What's new

Basically what Shao Kahn is reduced to doing since his strings are bad.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
but yeah kahn needs some work, better variation's, better cancellable strings, strings like 121+3 don't combo on an airborn opponent. his KB's are all pretty unlikely aside from the universal d2 etc, this all needs to be changed.

ty lewis

Noob
The thing that Shao Kahn needs is a reliable mid string that is special cancelable. Him only having one mid string that isn't special cancelable makes all of his strings practically useless.

The only time your using a string is gonna be to punish an unsafe move with 12 or standing 4. Otherwise your just gonna be poking, throwing and over-relying on his plus frame moves to deal pressure.

ty lewis

Noob
"And that concludes the SK tutorial. You are now ready to go to EVO and body everyone."
Basically. Just spam B4, F4, and throw. As that's literally all he can do for pressure. If they keep blocking low then do a couple hop overheads.

B4 sweep having huge range, -2 on block and gives you 28 frame advantage which you need for the F4 to come out. Which is +6 on block. So you can do anything to them.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Basically. Just spam B4, F4, and throw. As that's literally all he can do for pressure. If they keep blocking low then do a couple hop overheads.

B4 sweep having huge range, -2 on block and gives you 28 frame advantage which you need for the F4 to come out. Which is +6 on block. So you can do anything to them.
Yeah i know thats pretty much the way i play as well. That and d2. Like i said when the game was released, character is garbage compared to the rest of the cast.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I think his norms are fine tbh I would rather have specials not suck. taunts take too long, priest feels kind of redundant when he already has taunts + priest takes too long, and a lot of his other moves feel like fluff that don't really add to his viability, like the ground pound or the overhead jump. Only specials I use ATM are the seeking wrath hammer and annihilation for the combo ender

like in terms of pure fundamentals I think shao has a really good setup, it just doesn't lead anywhere because of mediocre and obnoxiously slow special moves so you don't really get to have a sick pop-off when you get one up on your opponent, you use good footsies to get a lead and then you just keep doing good footsies until you win

ty lewis

Noob
I think his norms are fine tbh I would rather have specials not suck. taunts take too long, priest feels kind of redundant when he already has taunts + priest takes too long, and a lot of his other moves feel like fluff that don't really add to his viability, like the ground pound or the overhead jump. Only specials I use ATM are the seeking wrath hammer and annihilation for the combo ender

like in terms of pure fundamentals I think shao has a really good setup, it just doesn't lead anywhere because of mediocre and obnoxiously slow special moves so you don't really get to have a sick pop-off when you get one up on your opponent, you use good footsies to get a lead and then you just keep doing good footsies until you win
His normals are bad. Because a huge majority of them hit high and whiff on crouch blocking opponents which make those strings unusable. His specials being bad is just another issue altogether.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I mean all I'm saying is there is someone bodying decent players with the 'worst character in the game' while people here who couldn't even hold a candle to this sub player are crying for Shao Khan buffs a week in. It's pretty silly.
People were doing that with Darkseid and Goro in the previous games. Does that mean the characters were good? If you check the SK forum you ll see why say the things we say.

ty lewis

Noob

You guys are a bunch of whiners.
That Sub-Zero was absolutely terrible. He is literally getting hit from everything because he keeps pressing buttons. Why the fuck was he going for a down jab after landing his F4 Which puts him at +4 on block? He completely wasted his plus frames for a jab.

That Shao Kahn was over using F2 which has a ton of start up, is easily punishable and whiffs on crouch. This is nothing more than a match Where someone doesn't know the matchup and just doesn't block.

BookBurning

Voidwards
People were doing that with Darkseid and Goro in the previous games. Does that mean the characters were good? If you check the SK forum you ll see why say the things we say.
Alot of characters in this game lack reliable safe mid strings and overheads etc. People just don't know how to make a character work for them, all they want is free pressure constantly or stupid 50/50s.

Shao Khan has great range with decent speed on his normals relative for their range for good footsy based play. Maybe if people who play NRS games knew how to space well.

ty lewis

Noob
F3 is a 10 frame confirmable mid on its own. Stop crying and practice your confirms
So Shao Kahn has to be the only character in the game that has to hit confirm off a single hit? Do you understand how risky that is? Your reactions have to be so on point with that shit even when hit confirming off of a standard string.

RYX

BIG PUSHER

You guys are a bunch of whiners.
sub isnt playing this matchup well at all lol, going by your own reasoning we shouldn't take week1 tourney fights too seriously either because there's no way people have learned the game to an important level

there's literally no reason to come in and talk shit about people having a discussion, whether you like how people do it or not, people talking is how people learn from each other and given that we have NO way of putting the entire character in context with every other character in every other variation yet the only thing we can really do is look at our character compared to the most labbed (the current tops) or in a vacuum, and shao kahn in a vacuum really doesn't look pretty

the amount of people who come to a discussion forum to try and shame people for talking or complaining is ridiculous

BookBurning

Voidwards
So Shao Kahn has to be the only character in the game that has to hit confirm off a single hit? Do you understand how risky that is? Your reactions have to be so on point with that shit even when hit confirming off of a standard string.
I hit confirm off of single hits all the time, it's called playing a fighting game. I have to hit off of orbital hat quite alot with Kung Lao and I'm not sitting here bitching about it.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I main EB, Frost, and Kahn. When I switch between say EB and Shao Kahn, the gap in advantage is so severe it's not even funny. I still feel like I can get somewhere, but it's nowhere near the same ballpark. I'm not saying a very good player can't get far in a tourney with Kahn, it's just definitely not going to be as easy.