What's new

Avengers: Endgame Questions (Megaspoiler Alert)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
You’ll have to pardon me because I’m not super up on the fine details of Marvel lore, but: How did Thanos manage to stomp half the Avengers, alone, with no stones?

When he manhandled Hulk and Thor in the last movie, it seemed like “Ok, he’s strong and he has two stones, so that makes sense” (I think it was the Power stone and one other stone? Can’t remember).

But in Endgame he flies in from the past, zero stones, and bodies the Avengers crew by himself like it’s no big deal.

So I’m wondering if someone who follows the comics can explain this to me :)

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'm not a comics guy, but I assumed that even without the stones he's still a really powerful, really old warrior. He's basically The Hulk except with hundreds of years of elite training.

Also, I assume part of it was just the normal trying to tell a good story, where characters always happen to be just as powerful as they need to be in any one scene.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
He’s supposed to be one of the strongest beings in the Marvel world, as far as I know, even without the stones. This is why he was able to withstand the snap, and also withstand destroying the stones and not dying. He invaded countless worlds before having the infinity stones and wiped out half the population with never getting so much as a scratch. The Hulk is one of the only other beings strong enough to withstand it the snap, as he survived snapping as well. This is one of the reasons why Dr. Strange couldn’t tell Tony how they would win. Because they knew a normal human would 100% die if they snapped.

So yeah, Thanos real strong.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
He’s supposed to be one of the strongest beings in the Marvel world, as far as I know, even without the stones. This is why he was able to withstand the snap, and also withstand destroying the stones and not dying. He invaded countless worlds before having the infinity stones and wiped out half the population with never getting so much as a scratch. The Hulk is one of the only other beings strong enough to withstand it the snap, as he survived snapping as well. This is one of the reasons why Dr. Strange couldn’t tell Tony how they would win. Because they knew a normal human would 100% die if they snapped.

So yeah, Thanos real strong.
The weird thing is though, the Avengers actually did a better job of fighting him when he had stones than when he didn't.

Like, obviously they weren't going to win against the gauntlet, but they definitely put up a better fight.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
This movie was very stupid. So stupid that the directors tell you about things that were supposed to be in the movie but never explained.
For me it was stupid for multiple reasons: They can bring Stark from the past (particularly the day before his death), they could do the same with Black Widow (GAMORA IS THERE) AND if Cap brings the stones back in time it should nullify the pact (how the fuck did he return the red one is beyond me); Stark could have just flown away with that gauntlet ( or just remove one stone), There should be two caps now, since Future cap can’t affect the one from the past.
The biggest one: they could have just used the time stone to go back to 2016 and prepare for Thanos.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
This movie was very stupid. So stupid that the directors tell you about things that were supposed to be in the movie but never explained.
For me it was stupid for multiple reasons: They can bring Stark from the past (particularly the day before his death), they could do the same with Black Widow (GAMORA IS THERE) AND if Cap brings the stones back in time it should nullify the pact (how the fuck did he return the red one is beyond me); Stark could have just flown away with that gauntlet ( or just remove one stone), There should be two caps now, since Future cap can’t affect the one from the past.
The biggest one: they could have just used the time stone to go back to 2016 and prepare for Thanos.
I think I can get why they couldn't resurrect Black Widow, because her death was a pact with the stones themselves, so they wouldn't be allowed to mess with it if they're also using the stones to bring everybody back.

They brought Gamora forward because the Thanos that came with her didn't have any stones, and they were basically undoing what he'd done.

The Captain America thing seems kind of iffy, though. He basically went back and changed his whole past without affecting anything in the future.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
The Captain America thing seems kind of iffy, though. He basically went back and changed his whole past without affecting anything in the future.
I thought the way they handled time travel was that it wouldn't affect anything in the future, at least the future of the universe the current characters are in?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I thought the way they handled time travel was that it wouldn't affect anything in the future, at least the future of the universe the current characters are in?
It definitely did, because in the end Captain America appeared sitting across from the water as an old man. And they didn't notice him coming back -- he was already there. So his actions in the past definitely changed some aspect of the future of the universe they were in.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
For some reason I thought he had come back through the time portal thing, except he did it after he had already grown old.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
For some reason I thought he had come back through the time portal thing, except he did it after he had already grown old.
They were standing there waiting for it, but they turned around and he was already there. And had been sitting there before they noticed him.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
While we're on the subject, did Gamora go back to her own timeline? I had just assumed she did, and that she wouldn't be available for GotG 3.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
I think the literal reason he was able to put up a fight was because he was 'determined' to win and kill them. As opposed to Infinity War where he was just using the Gauntlet to incapacitate them without killing them.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
It definitely did, because in the end Captain America appeared sitting across from the water as an old man. And they didn't notice him coming back -- he was already there. So his actions in the past definitely changed some aspect of the future of the universe they were in.
Yeah but going in the past doesn’t mean you yourself reverse in time. Meaning if you go back in time as a 25 year old in 2020, and go back to 10 years, you will still be 25 and your 15 year old self will also be there. Meaning Captain America in present form went back before he was frozen, so there was technically 2 Captain Americas existing the whole time, 1 was frozen.

Also if you’ve seen the new Spiderman trailer, all the time traveling and infinity stone stuff messed up time lines and universes and shit. So I feel like there will be more explanation.

My thing is, how did Cap return all the stones? Some of those stones were in ridiculous places, LIKE ON ASGARD!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
While we're on the subject, did Gamora go back to her own timeline? I had just assumed she did, and that she wouldn't be available for GotG 3.
That part is really weird. At the end of endgame it looks like they are going to find Gamora. But how is she alive but Black Widow isn’t? Unless it’s the past Gamora that is alive. The entire Gamora situation is probably just a plot hole tbh.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
I think I can get why they couldn't resurrect Black Widow, because her death was a pact with the stones themselves, so they wouldn't be allowed to mess with it if they're also using the stones to bring everybody back.

They brought Gamora forward because the Thanos that came with her didn't have any stones, and they were basically undoing what he'd done.

Yeah, BUT what about the Cap that IS IN THE ICE? Nebula showed us that if the past dies nothing happens to the future character, so... did he die? I doubt it. They just said fuck you to him

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I'll just say that no one went into Infinity War or Endgame getting hype for Mark Ruffalo to play Mark Ruffalo.

Every main Avenger got some kind of decade long arc finished but the Hulk was just "made for this". Professor Hulk was a mistake

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
Not necessarily, there is likely the chance that he just never interacted with anyone dealing with MCU events. (You know besides Peggy Carter) But as we saw if he went to the past, his past self was still in the ice, and probably just existed alongside himself as an old man. Like when young Cap talks to old Peggy in Cap-2, she had already been married and had kids, but never mentioned with who, could have been she had kids with Cap and knew they were together when she was talking to young Cap who had no idea.

The whole ending was weird though. How did Cap manage to stay in that specific timeline? I could have sworn them mention earlier in the movie that it would be split off.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
Not necessarily, there is likely the chance that he just never interacted with anyone dealing with MCU events. (You know besides Peggy Carter) But as we saw if he went to the past, his past self was still in the ice, and probably just existed alongside himself as an old man. Like when young Cap talks to old Peggy in Cap-2, she had already been married and had kids, but never mentioned with who, could have been she had kids with Cap and knew they were together when she was talking to young Cap who had no idea.

The whole ending was weird though. How did Cap manage to stay in that specific timeline? I could have sworn them mention earlier in the movie that it would be split off.
he returned the stones. so he is still in the 'original timeline'.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Yeah but going in the past doesn’t mean you yourself reverse in time. Meaning if you go back in time as a 25 year old in 2020, and go back to 10 years, you will still be 25 and your 15 year old self will also be there. Meaning Captain America in present form went back before he was frozen, so there was technically 2 Captain Americas existing the whole time, 1 was frozen.

Also if you’ve seen the new Spiderman trailer, all the time traveling and infinity stone stuff messed up time lines and universes and shit. So I feel like there will be more explanation.

My thing is, how did Cap return all the stones? Some of those stones were in ridiculous places, LIKE ON ASGARD!
Yeah, I was more referring to the fact that rather than coming back through the portal where they were waiting, he was just already there, meaning that he had changed continuity somehow so that he had come back earlier and was just sitting by the lake.

Otherwise they’d have seen him come back.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
Yeah, I was more referring to the fact that rather than coming back through the portal where they were waiting, he was just already there, meaning that he had changed continuity somehow so that he had come back earlier and was just sitting by the lake.

Otherwise they’d have seen him come back.
he is the unknown father to peggy's kids

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
My take on it is this:

Black Widow's death is tied to retrieving the Soul stone, so even though it is returned it doen not mean the price paid to acquire the stone is reversed. Gamora being there is the one from 2014.

As for how he returned the Reality Stone, hard to tell unless that device Rocket used to extract it from Jane can also...re-insert it? Lol idk to be honest.

Stark potentially flying away with the gauntlet doesn't sound feasible only due to the amount of effort it took to just wear it, let alone wield it. If he removed one stone you would still have to fight a Thanos that has 5 which is basically a losing battle after what happened last time.

The two Caps is an interesting one. There would be the one in the ice and the one in the future. I am guessing Steve lived the apple pie life with Peggy and grew old with her. So when iced Cap comes out, Steve as we know it is already an old man. Nothing in his power set says that he doesn't age.

The last point. Remember Tony said he had to keep everything he has at all costs. So time travelling to prevent Thanos from doing the snap in the first place might change things to where he doesn't have a daughter.