you only need to have enough hit stun such that NJ2 will combo after grapple.

The way it works is like this:
After doing a MB grapple immediately do a NJ2; hit as deep as possible so as to get as much hitstun as possible. Then forward jump right after and either do a cross-up J3 or a forward hitting J3. After the J3 you can now do instant J2 or b1. That's it.

Why J3 and not J2? Stop right there bub I'll tell you now. J2 is less ambiguous than J3, and it provides less block advantage than J3 so the set-up outright does not work. J3 is also cooler so there is that.

The first 50/50 comes from the J3 hitting in front or in the back. Timed right it becomes nearly impossible to distinguish as inputting J3 a tiny bit later will change how it hits. You must hit the J3 as deep as possible too to get the most block advantage. If the J3 hits, continue into a combo, possibly into MB grapple again.

Otherwise, the second 50/50 mix-up begins. If the J3 was deep enough the opponent will be unable to duck the follow-up instant J2. The J2 is avoidable by backdashing, and is punishable if the opponent blocks it. If you want to get tricky you can do J2~sparkles and it is safe it done very low to the ground. This covers the overhead option.

For the low option if you hit J3 from the back or as a cross-up b1 will be a true link and they can't do anything but block. If you hit J3 from the front it has less advantage since it was less deep so they can backdash the b1. This does not matter as b113 will catch the opponent backdashing and they cannot jump at all. The low option is safe as you can choose to end the b11 in any way if you hit confirm it.

Anyways, here are the videos that you skipped to instead of reading the wall of text above:
I use 112~MB grapple as the combo starter, obviously you can choose many different ones and end them differently, but I am not a batman main so no. Watch in 720p. I put every ad possible because I want that Wayne.

J3 hits back overhead option
Aquaman tries to duck but still gets hit, and then tries to backdash and successfully gets out.

J3 hits back low option
Aquaman tries to backdash and jump back and fails on both occasions.

J3 hits front low option
Aquaman tries to backdash but gets hit mid dash, then tries to jump out and still gets hit.

J3 hits front overhead option
Aquaman tries to duck but still gets hit, and then tries to backdash and successfully gets out and punishes batman.

If you remember at the very beginning I said it was character specific and that was because I could not get instant J2 to land on Batgirl. I did get it to hit on Flash who is fairly short so I'm certain it hits most of the midget characters rather than none. I don't use this character so you Bruce mains probably know better than me, characters who get hit by J2 after the 22 reset get hit by this set-up.

@DarthArma
@FOREVER KING
@HomeLee1121
@AK Reno_Racks
@NB Semi Evil Ryu
@AK/RM GamerBlake

Last edited:

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
i dunno....some of this doesnt really seem worth it, especially the instant air jump 2.

and what do u mean by 22 reset?

Vocket

i dunno....some of this doesnt really seem worth it, especially the instant air jump 2.

and what do u mean by 22 reset?
I mean the old 22 reset which is doing MB grapple then NJ2~22. This leaves the opponent staggering and batman at advantage. On large characters you can then do instant J2 or b11 as a 50/50. That 50/50 only worked on large and tall characters as the J2 whiffs on the rest.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
You could even add in a throw option to make this a 20-20-20-20-20 mixup. (or jumpover throw, to divide 100 by six?)

Yo, Vocket, are you a part of the Buffalo FGC on facebook?
Saw your internet signature, might as well notify you of the existence of this 241 member group.
Turns out, the FGC is more than alive here.
Game Space at The Golf Dome. Injustice Revival? I'll be bringing 12 dudes there bi-weekly by fall, and am checking the place out soon.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/310407555645897/

Vocket

You could even add in a throw option to make this a 20-20-20-20-20 mixup. (or jumpover throw, to divide 100 by six?)

Yo, Vocket, are you a part of the Buffalo FGC on facebook?
Saw your internet signature, might as well notify you of the existence of this 241 member group.
Turns out, the FGC is more than alive here.
Game Space at The Golf Dome. Injustice Revival? I'll be bringing 12 dudes there bi-weekly by fall, and am checking the place out soon.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/310407555645897/
Hey KillaByte, it has been quite a while since I talked to you. Unfortunately I live nowhere near you and don't have a clue about your injustice scene. My signature only displays your information, not mine, and it does so by looking at your IP address and browser ID. Seems like fun to be in the Buffalo FGC, wish I could be there.

I should really just change the signature, seemed like a fun trick to do or a way to raise awareness about privacy but I just get PM's about people wanting to get into my pants (not really).

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Hey KillaByte, it has been quite a while since I talked to you. Unfortunately I live nowhere near you and don't have a clue about your injustice scene. My signature only displays your information, not mine, and it does so by looking at your IP address and browser ID. Seems like fun to be in the Buffalo FGC, wish I could be there.

I should really just change the signature, seemed like a fun trick to do or a way to raise awareness about privacy but I just get PM's about people wanting to get into my pants (not really).
I have goofed.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Is this only for the corner?

I am stealing THE HELL out of this stuff.

Vocket

Is this only for the corner?

I am stealing THE HELL out of this stuff.
Midscreen the J3 pushes too far for the instant NJ2 to hit, especially when J3 hits from the front. If J3 hits from the back then against Lex and MMH you can do forward J2 and it will hit. It is really tight timing though, still makes it a 33/33/33.

EDIT: You can also do the set-up midscreen a super deep J2, but when done that deep it becomes easier to see from which side batman hits from.

Last edited:

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
i was waiting to see how long it would take other chars with moves like MB spear to start doing this in the corner.
scorps has been raping poor cornered souls with his own nj2 starter setup for a while now. :)

welcome to the party batman players, there's good times to be had...but not for your opponents life bar :tonyt

I use this sometimes in the corner. I Think this is a very good setup to add to a Batmain arsenal of tools in the corner. A j3 will leave you very plus on block as opposed to a j2. Now if the opponent blocks correctly on the j3 I don't think an instant j2 would be in your favor to do. It's probably best to do a string since the j3 on block leaves you very plus. I would do this j2, j3 string only after a big combo that ends in straight grapple. Because a j2 112 sg mb can get you a combo of 40%+ in the corner. Also I would like to add that you can use this midscreen. I do a combo that ends in straight grapple mb and then nj2 and then do a cross up jumping 3 combo for about 31% with no meter and like 44% with a mb combo . The whole setup is 2 bars but if you get a 39% combo into a 44% that is 83% setup which is pretty BEAST dmg lol. But that is if they fall for it.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
While I have never seen this before and the J3 jump in looks very good and ambiguous, I don't understand what the IA J2 is supposed to accomplish. Even if the opponent gets hit, can Batman follow up with a full combo?