What's new

Video/Tutorial BABALITY: A Mortal Kombat Documentary surrounding the VSM vs Midwest Rivalry 5v5

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
I [Slips] was recently interviewed about the classic Valley Stream Monsters vs. Midwest grudge match back in the 2011 MK9 days by @piemaster. Well-made video and a glimpse of the one of, if not the first, heated rivalries this community got hype for.

So, if you're newer to this community, you DEFINITELY need to check out this interview.

Enjoy!

edited/promoted by STORMS*

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
loved it... but a real shame there was no interviewers with the other players... you should seriously consider contacting them and interviewing them and making a new cut.

Try and get the players and maybe a few comments from other scene guys.. like Tom and Pig and stuff.

piemaster

mortal hater
loved it... but a real shame there was no interviewers with the other players... you should seriously consider contacting them and interviewing them and making a new cut.

Try and get the players and maybe a few comments from other scene guys.. like Tom and Pig and stuff.
Believe me I want to. But I work 45 hours a week and I’m in school. And even tho I work so much I don’t really have money to travel. We’re here in St. Louis so it’s kindof far l for anyone else involved. I would like to someday do another video about the mk9 scene and get more people involved tho

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Believe me I want to. But I work 45 hours a week and I’m in school. And even tho I work so much I don’t really have money to travel. We’re here in St. Louis so it’s kindof far l for anyone else involved. I would like to someday do another video about the mk9 scene and get more people involved tho
just a thought... but maybe just email them.. most people have cameras on their phone and stuff.. just say "tell the story and send me the video"... just an idea.. but anyway.. great vid I really enjoyed it.

There was really nothing I knew about like this in MKX.. the only thing that was close was the Forever King vs WoundCowboy thing at Yomi... which was legit awesome.

piemaster

mortal hater
just a thought... but maybe just email them.. most people have cameras on their phone and stuff.. just say "tell the story and send me the video"... just an idea.. but anyway.. great vid I really enjoyed it.

There was really nothing I knew about like this in MKX.. the only thing that was close was the Forever King vs WoundCowboy thing at Yomi... which was legit awesome.
Oh I agree I think that’s a great idea. I just don’t really have time :/ but thank you! I appreciate that a lot.

Hm I don’t know anything about that rivalry that’d be cool to see something about it!

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Well done! This brings back memories.

One personal thing about this exhibition, it was a huge honor to be chosen by 16 bit for it. At the time, I was a random, or at best a slightly known player from being hyped up. I won some locals, placed at regionals and got 13th at Season's Beatings 2011 which was a notable major.

Being apart of an exhibition that involved mostly major tournament winners/people that placed top 3 often, was crazy to me. Even though I got better placements past then, at this point in time I was out classed.

It may sound weird since I got bodied and my team lost pretty badly, but the weekend of Final Round was when I started actually becoming a top player, in some ways. So in a weird way I think back on the weekend fondly.

piemaster

mortal hater

One personal thing about this exhibition, it was a huge honor to be chosen by 16 bit for it. At the time, I was a random, or at best a slightly known player from being hyped up. I won some locals, placed at regionals and got 13th at Season's Beatings 2011 which was a notable major.

Being apart of an exhibition that involved mostly major tournament winners/people that placed top 3 often, was crazy to me. Even though I got better placements past then, at this point in time I was out classed.

It may sound weird since I got bodied and my team lost pretty badly, but the weekend of Final Round was when I started actually becoming a top player, in some ways. So in a weird way I think back on the weekend fondly.
There’s so many interesting stories to be told around the community at this point in its life, yours being apart of it. It would be awesome to one day try to do a video about mk9s life as a whole

piemaster

mortal hater
I don’t know how this works but if anyone could help to get this on the front page that’d be awesome

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.

It's interesting the different paradigms everyone comes from. Having a voice in the community and a reputation I was too proud of to begin with made that weekend brutal. To me it felt like a nightmare of public humiliation and a lot of mojo was lost at the time lol. Good character building XP though looking back now.

You definitely rose up for the midwest after that and took care of bidness. :cool:

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Fantastic job @piemaster! I remember this well, along with the Brady/DJT mirror, other regional matches, KTP, and the PL story line. It was a hype time that seems to be missing nowadays. Injustice 1 had similar hype, but it kind of died off during MKX. Taking a look at these boards and how less active they are compared to 4-6 years ago is telling. Hoping there is a massive bounce back with MK11.

Last edited:

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
That 5v5 along with the Final Round that followed remains one of my all time favourite tournament viewing experiences. The scene was so exciting back then.

Really enjoyed watching this.

Aramonde

Noob
This was fucking godlike!!! I've never seen this before and even tho it happened years ago i was praying for Detroitballin to not lose lol to Senior.

I do miss watching competitive MK9, i started watching it near the beginning of 2013. Even tho watching Cyrax and Kabal was cancer the rest of the cast was so fun to watch.

Whatever happened to CD Senior? I know of his little bro but not him.