What's new

Australian MKXL Podcast! The Friendly Alliance Ep. 7 Feat. Pan1cMode!

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Welcome to the Episode 7 of The Friendly Alliance Podcast! The Friendly Alliance podcast is an MKX podcast co-hosted by Cabjoy and Gilbagz that is primarily designed for leveling up the Australian scene while highlighting some of our key players and their stories.

In today's episode, Cabjoy, Gilbagz and SpruceMoose (Vlad) have a chat with Melbourne's Pan1cMode. We kick things off with a reminder about upcoming events and an intro into how Pan1cMode got into the fighting game genre and community. We discuss his recent performance in Googie's online tournament #5. We touch on characters we play, including Cryomancer Sub Zero and Jacqui, and go into detail about Triborg. We wrap things up with some Cryo sub discussion, who we think is strong in XL and a short QnA.

Timestamps:
03:30 - Intro and Expand Gong
06:50 - Introducing Pan1cMode! How he got into the scene.
22:55 - What we want for the future of MKXL.
32:23 - Googie's online tournament #5
41:35 - Gilbagz vs Pan1cMode and the Cryo Sub/Full Auto Jacqui matchup
55:00 - Gilbagz on the Cyrax match with Cryo, followed by Triborg discussion
1:06:20 - Investigating Ketchup and Mustard's armour break setups for Cyrax/Sektor.
1:15:15 - Smoke discussion. Vortex, neutral and opinions.
1:31:25 - Cyber Sub Zero discussion.
1:38:15 - Gilbagz sheds some light on the power of Cryomancer. Gets blown up for saying he's top 5.
1:51:00 - Small QnA, the importance of mixing up your wakeup.
1:56:00 - Wrapping things up.

Audio link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/krqxnkdadyjrw0a/The Friendly Alliance Ep 7, feat Pan1cMode (audio).m4a?dl=0

Footage played in the background is from Googie's Online tournament #5, courtesy of GooGieGaming.
Video Link:
Channel Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBiBFC1sQuZmkBgNLoZYHvA

Find Details about Expand Gong here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/962600253834274/

You can find details about the Australian/NZ MKX tournament scene here:
https://www.facebook.com/AusMKXtournaments/?fref=ts

You can find us on Twitter!
Gilbagz - https://twitter.com/GilbagzHong
Cabjoy - https://twitter.com/Cabjoy
SpruceMoose - https://twitter.com/VStankovski35
Pan1cMode - https://twitter.com/Pan1cModeAus
-- Watch live at http://www.twitch.tv/cabjoy

@Pan1cMode
@Tim Static
@Gilbagz
@VladMkd
@JTB123
@Phosferrax
@TheGabStandard
@Undeadjim
@Everyone interested in scenes outside of the US!!!!!

Attachments

Gilbagz

Joker here~
For the record I did say top 5 or just outside top 5 d:

Anyways my ysb performance is supporting your arguments more now lol
Brand new version of the game, gotta learn what the new characters are like

I still stand by at least top 10 though
*Gets ready for blow ups

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
For the record I did say top 5 or just outside top 5 d:

Anyways my ysb performance is supporting your arguments more now lol
Brand new version of the game, gotta learn what the new characters are like

I still stand by at least top 10 though
*Gets ready for blow ups
Nah, sub loses to D'Vorah 8-2. And cryomancer doesn't do any better than grandmaster.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
For someone that trolls other people's opinions on Reptile and Cryomancer, and tags Gilbagz like "lol people think Cryomancer is lacking, time for you to drop some KNOWLEDGE up in here", your explanations of why you think they sit where they do sure kinda... fell flat.

"Cryomancer is great, well because hes just great"

Reptile has almost every tool he has except better tho, and more tools that Cryo doesn't have

"nah, something just feels off about him"

:S okay

Not sure what whose voice it was bringing the logic, mighta been PanicMode, but gotta say his reasoning certainly seemed to put those opinions to rest.

I think Gilbagz just kicks ass with Cryomancer because he is simply an amazing player. Nothing to do with the character, and I think he's just kinda modest about it to be honest. Just my opinion.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Nah, sub loses to D'Vorah 8-2. And cryomancer doesn't do any better than grandmaster.
This a shot at brady? I actually havent watched his new vid yet haha

For someone that trolls other people's opinions on Reptile and Cryomancer, and tags Gilbagz like "lol people think Cryomancer is lacking, time for you to drop some KNOWLEDGE up in here", your explanations of why you think they sit where they do sure kinda... fell flat.

"Cryomancer is great, well because hes just great"

Reptile has almost every tool he has except better tho, and more tools that Cryo doesn't have

"nah, something just feels off about him"

:S okay

Not sure what whose voice it was bringing the logic, mighta been PanicMode, but gotta say his reasoning certainly seemed to put those opinions to rest.

I think Gilbagz just kicks ass with Cryomancer because he is simply an amazing player. Nothing to do with the character, and I think he's just kinda modest about it to be honest. Just my opinion.
I honestly didn't explain why cryomancer is that good lol
And I got blown up pretty bad by everyone in the podcast for even insinuating he was top 5 haha, which he likely isnt
The character is very good though
At the fundamental level he has everything he needs to win, but like the others said so do a lot of other characters, e.g. reptile and mileena.
I still personally rate cryo over reptile just because of damage output and the slightly safer armour in ex burst. Its -10 but its a blink and miss punish.
In a nut shell, the best thing about him is he skews risk reward heavily towards his favour. One correct read on anything, and suddenly you're forced into a mix up situation where risk reward is almost always in his favour.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
And I got blown up pretty bad by everyone in the podcast for even insinuating he was top 5 haha, which he likely isnt
At the fundamental level he has everything he needs to win, but like the others said so do a lot of other characters, e.g. reptile and mileena.
I still personally rate cryo over reptile just because of damage output and the slightly safer armour in ex burst. Its -10 but its a blink and miss punish.
In a nut shell, the best thing about him is he skews risk reward heavily towards his favour. One correct read on anything, and suddenly you're forced into a mix up situation where risk reward is almost always in his favour.
Yeah, they are two very similar characters and (in my opinion) I think overall definitely Reptile is the better character and it's not even a question as he has just about everything Cryo has and better, however Cryomancer isn't COMPLETELY redundant and has some aspects that make him unique just in a more niche way, so I can see the personal preference thing

for example, its cool how you still manage to get mileage out your iceball/ex-iceball in the neutral - most Cryos I've seen don't even seem to know that exists :p

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
This a shot at brady? I actually havent watched his new vid yet haha

Reptile is better than cryo. His tools are mediocre at best and he depends on meter too much. This variation actually needs stagger pressure or something because he's too unsafe. I'd say he's more of a punish character, but with so many others who have save 50/50s and pressure that cryo can only deal with by using meter, he's severely outclassed in most cases.

Lokheit

Noob
The main problems with Cryo Sub are:

- He gets eaten alive by characters with a combination of good reach and safe pressure (Liu Kang, Jax, Cassie, Johnny and Kung Lao are probably his worst match ups).

- Most of his winning matchups are also winning matchups for GM anyway, while GM can also can deal better with the characters mentioned above.

Aside from that he is a decent character that can get some very good momentum (specially against meterless opponents or the ones with terrible or non existent armor) but he is just lacking a single "respect me" tool (like a string starting with the sword on the first hit or much better reach on his Air Hammer so opponents have to respect it and take risks when getting in). If he ever gets that things will look much better. Without that he can't be considered above Mid Tier because even if he can fight with some of the top dogs, there are many others that make life way too hard for him.

Last edited: