What's new

Avengers: Endgame Questions (Megaspoiler Alert)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Not necessarily, there is likely the chance that he just never interacted with anyone dealing with MCU events. (You know besides Peggy Carter) But as we saw if he went to the past, his past self was still in the ice, and probably just existed alongside himself as an old man. Like when young Cap talks to old Peggy in Cap-2, she had already been married and had kids, but never mentioned with who, could have been she had kids with Cap and knew they were together when she was talking to young Cap who had no idea.

The whole ending was weird though. How did Cap manage to stay in that specific timeline? I could have sworn them mention earlier in the movie that it would be split off.
The problem with this is the fact that the other Cap didn't come back through the portal. The old one just suddenly appeared as if he'd already been there.

So in the present timeline there's still only one Cap, he's just old.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
The problem with this is the fact that the other Cap didn't come back through the portal. The old one just suddenly appeared as if he'd already been there.

So in the present timeline there's still only one Cap, he's just old.
Right he lived out the rest of his life as an aging man from the 1970's or whenever he decided to stay. But what it is implying is that Old Cap is stayed in the past and grew old and just traveled to meet them there. Which implies that he had already been there.

Which would mean that he just lived through the rest of time, and all the events still happened as they would to lead them to that point. At some point there were 2 caps, the one unfrozen who we got to know through the last decade of movies, and the old cap stayed in the past and just chilled out. Cap was always going to back in the past and live to the present, meaning that we'll always be left with the one.

Feel free to correct me or call out my wrong points in this discussion, I've only seen the movie once and this was the most confusing part for me to understand.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Right he lived out the rest of his life as an aging man from the 1970's or whenever he decided to stay. But what it is implying is that Old Cap is stayed in the past and grew old and just traveled to meet them there. Which implies that he had already been there.

Which would mean that he just lived through the rest of time, and all the events still happened as they would to lead them to that point. At some point there were 2 caps, the one unfrozen who we got to know through the last decade of movies, and the old cap stayed in the past and just chilled out. Cap was always going to back in the past and live to the present, meaning that we'll always be left with the one.

Feel free to correct me or call out my wrong points in this discussion, I've only seen the movie once and this was the most confusing part for me to understand.
Yeah, but that wouldn't explain where the second Cap is -- and both old Cap living all the way to the present or the younger cap never returning somehow would both have pretty drastic effects.

Something has to give in that explanation. It can't be like "Well there's 2 Captain Americas when it's convenient, but sometimes now there's only one and it's no big deal".

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Also don’t forget there’s plenty of MCU movies to come. I expect the next big threat for everyone to be Galactus. I think there will be a bunch of standalone movies again (already confirmed at least 3), and I expect the Galactus arc to be the last one. That’s assuming the next threat even IS Galactus, it just makes the most sense imo.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
My take on it is this:

Black Widow's death is tied to retrieving the Soul stone, so even though it is returned it doen not mean the price paid to acquire the stone is reversed. Gamora being there is the one from 2014.

As for how he returned the Reality Stone, hard to tell unless that device Rocket used to extract it from Jane can also...re-insert it? Lol idk to be honest.

Stark potentially flying away with the gauntlet doesn't sound feasible only due to the amount of effort it took to just wear it, let alone wield it. If he removed one stone you would still have to fight a Thanos that has 5 which is basically a losing battle after what happened last time.

The two Caps is an interesting one. There would be the one in the ice and the one in the future. I am guessing Steve lived the apple pie life with Peggy and grew old with her. So when iced Cap comes out, Steve as we know it is already an old man. Nothing in his power set says that he doesn't age.

The last point. Remember Tony said he had to keep everything he has at all costs. So time travelling to prevent Thanos from doing the snap in the first place might change things to where he doesn't have a daughter.
Time traveling wouldn’t change that according to Banner. He doesn’t change the future if he does something in the past.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
You’ll have to pardon me because I’m not super up on the fine details of Marvel lore, but: How did Thanos manage to stomp half the Avengers, alone, with no stones?

When he manhandled Hulk and Thor in the last movie, it seemed like “Ok, he’s strong and he has two stones, so that makes sense” (I think it was the Power stone and one other stone? Can’t remember).

But in Endgame he flies in from the past, zero stones, and bodies the Avengers crew by himself like it’s no big deal.

So I’m wondering if someone who follows the comics can explain this to me :)
Didn't read all of the other comments, so maybe your question has already been answered, but:

Thanos is from the planet Titan and belongs to the race of the Eternals, who are capable of manipulating matter in various effects. That alone makes him quite powerful. On top of that Thanos has the Deviant gene inside him, which makes him something like a mutant of his own race (same with regular humans in the Marvel universe and mutants like Wolverine or Colossus). The Deviant gene makes Thanos even more powerful. And on top of all that Thanos has enhanced his own body with various kinds of magic spells and cybernetic parts to become even more powerful. He is obsessed with Lady Death (the personification of the concept of death in Marvel comics) and he always seeks for more power in order to cause more destruction and death in order to impress her.

In mainstream superhero comics power levels are usually split up in various tiers. You have the meta tier for example. A character like Angel (the flying mutant) is considered a low metahuman. A character like Spider-Man is considered a mid metahuman. A character like Captain Marvel is considered a high metahuman.
After the meta humans you have heralds, ranging from low heralds to high heralds. In the high herald tier you usually have characters like Thor, Silver Surfer, Superman and many others.
Then there is the next, somewhat in-official tier, which is known ans the trans tier. It's the link between heralds and skyfathers. Someone like Odin, Thor's daddy, would be considered a high skyfather. That's a character, who can perform magic on galaxy sized scale. High heralds are more or less limited to planetary level and a little bit above levels of power. Thanos is in the middle. He is powerful enough to wipe the floor with pretty much any high herald and a bunch of lower to mid trans tier characters, but on average he losses to every low to mid skyfather and gets stomped into the ground by someone like Odin.

The full Infinity Gauntlet grants Thanos universal power. With that he is capable of easily defeating abstract concepts such as Death, Infinity and others. They have universal power as well, but they're limited to their own concept. They're basically split up amongst themselves and all make one whole. The Infinity Gauntlet makes Thanos that one whole. However, he is still only limited to that one universe, since the Infinity Gauntlet can't influence anything outside that one universe.

It's also worth being mentioned that there are omega level mutants, who are complete anomalies and have FAR more power than the Infinity Gauntlet. Scarlet Witch for example, at the height of her powers, was affecting reality on a multiversal scale. She wasn't just limited to her own universe. She was messing up everything left and right. But she was still a glass canon, since she was stopped by an arrow if I remember correctly. She just had an insane power output. However, there are other mutants like for example the omega level reality warper Mad Jim Jaspers, who reside outside the regular reality and if they appear in front of you and you kill them, they'd still simply manifest again and turn you into a rabbit. And Thanos can't compete with that, with or without the Infinity Gauntlet.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Didn't read all of the other comments, so maybe your question has already been answered, but:

Thanos is from the planet Titan and belongs to the race of the Eternals, who are capable of manipulating matter in various effects. That alone makes him quite powerful. On top of that Thanos has the Deviant gene inside him, which makes him something like a mutant of his own race (same with regular humans in the Marvel universe and mutants like Wolverine or Colossus). The Deviant gene makes Thanos even more powerful. And on top of all that Thanos has enhanced his own body with various kinds of magic spells and cybernetic parts to become even more powerful. He is obsessed with Lady Death (the personification of the concept of death in Marvel comics) and he always seeks for more power in order to cause more destruction and death in order to impress her.

In mainstream superhero comics power levels are usually split up in various tiers. You have the meta tier for example. A character like Angel (the flying mutant) is considered a low metahuman. A character like Spider-Man is considered a mid metahuman. A character like Captain Marvel is considered a high metahuman.
After the meta humans you have heralds, ranging from low heralds to high heralds. In the high herald tier you usually have characters like Thor, Silver Surfer, Superman and many others.
Then there is the next, somewhat in-official tier, which is known ans the trans tier. It's the link between heralds and skyfathers. Someone like Odin, Thor's daddy, would be considered a high skyfather. That's a character, who can perform magic on galaxy sized scale. High heralds are more or less limited to planetary level and a little bit above levels of power. Thanos is in the middle. He is powerful enough to wipe the floor with pretty much any high herald and a bunch of lower to mid trans tier characters, but on average he losses to every low to mid skyfather and gets stomped into the ground by someone like Odin.

The full Infinity Gauntlet grants Thanos universal power. With that he is capable of easily defeating abstract concepts such as Death, Infinity and others. They have universal power as well, but they're limited to their own concept. They're basically split up amongst themselves and all make one whole. The Infinity Gauntlet makes Thanos that one whole. However, he is still only limited to that one universe, since the Infinity Gauntlet can't influence anything outside that one universe.

It's also worth being mentioned that there are omega level mutants, who are complete anomalies and have FAR more power than the Infinity Gauntlet. Scarlet Witch for example, at the height of her powers, was affecting reality on a multiversal scale. She wasn't just limited to her own universe. She was messing up everything left and right. But she was still a glass canon, since she was stopped by an arrow if I remember correctly. She just had an insane power output. However, there are other mutants like for example the omega level reality warper Mad Jim Jaspers, who reside outside the regular reality and if they appear in front of you and you kill them, they'd still simply manifest again and turn you into a rabbit. And Thanos can't compete with that, with or without the Infinity Gauntlet.
Slow clap :)

A+ post, thanks for the effort involved