What's new

Strategy Baraka's unused/under used normals

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
i just thought id make this thread to see what you guys think about some of barakas "unused" normals/strings as to possible uses to them and maybe even some things we might of overlooked....

b1f1- this def i think should be called under used. cuban turned me onto this string a while ago after speaking good things about it, it really is just a better version of b11 (bar maybe it being easier to get triple spins of b11) i think we all should we using this a bit more

212 - personally the only use ive found for this string is when i jump in punch 22 against a low hitbox char and they have the MU knowledge to poke before the 2nd 2, next jip ill use 21~special to maybe try open up 22 later in the MU.

12b3
3b3
b2f2
the three strings above id put in the group of "they only will ever hit the 1st time your opponent see them". not that there shit, there ok to use just to test if your opponent knows about them,a low risk low reward mixup,but damage is damage i guess.
is it worth using them more?
if so, where?

also 121 and 122,
do they have a place outside a corner combo filler and the very odd 121/2~slices from a jip?

f22 useless outside its gimmicky hitbox on 2nd hit?

the last two things i think you dont often see is the last hit of the b322 string and b31f1 strings.
with very good reason i know as both are very unsafe.

with b322 only think ive found is to make your opponent think you mis-spaced a b32~special cancel only to hit them with the massive hitbox of the final 2.unsafe and unsmart i know but its all i got with that normal

with b31f1 well we most know that really just for people who are slow on there b31 punshes and maybe after you drop a 3rd b31 midscreen to try hit there wakeup but again thats all i got with that normal

thoughts guys???

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
Baraka's 21 string is godlike. Here's why:

Pros:

- MASSIVE range, especially the 1. It has a large hitbox in front of Baraka, and can even hit airborne opponents. It covers roughly half screen distance.
- 0 on block, +12 on hit, and special cancellable. The main reason to use the string. Tricks the opponent into thinking it'll be Tears of Pain starter, so when they attempt to dash forward to whiff punish, they get hit by the surprise 1, and now they're at -12. You're free to dash in and pressure. And if it's blocked, you're both at neutral. You can also cancel into Slice/Spin for added mindgames.
- Difficult to jump in on. If your opponent attempts to jump to punish this move with a crossover jip, they'll be surprised to see that Baraka just sliced his way underneath them and he's fully recovered. Because of the range this string moves Baraka, as well as it lower his hitbox somewhat, most jips whiff entirely.
- Completely crushes pokes. If your opponent is attempting to counter your D4s with D3s or D1s, the 1 on 21 completely eats up all their options, and now you're at +12. It completely alters the footsie wars against certain characters imo.

Cons:

- It's slooooow. BUT as Baraka players we're used to shit being slow as molasses, so no real surprise there. It's heavily punishable if your opponent walks back to over 3/4s screen by a jip, or advanceing normals. It recovers surprisingly fast, but it's still one of it's downfalls.

Edit: Literally right after I posted this I played some games with Curbo and took games off of him pretty much exclusively using this string. It's IMMENSELY helpful in these matchups that rely heavily on footsies.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Im not really that out of the box with stuff, but stuff I used to do:

In the corner I used b32 slices a lot, and most people would duck it and wait for the slices. That was when I used b322 to get the hard knockdown and sweep OTG into pressure.

In the corner if they are blocking I use b2 to give them time to duck and then finish with F2, usually gets quite a laugh

121 is a faster way to do slices pressure, but the range is ass

212 is great, I need to use it more

I never use any of the others though.

Flagg

Noob
I love 12B3, and always opt for B1F2 as a string ender into spins for his corner juggles (I think B1F2 into spin does more damage than B11 or his other stuff?)

21 has deceptive range as well.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
121 and 122 are both pretty ass to me. Outside or corner combos I never use them. I figure if you're gonna risk a high starter you might as well do B1, it jails just the same. And any of the strings ending in B3 are ok I guess. They're rarely seen so absolutely no one will ever armor between the hits. B2F2 is good for the surprise overhead every now and then but it's still pretty useless.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
I love 12B3, and always opt for B1F2 as a string ender into spins for his corner juggles (I think B1F2 into spin does more damage than B11 or his other stuff?)

21 has deceptive range as well.
on very few combos b1f1 does more when using as a combo ender into spins and on some it does that same as if b11 was used.
121/122 does a % more over them two in a certain corner combo aswell.
also you can get higher height of b11~spin than b1f1~spin, both very fine options for corner combos though.
nice damage is to be had with jip,b1f1 as a combo starter also

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
B1F1 almost always does more damage in X-Ray corner combos for some reason. I always use 121 Spin Spin thought if I dont have the meter.

Flagg

Noob
on very few combos b1f1 does more when using as a combo ender into spins and on some it does that same as if b11 was used.
121/122 does a % more over them two in a certain corner combo aswell.
also you can get higher height of b11~spin than b1f1~spin, both very fine options for corner combos though.
nice damage is to be had with jip,b1f1 as a combo starter also
Hmm, I genuinely didn't know that about his B11.

Do you ever use his B1F2 as a pressure tool? If not cancelled into a special, he does that weird third hit.

Lol, I always end up coming back to Baraka when I go on these little new character crusades.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
B1F2 is an excellent pressure tool actually. It jails and the special move cancel after the F2 is delayed, so it mindfucks the shit out of people and they get hit by the followup special a lot. On top of that, it's safe on block on its own, so it's good for tricking people into thinking it's unsafe.

Flagg

Noob
SomeCubanGuy, I think i'll have to try and use that a bit more when I get on next.

I cant remember who told me about this, but F2 into spin is freaking amazing and something I use a lot now.

I know he's not the fastest, but I think he has some of the nicest looking strings in the game. And he can build meter like a beast when he gets in.