What's new

Barking Irons Game Plan?

I am at a loss of how to play this variation, tnt toss is slow and I haven’t found any good setups with it, I wish it was replaced with enhanced lock and load. Slide cancel is alright I guess after b2u4 and b222 but I suck at using it otherwise. Please help all I want is to be good at a variation with the command grab.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
just dont use the dynamite unless you ex it at the end of a round. other than that get them blocking do slide cancels then command grabs. thats how i play the variation.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
So I think I found some tech with this variation. I’ll try and record what I have, or at least post a breakdown tomorrow since it’s late. It might not have scud shot or the rifle launcher, but I think I have figured out the game plan for this strange set. It’s very similar to Kabal’s Mean Streak, just with different quirks. I even found an effective use and safe setups for the TNT...

F3 command grab is a legit mix too for that string.

Also any scud cancel can be done with slide cancel but you use resource.

Overall not sure if it's worth it.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Ok so, here's what I found... I have messed with this variation off and on so many time, trying to find anything different.

First and foremost, I will admit right up front that 52 Kard Pickup is the better variation. I'm definitely not arguing that. What I will say is that this variation is very useable and can provide a different kind of pressure that 52KPU does not.

1.) Rattlesnake Slide Cancel
People see the defensive bar cost and already they're already writing it off. I get it, the move may not be as strong as say Scorp's tele cancel and justify an easy bar cost. That doesn't mean it should be overlooked. Its design is to provide an extra layer of mind games to Erron's 50/50 and pressure overall, which can be essential in high level play. Because it is not the same off every normal or string, I only recommend using it for B222 (-4 second hit and -7 third hit) or even B2U4 which is only -3. Also if you do throw the B2U4 and it connects, the slide cancel is going to let you extend your combo into F32 slide amp, acid setup.

2.) Boot Drop Cancel
This... this right here if used correctly is f***ing stupid. Again, like the rattlesnake slide cancel it adds more mind games. For one, it is NOT telegraphed like for example Jade's pole vault. Anyone, even if they are expecting it, can expect a full F4 to be coming out and try to react. So that means a few things, you have them stand blocking, they try to bait it off oki and start waking up more and can even delay, or they move backwards. Imagine this, you start playing off these reactions and do something like F4, cancel, and then the actual F4. Or F4, cancel, dash-throw/string. Not only that but it advances Erron forward rapidly about 4 steps. It's very effective to close the gap and keep pressure intact. That's huge too, since you obviously don't have the scud shot to sit mid or full screen and zap anything out of there.

3.) Cattle Toss
Like many command grabs, this one can be ticked. Here's the thing: You can tick it off F3. Why is that important you ask? Well, F32 happens to be an advancing mid. It's also the one most high level players try to flawless block and launch. You can obviously finish the string and hit confirm into slide anyway. Whatever you do, DO NOT leave the F3 out there if you can since it's -11 on block. Even worse, the rattlesnake cancel is -19 on block from F3 so stay away from that too.

If you don't slide cancel, you have to commit to either the full F32 and hit confirm if possible, or commit to the cattle toss off blocked F3. Good options, just don't overextend yourself and lose your turn or get punished. Again, F32 is flawless blockable but if you catch someone getting greedy you can start conditioning pretty well. Back to the command grab itself, you can tick off pokes too of course. The downside, you can't tick off of anything else except the F3.

You can grab them out of midair if you check someone off oki with a D1 or F3, possibly throwing them back into acid off the amp slide if it's out already. Oh, and you get 26% unbreakable damage from B222 into the amp Cattle Toss... so there's that. (if you land that off of oki into an acid setup that's much juicier unbreakable damage of course)

4.) TNT
This move is basically vilified by most EB players that I've seen. The number one complaint, it hurts him. Okay so let's take a step back and look at this for a second: It's a placeable (meaning you can do short or far) unblockable projectile. We're mad at NRS for making it slow startup "raw" and that it hurts Erron? It SHOULD hurt Erron, it would be broken if it didn't. This move is NOT practical for combos at all. The TNT is designed for two things only, spacing and counter-zoning. Yes that's right, counter-zoning. The key to integrating a TNT setup is only doing it after high advantage or good pushback strings. This means B222, F32, B2U4, a D2 (not KB). Safe setups include the amp, since he shoots the same distance midscreen to create a tiny bit of space. If they knock you out of it after it's started up, he'll drop it which is still useful in the way of a trap ESPECIALLY if you can pin the opponent between you and the TNT. (if you only use it cancelled on high advantages it's fairly safe) Again, you're not doing it to setup a combo, you're doing it for spacing and to prevent zoning.

If you're cornered, the fake suicide route is not a terrible idea. Pull out the TNT, you can amp it and throw it close... they can try to jump over, you can D2 if you're fast enough but they CAN'T avoid the TNT in that situation. They could continue to throw projectiles or fast moves like dash punch or cannonball are all over it. You could even stand there if you wanted and HOLD IT daring them to close in pressure, then cancel with DD. The main issue? They throw out projectiles where they're safe or knock you out before it starts up. If they hit you WHILE it's started it up, Erron drops the TNT and it's live. That's kind of that X-Factor with that, since you're both aware you can't be in that area. The one with best reactions in that situation, wins.

If you're full screen away, it's a tricky and useful setup is to take a step forward and throw far TNT, immediately taking a step back. This locks the screen length, meaning the opponent cannot walk backwards to avoid the TNT. What can you do now when they walk or dash forward? F4/F4 cancel to pressure/pull out the rifle/etc. It's a tactic you can throw out there to condition opponents not to think about trying to zone you out since you don't have the scud shot. I do believe all characters can jump straight up to avoid it, but you have options to deal with that.

You CANNOT use TNT raw against at least half of the cast 99% of the time. Geras and sand trap, Skarlet and tentacle, etc. all destroy it. Even if Erron drops the TNT and it's live, you have to be smart and weigh your options. Unless it's one of the above situations, only try to use it in a safe setup, especially with the amp if you can.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summary

Barking Irons is fun to use, it's full of gimmicks and has some silly stuff going on for it. Ultimately, it is very useable even though it's not one of the strongest in the game like 52KPU.

Pros
  • Cattle Toss can tick off F3, can use it to switch sides, can be used against airborne opponents, unbreakable damage from B222 cancel, very practical for throw-into-acid setups
  • TNT is unblockable and can help control more space when setup safely
  • Effective close pressure with slide cancels
  • F4 cancel is great for mind games and gains ground very quickly
Cons
  • No scud shot or LnL launcher
  • TNT hurts Erron
  • Both cancels cost a bar of defensive meter each
  • Slide cancel is too negative off a LOT of moves and strings, unlike Kabal's nomad dash cancels
  • Only have acid from amped slide

Last edited: