What's new

Average age of the Top 8 at Evo

xKMMx

Banned
Is there still a community online for Dragon ball? Been thinking about trying it out. Seems like a fun game even though I know nothing about Dragon Ball.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Is there still a community online for Dragon ball? Been thinking about trying it out. Seems like a fun game even though I know nothing about Dragon Ball.
Uh yeah. DBFZ is still trucking along just fine. You might say I got the inside line on that one.

Also shame on every game but samsho. Anyone under 30 playing a fighting game is a child!!!!!!!!!!

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
I'd say your reactions peak around your early 20's so this makes sense. Samsho is slower paced game so that's why Jwong and the older crowd are doing well at that game. Maybe I got a better chance at Samsho lol

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I'd say your reactions peak around your early 20's so this makes sense. Samsho is slower paced game so that's why Jwong and the older crowd are doing well at that game. Maybe I got a better chance at Samsho lol
This totally isn't it btw.

Yeah your reactions degrade a tiny tiny amount as you get older, I am in my mid 30's and I am just as fast as I have ever been personally. Fighting games are rarely ever about raw reactions to boot, as most things are anticipated and acted on, rather than sick reactions 90% of the time.

The thing is people just get older. As you get older you tend to take on more responsibilities and have less time for games. Most everyone I know in my age bracket who stopped playing, #1 cause is having kids, #2 cause is their job takes up too much time.

Age absolutely isn't the factor in the end that stops people, you should see Sako, dude is in his 40's and had his best year ever in Street Fighter just last year. Commitments are the killers.

Thankfully im gonna be old and fat and play videogames forever like a kid so I don't have grow up so its not gonna stop me :)

xKMMx

Banned

Yeah your reactions degrade a tiny tiny amount as you get older, I am in my mid 30's and I am just as fast as I have ever been personally. Fighting games are rarely ever about raw reactions to boot, as most things are anticipated and acted on, rather than sick reactions 90% of the time.

The thing is people just get older. As you get older you tend to take on more responsibilities and have less time for games. Most everyone I know in my age bracket who stopped playing, #1 cause is having kids, #2 cause is their job takes up too much time.

Age absolutely isn't the factor in the end that stops people, you should see Sako, dude is in his 40's and had his best year ever in Street Fighter just last year. Commitments are the killers.

Thankfully im gonna be old and fat and play videogames forever like a kid so I don't have grow up so its not gonna stop me :)
This is totally why I'm not better than I am. I apply myself fully to learning and playing to the best of my ability while I am playing. That being said my job and responsibilities as a father limit my playing time significantly. Id say I get about 5 hours a week total. It takes me weeks to gain a level of competence with a character.

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
But how do you explain people like Daigo not dominating SF anymore. As far as I know gaming is his career yet he is not dominating anymore. Any thoughts on that?

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
But how do you explain people like Daigo not dominating SF anymore. As far as I know gaming is his career yet he is not dominating anymore. Any thoughts on that?
Daigo is good at a very specific playstyle, which is not supported by SFV.
Like I said, last year Sako fucking crushed it in SFV and won/placed well in an absurd about of CPT events, and he's way older than Daigo is. Not every game supports every playstyle. There are many in the SF community who deride SFV for not being a very "street fighter" game, which I agree with myself.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
It is my dream that all the oldheads can have as much time as they need to practice, bring the kids to grand finals and win just like Sako did

That way we will dominate forever and the younger generation can never have a chance to escape our shadow ahahaHAHAHAHHA :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

xKMMx

Banned
Daigo is good at a very specific playstyle, which is not supported by SFV.
Like I said, last year Sako fucking crushed it in SFV and won/placed well in an absurd about of CPT events, and he's way older than Daigo is. Not every game supports every playstyle. There are many in the SF community who deride SFV for not being a very "street fighter" game, which I agree with myself.
I was gonna say a lot of older SF pros were very vocal about how the changes made to SFV from SF4 were not favorable. Aside from them having a real issue with the "accessibility" of combo links becoming much more lenient a lot of them stated they didn't like the style of the game.

xKMMx

Banned
I wonder what the current generation would have pegged their losses on when they didn't have frame data to base their scrub quotes on. My guess is something like "block spamming."

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I was gonna say a lot of older SF pros were very vocal about how the changes made to SFV from SF4 were not favorable. Aside from them having a real issue with the "accessibility" of combo links becoming much more lenient a lot of them stated they didn't like the style of the game.
Well the links being made easier is a very big positive to me. There is no place for 1f links in fighting games anymore. That said SFV is the most aggressive SF ever made, and by a lot. SF was always prided on a bit of a slower pace/heavier neutral emphasis and offense and defense being equally strong. SFV is plus frames, throw loops, and v-trigger robbery comebacks all day long. I hope SF6 dials offense back a notch.

xKMMx

Banned
Well the links being made easier is a very big positive to me. There is no place for 1f links in fighting games anymore. That said SFV is the most aggressive SF ever made, and by a lot. SF was always prided on a bit of a slower pace/heavier neutral emphasis and offense and defense being equally strong. SFV is plus frames, throw loops, and v-trigger robbery comebacks all day long. I hope SF6 dials offense back a notch.
I wouldn't know I gave it a go for a bit but in my experience the net code was terrible.

People ignoring that age is a huge factor (among others) is just another example of human self motivation without too much logic aka religion and so on.

Of course, age is a factor. This is high level play and very competitive environment. The changes that happen between 20 to 30 are enough to leave you in disadvantage.

I really think that reaction timing and IQ have a lot to do in sucess in FGS, as it is in life, since is an intellectual activity.
The ability to identify patterns and adapt to it is related to IQ.

SinkFla

Noob

I need to find that Buscemi pic and edit it to say "Hello, how do you do fellow Old Man?" lol. You are 100% correct. It's nigh impossible put a lot of energy or spend copious amounts of time to become extremely competent when you've got jobs, kids, other major responsibilities life throws as you when you get older. Source: My own shitty life.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Well actually the age does make a difference with reflexes hand eye coordination for instance in a video game it's harder to calculate but this is easily proven via life tests physically.

Such as baseball hitting it, no way a 45 year old will react faster to a 94 mph pitch than say a 23 year old. Driving is also another prime example of older people react way slower than younger drivers. Not saying younger or someone any age cant be a poor driver, just talking on the reflexes, hand coordination angle. Age definitely plays a role in things that require on the spot and fast decision making.