What's new

Question - Mystic B123 vs F21D2

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
So I was labbing up some Mystic Ermac, trying to figure out what this character was about, and I noticed there were 2 really solid strings in his arsenal that he could use to pressure opponents on knockdown: B123 and F21D2. However, whenever I started watching match footage of top Ermac, I saw that B123 was used much more, with F21D2 only being used in combos. A quick comparison:

B123 has faster start-up, is a high starter, has a better anti-air hitbox, has better stagger potential with B12, and has 0 gaps.

F21D2 is a mid starter, can be easily hit confirmed anywhere, leads to more damage and has a gap before the third part of the string. However, with the loss of armored launchers and the inability of any character to backdash and punish this string (to my knowledge), this gap doesn't seem to be as big an issue.

So my question to the Ermac community is why B123 is used almost exclusively, and why F21D2 is almost never used in oki/neutral.

Wigy

There it is...
Dont play him but isnt f21 like -13 and theres a gap before the d2.

I.E punishable by any armour with 13 frames startup? -or however negative it is.

As stated F21D2 has a gap that every character just about can back dash. You're also still easily able to armor it or even Option Select it if the Ermac mixes in F212. It may not lead to as much damage as it did pre-patch, but the hole is still there.

B124 is a better string for the reasons stated above. A 9 frame slightly advancing high that is just as hit confirmable (in my opinion) leads to similar levels of damage. It also does a better job of trip guarding an opponent if they try to jump out. F21D2 only hits airborne opponents at particular angles, hence why it's important to consider F2D2. B1 however will give you ample time to catch an airborne opponent after jump with D1 xx insert whatever you like.

F2 by itself is a decent stagger. Being -3 on block it can open the door for Grabs, or a cross up when used sparingly.

B12 however is simply better, faster, better AA hit box, better trip guard hit box & just as safe on block.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
Yea I have grown to use B1 over F2 a lot more. I still feel like I'm throwing too much, but I'll get the staggers down. Thanks!