What's new

General/Other Bane, Injustice's hidden eden

TylorJockin

You don't impress me.
The fact that Bane is considered to be one of the lowest tier baffles me. Knowing the Injustice community, no one probably took the time to go through, learn and stick with Bane to expose his full potential. At first, I took their word for it, and I too very blindly believed Bane was utter garbage. It wasn't until my best friend Hunter, a person who doesn't play Injustice let alone FG's in general competitively at all, wanted to start using him. Now I understand most people can't exactly figure characters out on their own, so I figured I should try my best with the character to teach Him.

Turns out, Bane is a mix-up god. This Luchador, for being a very bulky hit box, has almost endless mixup options and relentless speed. HOWEVER, by speed I mean he can get around the screen in remarkable times. His forward and back dash are the same, same speed and distance, and each dash is approximately a QUARTER OF THE SCREEN. There is no character in fighting game history(don't quote me) with a dash as quick and far moving as Bane's. The downfall to his speed is the START UP frames to almost all normals. For a string with decent combo potential, you're looking at 16+ start up. The good news is that he has very good low starters. The heart of Bane is in his d1. Its a quick low kick that leaves you at +17 on hit and +3 on block. Hmmmm... perhaps you can see where I'm going.

Bane with his mad advantage of a d1, has PLENTY of options. Put two and two together, and you see that Banes "slow" startup on all of his Low normals pretty much just got inescapable. You're opponent is forced to block, more importantly, you're opponent has to block LOW. Which would mean you can mix it up by throwing in OVERHEADS. Well, it just so happens that Bane in fact has incredible OVERHEADS as well.

Bane can cancel his Low strings into a overhead at ANYTIME he wants thanks to his bf3. This will screw your opponent up unbelievably hard. Bane's b1-1-2 string starts with double Low's. Your opponent with be unsure whether to block high in between b1 and 1 because he will be anticipating the overhead cancel. So either he's gonna guess wrong, guess wrong, or be at square one. Your opponent will eat the Overhead cancel, eat a full combo, or guess right but you will be left at +1. This is just one example of an excellent mixup of Bane's, I hope it enlightens you to hit the lab with him. Keep in mind Bane also has a beast unlockable Command Grab ;)

Banes play style is very harsh rush down. He may not always have a great damage output, but that's nothing a little titan can't help. Even once you are dry on titan and go into your weakened state, DON'T DROP PRESSURE AND PLAY LAME. Keep the pressure going, it consumes a lot time for Bane to recharge. A dry Bane sitting full screen is a dead Bane.

The way I see it, Bane is at a mad advantage right now. No one knows what to expect from him and most likely will underestimate his play. Play him in sort of "tiers". Start the match doing one mixup, train your opponent against it. The drop another nuke on him. Once he learns that mixup, DO ANOTHER. Bane has endless mix up opportunity's, but you'll only have to go through a few before your opponent's health is gone.

With all this mixup potential, I don't even see Bane being one of those characters that is only good until the community adapts, but I could be wrong... Prove me wrong Injustice community!

bane is underrated, check out mustards bane to get an idea how he should be played. if he gets buffed that might be the jax treatment.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Knowing the Injustice community, no one probably took the time to go through, learn and stick with Bane to expose his full potential.
I don't think Bane's issues were purely issues of theory or tools. A lot of it is the problem of other characters having tools as well, and some of those tools completely stop Bane from getting started with his mixup game.

For example, Black Adam can play an excellent keep-away game, and can full punish Bane for any Raging Charge since Bane can't cancel it. Your mixups and your amazing low don't matter if you never get a change to use them (except in the corner; but some characters are easier to keep cornered than others). And not only that, but BA can use his trait to deal damage to you for attempting to come in, and he can close distance quickly on a debuff. Bane is constantly at a large disadvantage.

Likewise Batman has the ability to break armor from anywhere onscreen, break armor on crossups, and is highly mobile in the air; so if he is jumping your low, now you have to play guessing games with AA when he can delay/redirect himself in the air and a lot of his normals will come out before yours do.

So you can't solve the issues simply by looking at Bane's tools that give him an advantage; you also have to take a look at other characters' tools that give them an advantage over Bane. And that's a pretty steep advantage in some cases for people that know the Bane matchup.

In any case, Bane might not be an absolute horrible character, but to walk in and act like guys like Mustard haven't been working on tech and trying their hardest since Day 1 is kind of an insult to them. And guys like Doombawkz have already talked about a lot of the things you are trying to present as some sort of new saving grace here.

With that said, it's nice of you to try and help out, and it's always great to see people taking a positive outlook rather than a negative one, so kudos -- just consider that maybe other people are in the same boat and have gotten further along.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
I will tell you first hand that a lot of his "mix up god" strings can be simply backdashed or jumped back on block due to the speed of his normals and then you're getting whiff punished by chars with fast specials that combo. The only saving grace is if you as Bane guess right with canceling into double punch or cmd grab on strings that allow that at the right time to catch them. If they insist on taking your preasure and just trying to block it yes he shines and he will be your death. It is not as cut and dry as you make it out to be but I'm glad that you support him.

Sami

Noob
Bane's issues were never really with his mix-ups and is has always rightly been feared when he's on you, especially in the corner. The big problems with Bane have always been getting in, staying in and not being one-shot when his trait wears off.

As for forward dash speeds, I *think* Grundy and Doomsday are equal to if not better than Bane. Don't quote me on that though.

SUPARNOVAX

Low tier? I was born in it, molded by it
Bane's kinda easy to hit by a lot of characters, I think that gives a lot of impression that he's on the weaker side. Plus if you are caught during his debuff, most people's 20-30% bnb's turn into like 35-50% bnb's on him free. But other than that, I think he just needs polish in some areas but a lot of the stuff falls on the game's foundation just as much.

I'm not sure how other characters play in this game as I've only put any serious time into Bane. That said, Bane is about making reads nonstop. It is quite possible that once you knockdown an opponent, they will not get back up again until their life bar is gone. It's also quite possible that they will guess right every time and punish you or escape for free. To make matters worse, our bf2 (double punch) does so little damage that there is no reason to fear it. That limits our options further once the opponent catches on. Add all this together with the fact that we pose zero threat to an opponent who is more than a few character lengths away, and Bane's issues really become apparent. It is definitely possible to beat any character in the game with Bane and beat them badly, but Bane is a highly volatile character. Matches are a never ending string of "educated guesses" for you and your opponent. It can be fun and very rewarding at times, but it can also be miserable as well.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
And cue all the Bane players jumping in and giving opinions.
I think Bane is solid, not good enough to nerf but good enough to compete. As much as people say "its only good so long as the opponent doesn't know your tricks", no one really knows all the tricks. Its a common sight to see multiple people playing one character the same way (Barring Theo, take Superman for example), however there are no two Bane players who play exactly alike. Also add in people are just now finding out about tech we found in May and thinking its new, and you have yourself a large group who only has vague answers that don't always work against every Bane.

To that end Aug is right, its pretty much nothing but trying to outpredict and outplay your opponent. We have the tools to win without a challenge, but we need to be able to use those tools to make full use of them. Doing the N.T.C.G. is useless if you can't land the first half. If you can, however, its an additional 32% onto any combo and is almost inescapable. He has more than enough resets to put the opponent in any position he wants them to be in, however its up to you to make sure you can keep the opponent in that one place long enough to take advantage.

Either way, he is fun. Every match is a challenge and you can play them with any style you see fit, but every match WILL be a challenge (barring Grundy and Ares to some extent).

shad0ki11er 27

Time will only tell the Greats
bane is great to me everyone i played thinks when his debuff happens he cant do anything but he does do a solid 15 to 20% depends on what combos you do but all you got to do it keep pressure and if they push block AA grab them and sense the last buff he gained with the venom cool down his venom comes back extremely fast and you can stay in pressure i play bane no matter what i don't try and use back ups but to me i think bane is really good and fits how i play

NoobSaibot

PSN: JP_THUNDA
I've used Bane consistently from the start and i really don't understand the upplaying that goes on on the forums, i mean he definitely isn't as bad as people thought and i believe he's a solid character choice, but i've seen people talk about Bane blowing up Superman and they weren't trolling....

Once Bane got the mobility buff... so many doors opened for the man. So saying he's "free" is now a joke in and of itself. I play Bane, and when I lose I don't go and blame "BANE". I blame myself for misreads/impatient play. At this point I don't think there is a SINGLE and I mean a SINGLE, character that is NOT capable of doing well in tournament play...

Maybe scorpion since it takes like 8 bars of meter to take one heath bar now and if you expect the now slower teleport. Neutral jump Full combo punish. But outside of that, everyone's got the dirt, everyone's got the potential, everyone's got something. I don't think there is a character out there that I wouldn't have to respect at high level. (And that part includes scorpy).

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Likewise Batman has the ability to break armor from anywhere onscreen, break armor on crossups, and is highly mobile in the air; so if he is jumping your low, now you have to play guessing games with AA when he can delay/redirect himself in the air and a lot of his normals will come out before yours do.
You still didn't even add Ufgt9 and Evo2013 to your MKI rankings yet. Do you even know how to add stuff to it?

Welcome to the fold. Glad you finally seen the light of Bane.

May titan be with you.

Edit: Just wait till you discover the O.H.V.C.S.

Sent from my Gameboy Color using Tapatalk 2