What's new

Tech Backwards Setups

Pho Cubic

Sérieusement Sabrewulf peut aller en enfer.
[Updated on 12/22/12. Updates include combo damage, more detailed descriptions of each setup, and some more reliable corner setups. Still looking for a midscreen combo that leaves the opponent backwards on tech roll. Will be updated again relatively soon with videos.]

So this is my first thread on TYM. Hopfully these setups are useful for the few remaining Mileena players in the scene. The topic is pretty self-explanatory...after these combos are performed, the opponent will end up going in the opposite direction when performing a wakeup attack. Depending on what attack they use, you can either use 4 2 (close punish), roll (midscreen punish), or telekick (full screen punish). I assume these are unknown, but if they are common knowledge already I apologize. These work most of the time, but rarely some of them fail.

Open space combos

[The following combos will leave the opponent waking up backwards. Roll is disabled on wake up.]

4 2~telekick, sai, roll, b1 4, d1~telekick - 28% (3% damage less than normal BnB)
Yes...Mileena's d1 isn't completely useless. Incredible, isn't it? The easy way to do d1~telekick is by pressing down forward 1, down forward 3. It's somewhat similar to doing d1~spear with Scorpion. Even if the opponent tech rolls and does a wake up attack, they won't have time to hit you if you block afterwards.

u4, u4, b1 4, 1 1 2~roll, NJP~telekick, 4 2 - 30% (4% damage less than normal BnB)
Unfortunately I have no easy way of inputting the NJP~telekick. Practice makes perfect I suppose. The 4 2 at the end is whiffed. You are vulnerable if the opponent tech rolls and does a quick wake up attack (i.e. KL spin).

b3~ex roll, u4, b1 4, 1 1 2~roll, NJP~telekick, 4 2 - 28% (3-4% less than normal combo)
Same as above.

2 3~roll, u4, b1 4~dash, 1 1 2~telekick - 31% (2% less than normal combo)
Telekick is whiffed. Even if the opponent tech rolls and does a wake up attack, they won't have time to hit you if you block afterwards.

roll, u4, b1 4~dash, 1 1 2~telekick - 23% (3% less than normal combo)
Same as above.

Corner combos

[The following combos are done with the opponent in the corner, and will leave the opponent waking up backwards back into the corner. Pretty awesome. Roll is disabled on wake up.]

u4, u4, b1 4, 2 3 4~roll, dash out, f3 1+2~telekick - 34% (1% less than normal combo)
Somewhat strict timing is required to get the 1+2 to connect. Telekick is whiffed. Doing the f3 1+2 too fast will make both whiff and put you in the corner. Even if the opponent tech rolls and does a wake up attack, they won't have time to hit you if you block afterwards.

b1 4, 2 3 4, 2 3 4~roll, dash out, f3 1+2~telekick - 37% (1% less than normal combo)
Same as above.

Any combo ending with x-ray into the corner, telekick - damage varies
This one's funny, as it's completely unexpected. Sometimes the opponent ends up in the corner...other times you're the one in the corner. You are vulnerable to fast anti-air wakeups like KL spin and JC flip kick if the opponent tech rolls and does a quick wake up attack.

[Roll is enabled on wakeup with the following combos]

u4, u4, b1 4, 2 3 4~roll, dash out, 3 4~telekick - 34% (1% less than normal combo)
The 3 and 4 at the end are supposed to connect, but not the telekick. How quickly or slowly you input the 3 4~telekick after dashing out dramatically effects the chances of this working. If you time the 3 so that it hit it connects at the top of the hitbox, this setup is extremely reliable. If you are late on the input, the setup's reliability drops dramatically. If you think the reverse setup might fail and want to play it safe, you still have time to block the opponents wake up after the tech roll and punish accordingly.

b1 4, 2 3 4, 2 3 4~roll, dash out, 3 4~telekick - 37% (1% less than normal combo)
Same as above.

[The following combo doesn't leave the opponent backwards. Instead, it's a gimmick that gives the impression that the opponent has time to hit you with a wakeup attack, while in reality you have time to block it. Has to be performed in open space and I believe it works against almost all wakeups as long as the opponent doesn't roll (to be fair I haven't tested it against every single wakeup in the game, but it works against Lao's spin, which is good enough validation for me), but watch out for opponents with fast advancing specials (i.e. Kano ball, Raiden superman) that roll and wakeup. I guess it's worth a try in an intense situation in the match.]

u4, u4, b1 4, 1 1 2~roll, JIK~sai, jump in, block - 33% (1% less than normal combo)
Perform the jump-in kick~sai ASAP after the roll. Otherwise this won't work. If they are late on inputting the wakeup, you can deep kick~sai to force them up. If they block, you're at advantage. If they don't, full combo punish.

Unfortunately I haven't discovered any combos that leave the opponent backwards in open space when roll is enabled. I don't know if anyone has discovered anything yet, but when I am able to hit the lab in a couple days I will keep trying to find one.

** Watch out when doing this against Kabal, as the bastard's wakeup saw will still hit you even though he's backwards (it starts behind him). Just block low I guess.

CrazyBread

Princess Diana
Awesome stuff so not only are you creating setups where the opponents wake ups will whiff, there's a 50/50 chance to punish them correctly also. About the Mileena d1 I had a feeling it wasn't as horrible as people were saying, a perfect example is Sonic Fox's Mileena knows exactly when to use it. Is it possible for a mini video tutorial?

Pho Cubic

I won't have time to video this until Saturday, but I'll see what I can do. I'm glad you find this useful :).

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
I'm glad that there's finally some posting here but I have some issues with your stuff.

There's no point in reversing inputs midscreen, if you're gunna start with 4,2 just to 4 2 tele sai roll b14 tele sai. Max damage midscreen off 4,2 is much better than reversing inputs.

The only time you really wanna be ending in telekick is after u4 u4 b14 112~roll b14 tele.

Once they catch on to you whiffing tele's, they can tech roll and you're screwed.

In the corner, if you tele whiff into the corner it actually reverses your inputs. You can do some weird stuff but it's honestly not worth ending in tele in the corner.

Next time to do tele in the corner, just jump out of the corner and watch the weird jump Mileena does, yep.

Pho Cubic

I'm glad that there's finally some posting here but I have some issues with your stuff.

There's no point in reversing inputs midscreen, if you're gunna start with 4,2 just to 4 2 tele sai roll b14 tele sai. Max damage midscreen off 4,2 is much better than reversing inputs.

The only time you really wanna be ending in telekick is after u4 u4 b14 112~roll b14 tele.

Once they catch on to you whiffing tele's, they can tech roll and you're screwed.

In the corner, if you tele whiff into the corner it actually reverses your inputs. You can do some weird stuff but it's honestly not worth ending in tele in the corner.

Next time to do tele in the corner, just jump out of the corner and watch the weird jump Mileena does, yep.
Yeah...for me I basically threw the idea of max damage combos with Mileena out the window. To me, her damage sucks balls whether you're doing max damage combos or not, so I figured it'd be better to go for setups. As for the opponent tech rolling, there are combos listed in the corner that reverse them even after they tech roll. I tried jumping out on some teleport whiff combos in the corner, and I did get the weird Mileena jump sometimes, but I don't believe it occured on these combos. However, I won't have a PS3 with me until Saturday, so I can't confirm.

I do happen to have combos that reversed their wakeup in open space even after they tech roll, but the fail rate was too high. So I will post more reliable setups on Saturday. The original idea I had was to use these tech roll combos first in the match. Once the you see the opponent stops waking up after tech rolls, then you use the other ones. Since the tech roll open space combos are missing, the mind game of reversing their wakeup isn't complete. However, once these are discovered I'm sure it will at least be slightly useful, as you will be able to reverse their wakeup regardless of their actions after your combo.

Thanks for your input.

Dizz_88

Noob
Nice post. I don't understand why a lot of people do this one combo u4, u4, b1+4, 112, roll..etc. When you can do u4, u4, b1+4, 4, roll..etc. It does the same amount of damage. Same thing with b3~ex roll, u4, b1 4, 1 1 2~roll, etc. You could do b3~ex roll, u4, b1 4, 4, roll, etc. Its also easier to execute the combo that way.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
Im gonna have to give some this a few trys, those wake ups can be a pain.