What's new

Baraka Match Ups

So we just need Johnny, Raiden, Jacqui, Kano, Kitana, D'vorah, Kotal, and Geras.

I'm pretty sure the consensus will be we win against D'vorah, Kotal, Kitana, and Kano. Not sure on the others but i'm going to wait for input before i put numbers on the list.

xSkeletonSmasherx69

NOBODY CAN TRULY DEFEAT ME
So we just need Johnny, Raiden, Jacqui, Kano, Kitana, D'vorah, Kotal, and Geras.

I'm pretty sure the consensus will be we win against D'vorah, Kotal, Kitana, and Kano. Not sure on the others but i'm going to wait for input before i put numbers on the list.
Ok I will fill in the rest.

Johnny: 5-5 or 6-4 Baraka.
Johnny goes toe to toe really well. His damage isn't spectacular but if you are both going in it's going to be a fair match. Does Johnny's D4 low profile Baraka's F4? If not try to catch him tossing out the poke.

Raiden: 6-4 Baraka
Not much input from me here. Raiden feels really slow. His frame data is too fair. All strings block high then low unless it's that slow, but far reaching B32. Punish the punishable stuff or grab him 100 times.

Jacqui: 5-5 or possibly 4-6 Jacqui
Jacqui is incredibly good. Baraka can keep her out a little bit, but how can you utilize his amazing damage if you aren't going toe to toe with her. This type of match is going to rely on who can open up who. Jacqui offers a lot of pressure which Baraka can't do. I would probably say it favors Jacqui.

Kano: 6-4 Baraka
Kano feels like a very gimmicky character. He was designed cool though. Just don't fall for the overhead roll move. I think it's safe on block. I haven't fought a lot of Kano's

Kitana: 5-5 or 6-4 Baraka
Kitana isn't bad. She probably zone's Baraka out better. So he would have to get in close. A lot of her stuff is safe and it is just about making good reads.

D'vorah: 6-4 Baraka
I don't really know because I haven't faced one. She is better than 7-3 I will tell you that much.

Kotal: 7-3 Baraka
Kotal is my side chick. He can do some stuff, but really he is easily punished. He is slow and his fast strings can be uppercutted easily. Poor Kotal

Geras: 3-7 Geras
Geras is OP. You can't zone him and he out footsies the hell out of you. His forward mid string is just killer. His d1 brings a tear to my eye. He is the perfect character. I'm glad he is falling endlessly in the sea of blood.

Snake Sound 222

Tonight, Tarkata feasts
3-7 in Sub's favor? Does Baraka struggle that much against him? I was thinking that it would be 4-6 Sub or maybe 5-5.

Geras is OP. You can't zone him and he out footsies the hell out of you. His forward mid string is just killer. His d1 brings a tear to my eye. He is the perfect character. I'm glad he is falling endlessly in the sea of blood.
You could punish a Geras that is trying to charge his gauntlet, but I'm not sure if that's part of his tournament variations or if you should even try to charge the gauntlet for long enough that Baraka has a chance to get in and punish (I've only played as Geras in the Novice Tower for the fatality trophy and his ending and fought him only a couple of times). It probably won't change the matchup though.

HapHaxion

"Knowledge" - Taio Cruz
Ok I will fill in the rest.

Johnny: 5-5 or 6-4 Baraka.
Johnny goes toe to toe really well. His damage isn't spectacular but if you are both going in it's going to be a fair match. Does Johnny's D4 low profile Baraka's F4? If not try to catch him tossing out the poke.

Not much input from me here. Raiden feels really slow. His frame data is too fair. All strings block high then low unless it's that slow, but far reaching B32. Punish the punishable stuff or grab him 100 times.

Jacqui: 5-5 or possibly 4-6 Jacqui
Jacqui is incredibly good. Baraka can keep her out a little bit, but how can you utilize his amazing damage if you aren't going toe to toe with her. This type of match is going to rely on who can open up who. Jacqui offers a lot of pressure which Baraka can't do. I would probably say it favors Jacqui.

Kano: 6-4 Baraka
Kano feels like a very gimmicky character. He was designed cool though. Just don't fall for the overhead roll move. I think it's safe on block. I haven't fought a lot of Kano's

Kitana: 5-5 or 6-4 Baraka
Kitana isn't bad. She probably zone's Baraka out better. So he would have to get in close. A lot of her stuff is safe and it is just about making good reads.

D'vorah: 6-4 Baraka
I don't really know because I haven't faced one. She is better than 7-3 I will tell you that much.

Kotal: 7-3 Baraka
Kotal is my side chick. He can do some stuff, but really he is easily punished. He is slow and his fast strings can be uppercutted easily. Poor Kotal

I don't think there are a large number of 7-3s in the game as of yet. I would be fine with most of this except I think Kitana has a slight advantage (maybe 5.5-4.5), Kotal is 6-4 (maybe 6.5-3.5 max) in favor of Baraka, Raiden may be 5.5-4.5 and Geras is maybe 4-6. Sub may also be 3.5-6.5 instead of 3-7

Last edited:

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
3-7 in Sub's favor? Does Baraka struggle that much against him? I was thinking that it would be 4-6 Sub or maybe 5-5.

You could punish a Geras that is trying to charge his gauntlet, but I'm not sure if that's part of his tournament variations or if you should even try to charge the gauntlet for long enough that Baraka has a chance to get in and punish (I've only played as Geras in the Novice Tower for the fatality trophy and his ending and fought him only a couple of times). It probably won't change the matchup though.
Where are you getting the 3-7 number from? I think Sub is his worst matchup personally but wouldn't put it at 3-7.

I also disagree with Geras being a 3-7 although it is definitely a tough matchup. You can still outfootsie and outdamage him. You have to be really patient to avoid getting hit with Sand Trap. He's super good but Baraka has so many tools it is hard to see him having anything worse than a 4-6.

Snake Sound 222

Tonight, Tarkata feasts
Where are you getting the 3-7 number from? I think Sub is his worst matchup personally but wouldn't put it at 3-7.

I also disagree with Geras being a 3-7 although it is definitely a tough matchup. You can still outfootsie and outdamage him. You have to be really patient to avoid getting hit with Sand Trap. He's super good but Baraka has so many tools it is hard to see him having anything worse than a 4-6.
The first page has the Sub matchup listed at 3-7 in Sub's favor.

SLy

Noob
Have to disagree. This matchup comes across fairly even to me. Im confused how “fair” frame data impacts this matchup? Raiden has the tools to keep up with barakas damage which is probably the biggest threat to raiden.

xSkeletonSmasherx69

NOBODY CAN TRULY DEFEAT ME
Have to disagree. This matchup comes across fairly even to me. Im confused how “fair” frame data impacts this matchup? Raiden has the tools to keep up with barakas damage which is probably the biggest threat to raiden.
To be fair I don't have much experience against any real decent Raidens. What tools does he have? Can he do a 30% damage combo? I don't mind it being 5-5.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Raiden vs. Marauder is low key degenerate af. Raiden can just zone him out and as soon as Baraka gets close he either air supermans or teleports away. Baraka can check with sparks but if Raiden gets a lead it sucks pretty hard.

That being said Bone Picker beats him imo. Air superman is no longer an option, Raiden has a tough time dealing with the throw game and since raiden is so unsafe on almost everything Baraka will force him to hold his oki a lot. Not to mention Bone Picker does way better vs. zoning characters in general.

I agree with you. Raiden is slow but Baraka has to play at raiden’s pace. Raiden has far better mobility with teleport(s). Plus, Baraka can’t just throw out random projectiles like he can with most characters. Teleport on a read will punish Baraka with a full 32% combo.

So i know plenty has been said about how broken/braindead this character is. Im not gonna add to that but i really dont get how NRS could let a character like this get through to the final version. The fact is he is here and is a problem. As Baraka i really am struggling in this matchup. From his pressure to the free 50/50's its just an absolute nightmare. Whats even more annoying is his low jab. No matter what i try i just get low jabbed out of everything which makes it extremely difficult to start an offence. Can you guys please give me some tips against the Geras Infinite Warden variation. What should i be doing especially against the low jab mashers...

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
D1~Chop Chop will win you the jab war.

Figure out which normal you can use to stop the frog splash. I know a lot of characters can, oddly enough, D3 the fuckin thing.

The guy i play doesnt do the frog splash so i dont have to worry about that too much. What he likes to do is poke me with d1 and then move into that string which either ends in an overhead or the low sand trap. I find it really hard to punish either of them when i block. As he usually goes straight back into a d+1 after i block its even worse as most of barakas high moves go straight over him. Maybe i can punish with f+4...

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
The guy i play doesnt do the frog splash so i dont have to worry about that too much. What he likes to do is poke me with d1 and then move into that string which either ends in an overhead or the low sand trap. I find it really hard to punish either of them when i block. As he usually goes straight back into a d+1 after i block its even worse as most of barakas high moves go straight over him. Maybe i can punish with f+4...
Take it to the lab. I don't play Baraka but that Geras string (111/11~db1) starts with a high, which you can neutral duck and punish with at least d2. Also I tend to block that high unless they're desperate and I think they'll go for the low since it's the unsafe option.

Always hit practice mode. Take mental notes of what sequences your opponent is hitting you with and try to recreate them. Geras is stupid but there are always answers.

trufenix

bye felicia
imho f+2 is your friend. It's your best footside / conditioning tool if you space it right. It's also the only thing you can do against the growing army of characters with better point blank buttons than Baraka. Every baraka main I've watched abandons it because they want big stupid punishes with gutted or f+4, or they're afraid of d+2s. Well, have fun getting all your progress oblieterated by Breakaway.

Space f+2 to stay safe, cancel it into fireballs or into chop chop on block, or just put them on the ground if it hits. Yes, you are going to eat a d2 kb combos but you only have to do that once. Save your breakaway for that.

In Geras country just f+2,1,2 anything he sticks out, put him on his back and keep up your game. Stay in his face, he can't do anything on oki except wakeup u+3 believe it or not, so learn to space it when he has meter, and when he doesn't, put him back on the ground. Be prepared to grab any and all rolls. Geras players just love getting up pressing fucking buttons, so just make sure chop chop / b+3 / d+4 / b+2 is already waiting for them. If you get the luxury, put out a flag but all you really have to do is blow it once and eat a really good sand trap to blow all your progress.

The splash is a problem, but honestly, if he's splashing you point blank or cross up that much, he's not afraid of your d+2 , f+2, back spikes, or chop chop, and you've already lost.

hey guys. who's been watching combobreaker? as a baraka main, how do you work around jacqui's throw reversal aside from "not throwing" ?

first time to witness a game which can add damage from a throw escape :|

EDIT: nvm on my second line; tekken says "hi" (ie: reversing king's figure four).

Last edited: