What's new

AVGN Covers some MK1 Ports

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
this guys is still around? wow.. he's been doing this for a while eh?

Mgo

Noob
I did. It's nice they included the Midway's patch, but PC version is worse than PS1 and N64 overall.

how its the PC version worse than PS1? I though PS1 had the crappiest graphics of all these versions, also they changed the fxs XD. N64 of course if the best of these 3

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
At this point I dont even want the arcade version I wouldn't mind of course i just want nrs to port usbthe N64 version on the switch updated with more modes and netplay.

ded

Elder God
how its the PC version worse than PS1? I though PS1 had the crappiest graphics of all these versions, also they changed the fxs XD. N64 of course if the best of these 3
With the modern ps1 emulators you can enhance it and it will look way better than PC. PC version also is the winner of graphic glitches, as the floor is never flat and you will see missing polygons and arena parts much more often than in the other versions.

To be honest, all home ports are complete crap, compared with the Arcade version, but the PC also has sped up gameplay almost impossible to react adequately in critical situations.

Reactions: Mgo

MKF30

I'd like NRS to offer for switch owners at least both arcade ports(for all consoles) but for switch N64 with online as bonus.

The N64 may not be the arcade of course but it definitely doesn't suck. I don't know why they didn't put mk 4 on the 1up machine.

What's worse you think, ps1 mk 4 or mk gold? Lol

Last edited:

Mgo

Noob
With the modern ps1 emulators you can enhance it and it will look way better than PC. PC version also is the winner of graphic glitches, as the floor is never flat and you will see missing polygons and arena parts much more often than in the other versions.

To be honest, all home ports are complete crap, compared with the Arcade version, but the PC also has sped up gameplay almost impossible to react adequately in critical situations.
Thanks for the response. I was watching a mk4 pc video on youtube half sleep and though the speed was increased but the video was a normal speed lol. Didnt know mk4 ps1 had better graphics than pc, i just noticed the sound is worse. Arcade version is the best, is a pity it doesnt have Goro on it

MKF30

@C-Sword Not a bad video, but I think I like AVGN more due to better personality and more focuses on MK than other games besides MK during that era like the vid you posted.

I think the guy you posted is more of a better historic MK video which there's quite a few of them out there as well.

ded

Elder God
I'd like NRS to offer for switch owners at least both arcade ports(for all consoles) but for switch N64 with online as bonus.

The N64 may not be the arcade of course but it definitely doesn't suck. I don't know why they didn't put mk 4 on the 1up machine.

What's worse you think, ps1 mk 4 or mk gold? Lol
MK Gold PAL Red Disc is pretty close to the arcade when it comes to gameplay (excluding mkg brokenness of course).

Regarding the DF Retro video, i actually enjoyed it. Wish they included MAT Deluxe Edition and Tiger Barcodzz, as well as mentioning the small differences of the Arcade collections and MAT on different platforms, but overall the vid was very detailed.

MKF30

MK Gold PAL Red Disc is pretty close to the arcade when it comes to gameplay (excluding mkg brokenness of course).

Regarding the DF Retro video, i actually enjoyed it. Wish they included MAT Deluxe Edition and Tiger Barcodzz, as well as mentioning the small differences of the Arcade collections and MAT on different platforms, but overall the vid was very detailed.
Yeah I have one version I think the yellow for MKG. Wasn't there also two versions of MKT for PSX? I seem to remember something about that IIRC

Yeah I've seen his vids, very informative and documentary esq. I think ACGN is smart as well, being an 80's kid like myself I can relate to him because I'm old too lol. Yeah I noticed DF Retro missed a few versions that AVGN covered lol those tigers...man and they're bringing them back. I never liked the card ones. I liked the other versions where it was just a straight up version. Also, how was MKT and UMK3 on The saturn? I wanted to buy it but they stopped selling it by the time I got around to it. I notice they always compare the other versions but ignore that one lol

xKMMx

Banned
He lost his way for a while when he ran out of games to cap on. FOr a while he was legit doing board game reviews and I was feeling so bad for him cause he is one of the first Youtubers to put together a real channel with good content and I loved seeing him get pissed about the same shit in NES games that used to get me raging.
But then I saw how much he is worth and I felt less bad for him. Glad he is still around. I watch all of his monster madness episodes every October.

Mgo

Noob
and it have better graphics than arcade when running it on NullDC emulator i think

ded

Elder God
MKG runs at 640x480, while the arcade runs at 400x254. There are also some enhancements on the arenas like Elder Gods. However, ZEUS provide some unique effects, not seen in MK Gold and if mame emulates the game properly some day, it might be possible to enhance the graphics via emulation, as the arcade models for me, looked better than MK Gold.

@MKF30 UMK3 for saturn differs if you pick NTSC or PAL version. PAL is extremely broken and allows SNES like combos. NTSC is more balanced, but have that MKT N64 kinda feeling - similar speed, whiffed combos are continuing to next hit, different hit boxes (Nightwolf can inf more characters and some hits just go through the opponent without hitting them), missed and misplaced sounds and music tracks and etc. It was still decent port for its time tho.

MKT for PSX had two versions, where the initial one was also very glitchy and buggy, similar to the UMK3 PAL ones. Then, they re-released it as greatest hits (called platinum for PAL region) with fixed gravity and gameplay. MKT for Saturn is decent, if you exclude the missing sounds, transparency issues and some slow downs here and there. I have not noticed any differences between PAL and NTSC MKT Saturn.

MKF30

MKG runs at 640x480, while the arcade runs at 400x254. There are also some enhancements on the arenas like Elder Gods. However, ZEUS provide some unique effects, not seen in MK Gold and if mame emulates the game properly some day, it might be possible to enhance the graphics via emulation, as the arcade models for me, looked better than MK Gold.

@MKF30 UMK3 for saturn differs if you pick NTSC or PAL version. PAL is extremely broken and allows SNES like combos. NTSC is more balanced, but have that MKT N64 kinda feeling - similar speed, whiffed combos are continuing to next hit, different hit boxes (Nightwolf can inf more characters and some hits just go through the opponent without hitting them), missed and misplaced sounds and music tracks and etc. It was still decent port for its time tho.

MKT for PSX had two versions, where the initial one was also very glitchy and buggy, similar to the UMK3 PAL ones. Then, they re-released it as greatest hits (called platinum for PAL region) with fixed gravity and gameplay. MKT for Saturn is decent, if you exclude the missing sounds, transparency issues and some slow downs here and there. I have not noticed any differences between PAL and NTSC MKT Saturn.
Oh I see so another words it sounds like the Mortal Kombat gold and the arcade version of MK for would be comparable graphically.

Oh OK so that’s interesting so another words like the ultimate MK three for the Sega Saturn would be similar to the 16 bit versions and have some broken stuff to those versions, that’s interesting but would have the feel of Mortal Kombat trilogy doesn’t sound too bad honestly. Though I do recall reading about sound issues for the sega versions not always syncing properly. I also remember playing both versions of the MK for that or the loading times were ridiculously long for the PSX and it times even froze the game with fatalities, load times etc

Yeah that’s right I remember that I have one of the versions a mate I may have had two of them actually but I think I lost one or it’s in storage somewhere. I remember mkt for both n64 and psx being busted for different reasons, I personally preferred the n64 version overall but both were fun.

ded

Elder God
Well, here is a direct footage from an arcade without any enhancements:

It's very noticeable, especially in the endings how ZEUS effects are applied. I have some promotional MK4 Arcade screenshots, which if enhanced (similar on how emulators enhance graphics) will look really decent, even by today's standard.

Mgo

Noob
what is btw the best emu to run mk gold nowadays? emu and version