What's new

Tech - Ferra/Torr B1,2,1 Anti-Wakeup Tech

Forr

Variationless Ferra Torr
In MKX every character has at least one wakeup attack with a single hit of armor ( not including x-rays) as long as they are willing to spend a bar of meter. The outliers being goro's Ex punchwalk, which seems to have multiple hits of armor on wakeup, and Lackey Torr's charge, which seems to gain invincibilty frames on startup. Of course there are many different ways to beat wakeups, but most of them are only a counter for a specific wakeup. In which case you are generally punished if you make the wrong read.

The theory behind this idea was to use an "armor breaking move", which is a multi hitting attack. Ferra/Torr's multi hitting move is their F2, but the second hit will only connect if it launches which the armor stops from happening. So that brings us up to how all Ferra/Torr variations can dominate certain characters on knockdown with the B121 string.

After a knockdown you can start the string right before the opponent wakesup, with enough practice on the timing you can essentially get rid of most of the startup time of the initial hit. So when the oppenent wakesup the B1 breaks there armor immediately, and then the follow up 21 will land which can be hit confirmed into (1.Lackey: DB2ex for full combo 2. Ruthless: Ferra Toss 3. Vicious: Boss Toss.) B121 is also neutral on block and in Lackey with a 5f d1, even if they don't wakeup you can get straight into your pressure.

If the oppenent delays getting up they will still be hit by the back end of the string leaving you neutral.

I tested this on every character's armored wakeup attacks(except for shinnok cause my data got currupted) until I found a move that this method won't work on and here are the results.

All 3 variations, all armored specials, stuffed by B121:
D'vorah
Erron Black
Kenshi
Mileena
Quan Chi
Predator ( Tested by @Durandal)
Tremor ( Tested by @Durandal )

Single variations, all armored specials stuffed by B121:
Kotal Kahn Blood/War God
Takeda Lasher

Some armored specials that can't be stuffed:
Cassie-- Multiple wakeups
Ermac-- Force Port
Ferra/Torr mirror-- Command Grabs
Jacqui-- Forces Charge
Jax-- Dash fist
Johnny -- Eclipse kick
Goro -- Punchwalk
Kano -- Up Ball
Katana -- Rising Fan
Kotal Sun God-- Command grab
Kung Jin-- Fly kick
Kung Lao-- Vortex
Liu Kang-- Flying Dragon Strike
Raiden -- Thunder Fly
Reptile-- Slide
Scorpion-- Teleport
Sonya Blade-- Flying Kick
Sub zero -- slide
Takeda Ronin/Shiria Ryu-- Double ryu kan, teleport

Note: Mileena's regular roll will low profile B121. Credit to @WiseTree

Most of the cast has limited wakeup options that can beat Torr's B121 and the majority of the ones that do are easily full combo punished on block. Hopefully all of you can find use of this and if nothing else our opponents can have one more thing to worry about on knockdown.

Edit: Some wakeups are easy to time, while others have smaller windows if you want to stuff them. Also a few moves i listed that couldn't be stuffed might be able to, but the window of execution is to small for me to really consider it.

Thanks to doctor stabs for recording.

Last edited:

Faust

Why you look like we?
Good stuff. I saw Biohazard making a lot of use of b1,2,1 on wakeup. With vicious/ruthless you also get a 50/50 high low at the end of the string using db2b or bf2. Seemed to work really well for him.

Kamikaze_Highlander

PSN: Windude008
timed well in Ruthless and Vicious Tuck 'n' charge can also work. Does B1,2,1 get Erron's slide too? You did put it in your all specials category. if not a well timed bf3 will work too, but you may be sacrificing position this way.

Forr

Variationless Ferra Torr
timed well in Ruthless and Vicious Tuck 'n' charge can also work. Does B1,2,1 get Erron's slide too? You did put it in your all specials category. if not a well timed bf3 will work too, but you may be sacrificing position this way.
Yes it can stuff errons slide as well.

Durandal

I only play weird, underpowered characters. :(
Hey, please add Predator to the "all variations, all wakeups get stuffed" list. ;). If Pred is on his/her back and has less than 3 bars, they really have to hold some stuff.

Iced_Taz

Characters loyalist :)
Welcome everyone,

Few weeks ago I start to play Ferra/Torr. I think they are great character. I like to play rush style and Ferra/Torr are nice hybrid character (Vicious variation).

During my last online fights I discovered that b1212 string can break some armor moves. So far I break Erron Black ex sand toss and Quan Chi ex. sky drop. It's not working on Kung Lao ex spin (oh really ? Kung Lao and weak points ?:) ) and I will test it more. Once I even eat Millena's ex roll ball.

In my opinion everything depend on timing.

B1212 it's a great tool for mid screen and corner pressure. You can mix b121 low Ferra throw or overhead Ferra throw. When your oponent start to respect your moves you can also add someting more like 1,1 ~Ferra throw mix up, throw or b3+4. If you want be greedy you can mix between F2 or B23 2+4 for combo :) Your oponent will expect Ferra throw :)

Soon I'll post some videos from my fights. With B121 you can eat a lot of your oponent health :)

@Iced_Taz, hello! Your thread has been merged with the "Ferra/Torr Anti-Wakeup Tech" thread because they cover the same thing about the string being able to break the opponent's armor. I renamed the original thread to "B1,2,1 Anti-Wakeup Tech" for less confusion.

Thanks for trying to help. Even if the tech has already been posted, it's good that you managed to find it on your own!

WiseTree

Best Of Worst
Would B121 also blow up mileena's regular roll? I.e. since B1 is high (I think?) and she goes low-profile, would the second hit have enough time to connect?

Iced_Taz

Characters loyalist :)
@Iced_Taz, hello! Your thread has been merged with the "Ferra/Torr Anti-Wakeup Tech" thread because they cover the same thing about the string being able to break the opponent's armor. I renamed the original thread to "B1,2,1 Anti-Wakeup Tech" for less confusion.

Thanks for trying to help. Even if the tech has already been posted, it's good that you managed to find it on your own!
Ok thx :) I thought I discovered something new, but TYM is always one step before me :)

Durandal

I only play weird, underpowered characters. :(
Please add Tremor to the "everything other than xray gets broken by b121" list. :D

The only one that even takes any timing at all is Rock Blast, but that does still get broken without too much effort.

WiseTree

Best Of Worst
B1 doesn't hit mileena if she wakes up with a regular roll. In case anyone's wondering. Does anyone else feel that it would be useful to mention it in the OP?