What's new

Baraka General Discussion

So Baraka has recently piqued my interest. I like simple, fundamentals-focused gameplay, and I like passive-aggressive offense that forces my opponent to play patiently or hang themselves. Baraka seems like he has those things. However, I find myself a lot more interested in Bone Picker than Gutted. Although the combo potential is obviously lower, it seems like it has more screen control and a more intimidating presence in general. Do I have the right idea? Is Bone Picker considered equally viable? Better or worse in some areas? Any tips on playing it competitively?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
So Baraka has recently piqued my interest. I like simple, fundamentals-focused gameplay, and I like passive-aggressive offense that forces my opponent to play patiently or hang themselves. Baraka seems like he has those things. However, I find myself a lot more interested in Bone Picker than Gutted. Although the combo potential is obviously lower, it seems like it has more screen control and a more intimidating presence in general. Do I have the right idea? Is Bone Picker considered equally viable? Better or worse in some areas? Any tips on playing it competitively?
Marauder is way more intimidating as if you get touched you lose half your health or close to it. It is also much better for a playstyle of being patient and waiting for people to hang themselves because of the former.

Bone picker is fine and you can probably compete with it if you want to. The grab is really good and gives a lot of oki options. However it is risky and as people start playing against it more they will punish you hard for whiffing it or if they read it. I imagine it will become less viable as time goes on, but Baraka has great enough general tools that it should still be viable.

what pokes are you using guys? d1 / df1 / d3 / df3
df1 has amazing range, +17 on hit, but hard to followup with f4
d3 shit range but +14
d1 is d1
df3 is idk

Im playing Baraka since he beta and he is really strong on footsies neutral and close situation and im discovering good optimal combos and kind things BUT i found something really OP with that i think its intended to be in the game
its a tech that i found two krushing blows in a row 62% with grabs and it only work with him

Wallach

Noob
So I was looking at some gameplay recently and noticed my variation with the gutted special move now does not include chop chop. Was the a patch that changed the variations moves around?
Chop Chop is a core move, so all variations have it unless you take an ability that overwrites it.

Started learning baraka the other day and was wondering what you guys use chop chop for. Is it a better combo ender than gutted? Does it leave you with more hit advantage for better okie?

Last edited:
Started learning baraka the other day and was wondering what you guya use chop chop for. Is it a better combo ender than gutted? Does it leave you with more hit advantage for better okie?
It does more damage if you Mash 3 he keep doing the chop chop doing more damage and like everyone say "who punish chop chop?" It is punishable but not everyone can punish

Can someone help me? I find myself unable to do some of his KBs. Maybe I'm reading the description wrong. The throw hasn't worked for me once, despite me doing it back to back. Does it have to be the same direction throw? Do I hold the throw buttons?
Same goes for his bf2 dash. The description says it works when the enemy blocks too late, but I never saw that happen. Same with amplified bf3. I use these over and over hoping for something but it never happens. What am I doing wrong?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Started learning baraka the other day and was wondering what you guya use chop chop for. Is it a better combo ender than gutted? Does it leave you with more hit advantage for better okie?
Combo ender, anti air on a hard read

You want to end any combo under 9 hits in chop chop, but over 9 hits and gutted KBs which does more damage. Also if you don't want to waste the KB you can obviously just end in chop chop. You want to end in FB if you have it too, especially off of KBs (dont do too much though because higher hit combos scale FB heavily).

Wallach

Noob
Can someone help me? I find myself unable to do some of his KBs. Maybe I'm reading the description wrong. The throw hasn't worked for me once, despite me doing it back to back. Does it have to be the same direction throw? Do I hold the throw buttons?
Same goes for his bf2 dash. The description says it works when the enemy blocks too late, but I never saw that happen. Same with amplified bf3. I use these over and over hoping for something but it never happens. What am I doing wrong?
Not sure about the BF2 KB since I only play tournament variations still, but with throw KBs, the opponent actually has to tech the wrong direction. AIs either always successfully tech or don't attempt to tech at all, so you will never land one of these KBs unless you're fighting a human.

When a human player presses 1 instead of 2 to tech a back throw for example, you'll see the message "Escape Failed" - the next time you throw them, if they don't tech that throw correctly you can KB them.

When a human player presses 1 instead of 2 to tech a back throw for example, you'll see the message "Escape Failed" - the next time you throw them, if they don't tech that throw correctly you can KB them.
Oh. That seems very hard to do. Everyone I played it with usually managed to escape or weren't quick enough to attempt, so that explains it. Thanks!

Wallach

Noob
Oh. That seems very hard to do. Everyone I played it with usually managed to escape or weren't quick enough to attempt, so that explains it. Thanks!
It actually becomes more common the better players get, because they'll get better at visually responding to a throw and hitting a button, but there is no way to tell whether a throw is forward or backward. When players are still new they'll often not even get a throw tech attempt because they won't release the block button in time, so you don't see them nearly as often. But if you watch higher level play (like the Summit invitational that happened last weekend) you'll see a fair amount of throw KBs since every character has at least 1 and there is a built-in mixup to the throw mechanic.

It actually becomes more common the better players get, because they'll get better at visually responding to a throw and hitting a button, but there is no way to tell whether a throw is forward or backward. When players are still new they'll often not even get a throw tech attempt because they won't release the block button in time, so you don't see them nearly as often. But if you watch higher level play (like the Summit invitational that happened last weekend) you'll see a fair amount of throw KBs since every character has at least 1 and there is a built-in mixup to the throw mechanic.
Unfortunately not every character has one. I know johhny doesn't for example

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Have you guys found any practical setups to catch forward roll with the command grab for the KB? Back rolls are easy enough to catch but the timing seems very tough for forward rolls, if it’s even possible. If you are getting it, when do you input the command grab (do you wait for them to go slightly past you and reverse the inputs, is there any auto correct mechanism, etc?)

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
So i just picked up baraka, any tips for flag use?
After any throw or his 2,1+3 string or if you've conditioned them to block at around b2 range or you've conditioned them to neutral duck after blade sparks.

Pop war banner, get your damage boost and go to town.

Anyone else having this problem.I have fast fingers and big fingers.Anyone throwing out flag instead of chop chop and getting full combo punished for it .Is any way to disable flag.lol I do this all the time I

Anyone else having this problem.I have fast fingers and big fingers.Anyone throwing out flag instead of chop chop and getting full combo punished for it .Is any way to disable flag.lol I do this all the time I
It happens to me too sometimes with sub i try to D1 and iceball come out i recommend to you check the negative edge