What's new

Video/Tutorial Bane F3/B3 crossup gimmicks by RZR|CG Mustard

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter

In this video, i demonstrate some peculiar setups leading to Bane's F3 and B3 crossing over the opponent on their wakeup.

the base idea was to find a way to help further bane's meterless damage output without relying on venom to always buff damage into threatening amounts.

the following is a written breakdown of each setup explained and showcased in the video:

1. f2d2, instant f3.

this results in the F3 crossing the opponent up, Bane's f3 is +9 on block so even if the opponent successfully blocks this you are guaranteed a d1 into whatever followup you choose, on HIT Bane is left facing the corner, and any followup you attempt will miss, so to avoid this, you must dash out of the corner instantly first, and then follow up to make your combo connect properly.

the main idea of this is to give f2d2 some use in the corner over a raw f3.

2. b23, b11, forward dash, b3.

this works by utilising the odd grounded time after an airborne b11, the timing can throw off opponents mashing tech roll, and as demonstrated even a successful tech roll isn't a surefire way out.

you want to time your b11 to hit the opponent as low down to the ground as you can, to ensure both hits land, and the followup dash must come instantly in order for the b3 to time as a crossup.

the timing for the b3 also forces the opponent into block if you MB the b3 and they do not backdash, and as it's a b3 it also beats jumps as well as numerous wakeup attacks.

the only way to punish Bane for this is to tech roll and backdash, but this only punishes bane if he actually goes for the b3, the Bane player can always chase down the backdash on prediction and punish it, so typically you only want to attempt this after the opponent has been conditioned to not backdash on every wakeup.

3. b23, d2, j2, forward dash, f3/b3

this is by far the easiest to time out of all the setups showcased, this involves again, changing up the tech roll timing on the opponents landing, and making the most out of Bane's recently buffed d2, i reccomend you mix this up along with the previous b23 setup to alter between the tech roll timings of the two.

something useful with this is how both of bane's f3 AND b3 crossup here, the biggest differences between the two being b3 bags more damage on hit, but f3 is alot safer and is actually +9 on block, so it's completely down to the discretion of the player as to what they would rather use.

this has the same possibilities to beat wakeups and tech rolls as before via use of meter burn on the b/f3, and can also be escaped via techroll into backdash.

4. MB double punch (corner)

After any MB double punch in the corner, Bane has the ability to instantly dash forward, and neutral jump into a complete 50/50 on the way down.

j1 will always hit in front, and will easily combo into 113, giving you the option for max damage in the corner should it land, and if blocked will leave you at +3.

jd3 will hit behind the opponent, and will also combo into 113, but as showcased the only way to further corner your opponent after, is to end your combo in MB command grab, which puts them back in, if blocked you corner yourself and leave yourself - on block.

the jump reverses your opponents wakeup input, which many characters can do, but nonetheless, it is useful.

this can be escaped by your opponent reversing their backdash.

I am aware this is mainly just gimmicky tricks, but the more you know and the more you have available to you, the better, imo.

hopefully this is helpful to some of you, let me know what you think, all feedback welcome!

- RZR|CG Mustard

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Great Video Mustard! Was not aware of the corner cross up even though I'm sure someone pointed it out, that's Gold!

Been using 3 and 4 since we discussed it. the first ones gold though. Honestly all you need is one and it just puts the mind games on. Great finds.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
Question on #4 though, i've been using it off of double punch, but would any other hard knockdowns enable it or just the DP?
you get the same result from d3, but realistically there is no reason to ever d3 over b2 in the corner. if you're going for the hard knockdown mid combo MB DP is always the better option as it gives the same knockdown no matter how late in the combo you do it.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I knew you were Hollywood when you picked Regime Bane. Also your voice *_*
If you do this off of a high splat it also works pretty interestingly.

Jon Berg

Noob
It seems for #2 you can just finish the string (b112) and you can still dash and get the crossup effect. Get damage where ya can right?

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
It seems for #2 you can just finish the string (b112) and you can still dash and get the crossup effect. Get damage where ya can right?
good to know, do you still get the option to beat tech roll wakeups?

KingKuma

Noob
Awesome stuff Mustard! I will definitely work in implementing a few of those crossups.

Here's a simple combo I found from the crossup F3 you mentioned. It eliminates the need for a back dash back and is pretty easy to hit confirm. Crossup F3, 2, 123 xx Body Press - 32% meterless

I just wanted to add that you can simply ring toss after many strings to put them back in the corner after the cross up. If you 113 + ring toss they get put in the corner. b23 and b23, 123 ring toss does this as well. It's good because you don't have to use meter and get roughly 30%. I feel like ring toss is often overlooked for this use.

Also, I can't seem to get consistency with the mb double punch set-up. Most of the time he seems to cross up even if I use jumping 1. Any tips on the timing? I am buffering the dash during the double punch atm.

KingKuma

Noob
I just wanted to add that you can simply ring toss after many strings to put them back in the corner after the cross up. If you 113 + ring toss they get put in the corner. b23 and b23, 123 ring toss does this as well. It's good because you don't have to use meter and get roughly 30%. I feel like ring toss is often overlooked for this use.

Also, I can't seem to get consistency with the mb double punch set-up. Most of the time he seems to cross up even if I use jumping 1. Any tips on the timing? I am buffering the dash during the double punch atm.

I found that the MB DP set up doesn't always work. It seems to be combo and sometimes character specific. For example, this is the combo I use off B23 in the corner: B23, 1, 123 xx MB DP. Against Wonder Woman this combo leads into the cross up body splash/non cross up j.1 but against Superman/Black Adam/MMH (I haven't tested all) the body splash doesn't cross up. However, if you take out the extra 1 in the combo the set up works as Mustard demonstrated it against most of the cast. I don't really mind taking out the 1 as it only decreases damage by 1-2% but from what I've tested there are other methods of comboing into MB DP that don't lead to the set up Mustard showed here.

All that being said I still think this is a useful piece of tech. Hope this helped.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
great to see you guys experimenting with this!

Big_Bodies to make the jumping 1 hit in front after the neutral jump you have to hit the attack quite high up in bane's jump.

i used both of the midscreen setups today at VSF and they worked wonders, really feel this is useful against people who aren't prone to techrolling constantly.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
I really look forward to your future Bane videos!
right now i'm just trying to decide what to make my next video about, considering making a video purely about the command grab so people can fully understand it, pros/cons etc. still open for ideas though if there's anything you Bane players wanna see!

right now i'm just trying to decide what to make my next video about, considering making a video purely about the command grab so people can fully understand it, pros/cons etc. still open for ideas though if there's anything you Bane players wanna see!
Haha command grab is for sure an area I feel comfortable in, if you'd like I'd be glad to have an input. Been working on a few setups with the grab and would love to help.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
Haha command grab is for sure an area I feel comfortable in, if you'd like I'd be glad to have an input. Been working on a few setups with the grab and would love to help.
sure, sounds good to me, i think command grab is something that really needs to be fleshed out in the open, so it's for sure going to be the topic of the next video.