What's new

Breakthrough - Smoke B1 Smokebomb Set Up (Character Specific)

xSamuel

Player of All, Master of None.
So here's the deal. Most of us now know that the meterless vortex is gender dependent. Well I found that at certain spacing a low blocking female may still not have the smoke bomb combo from b1. I also found that some low blocking males, at certain distances, will allow b1 x smoke bomb to connect. The spacing is set up by ending your vortex in f2. While this doesn't guarantee the 50/50, it does allow b1 smoke bomb to connect without meter on the listed male and female characters. Also, if your opponent is backdashing or poking out of your 50/50 then you can do f4d12 to punish the opponent and catch backdashes (caught Triborgs and punished). Be aware, however, they still do have the option to armor through so this is not a guaranteed setup like 3 or 21. Just some tech for the fellow Smoke players.

Works
Alien
Kano
Sonya
Erron
Kitana (At any spacing)
Scorpion
Sub Zero
Reptile
Mileena (At any spacing)
D'vorah
Cassie
Raiden (Wait a second)
Jacqui (Wait a second)
Quan Chi
Kung Jin (Wait a second)
Tanya
Triborg

Doesn't Work
Leatherface
Predator
Kung Lao
Shinnok
Jax
Johnny
Kenshi
Liu Kang
Ermac
Kotal Khan
Ferra/Torr
Takeda
Goro
Tremor
Bo Rai Cho

Last edited:

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Nice work, keep grinding the good grind! :)

Paste this in the OP please, it's for my sake.

Works

Alien
Kano
Sonya
Erron
Kitana (At any spacing)
Scorpion
Sub Zero
Reptile
Mileena (At any spacing)
D'vorah
Cassie
Raiden (Wait a second)
Jacqui (Wait a second)
Quan Chi
Kung Jin (Wait a second)
Tanya
Triborg

Doesn't Work
Leatherface
Predator
Kung Lao
Shinnok
Jax
Johnny
Kenshi
Liu Kang
Ermac
Kotal Khan
Ferra/Torr
Takeda
Goro
Tremor
Bo Rai Cho

Last edited:

xSamuel

Are you asking why this set up only works on half of the cast or why B1 smoke bomb isn't a thing to begin with? If it's the former, I have no idea but I can say that the spacing is very critical for most of the characters that this connects on and those it doesn't it won't connect anyways. If it's the latter, I have no idea because the rest of the DLC seems to have some solid dirt themselves. @HolidaycSin

Are you asking why this set up only works on half of the cast or why B1 smoke bomb isn't a thing to begin with? If it's the former, I have no idea but I can say that the spacing is very critical for most of the characters that this connects on and those it doesn't it won't connect anyways. If it's the latter, I have no idea because the rest of the DLC seems to have some solid dirt themselves. @HolidaycSin
Why b1 isnt a consistent thing without meter is confusing because it works for me around 8/10 times in the corner, but everywhere else i use a meter because of the weird timing. But knowing the characters this works on i wont use a meter thanks to this thread.

xSamuel

In the corner b1 smoke bomb should combo. This thread is just for mid screen set ups to try and preserve meter because Smoke is so meter hungry.

No problem, just make sure to go in and try it because on some characters the timing is very specific to get it to combo (Jason).
@HolidaycSin

Redux

Ex Phase
The spacing for alien is ridiculously specific, it only works if I step forward once from the start of the round and do b1 smoke bomb. I hope nrs fixes whatever they intended to work as.

nugava

Noob
The smoke bomb is not functioning properly... Whatever, be a man, and use b1 or b3 into EX teledrop... atpRtsd...

xSamuel

@nugava lmao. I just do b1 spear, take my mediocre damage, and cry in the corner when Bo/Leatherface do 40 plus meterless.

@Redux that's the same with most of the characters that this works on. It's basically just a cheat so we don't have to be godlike at spacing :)

Jayroc

Hat tier ftw
If he could just wake up with Fade-port armor i would trade b1 bomb being broke all day lol

Jayroc

Hat tier ftw
Those frames are kinda weak from just alittle labbing I've done. I might be wrong but it isn't very reliable IMO

Jayroc

Hat tier ftw
I think ex smoke away/forward was intended to be the goto wakeup but not working right like some other smoke stuff

Reactions: Yak
I think ex smoke away/forward was intended to be the goto wakeup but not working right like some other smoke stuff
Lol thats what im talking about the smoke away which is why is said both (forward/away) but for some reason i said ex fade

Yak

Noob
Hit confirming his back one is difficult at least for me, I just ex smoke bomb usually for the + frames.

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
List update:

Works (crouchblock)

Alien
Kano
Sonya
Erron
Kitana
Scorpion
Sub Zero
Reptile
Mileena
D'vorah
Cassie
Raiden
Jacqui
Quan Chi
Kung Jin
Tanya
Triborg

F2 ender (crouchblock)
(video below)
Predator
Johnny
Kung Lao

Neutral Crouch (pokes included)
Shinnok
Takeda
Ermac
Kenshi
Jax
Liu Kang (completely random)

Doesn't Work
Leatherface
Kotal Khan
Ferra/Torr
Goro
Tremor
Bo Rai Cho

Will update if I come across anything new.

Btw, some of these have really weird requirements, for some B1-Smoke Bomb raw will rarely work but it will work 100% after any ender, also it's completely random for Liu Kang (but does require neutral crouch).

Video for F2 ender: